Basically Books! discussion

The Night Circus
This topic is about The Night Circus
Former Group Reads > The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern (March 2012 Group Read)

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Tara-Jayne (♥ I Read, I Love ♥) , The Great & Mighty Mod! :P (last edited Feb 24, 2012 07:04AM) (new) - added it

Tara-Jayne (♥ I Read, I Love ♥)  Bell (tjchocolate) | 1628 comments Mod
GoodReads Description

The circus arrives without warning. No announcements precede it. It is simply there, when yesterday it was not. Within the black-and-white striped canvas tents is an utterly unique experience full of breathtaking amazements. It is called Le Cirque des Rêves, and it is only open at night.

But behind the scenes, a fierce competition is underway—a duel between two young magicians, Celia and Marco, who have been trained since childhood expressly for this purpose by their mercurial instructors. Unbeknownst to them, this is a game in which only one can be left standing, and the circus is but the stage for a remarkable battle of imagination and will. Despite themselves, however, Celia and Marco tumble headfirst into love—a deep, magical love that makes the lights flicker and the room grow warm whenever they so much as brush hands.

True love or not, the game must play out, and the fates of everyone involved, from the cast of extraordinary circus per­formers to the patrons, hang in the balance, suspended as precariously as the daring acrobats overhead.

Written in rich, seductive prose, this spell-casting novel is a feast for the senses and the heart.

Feel free to talk about the whole book but please use the spoiler brackets where necessary.
< spoiler > write your message here < / spoiler >
(without spaces)

Jessi | 49 comments I want to read this so badly! I have been on the waiting list at my library forever now. Hopefully I can get it soon. I think I'm still number 12 or something.

message 3: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (kevinj) | 10 comments I'm still on hold too. Hopefully will get it soon.

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

I really liked this book, it totally sucked me in, though it took a little while to get a handle on the way it jumps around chronologically.

I thought the imagery was lovely and very vivid. It was also the first book I've read that I could easily place in the 'magical realism' genre as I was never too sure what that actually meant - then I read this and thought 'oh - so that's it!'.

Rebecca (rebeccasg) I loved this book! I didn't really know what it was about before I read it but I got hooked. I'm so glad this is the March book!

message 6: by Rea, Ghost (new) - rated it 5 stars

Rea | 1992 comments Mod
Everyone I know who's read it loved this book. I haven't started it yet but I hope to read it this month. It sounds like it could well be just my cup of tea but the mention by Audrey Niffenegger on the front cover has me a bit nervous as I didn't like the book that I read by Niffenegger.

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

Rea wrote: "Everyone I know who's read it loved this book. I haven't started it yet but I hope to read it this month. It sounds like it could well be just my cup of tea but the mention by Audrey Niffenegger on..."

I felt the same when I saw Stephenie Meyers recommendation on the front of the Hunger Games but thankfully my fears were unfounded!

Jessi | 49 comments Just checked my library website & it says it's in transition to arriving at my library for me. So hopefully I will be able to finally start reading it this week. YAY!

message 9: by Rea, Ghost (new) - rated it 5 stars

Rea | 1992 comments Mod
Jessi wrote: "Just checked my library website & it says it's in transition to arriving at my library for me. So hopefully I will be able to finally start reading it this week. YAY!"

Woo! Lucky you! Just in time for the group read. :p

message 10: by Rea, Ghost (new) - rated it 5 stars

Rea | 1992 comments Mod
I see what you mean by having a hard time getting used to the time jumps, Emma. The first time I read a chapter from Bailey's PoV (when he's going through with the dare to get something from the circus) then the next chapter was about setting up the circus itself I was really confused! I'm getting to grips with it now, though.

Jessi | 49 comments I finished it & absolutely loved it. Can't wait to talk about it with you guys.

message 12: by Rea, Ghost (new) - rated it 5 stars

Rea | 1992 comments Mod
I finished it on Saturday. I meant to only read parts 1&2 but ended up reading the whole thing. :p

I loved the story, I thought it was very touching. It's a far cry from what I normally read but that didn't seem to matter here.

I've seen a lot of people shelved it as YA fiction (though it's stocked in the adult section in my local stores). Do you think it's YA? I don't, I felt it was aimed more at an adult audience.

Rebecca (rebeccasg) I didn't really get the feeling that it was a YA book while it was reading and I'm really surprised it's being shelved like that. I agree that it was more aimed for adults.

message 14: by [deleted user] (new)

Agreed, I didn't see it as a YA novel. Maybe it's just because magic has become such a popular theme in YA books?

message 15: by Rea, Ghost (new) - rated it 5 stars

Rea | 1992 comments Mod
It could be that it's being shelved YA because of the magic. The main characters are also for the most part in their late teens / early twenties (except the twins, of course) and I see a lot of books shelved YA because of the ages of the characters.

Though the book may appeal to older teens, I'm not sure whether the style itself would appeal to the younger spectrum of the YA audience. Plus, I really felt that this was a case where a lot was left unsaid in the narrative and it was left up to the reader to come to their own conclusions. I usually find this device works more with adults than younger readers.

Jessi | 49 comments I would have to say I wouldn't consider this YA either. Definetely fiction for adults.