What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Suggest books for me > Happy Ending, please!

Comments Showing 1-20 of 20 (20 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Shauna (new)

Shauna (smilesandsunshine) | 6 comments I just finished a historical fiction book that left me sad and uncomfortable. I want a well written book that I can download on my kindle and read in bed while I'm getting over a cold.

I like everything from ya fantasy to historical fiction to adult lit fiction. I even like non fiction when it reads like a novel. Please and thank you. Shauna

message 2: by Kristen (last edited Feb 24, 2012 11:14AM) (new)

Kristen | 84 comments Could you list some of your favorite books? It'll be easier to recommend something if you are more specific with what you like and are looking for.

message 3: by Shauna (new)

Shauna (smilesandsunshine) | 6 comments I like The Help, Water for Elephants, The Book Thief, some Kate Wilhelm mysteries, and the Cat Who mysteries, for a start.

message 4: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 37567 comments Mod
If you like nonfiction that reads like a novel you might like The Devil in the White City: Murder, Magic, and Madness at the Fair that Changed America. I hated it, but then I like my nonfiction to read like nonfiction.

A great piece of nonfiction is The Perfect Storm: A True Story of Men Against the Sea.

message 5: by Kristen (new)

Kristen | 84 comments Maybe you should read some fairy tales. They almost always have happy endings. I personally like Robin McKinley's retelling of Beauty and the Beast called "Beauty" and her retelling of Sleeping Beauty, "Spindle's End".

message 6: by Yue (new)

Yue | 137 comments You could try any chick lit, if u are into that kind of books. Every chick lit book I have read it ended well: Confessions of a Shopaholic; Bridget Jones's Diary; Can You Keep a Secret?

message 7: by Cathy (last edited Feb 26, 2012 05:19PM) (new)

Cathy | 30 comments Shauna wrote: "I like The Help, Water for Elephants, The Book Thief, some Kate Wilhelm mysteries, and the Cat Who mysteries, for a start."

I like those first three a lot also - Have you read The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society - its a really nice read.

message 9: by Shauna (new)

Shauna (smilesandsunshine) | 6 comments Sakura wrote: "You could try any chick lit, if u are into that kind of books. Every chick lit book I have read it ended well: Confessions of a Shopaholic; Bridget Jones's Diary; [book:Ca..."

Actually, I started that one. I had borrowed it and needed to return it, but I could pick it up again.

message 10: by Shauna (new)

Shauna (smilesandsunshine) | 6 comments Thanks for the suggestions, everyone!

message 11: by Erin (new)

Erin | 192 comments Try the Flavia de Luce series, first one is The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie

I love this series, it's fun!

message 12: by Kristina Marie (new)

Kristina Marie | 137 comments If you like The Cat Who you might like The Agatha Raisin series as well as the Hamish MacBeth one.

message 13: by Melissa (new)

Melissa You should just go check out all my books. I only like books with happy ending and books that are clean. I have so many! Good luck!

message 14: by Darcy (last edited Feb 28, 2012 10:59AM) (new)

Darcy (drokka) | 211 comments Erin wrote: Try the Flavia de Luce series, first one is The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie

I love this series, it's fun!

I completely agree!

message 15: by Emily (last edited Mar 05, 2012 12:36PM) (new)

Emily Tuckett | 11 comments I loved The Merchant's Daughter by Melaine Dickerson. It's a fairytale rewrite with a strong female character, and a happy ending. And It's clean. I loved it! I did a feature on my Blog. Here:
http://mynoveladdiction.blog.com/2012...

message 16: by Natalie (new)

Natalie | 149 comments Just saying, I love The Book Thief too, and it ain't exactly a happy ending.

Anyhow, I like the same types of thing. I'd recommend The Silver Donkey and Thirteenth Child. The latter's good, and it's reasonably happy, but if you're expecting romance, I warn you. You'll feel a bit duped.

What else...

The Evolution of Calpurnia Tate is fantastic (it's got a little feminist streak, and it's amazingly written), When You Reach Me is...bittersweet, but great nonetheless.

I LOVE the Leviathan books, all three of them.

The Invention of Hugo Cabret is not exactly light reading, and probably not my first choice for a Kindle, but it's still good. The Night Circus is also probably not my first choice, it's not terribly uplifting.

For shorter stuff you could try Before We Were Free, but it wasn't my favorite, personally. Same goes for Al Capone Does My Shirts, sequel included.

Hope I helped.

message 17: by D.J (new)

D.J Stardust is a great book for when you're feeling a bit crappy

message 18: by Darcy (new)

Darcy (drokka) | 211 comments The Year of Secret Assignments has a great ending.

message 19: by Helena (new)

Helena | 36 comments Mosquitoland has a similar feel to the books you listed :)

message 20: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 37567 comments Mod
Killshot is suspense.