Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (Harry Potter, #6) Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince discussion

Was Lily Snape ever considered by Lily Evans?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 111 (111 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by K (new) - rated it 5 stars

K I think anything is possible since that story never went into very much detail. The way the movie made it seem was that they were best friends and while she loved Snape, she wasn't IN love with him. Maybe J.k. will get bored one year and write a little novella about James, Lily, and Snape while they were at Hogwarts.

Amanda I'm very sure she always loved him just not in the way that he loved her. I think it was as a dear friend even though they weren;t close any more. I don't think she ever would have loved him that way even if James had never come along. If you compare James and Snape they are both just so different that I don't think she would feel like that about Snape. Just look at the Harry/Hermione/Ron thing - Hermione and Harry may have had more in common and would seem a good pair on paper but they had no feelings toward each other in that sense, it was always Ron and Hermione.

http://divaliciouzbookreviews.blogspo...

Maria Fernanda  Gonzalez I totally agree with what Amanda said! And there is also the fact that Snape and Lily were closest when they were children. By the time girls start to develop romantic feelings, they were already at Hogwarts, and the relationship between them probably were full of complication factors, which might have kept Lily from taking that step.

Erik morales this is the best seller

Hina I don't think Lily ever loved Snape the way she eventually began to love James. Obviously she loved Snape in a way, I mean she was his best friend and what he did to her caused such an impact; it broke her. I think JKR said that Lily could have eventually fallen in love with Snape, but he chose the wrong path.

I'm a Lily/James fan through and through though.

message 6: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia "Maybe J.k. will get bored one year and write a little novella about James, Lily, and Snape while they were at Hogwarts."

Hope so!

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

In one interview Rowling did say that if Snape hadn't got involved with the Death Eaters and stuff, that their relationship might have evolved into more.

message 8: by Victoria (new) - added it

Victoria Law I think JKR wanted to put Lily and Snape's relationship in there because it was something unlikely, that the reader wouldn't guess, and also something that bound Snape and James, who have nothing else in common-love for Lily. But I don't think when JKR created a cast of characters she ever wanted Snape to be more of a crushing best friend who hates Harry for James getting Lily over him.

msprongs James and Lily were perfect for each other. I don't think she really considered Snape because he put the dark arts over their friendship.

message 10: by Victoria (new) - added it

Victoria Law True...but he proved alright in the end. He would have died for her.

msprongs Victoria wrote: "True...but he proved alright in the end. He would have died for her."
James died for her as well.

msprongs Siu Loong wrote: "Jade wrote: "James and Lily were perfect for each other. I don't think she really considered Snape because he put the dark arts over their friendship."

But if he hadn't..."

I don't know. I feel like people just like Snape because he died for Lily "after all this time". I mean, James sacrificed himself for Lily and Harry so they could get away and escape Voldemort. Plus, James was persistent and won Lily over, while Snape was obsessing over Death Eater stuff.

message 13: by Hina (new) - rated it 5 stars

Hina I agree with Jade.

Ridhi Vohra I believe no but I also think that if he had given up dark arts there might have been a chance. Though for me Jame Lily forever :D

Ridhi Vohra *James

Maria Fernanda  Gonzalez Even if Snape HAD given up the Dark Arts, I still don't think he and Lily would be together. We have to remember that the said love Snape felt about Lily was a selfish thing. He didn't want to be her partner (like James), he wanted to own her - that is clear in the fact that he wouldn't mind that her son be killed, as long as she was alive. So I think that sooner or later Lily would feel suffocated, which would make a romantic relationship almost impossible. With or without the Dark Arts.

message 17: by [deleted user] (last edited Feb 25, 2012 07:09PM) (new)

Maria Fernanda wrote: "Even if Snape HAD given up the Dark Arts, I still don't think he and Lily would be together. We have to remember that the said love Snape felt about Lily was a selfish thing. He didn't want to be h..."

I don't really get how you get to the conclusion that he wanted to "own her". If Snape had the option Lily or Harry living, of course he would choose Lily! Just like if Lily and Snape had a child, who do you think James would rather live? (view spoiler) How does that mean he wants to own her?

The only reason that Lily and Snape grew apart was because Snape became involved in the Dark Arts, otherwise, according to J.K. Rowling, they would have probably gotten together. Now, whether or not they stayed together is arguable.

Here's the link to the interview where she talks about Snap and Lily: J.K. Rowling Interview

message 18: by Hina (new) - rated it 5 stars

Hina Heaven wrote: "Maria Fernanda wrote: "Even if Snape HAD given up the Dark Arts, I still don't think he and Lily would be together. We have to remember that the said love Snape felt about Lily was a selfish thing..."

