Shut Up & Read discussion

Archives > House of Night?

Comments Showing 1-21 of 21 (21 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Hope (new)

Hope So, this is my first post, so I hope I've done it "right". I'm just curious if anyone has come across or read any of the YA series, House of Night, authored by PC Cast and her daughter. If so, I'd like to hear your thoughts :-)

message 2: by MeMe Belikova (new)

MeMe Belikova First lady Ivashkov (AliceBelikovReads) | 950 comments I read all the books except the newest one, but it is sitting on my shelf waitingfor me. I love this series and have enjoyed most of the books. I'm team Stark if you really want to know :)

message 3: by MeMe Belikova (new)

MeMe Belikova First lady Ivashkov (AliceBelikovReads) | 950 comments I read all the books except the newest one, but it is sitting on my shelf waiting for me. I love this series and have enjoyed most of the books. I'm team Stark if you really want to know :)

Terri ♥ (aka Mrs. Christian Grey) (mybookboyfriend) | 198 comments Yes, I've read through book 5 or 6. I have strong feelings about this one. I don't think that it should be classified as YA. I understand the way of the world, but frankly I wouldn't want my daughter to read PC Cast version of it. A lot of things I wonder about the messages sent to young adult females. They aren't good in my opinion.

As an adult, I found it interesting enough to push through as far as I got. But I most likely will not read anymore unless I have nothing else. With my TBR list as long as it is, that is doubtful.

message 5: by Gayatri (new)

Gayatri | 368 comments I have read all the books in the series except the newest one. I love this series and its definitely worth reading !

message 6: by Karina (new)

Karina Kantas I loved the first book, but didn't like the others. I forced myself to read up to book 6 as I was writing reviews for a book group.

I think the authors waste too much time recapping. The books are so repetitive. Only half the book has any story.

I have no intention of reading any others by these authors I can't understand why they are so popular when there are many great fantasy series out there.

@Teri I don't think that it should be classified as YA.

I agree. There are many YA novels far too much adult content to be classed as YA.

message 7: by Hope (new)

Hope I think I like the different "take" on the vampire world. The writing, well..."eh" is the best I can describe it. As far as comparing it to others, I'm fairly new to the fantasy genre so unfortunately I don't have much to compare it to. I do enjoy reading the series though, and will most likely continue reading for a few reasons, 1) I have to see how it all ends! (same reason I had to watch the unfortunate The Godfather partIII!) 2) I really enjoy the supporting characters (Gma Redbird, Damien and Stevie Rae).

And I also agree that the YA classification may be a bit off. Some things definitely made me blush and other "scenes" I don't think young girls should be taking cues from.

Thanks to all for the discussion! I enjoyed reading everyone's viewpoints :-)

message 8: by Irene (new)

Irene (raenne) I've tried to read the first book three times and ended up selling it. So boring! Maybe if you're 10 it's a good book, but I really can't see it.
don't mean to offend you, it's just my opinion :)

message 9: by Beth (new)

Beth (beth_jones8) i read the first number of books and i evenutally got to the point where it was such a struggle to get through them. i think they just dragged it on for much too long.

message 10: by Bai (new)

Bai (sleepy_reader) | 113 comments I initially loved the series, but the latest books I really hate. I'm not planning on getting the last book

message 11: by Beatrice (new)

Beatrice Masaluñga (beatricemasalunga) I love them all! but I'm tired of waiting for the next book :\

message 12: by Lizze (new)

Lizze Gorski | 26 comments I initially picked the first book in the series up on a whim (at Best Buy of all places! lol) and instantly fell in love. I've since read all the books in the series - including one of the supporting novellas, Dragon's Oath - and I love all of them as well.

@Karina - I have to respectfully disagree with your opinion that there is too much recapping. At least I don't feel there is anymore recapping than any of the other series out there (Harry Potter - which I LOVE - comes to mind).

I do have to agree with the fact that while it may be about Young Adults; it definitely shouldn't be classified as such. There are scenes between Zoey and Stark that I wouldn't want my YA reading, for example.

Oh and @Alice, I'm Team Stark as well! :-)

message 13: by MeMe Belikova (new)

MeMe Belikova First lady Ivashkov (AliceBelikovReads) | 950 comments Irene wrote: "I've tried to read the first book three times and ended up selling it. So boring! Maybe if you're 10 it's a good book, but I really can't see it.
don't mean to offend you, it's just my opinion :)"

ouch lol!

message 14: by Beatrice (new)

Beatrice Masaluñga (beatricemasalunga) Hidden (House of Night, #10) by P.C. Cast
- the book cover... uggh too much contrast :\

message 15: by Yasmani (new)

Yasmani | 79 comments The new cover is really different from all the other covers.

message 16: by Melissa (new)

Melissa Gonzalez (lissamia4) I love all the books. This book is different then twilight in the vampire aspect.

message 17: by Duks (new)

Duks (cnduks_) | 1836 comments Been meaning to read this series. Everywhere I go, I see one of those books. Is it worth reading?

message 18: by Alana ~ The Book Pimp (last edited Oct 14, 2012 11:19PM) (new)

Alana ~ The Book Pimp (loonyalana) | 374 comments Baisakhi wrote: "I initially loved the series, but the latest books I really hate. I'm not planning on getting the last book"

This is the same way I feel. Luckily, I read them via the library and did not spend any money on the series. I loved it so much (at first), I joined the online fan club and such. Now every time I get an email from it I groan and hiss, I need to cancel it.

message 19: by Maddie (new)

Maddie (maddisonbruce) | 549 comments I've read the first one twice and I loved it! I own the second one but still haven't gotten around to reading it. I do plan on buying the whole series, and I hope they're not like what you guys are describing them. I was really looking forward to reading them! Now... I'm just not sure...

message 20: by Camilla (new)

Camilla (cyqua) I think the take on the vampire world is unique and different, so that's why I liked the first book.

However, the writing (in my opinion) is quite abysmal... I'm usually not too picky about fabulous writing if the story is strong enough to distract me, but the (to me) extreme attempt to write like a teenager would think is just SO overdone and annoying that I forced myself through the first 4 books for the story and then really gave up! I actually disliked it after the first one... :S

And if anyone is ever in doubt as to what is meant by a character being a Mary Sue - look no further! Zoe is the PERFECT example of a Mary Sue that is desired by all, more powerful than all the most powerful and just plain awesoooome in all ways... :)

message 21: by Andy (new)

Andy I love this series. It's such a fresh spin on Vampyres with all the sparkling ones and whatnot. It's also spelled different which makes it more appealing. I know this series is kinda long but the books are so good and its just easy to slip into the characters' minds. And then you've finished the book and can't wait for the next one. I really want to know how they're going to end this series. When i get to the end of every book, i'm always wondering: Will this be the last Book?