VAMPS-R-US discussion

Who is your Favorite Author?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 50 (50 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Dan, Deadly, dangerous and out for blood..... (new)

Dan (dan2345) | 648 comments Mod
Thought this might be fun. Name your favorite author.

message 2: by Creature (new)

Creature | 124 comments Hello:
For vampire stuff, definitely Brian Lumley.
Have a Great Day!!!
John (aka, The "Creature")

Tammy ~Witching Hour Reads~ (03tammy-lynn) Kelley Armstrong, I love her work.

message 4: by Rayna (new)

Rayna  | 1785 comments too many, i dont have 1 favorite but i have a top 5.....so here it goes

1. Karen Marie Moning
2. Richelle Mead
3. Rachel Vincent
4. JR Ward
5. Diana Gabaldon

Not all of these authors write about vampires though

message 5: by Scott (new)

Scott Baker | 73 comments It's a tie between Ed Lee and Graham Masterton.

message 6: by Tiffany, *nIGHT mISTRESS* on a MisSiOn! (new)

Tiffany (vampoholic) | 3255 comments Mod
Too damn many!!!!! Though ATM I would have to say Kresley Cole. Unlike most authors she doesn't try to make her bad guys go all soft. Even when they do find they're one true love/mate they remain who they r, and will kill/mame anyone who fucks with their bride. Even the bad guys in her books u can't help but to come to love. And she does her research on each and every faction of paranormal she brings to her series; lycans, vampires, valkeries, sorceri, witches, wendigos, phantoms, demons.......u name it!

message 7: by Pisces19 (new)

Pisces19 | 196 comments For vampire literature only? Or favorite in general?

I would say these are probably my current top 5. I would read or have read probably anything they would write:

1. Anne Rice
2. Neil Gaiman
3. Robin McKinley
4. Jane Austen
5. J. K. Rowling

Anne Rice and Neil Gaiman are tied as my favorite authors though, but Rice wins for vampire authors.

message 8: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (cooks) | 411 comments I would have to say Richelle Mead, Kelley Armstrong, Jeanine Frost are deff in the top but their are quite a few more

message 9: by Dan, Deadly, dangerous and out for blood..... (last edited Mar 10, 2012 12:04AM) (new)

Okay, I was just curious to see what everyone would say.

As far as my favorite authors of all time are concerned...I would have to go with...

STEPHEN KING
(there is a reason why this guy's last name is "King")

As far as vampires go, I would say...

1.)Bram Stoker-Hands down, no one did it better than he did!!!
2.)Anne Rice
3.)Laurell K. Hamilton
4.)P.N. Elrod
5.) John Skipp & Craig Spector (that's two authors, but they were a team! LOL)
6.) John Steakley
7.) David Wellington
8.).)Again...Stephen King (he kicked ass with Selem's Lot!)

And as for other authors...

1.) Edgar Allan Poe
2.) H.P. Lovecraft
3.) Mary Shelley
4.) William Peter Blatty

For Non-Horror authors...

1.) J.R.R. Tolkien
2.) John Grisham
3.) Robert Ludlum
4.) Chuck Palahniuk

message 10: by Rjsmommy (new)

Rjsmommy | 326 comments For Vamps:
1. JR Ward
2. Sherrilyn Kenyon
3. Lara Adrian
4. Scott Mariani
5. Stephenie Meyer (she did re-ignite my love for the vamps!)

For Non-Vamp Contemporary
1. Stephanie Tyler
2. Suzanne Brockman
3. Larissa Ione
4. JRR Tolkien
5. George RR Martin

message 11: by maria (new)

maria ♡ (maivvaa) | 37 comments Have to many I will only name some
Richelle mead
Ellen schreiber
Melissa de la Cruz
Claudia gray
Becca Fitzpatrick
P.C Cast
Aprilyne Pike
Rachel Caine
Rachel Vincent
I have to many that's all I will name

message 12: by Tiffany, *nIGHT mISTRESS* on a MisSiOn! (new)

LOL. Some very good choices. But stick with us and ur gonna hafta legnthen it!!!!

message 13: by maria (new)

maria ♡ (maivvaa) | 37 comments That is what I'm hopping for :)

message 14: by Rjsmommy (new)