I think what she means is that Snape was always quite possesive over her, like the two of them not being seen with any of Snape's friends etc. And we can only assume that James would do the same as Snape. I personally don't think so.

I agree with your next part though.

Ciara I think that, at their first year or so at Hogwarts, they were great friends, and maybe Lily did love Snape like a brother as they had known each other for a while now.

At one point, perhaps Lily did love Snape. Just maybe, she doubted James. But Snape's love of Dark Magic and choice of friends (and maybe because he was in Slytherin House?) made her change her mind.

But in my opinion, if Lily loved Snape, even if only a tiny bit, she would have spoken up and wouldn't have let herself be pushed around by either of them.

Cliona Siu Loong wrote: "I hope so!
I sort of liked Lily/Snape more than Lily/James. Is that weird?"

No I sort of do too! James was kind of a pig :P

Nichole Wolfe I think a lot of fans like the Lily/Snape idea because...well, we get to know Snape more than James. We really only get the teenage, bully James (very one-sided), and the self-sacrificing, loving father, husband adult James (again, only one aspect of his character) Snape, we get to see a lot of different sides of him throughout the series. He is one of the most mysterious, intelligent, and intriguing characters in the entire series as well. Lily was the only girl he ever loved, at least according to what Rowling has given us, and the way he lost her to a bully like James is kind of sad. I'm wondering if him losing Lily to James is actually what made him sink so far into the Dark Arts? Perhaps if he had gotten his HEA with Lily, she could have pulled him away from it all???

message 22: by Hina (new) - rated it 5 stars

Hina Nichole wrote: "I think a lot of fans like the Lily/Snape idea because...well, we get to know Snape more than James. We really only get the teenage, bully James (very one-sided), and the self-sacrificing, loving ..."

I don't think that's true at all. Lily and James started to go out in their seventh year when we know that Lily and Snape broke off all their ties in their fifth year. Snape was already so involved into the Dark Arts that there is no one else to blame apart from himself. He was too far gone.

Nichole Wolfe I wasn't sure how involved he was in the Dark Arts when he and Lily parted ways. It was just an idea. Is that why Lily parted ways with Snape? Because of his interest in the Dark Arts?

Raven P Siu Loong wrote: "But still...James was kind of a jerk, no?"

Yes... but James changed for Lily. Snape could only change after he caused her death.

Raven P Siu Loong wrote: "Does it make me less of a fan if I don't like that Harry's parents got together?"

no, it makes you a regular fan with different opinions, that's all...
... though I do suggest fanfiction ;)

message 26: by CASI (last edited Mar 08, 2012 06:53PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

CASI Black As for the question.. Of course at the end of the story I, myself became very fond of Severus Snape.. We can't change what had become of Lily and James, but I just hope Lily showed a lot of love for Sev back in their times together, Sev being her best friend for life. Lily and James were meant to be together as husband and wife and as for Lily and Severus, they were meant to be the best of friends Hogwarts can have as an example of a great friendship a Gryffindor and a Slytherin could have.

http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/8... - Jumbled Words - new game folks..:)

Aiyana, A PotterWhoLockian i think that she always thought of him as a brother/friend, not romantically

message 28: by Bea (new) - rated it 5 stars

Bea Siu Loong wrote: "Wynter wrote: "Siu Loong wrote: "But still...James was kind of a jerk, no?"

Yes... but James changed for Lily. Snape could only change after he caused her death."

I don't believe that. I think t..."

I have to agree, I think there was change even before she died..

Leonor I agree that she loved him as a friend.

message 30: by Habz (new) - added it

Habz JK Rowling has said that Lily could have fallen in love with Snape, but it was the idea of him messing with the dark arts that put her off.

Also James and Lily are acctually suited, guess Lily matured him or something. I also believe the theory that Lily and James were actually soulmates...this theory came from the fact that JK Rowling said that a persons Patronous is a representative of their soul...so knowing that James was a stag and Lily's patronous was a doe... just goes to show:)

message 31: by Juli (new) - rated it 5 stars

Juli I could be remembering this wrong, but didn't Snape ask Voldermort to spare Lily, but not James or Harry? (if true) I think that shows that Snape still had some love issues. Wanting a man dead so you can take is wife doesn't sound very nice to me. I think we were able to see Snape change through the series, which was a fun change, but having not been able to watch James change makes deciding who is 'better' for Lily a little one sided. (I am a James fan, I like to think that he did change and mature as all kids do, hopefully) :)

Aiyana, A PotterWhoLockian Yes Snape did ask Voldemort to spare Lily but not James and Harry. At the end when we see Snapes memories in the pensive, we find all this out. But, we should think about the fact that James's animagus is a Stag, while Lily's patronous (we think) has always been a doe. this is another reason to show that James and Lily were soul mates. i don't get why Snapes patronous was a doe though because if he really loved lily wouldn't it be a Stag????????

