Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Harry Potter, #7) Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows discussion

Does anybody else dislike "19 years later"?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 108 (108 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

Luchionka I was very disappointed with the 19 years later. It wasn't unexpected at all, and frankly stupid... :3

I had always thought, from book one, Harry/ron/hermionie would get married to someone else but their friends.

The question why is left after reading the LAST section. I was so mad after I read this... It was no grand finale after that giant battle happened.

I think Ron would be much better off single :D I don't know why!!

george ☽ No, I loved it! I'm glad we got to find out what happened to everybody and I loved the pairings! :)

Amanda No I really really liked the epilogue. It was obvious from the first book I think that Ron and Hermione would be together. As much as I don't really like Ginny I do think her and Harry are a perfect match for each other.

http://divaliciouzbookreviews.blogspo...

Helen Stevens Siu Loong wrote: "I don't really like 19 years later very much...I was never able to really envision Harry with Ginny or Ron with Hermione...I thought Harry + Cho and Hermione + Victor Krum and Ron + er...nobody? Gi..."

I liked 19 years later. It was good to see that they'd gone on to live happy lives, marry and have children, completing the circle. It seemed that in the world of Hogwarts, characters often ended up marrying their school sweetheart...Harry's parents, Ron's parents, etc, so I expected to see those pairings in the end.

You seem to favour the Goblet of Fire pairings/would-be pairings!

Ciara Loved it, loved the pairings! The series couldn't be more perfect! :D :D :D

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

I loved it too. :) It was cool to see their kids. Who married Malfoy though???

Rose I didn't mind it... it obviously wasn't the best part of the book, nor was it particularly surprising, but it was kind if nice to round it of by showing them a long time after all the events of the book, just because it was nice to imagine them actually having lives after the book.

Rose Alexis wrote: "I loved it too. :) It was cool to see their kids. Who married Malfoy though???"
I think it was Pansy Parkinson... though I'm not entirely sure. It's the one who was always fussing over him :S

Erin I liked it, but at the same time, it seemed like it was kind of thrown in and rushed. I just wish there was another series about Harry and his family or something... just cuz I love the books!

message 10: by Summer (last edited Feb 24, 2012 04:21PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Summer Lane Rose wrote: "Alexis wrote: "I loved it too. :) It was cool to see their kids. Who married Malfoy though???"
I think it was Pansy Parkinson... though I'm not entirely sure. It's the one who was always fussing o..."

No, he married a girl named Astoria, actually.

Summer Lane I love the whole 19 years later. It ensured the happily ever after! :)

message 12: by Victoria (new) - added it

Victoria Law Helen wrote: "Siu Loong wrote: "I don't really like 19 years later very much...I was never able to really envision Harry with Ginny or Ron with Hermione...I thought Harry + Cho and Hermione + Victor Krum and Ron..."
I do, because I believe in first loves...Cho was Harry's first love.

Heather I was 'ehh' with the epilogue, I loved Ron and Hermione together, and Harry and Cho, but idk the whole chapter seemed odd. The names were a little odd, but most in the series are odd, but it felt like a nice closing up.

I don't believe Harry ever "loved" Cho, it was a small crush that led to a first kiss and then it was over.

I agree that it seemed rushed, and I wish it was a chapter longer, or had more of an explanation, but it ensured a nice Happily Ever After, which after so many amazing characters who died in the book, it was nice.

message 14: by CASI (last edited Feb 28, 2012 01:07AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

CASI Black A peaceful ending for a very troublesome plot, that will do for me but I still wanted it in print that Harry became their savior and that everyone knew after all that he was really the chosen one. Well it's for all of his sufferings and for the "I won't tell lies" branded in his hand.

http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/8... - Word Game folks.. all about Harry Potter world.

Faith Lowery I had higher hopes TBH.... but .... if it was time to be the end, then it was time. But I didn't like 19 years later :(

Jeanie I had no problem with the pairings at the end and was reassured to know that not only did life go on, but it had at least sufficient normalcy to have the Hogwarts express leave on Sept 1 as usual.