Rjsmommy | 326 comments Hey Maria...I've read all those except for RAchel Vincent and Aprilyne Pike. I'm reading a new YA vamp series I just found called "Crusade". It's pretty good...you would probably enjoy it. ALso, did you read Gray's "Fateful" or her newest "Balthazar"?

message 15: by maria (new)

maria ♡ (maivvaa) | 37 comments Aw no is the Balthazar good I want to read it so badly
Rachel Vincent wrote the soul screamer series you should read them
Apriylan pike wrote wings , spells ,and illusion her last book is coming out in may I think I'm waiting for it to come out
Who's the author of crusade the name sounds familiar

Tammy ~Witching Hour Reads~ (03tammy-lynn) Rjsmommy wrote: "Hey Maria...I've read all those except for RAchel Vincent and Aprilyne Pike. I'm reading a new YA vamp series I just found called "Crusade". It's pretty good...you would probably enjoy it. ALso, ..."

I read Fateful Fateful by Claudia Gray , I loved it, it was a nice quick read, I really enjoyed it.

message 17: by maria (new)

maria ♡ (maivvaa) | 37 comments You should really read the books from aprilyn pike and Rachel Vincent
Who wrote crusade it's sounds familiar?

message 18: by Rjsmommy (new)

Rjsmommy | 326 comments Crusade (Crusade, #1) by Nancy Holder

Nancy Holder...she also did the Wicked series

message 19: by maria (new)

maria ♡ (maivvaa) | 37 comments Hm never heard of her I'm gonna look for that book sounds interesting thanks for the recommendation :)

message 20: by Tiffany, *nIGHT mISTRESS* on a MisSiOn! (new)

So what kind of vamps do you like? Tame, erotic, violent or YA?

message 21: by Rayna (new)

Rayna  | 1785 comments hmmmmm....im tame erotic and violent.....not to much in the YA section only because i like to imagine my vamps all hot and sweaty!

message 22: by Tiffany, *nIGHT mISTRESS* on a MisSiOn! (new)

LOL. Not you nut!!!! Maria! Wanna know what type of books we should reccomend.

message 23: by Rayna (last edited Mar 22, 2012 07:17AM) (new)

Rayna  | 1785 comments oh....well fine then, be that way! *wink*

you know my tastes anyway....i should have known better....lol

message 24: by Tiffany, *nIGHT mISTRESS* on a MisSiOn! (new)

Uh yea!!!! LOL

message 25: by maria (new)

maria ♡ (maivvaa) | 37 comments I like ya maybe just a little violent

message 26: by Tiffany, *nIGHT mISTRESS* on a MisSiOn! (new)

Hmmmm........

Well you've already ready VD. How about this one?

Hex Hall (Hex Hall, #1) by Rachel Hawkins Demonglass (Hex Hall, #2) by Rachel Hawkins Spell Bound (Hex Hall, #3) by Rachel Hawkins

message 27: by maria (new)

maria ♡ (maivvaa) | 37 comments Hm they look intresting i should look for them :)

message 28: by Tiffany, *nIGHT mISTRESS* on a MisSiOn! (new)

Be sure u do!!

message 29: by Angela (new)

Angela McPherson | 180 comments My Fav Authors:
Richelle Mead
Julie Kagawa
Lauren Kate
Becca Fitzpatrick
Kody Keplenger *possible misspelt*
Stephanie Meyer
E.A. Poe
Okay this is crap because I can't remember names!!! I should really look into that, lol!
Feels like I haven't been on here in FOREVER! (Sorry y'all)

message 30: by maria (new)

maria ♡ (maivvaa) | 37 comments I've heard of most of those authors except kody and E.A Poe :)

message 31: by Rjsmommy (new)

Rjsmommy | 326 comments Maria wrote: "I've heard of most of those authors except kody and E.A Poe :)"

EA Poe...Edgar Allan Poe who wrote classic short stories like "The Tell-Tale Heart", "The Black Cat","and Red Masque of Death" as well as poems such as "Annabelle Lee" and "The Raven".