Please Pardon my spelling

Raven P Bea wrote: "Siu Loong wrote: "Wynter wrote: "Siu Loong wrote: "But still...James was kind of a jerk, no?"

Yes... but James changed for Lily. Snape could only change after he caused her death."

I don't belie..."

Well yes... there was obviously regret. But my point is: he only became the man Lily would consider marrying/having a relationship with after she died. While James became that man while they were both still alive and well. He didn't change because of a tragedy, he changed for love. Snape changed for regret.

Sarah I think she did when the first met in the park, but when they went to hogwarts I think she just started feeling sorry for him.

message 35: by Hina (new) - rated it 5 stars

Hina Siu Loong wrote: "But I still feel like James wasn't as good as Snape would have been. James wanted to own Lily, he wanted a devoted wife and picked the one he couldn't get. (Or so everyone thought in his days at Ho..."

Just no. No. *takes a deep breath*

Lily Evans wasn't an item, a toy or a possession. She was a living, breathing human being who didn't have to be 'owned' by anyone. She had a brain, she was one of the smartest witches of her ages, do you not think that she could have made her own choices?

I don't know where you got the idea of a devoted wife from. James was in school, he was a teenage boy. I don't think teenage boys look for wives in school. I don't understand why you're saying 'couldn't get'. Lily wasn't a trophy. James was an arse, he was. But he was also a kid who couldn't understand why a girl disliked him so much and started to pursue her. He changed, he grew up. Why else do you think Dumbledore made him Head Boy? He fell in love with Lily and she fell in love with him.

Snape didn't join Voldemort after he thought he would never get Lily. He had already chosen his path when he decided to hang out with future Death Eaters and call Lily, his best friend a 'mudblood'. It was his fault. HE lost it all, not anyone else.

I also think you're failing to remember that Snape was the one who told Voldemort about the prophecy, so it was also a part of his fault that Lily and James that night in Godric's Hollow.

Snape was a selfish, horrible, horrible man who never did grow up. He was bitter and filled with remorse and guilt right up until the day he died.

Sarah I don't think Lily suited Snape or James, personally. I think she should have gone for someone else.

Aiyana, A PotterWhoLockian Hina, i agree with you, but i do think that he became a better man...after lily and james died.

message 38: by Hina (new) - rated it 5 stars

Hina Siu Loong wrote: "Hina said: Siu Loong wrote: "But I still feel like James wasn't as good as Snape would have been. James wanted to own Lily, he wanted a devoted wife and picked the one he couldn't get. (Or so every..."

Dumbledore did trust him after he ruined two families and joined up with the Death Eaters. And even after Dumbledore started trusting him didn't make Snape a good guy. Dumbledore trusted Snape in making sure Harry didn't die. Snape did this because of how guilty and remorseful he felt. It didn't stop Snape from acting like a complete bastard. He picked on students. What good person does that? He held a schoolboy grudge for his entire life. What good person does that?

Just because Snape helped protect Harry doesn't make him a good person and doesn't make me a pessimist. I'm allowed to dislike characters. Hell, even JK Rowling said that Snape was a horrible, horrible man throughout his life. Well, Snape got that second chance didn't he? But at what stakes? At what costs?

Jessica I think that Lily did love Snape, at some point. They were childhood friends and there was a bond between them that was special. But snape called Lily a mudblood, and I think that was the straw that broke the camels back for lily. I think it is so sad. poor snape. He never found anyone that he loved like her. And the fact that he secretly watched out for Harry all those years just made me cry! Poor Snape. He has always been one of my favorite characters in the books.

Jessica To answer a question from above about why Snapes patronus was a doe like lily's instead of a stagg... Snape was so altered by his love for Lily that it took on her patronus' form. Remember what happened when Tonks fell for Lupin...? Same thing.

Aiyana, A PotterWhoLockian Thanks, Jessica...

message 42: by Hina (new) - rated it 5 stars

Hina Siu Loong wrote: "Hina wrote: "Siu Loong wrote: "Hina said: Siu Loong wrote: "But I still feel like James wasn't as good as Snape would have been. James wanted to own Lily, he wanted a devoted wife and picked the on..."

No he didn't. Unlike Snape, James grew up, he deflated his head he grew into a better person.