My biggest problem with it was the expectation that we would learn about everyone's fates and what happened to them. JKR changed her mind about doing that for creative reasons. I would have preferred more info. Also, as a person who always knew Snape wasn't a total bad guy, I still never warmed to him and a few pages wasn't enough time to accept him sufficiently not to be a little revolted that Harry named Albus Severus after him. *shivers with distaste*

Kamalika Talukdar it was nice to see that things returned to normal after the big battle..also i was curious to know what harry would have looked like as a young adult,though i wish the writer had written something about when he just turned 18 0r something....his romance with Ginny and how things righted themselves after the dark lord's death.i wish the girl could have looked like him..a miniature she-harry. and i so very wished for his romance with Hermione!! and about everyone else ,what happened to them...

message 18: by Mooni (last edited Feb 28, 2012 10:47AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Mooni
Kamalika wrote: also i was curious to know what harry would have looked like as a young adult,though i wish the writer had written something about when he just turned 18 or something

Agree, I didn't like the 19-years after much (it had sort of fan-fiction feel to it) and I would have preferred catch a glimpse on how the re-builing started or really just a fun and relaxing episode from the time, while they all were still young and with no kids (with awkward names) around.
And even though I know Harry wanted to become an auror I feel that Hogwarts lost a lot, when he did not become the teacher of dark arts, cause OoP did show he was perfect for a job like that.
And although all the romance with Ginny did make me giggly in a fangirl way (perhaps any kind of romance would have done, regardless of the girl?), then I sometimes wish he had married Luna instead.
(ps. don't get me started on the 19 years after in the film, that was god-awful!)

Lex Alexis wrote: "I loved it too. :) It was cool to see their kids. Who married Malfoy though???"

He married Astoria Greengrass. Daphne Greengrass' younger sister by two years. (Daphne was sorted into Slytherin at the same time as Draco)

message 20: by Mary (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mary Smith I thought it was a bit lame, as though JKR realised she needed to finish off somehow and this was a good idea at the time. I agree with Monique, the movie version of it was truly terrible.

Taylor I thought it was rushed, and maybe a little too understandable compared to the rest of the novels, but I appreciate it.

message 22: by Xdyj (last edited Mar 07, 2012 11:36PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Xdyj I don't like the canon pairing but after most of the events in book 7 this is probably the most natural outcome imo. I do like the epilogue though b/c I think it provides a sense of closure and shows how ppl go on with their normal life in peace after all the fighting and sacrifice. I haven't watched the movie but I always thought this part can be made into a beautiful, emotional scene.

message 23: by CASI (new) - rated it 5 stars

CASI Black Yeah for me it's kind of a bit shortcut, but still the outcome was good... It's just that I wanted to know what had happened after the Hogwarts war? I want to know how they treated Harry after that. :))

http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/8... - Jumbled Words - new game folks..:)

Natalie Walker I hated 19 years later, I like to think it was never there personally.
Also, because I'm a Harry Potter Slash writer I like to think of Harry as gay anyway soo...... But if he had to be with a female character I'd of chosen Hermione :)

Lauren I liked it! :)

Katie I liked the 19 years later. It wasn't really an ending. The ending was after the big battle. The 19 years later felt more like a new beginning. Perhaps one day she will write about Harrys children. Or perhaps someone else will.

As far as who everyone ended up with. That was pretty much a given in the first couple of books. The way Hermione & Ron were with each other. Think about that age. Most girls and boys are like that with each other because they like each other. And the HUGE crush that is so obvious with Ginny towards Harry in book two. It's only fitting that Harry ended up with her. Their affection and love for one another grows in each book as does the love and affection between Hermione & Ron. I think Rowling did an awesome - beginning - with the 19 years later.

Sarah Elizabeth I hated '19 years later'. such a lame ending!

message 28: by T (new) - rated it 5 stars

T I enjoyed it. It would have been great to find out what happened to Hagrid, and to Malfoy, I was a little puzzled as to why there was no mention of them as they were such key characters.

Nichole Wolfe "I do, because I believe in first loves...Cho was Harry's first love. " ~Victoria~

Cho was Harry's first crush, not love.

I didn't mind the Epilogue. Ron and Hermione were obviously meant to be from the beginning. Not fond of the Harry/Ginny pairing. I like Luna better for Harry. Harry's a pretty serious character, obviously given his predicament in the series, and I think Luna's quirkiness would have been a nice balance for him. I always liked Ginny with Neville personally.

