Indie Book Club discussion

Off Topic > Any artists out there?

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jeffrey, Lentarian Fire Thrower (last edited Feb 24, 2012 07:42AM) (new)

Jeffrey Poole (authorjmpoole) | 2287 comments Mod
As I'm corresponding with the artist presently working on redoing my first book's cover, I can't help but wonder what it'd be like to be able to picture a scene from a book in your head, then transfer that image to paper and then make it look better than simple 2D stick figures. :)

So I had a thought. Are there any artists out there amongst our members that like to draw? I for one would love to find someone that would love to start a side business and offer to create sketches of scenes, characters, objects, etc., for a reasonable price and a chance to see your art used in a novel. If so, let me know! I'm sure with all of our members in here there'd be more than a few of us that would like to see some of their characters visualized!

Big J

Bakkian Chronicles, Book I - The Prophecy
Bakkian Chronicles, Book II - Insurrection
Bakkian Chronicles, Book III - Amulet of Aria (in progress)

message 2: by Sky (new)

Sky Corbelli | 114 comments The artist who did my cover art typically does 3d models, but she may be interested in artifying other people's stuff. I've got her working on the cover for Water-Seer and creating graphic novels of the stories of the first elementalists (A Kiss of Fire is coming along nicely), but I can ask if she's interested in broadening her interpretive literary vision.

message 3: by Jeffrey, Lentarian Fire Thrower (new)

Thanks, Sky. Yeah, definitely.

Speaking only for myself, I'd just be curious to see how much someone would charge for a quick "pencil sketch" of a scene, or maybe of a certain creature that might be used in a fantasy story.

I thought it'd just might be a nice way for an aspiring artist to get their work noticed more.

message 4: by Michelle (new)

Michelle | 2 comments Hi, I'm Sky's artist/wife. I'd be willing to help other authors out in the art department, though I'm not sure how to price commissioned work (Sky got the special husband price of 'free').

You can find some of my stuff here:
http://mcorbelli.wordpress.com/

Message me if you're interested :)

message 5: by Jeffrey, Lentarian Fire Thrower (new)

Hi Michelle!

I checked out your website. Very impressive! What I'm particularly interested in is possibly a cleaner rendering of my BNP, namely Bug of Nightmarish Proportions. If you click on my profile pic you'll see what I mean!

Is that something you can do?

message 6: by Ken (new)

Ken Jeanis (KenJeanis) | 20 comments I agree, Michelle's website is great and I think she will get a lot of interest. Roughly...would you be comfortable posting a guestimate of a price for a cover??

message 7: by Michelle (new)

Michelle | 2 comments I'm glad you guys liked my site, I appreciate it.

As far as price goes... maybe $30 for a colored sketch and $100 base for a cover, with slightly less/more based on complexity? Does that sound reasonable? I really have no idea how to price these things...

message 8: by Ken (new)

Ken Jeanis (KenJeanis) | 20 comments That sounds very reasonable! I am sure you will generate a lot of interest, hopefully you'll get some business out of it. I don't expect to start writing again until April, so I won't have need for cover art for a little while. When the time comes, I will send you a note :)

Ken