I'm sure you know him as he is typically required reading throughout school...probably the initials just threw you off.

message 32: by Angela (new)

Angela McPherson | 180 comments Ha! Thanks RJ:) Maria I'm sure you've heard of good 'ol Edgar Allen;)

message 33: by Tiffany, *nIGHT mISTRESS* on a MisSiOn! (new)

LOL. U confused her Ang!!!

message 34: by Angela (new)

Angela McPherson | 180 comments I tend to do that a lot, lol;) thank goodness RJ was there to settle things up.

message 35: by Tiffany, *nIGHT mISTRESS* on a MisSiOn! (new)

True! LOL Bout to start some more writing, I just had to redownload Microsoft Office, major suckage!

message 36: by Angela (new)

Angela McPherson | 180 comments I bet!!!

message 37: by maria (new)

maria ♡ (maivvaa) | 37 comments Hm well my english teacher doesnt to a good job of teaching then cause i never heard of that name

message 38: by Pisces19 (new)

Pisces19 | 196 comments Maria, where are you from?

message 39: by maria (new)

maria ♡ (maivvaa) | 37 comments California why?

message 40: by Pisces19 (new)

Pisces19 | 196 comments I was just wondering. I am also surprised that you have not heard of Edgar Allen Poe and just thought maybe it is because he is a classic American author.

message 41: by Dan, Deadly, dangerous and out for blood..... (last edited Mar 30, 2012 08:42PM) (new)

Wait...sorry...I don't mean to be mean, but...you've never heard of....Edgar Allan Poe?????

message 42: by maria (new)

maria ♡ (maivvaa) | 37 comments Nope omg I feel dumb for not knowing who that is I am like the only one who doesn't know edgar allan Poe from here that's so embarrassing :(

message 43: by Pisces19 (new)

Pisces19 | 196 comments Hey, no worries! No reason to feel embarrassed, it is just that he is a pretty popular classic American author that is pretty much required reading throughout school for most of us. But there are probably a lot of authors you might know that I have never heard of that you might be surprised at too. However, this needs to be remedied immediately. He is kind of the grandfather of American horror stories. You should look him up. His writings are brilliant.

message 44: by Rjsmommy (new)

Rjsmommy | 326 comments I recommend starting with the short stories and poems I mentioned in my comment. Instead of "Red Masque of Death" though, I suggest "The Cask of Amontillado" (a favorite of mine...so much irony in this one) And here's a great website that I use with my classes...

Audio stories of Poe

TellTale Heart, Black Cat, and The Raven are all here and are read out loud for you.

Here's a link for audio reading of Cask...

Cask of Amontillado audio

message 45: by Pisces19 (new)

Pisces19 | 196 comments Oooo!! I'll second "The Cask of Amontillado"! Also one of my favorites! So creepy! Wasn't there one called Monkey's Paw, too? Or something like that? That was another one I really enjoyed, but of course The Raven and Tell Tale Heart are probably his most famous works.

message 46: by BITE ME (new)

BITE ME (biteme84) | 163 comments OOOh i got the perfect book for you Nevermore (Nevermore, #1) by Kelly Creagh it has to do with poe its an amazing read

Cheerleader Isobel Lanley is horrified when she is paired with Varen Nethers for an English project, which is due—so unfair—on the day of the rival game. Cold and aloof, sardonic and sharp-tongued, Varen makes it clear he’d rather not have anything to do with her either. But when Isobel discovers strange writing in his journal, she can’t help but give this enigmatic boy with the piercing eyes another look.

Soon, Isobel finds herself making excuses to be with Varen. Steadily pulled away from her friends and her possessive boyfriend, Isobel ventures deeper and deeper into the dream world Varen has created through the pages of his notebook, a realm where the terrifying stories of Edgar Allan Poe come to life.

As her world begins to unravel around her, Isobel discovers that dreams, like words, hold more power than she ever imagined, and that the most frightening realities are those of the mind. Now she must find a way to reach Varen before he is consumed by the shadows of his own nightmares.

message 47: by Rjsmommy (new)

Rjsmommy | 326 comments Oooohhh...that does sound good!

message 48: by maria (new)

maria ♡ (maivvaa) | 37 comments Oh I have heard of that book it looks interesting

message 49: by Joeera (new)

Joeera  | 50 comments This book was awesome. I couldn't stop thinking about it after i read it. Isobel is a great character and you are eager to see what happens with her. Plus Varen is a fresh addition to the love intrest for our heroines

message 50: by Tiffany, *nIGHT mISTRESS* on a MisSiOn! (new)

Well shit, yet another book to add to me list. LOL