I also don't really see Lucius Malfoy as a despicable person. A coward and a follower, yes, but I don't think he should be hated, he should be pitied upon.

message 43: by Hina (new) - rated it 5 stars

Hina Siu Loong wrote: "To hina: Maybe not, but there are people like Voldemort for you to direct your hatred towards, instead of a good guy."

I really can't understand why I can't dislike Snape just because he protected Harry, it doesn't make him as a person good or noble or heroic despite how fantastic his character may be. Also just because Voldemort is supposed to be our main evil villain here doesn't mean other people aren't-not evil, but just horrible and mean and cruel and selfish who by no means are good people.

Charlie agreed. Snape's cast in the shadows. Forced even through circumstances, And he was thrust-ed in Harry's world. I would have not bothered with the boy if i'd be in his position, I'd despise him, but Dumbledoor, although he didn't mean it (I'm sure) have toyed with Snape's emotion for Lily. And he was given instructions to be cruel, and to not being cruel at the same time, it's total madness

Kendyl I'm sure she loved him, but more of loving him like a best friend that's a guy because he's like a brother to her. My thoughts anyways, I haven't read the series in a very long time and haven't seen the movies for a while either.

message 46: by Amber (last edited Apr 14, 2012 06:24PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Amber Alright, I just need to throw in my two cents here.

The only thing we ever really see of James in his school years is that he was a huge bully and self-centered. Honestly, the ONLY decent thing we see James do as a student is save Snape from a werewolf attack, and that's not even "being a good person," that's having some common sense that you shouldn't kill people. I don't know how anyone can claim that they think Lily and James were soul mates just from having seen James as a kid. The only way we can think this is because Jo said it was so.

The idea that Lily "matured" him is just plain ridiculous. Do you really think Lily would have been the type to settle for an immature guy she's turned down for years just to see if she could change him? Changing your significant other doesn't ever work in real life. Lily deserves better than that. James must have done something to prove himself to her before they got together. That is the only way I could see her actually wanting to marry him.

Never once did I get the impression that Snape wanted to "own" Lily. Never once did he give off the idea that he thought she was an object to be "owned." He was her childhood friend, they grew up together, and he IMMEDIATELY regretted calling her a mudblood. I'm not excusing him for doing that, but the fact that he instantly knew he screwed everything up shows he did NOT think she was a replaceable thing to be owned.

Him telling Voldemort to spare her does not equal "oh please kill her husband so I can steal her." Are you joking? Seriously? He knew Lily wanted nothing to do with him anymore. He'd accepted it by that point. He loved Lily, and he knew Voldemort was out to kill. Out of desperation, the "newbie" death eater stood up to Voldemort and asked him to spare Lily. Saying that he wanted James dead to steal Lily is just disgusting on all levels...

The reason why Snape's patronus is a doe? His only fond memories are of Lily. Just because it isn't a stag doesn't mean they weren't meant to be. I don't remember reading once that patronuses dictated love lives. Hermione was an otter and Ron was a dog. -__-

Trust me, I fully support Lily/James simply because Jo says that's how it was meant to be, and because Snape cared too much too late. But these reasons for not supporting Lily/Snape are just borderline crazy.

Charlie Siu Loong wrote: "I hope so!
I sort of liked Lily/Snape more than Lily/James. Is that weird?"

not really. I think the Lily Snape pair would work. Only its the best friend versus the rebel guy squabble that made Lily (JK) decide, and she choose the rebel--of course *sigh*

message 48: by [deleted user] (new)

Amber wrote: "Alright, I just need to throw in my two cents here.

The only thing we ever really see of James in his school years is that he was a huge bully and self-centered. Honestly, the ONLY decent thing we..."

Well, you have to remember that the readers (and Harry) only ever gets third party information about James. When Sirius or Lupin talks about him, he's Mother Teresa but when you look at it from Snape's point of view James is Satan himself. Unfortunately since he's dead, we know basically nothing about him.

But I completely agree about the whole "Snape is a possessive freak" thing is completely ridiculous.

Julia She was considered Lily Evans, seeing as that was her name..
I'm just a tad confused.......... >_<

Izzie It is very possible that Lily could have fallen for Severus. They were best friends before Hogwarts and were still friends for a while, at Hogwarts. She stood up for Severus when James was bullying him which shows that she still cared for him at that time, one could speculate that she still cared for him even after he called her a Mudblood(which he has always regretted)because we are told by so many people including Snape that she was a kind caring person. So i guess if he never called her that or had tried to sincerely apologize (did he try to apologize?) then maybe their friendship might have turned into something more, who knows?(only J.K Rowling).

« previous 1 3