Fantasy Book Club Series discussion

The Crippled God (Malazan Book of the Fallen, #10)
This topic is about The Crippled God
Malazan Book of the Fallen > The Crippled God-Book III-To Charge the Spear & Book IV-The Fists of the World

Comments Showing 1-21 of 21 (21 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Maggie, The Malazan Queen of Chaos (new) - rated it 5 stars

Maggie K | 1202 comments Mod
Stormy has returned to tell the Bonehunters of their new allies, but Tavore sends them off as well.

Seems she really does want all this to be unwitnessed, doesn't she?

I don't know about you, but I found Felash sending her handmaiden into what was supposed to be Omtose Phellack (but clearly wasn't) kind of funny...especially as she seems to have some superhuman powers....now what the heck is she?????

Shelley (shelley69) | 597 comments Mags are you sure that wasn't Omtose Phellack? The handmaiden brings back Hood's Death Ship which would have been from the realm of the Jughut, or Omtose Phellack.

Page 373 (in book 4 I believe) when Gesler is talking to Bent telling that damn dog he would die for him is the first time I teared up in this book! There are many more times to come, I've booked marked them all! :)

message 3: by Maggie, The Malazan Queen of Chaos (new) - rated it 5 stars

I think later on they are talking about where she really was and there was some theorizing it was somewhere else.....maybe I read it wrong though, I have to go look again.

What did you think of the scene where Silchas went to Coltaine's 'eternal fall' for a sword, and found all the gods plotting to kil the crippled god?

Shelley (shelley69) | 597 comments Yeah seeing Silchas and Shadowthrone there was pretty weird, althought where they actually were is still a question for me! Where they in the realm of Chaos or Death's realm!?! Dessambre was there!!! Hmmmmmm....wonder if this is a part of Traveler!!

message 5: by Amelia (last edited Feb 24, 2012 10:26AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Amelia (narknon) | 523 comments This is just me being amazed at the writing again.

I never, ever would have guess the ulitmate motive of the gods - greed and power-hungry. I should have, but I guess I thought gods were better than humans and had actually learned to be better. I was wrong. Turned out the humans were better than their gods.

message 6: by Maggie, The Malazan Queen of Chaos (new) - rated it 5 stars

Shelley wrote: "Yeah seeing Silchas and Shadowthrone there was pretty weird, althought where they actually were is still a question for me! Where they in the realm of Chaos or Death's realm!?! Dessambre was ther..."

At the end of the scene though, ST says to Dessembrae that his mortal body has embraced humility, and that he had wondered where the Pride had went, and now he knows....

blows me away!

Shelley (shelley69) | 597 comments Maggie wrote: At the end of the scene though, ST says to Dessembrae that his mortal body has embraced humility, and that he had wondered where the Pride had went, and now he knows....blows me away!..."

YEAH Maggie that was SOOOOOOOOO crazy!!! The whole sceen!

message 8: by Maggie, The Malazan Queen of Chaos (new) - rated it 5 stars

I almost hate when SE does all these little snippets of various POV from an army-you know some serious fight is about to go down and kill half of them.....ergh....

oh and this Otataral dragon that's all chained up??? Could make for some serious problems...just sayin'

Shelley (shelley69) | 597 comments And one wonders what effect Otataral has on the Assail, who are feeding off the Crippled God's heart, and the Otataral Dragon or anything Otataral for that matter!

message 10: by Maggie, The Malazan Queen of Chaos (new) - rated it 5 stars

the joys of magic negation! So, Otataral sword should not matter to the Otartal dragon...but Hust would kill it? or is Hust magical?

So the scene where Equity goes to volunteer her services to Falash and insists on knowing who her Jaghut 'sponsor' is? kinda wierdly hilarious!

Shelley (shelley69) | 597 comments That is a hilarious scene....also love Shraq's responce to Hood! What's important in that scene is that the Forkal Assail are not all on the same page!

message 12: by Maggie, The Malazan Queen of Chaos (new) - rated it 5 stars

I kept thinking about chocolate easter bunnies....

message 13: by Lee (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lee (kiwifirst) Some deep divisions at the Assail household, which is going to make the final battle interesting.
The handmaiden certainly deliver the goods can't she? Go steal a boat, ok here is one, belongs to a big guy, he wants to join us.
Not a bad days work for the allies.

Couple of surprises for me, characters that I expected to return before now. Karsa for one and Felesin, after she went off and set up that temple for the unhappy, I thought the Crippled God story would be ideal time for her to come back. Ah well, still plenty of book to go.

Shelley (shelley69) | 597 comments Lee wrote: "Some deep divisions at the Assail household, which is going to make the final battle interesting.
The handmaiden certainly deliver the goods can't she? Go steal a boat, ok here is one, belongs to a..."

I too was looking for Karsa this whole book!! I know there was a page or two in the first chapter that included Karsa, but for the rest of the book I kept asking....WHERE'S KARSA??!!

That handmaiden is a beast!! Hmmmmm wonder what she is!!?? :)

message 15: by Maggie, The Malazan Queen of Chaos (new) - rated it 5 stars

I was the same way about Karsa...and all that part really told was that Samar let him into her bed....lol

message 16: by Lee (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lee (kiwifirst) we need to start new discussions for further books. I think I just found out who Edgewalker is and where the Snake comes from and and and.........

I cant stop reading. Maggie cant you put up the thread for all the books so we can chat now!?

Shelley (shelley69) | 597 comments Lee wrote: "we need to start new discussions for further books. I think I just found out who Edgewalker is and where the Snake comes from and and and.........

I cant stop reading. Maggie cant you put up the t..."

I agree with Lee Maggie, I'm almost done, just about 150 pages left!

So wasn't the scene with Tulas Shorn, (the dead dragon that escaped the realm of death when the Tailgate went thru their last time) and Ruin interesting!! Tulas was called Prince and then we find out that HE was Shadow's true prince! WOW! Also these two have decided to fight together against what is coming...the Eliant storm!

message 18: by Maggie, The Malazan Queen of Chaos (new) - rated it 5 stars

lol-I am finished with this part oo, it ends on the scene with Gesler and Bent! How awfully sad, thinking about Truth and his sacrifice.

message 19: by Maggie, The Malazan Queen of Chaos (new) - rated it 5 stars

and What about the Shield Anvil and his mutiny??? Is this the betrayal they were warned about?

and...is he right? Does their obligation to the wolves usurp helping Tavore save mankind? We have seen that the wolves are just ready for some blood shed afterall....

Amelia (narknon) | 523 comments Tanakalian really confused me. I liked him at the beginning. He seemed reasonable enough. Then he goes and pulls this stunt. What a jerk leaving his allies high and dry like that!

Shelley (shelley69) | 597 comments Amelia wrote: "Tanakalian really confused me. I liked him at the beginning. He seemed reasonable enough. Then he goes and pulls this stunt. What a jerk leaving his allies high and dry like that!"

Yeah he confused me too! His thoughts have been along a "Glory" train of thought, glory for him virses glory for The Mortal Sword, instead of what's really important here!