SciFi and Fantasy eBook Club discussion

Monthly Nominations > April Fantasy Theme Nominations

Comments Showing 1-30 of 30 (30 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (last edited Feb 27, 2012 02:54AM) (new)

It's time to start nominating books for the April Fantasy Theme: Prophesy. For this round, since we are a much larger group than we were at the beginning of the year, I would like to try a round of nominations with seconding before a book is added to the list.

So, Everyone can nominate a book and can second someone else's book. Once a book is seconded, and if it fits in the theme :-) then it will go onto the list we vote off of. After we have 5 or 6 books, I'll open up a poll ....

April Fantasy Theme Books
Good Omens by Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman
The Second Coming by David H. Burton
The Innocent Mage by Karen Miller
The Eye of the World by Robert Jordan
Wizard's First Rule by Terry Goodkind
The Last Prophet by Jeff W. Horton

message 3: by Michael (new)

Michael (demzer) | 9 comments I nominate Good Omens. Good Omens by Terry Pratchett Good Omens by Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchett. It's a comic tale about the end of the world and an angel and demon who have come to like the earthly plane and aren't too happy about that. Also involves the Prophecies of a witch who it turns out was the only authentic seer in history. It's quite a good read and the comic tone is a nice change of pace from all the hardcore fantasy stuff.

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

I will so second Good Omens - I love that book and I don't want to give Charles a chance to second it first.

message 5: by [deleted user] (last edited Feb 24, 2012 08:05AM) (new)

I'm going to nominate The Innocent Mage by Karen Miller.

The Innocent Mage (Kingmaker, Kingbreaker, #1) by Karen Miller

I've heard good things about this one but never quite got around to reading the series.

message 6: by Sannie (new)

Sannie Hald (sanniehald) The Eye of the World (Wheel of Time, #1) by Robert Jordan

There's a prophesy in it, but it is a part of a series.. so..

message 7: by David (new)

David Horton | 1 comments I'd like to nominate The Last Prophet by Jeff W. Horton by Jeff W. Horton.

It's based on the book of Revelation in the Bible.

message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

Sannie wrote: "The Eye of the World (Wheel of Time, #1) by Robert Jordan

There's a prophesy in it, but it is a part of a series.. so.."

Hey, that counts ...

message 9: by [deleted user] (new)

I'd like to nominate: The Second Coming by David H. Burton

message 10: by stormhawk (new)

stormhawk | 75 comments I'll second the Second Coming.

message 11: by Robin (new)

Robin | 17 comments Nominating China Mieville's Kraken. The priest of Cthulhu are the good guys; and there's a teleporting taxidermied giant squid. Here's a link to the amazon page where I bought my copy: http://www.amazon.com/Kraken-ebook/dp...

message 12: by Robin (new)

Robin | 17 comments Going to read Good Omens whether it wins or not, though! It sounds fun!

message 13: by Carey (new)

Carey Bostwick (carebear11) | 40 comments I read Good Omens and it is good, however, I would like to second the nomination for The Innocent Mage by Karen Miller.

The description of the books sounds interesting.

message 14: by Laura (new)

Laura Hart (lobopub) | 12 comments Hi Geoffrey,

Well, dammit, I'm writing a sequel to The Toy Sorcerer entitled, 'The Final Prophecy' - can we re-run this some time in November? :)

Would I be way off topic if I put forward George Orwell's 1984?

Laura 1984

message 15: by [deleted user] (new)

I would like to nominate Wizard's First Rule Wizard's First Rule (Sword of Truth, #1) by Terry Goodkind the entire series is about prophesy

message 16: by Teresa (new)

Teresa (rainbowlover) stormhawk wrote: "I'll second the Second Coming."

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA you SECOND the SECOND Coming! Hee-hee
I'll third it

message 17: by Fabio (new)

Fabio | 1 comments I'll second the Eye of the world!

message 18: by Laurie (new)

Laurie (lbeach) I second the Wizard's First Rule. One of the best series I have ever read.

message 19: by [deleted user] (last edited Feb 25, 2012 08:01AM) (new)

This is a gooooood list ... do we want 1 more?

message 20: by Cloey.k (new)

Cloey.k (cloeyk) | 14 comments I like the choices that are listed here already - anymore and I will not be able to decide, hahaha. I am adding most of these books to my TBR list because they seem like they will be very good reads!

message 21: by Charles (new)

Charles (nogdog) Small Gods by Terry Pratchett.

Small Gods (Discworld, #13) by Terry Pratchett

message 22: by Steph (new)

Steph Bennion (stephbennion) | 84 comments Can I be very silly and suggest Watership Down? It starts with a prophecy. It came to mind because Christopher Booker raves about it in The Seven Basic Plots: Why We Tell Stories (itself an excellent read, by the way).

Otherwise, I second Good Omens...

message 23: by [deleted user] (new)

Charles wrote: "Small Gods by Terry Pratchett.

Small Gods (Discworld, #13) by Terry Pratchett"

D'Oh! I already used my second! I love this book!

message 24: by Sannie (new)

Sannie Hald (sanniehald) Nando wrote: "I'd like to nominate the Eye of the World by Robert Jordan"

Already did :D ! So you can second it! :p

message 25: by Sherri (new)

Sherri Arnold | 1 comments I'd like to second Wizard's First Rule.

message 26: by Eric (new)

Eric (paladinboy) The Bone Doll's Twin by Lynn Flewelling

message 27: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Ariel (rachelariel) | 1 comments I'd like to second The Last Prophet

message 28: by [deleted user] (new)

This is a great list ... I'm going to go make the poll now ...

message 29: by Jeff (new)

Jeff Shanley (Mavonduri) | 14 comments I'd like to second The Last Prophet.

And I'd also like to nominate my own novel if that's ok, MATHION: BOOK ONE OF THE MAVONDURI TRILOGY. Prophecy is a major element in the book, as the main character Mathion possesses the ability to foresee events with great clarity, and his life itself is also prophesied to have a great impact on the Wolven's war with the Werewolves of Kânavad.

message 30: by Jeff (new)

Jeff Shanley (Mavonduri) | 14 comments Oops nevermind. Just read Geoff's last post. Apologies!