Turtles All the Way Down I didn't like the 19 years later either. I understand why she did it, a good number of her fans would have been livid had she not, but it still felt out of place to me.

I didn't mind the pairings much, but I do believe Ginny shouldn't have let Harry name the Children. James Sirius isn't bad, but Albus Severus and Lily Luna are a tad stupid. God help their fourth child, it will end up being named Dobby Hedwig Potter.

Gemma I hated it too, I couldn't believe she ended the series in that way when I read it. It was ridiculously anti-climatic, I understand that Rowling wanted to end it so she could move on but it just seemed like something she added at the last minute to get it over and done with.

Taryn "Dobby Hedwig Potter"

Haha I laughed out loud on that one. :) Yes, I think it was a bit much to recycle all of the names for their children, probably one child with the middle name of Albus or Severus would have sufficed. But it was nice to see them grown up and moving on with their lives - but not forgetting.

Brianna I am kind of surprised that after that epic battle they were able to go back into society and then live their normal lives just like everyone else. I was expecting something more like LOTR, when the hero has experienced too much and isn't able to go back home or to fit in like he once did.

message 34: by Yona (new) - rated it 4 stars

Yona Oh my yes. I thought it read like a bad fanfiction. I try to pretend it doesn't exist.

Giuliana I thought the 19 years later in the book was good but I was really upset with the movie because it was hard to understand what was going on.

Jovlyn Louise I like it because it was nice to visualize the characters' lives after the series. It's a true conclusion that did not leave us fans hanging. It definitely wasn't the book's finest moment, but I thought it was a nice addition nonetheless.

As for the pairings... I thought it made absolute sense. Especially Ron + Hermione. They are so opposite that they complement each other! They're so cute together! I've been rooting for them since book 1 :)

♥ Alexia -Team Malec ♥ I LOVED IT!!! i just wish it was longer :(

Samia Ruponti God help their fourth child, it will end up being named Dobby Hedwig Potter.

haha!!!! nice one!

I always wanted the three of them to stay friends, specially harry. I am sorry to be a cynic, but I have never really bought harry-ginny romance. It seemed like a crush to me,for both parties.

Sarah I liked the epilogue, but I would have prefered it to be longer. I guess I'm just too curious about the years in between that. There was lacking just a little bit of explanation as to what they did in those 19 years after the battle, in my opinion.

message 40: by Kim (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kim The epilogue felt like it was tacked on to play fanservice to readers.

Swathika Manu I liked it, but Draco was better off with Pansy, not Astoria.

Gatha G I really loved the 19 years later.i felt very content and satisfied.

Michael Mcdaid The 19 years later did seem tacked on. I felt it was not needed. I like it, but fans did not really need it. But I guess if she did not add it people would get mad that there was not much of conclusion.

message 44: by Gatha G (last edited Mar 20, 2012 07:48AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Gatha G If she hadn't written it we would have been left wondering abt what happens at the end?who marries whom?so guess it was necessary.

i love the last para abt the scar not hurting part.

Eline I always felt like Neville and Luna would end up together. They would have make a great couple!

Tjala i agree it was all a bit too perfect and surreal. i know harry potter isnt a realistic concept in the first place but the ending was to plain and obvious. she could have at least put a twist in it: eg: Hermione and Draco got married!

Samia Ruponti Tjala wrote: "i agree it was all a bit too perfect and surreal. i know harry potter isnt a realistic concept in the first place but the ending was to plain and obvious. she could have at least put a twist in it..."

yikes!!!!!! that's some imagination!!! :P

Tjala well, it was all a bit obvious, i know i would have done something like that! : )

Rue123 i <3 19 yrs later!!!

Blujeanbooks96 I quite liked the epilogue for all the reasons the other people in this discussion have noted, but I did feel that maybe it didn't have to be there because enough was sort of implied by the end of the actual book.
But having said that,I quite liked it. I mean it sort of seemed right that Ron/Hermione Harry/Ginny. And I liked how it concluded that Harry named his kids after Snape, Dumbledore and his parents. It sort of shows he still... respects them and thinks of them. And the epilogue sort of concludes everything, shows that they've all moved on and made a future and things like that. I could go on forver haha
So yep. Everyone has a good point :)

« previous 1 3