The Teen Debaters discussion

School and Kids > Homeschooling?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 100 (100 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

Do you think homeschooling kids is a good idea?

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

lol ok

message 3: by Anika (new)

Anika I have been homeschooled most of my life and love it. Like Marie said a lot of people think I have no life and no friends, but that is not true. I go to school one day a week with a bunch of other homeschooled kids and it is a lot of fun and on top of that I play soccer and basketball. I am also a girl scout and go to a youth group every Wednesday.

message 4: by Liv (new)

Liv (osf1998) I've been homeschooled all my life. I love it. It gives me the ability to follow up with my interests in immense detail.

This thing about homeschoolers not socializing? Bull. Absolute bull. In fact, I don't even want to go into describing why. Just because it's so ridiculous it makes me mad. What do you think our parents do, hole us up in a locked cell with just our schoolbooks all day?

I'll post more later. Right now I just got back from hanging out with my friends and playing softball all day.

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

I find absolutely nothing wrong with homeschooling. Though some parents do it wrong. I've heard of a family that homeschooled their children, then sent the eldest one to high school to see if he liked it.
He didn't understand a single thing, and completely flunked out.

But then, there are cases were home schoolers are better then public/private schooled children.

I kinda wish I was home schooled, because I'm pen pals with a home schooler, and she's done so much more than I have. She's written a novel.
But then I wouldn't have the friends I have today!

message 6: by Liv (new)

Liv (osf1998) "But then I wouldn't have the friends I have today!"

^^ Explain that one, please. You would have met other people too, possibly even those exact same people and been friends with them. I think I understand what you meant, but I'm gonna be honest and say it came off relatively pointed.

message 7: by luhvBOOKS (new)

luhvBOOKS I think its perfectly okay. I personally, wouldn't want to be homeschooled.

I get eight hours away from my parents. I'm keeping them :) Lol

message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

I'm not saying I wouldn't have good friends, just that I probably wouldn't be friends with the specific ones that I love so much right now. I'm sure I would haev just as many friends, as said above, I'm friends with two homeschooled kids (though they live in Texas. Which is very far away from where I live), and they both are very popular in both real-life and the Internetz.

I feel like that was confusing. :/

I'm trying to say that I wouldn't be the person I am today. Heck, I could have been someone who achieved more, like won a Nobel Prize, per se, or even someone who caused a third world war.

Oh, God, now I feel like I sound even more confusing. :(

I'm taking this out of proportion. It's hard to explain.

message 9: by Yuman (new)

Yuman (yumnaep) | 590 comments if you have responsible parents, a social life, and PE then it's great! (homeschooling)

message 10: by [deleted user] (new)

Yumn♣ (as in Yumna) {]يمنى[} wrote: "if you have responsible parents, a social life, and PE then it's great! (homeschooling)"

Yup! And a good education. :D

message 11: by Yuman (new)

Yuman (yumnaep) | 590 comments then it's in the bag. ;)

message 12: by Marianna (new)

Marianna (_________) | 252 comments I wouldn't be able to do my crazy 17-hour dance schedule if I wasn't homeschooled.

Although, I'm not doing it right now, anyways. XD

message 13: by Liv (new)

Liv (osf1998) Rainbow Dash/Silverstream wrote: "I'm not saying I wouldn't have good friends, just that I probably wouldn't be friends with the specific ones that I love so much right now. I'm sure I would haev just as many friends, as said above..."

HHahha nnooo it was me who took it out of proportion---nvm i see what you're saying xD

message 14: by Liv (new)

Liv (osf1998) All these people that are like, "people can't learn anything from homeschooling, they'll grow up stupid--schooling is the right way and it's always been." Are idiots. Because America's founding fathers were homeschooled, and they don't exactly seem like idiots to me. There wasn't anything much of a school back then anyway. And it seems like people turned out okay.

School's like a giant processing plant for children. Just gonna point that out.

message 15: by Marianna (new)

Marianna (_________) | 252 comments I SO AGREE WITH YOUR LAST TWO SENTENCES.

message 16: by Liv (new)

Liv (osf1998) Haha thanks:)

message 17: by [deleted user] (last edited Feb 26, 2012 12:54PM) (new)

I think homeschooling is a great idea as long as the parents know what they r doing. Also, like a bunch of you said, as long as he kids still have friends and stuff. Jus. Because ur homeschooled doesn't mean you can have a social life, although there r kids who don't.
Anyway my mom used to homeschool us but she quit a couple years ago cuz my third sister was entering kindergarten. My mom thought teaching four kids at the same time would be hard.
But my moms a teacher. So homeschooling was great idea for us. Currently she's t he founder and principal and one of the teachers of the school that I go to.
And not to brag or anything but I say that she taught us well and I was a pretty good student even while I was being homeschooled.
We used to be homeschooled cuz my mother did not want to put us in public school (she's a little protective XD) and we moved a LOT.
So I think homeschoolig is a good idea as long as the kids still have a social outlet and they are still getting a good education.

message 18: by Marianna (new)

Marianna (_________) | 252 comments "Even while I was being homeschooled"?

Seriously?

Not to brag, but I'm smarter than most (school) kids I know. It's just a fact.

message 19: by [deleted user] (new)

I know you were trying to defend yourself, Marianna, but that sounded really rude from my perspective. No one is ever smarter than another person, and personally I think grades are overrated.
This sounds very cheesy, but everyone is smart in their own way. I know I'm better at Language Arts than most of my friends, but a lot of them can whoop my butt in math. Please don't say you're smarter than most kids.

In the end, I think I might rather be homeschooled. But I'd want to live in the country area, so I could be outside during most of the day. Homeschooling just sounds super-peaceful, without other kids screaming in your ears.

message 20: by Marianna (new)

Marianna (_________) | 252 comments I can see how that could have been taken offensively.

And yes, I agree. I definitely know school kids who are better than me at math (I'm decidedly average there), but in LA I tend to be more advanced.

I am two grades ahead of where I'm supposed to be...but my curriculum is mostly history based...

message 21: by [deleted user] (new)

Glad you understood. No hard feelings. :)

It's hard to go ahead a grade in any sort of school system, really. But I've gotten into honors English and honors biology, so I'm happy.

message 22: by Marianna (new)

Marianna (_________) | 252 comments :D

message 23: by Liv (last edited Feb 27, 2012 05:40AM) (new)

Liv (osf1998) I think I'm two grades ahead in math (almost three) and I don't even know how many grades ahead I am in LA, I don't even really care anymore. I've written a novel. I don't know I've been reading since I was 4 so I just readd reaadd reeaad. (I guess you can tell from my Goodreads status...1 more book and I'm 800 books!!)

Sorry if that sounded really like pretentious. To balance things out, I've generally been considered by my mother awful @ geography (though I can located and name all of the European countries) and my history is just so-so.

message 24: by Yuman (new)

Yuman (yumnaep) | 590 comments WHAT NOVEL!!!!~!!!

message 25: by Yuman (new)

Yuman (yumnaep) | 590 comments I WANT TO READ!!!

message 26: by luhvBOOKS (new)

luhvBOOKS Rainbow Dash/TeaDrinkingCat wrote: "I know you were trying to defend yourself, Marianna, but that sounded really rude from my perspective. No one is ever smarter than another person, and personally I think grades are overrated.
This..."

It wasn't rude. She was offended.

message 27: by luhvBOOKS (new)

luhvBOOKS Personally, I like public schooling. I don't think I'd like homeschooling that much. Just...my parents teaching me curriculum...no way.

message 28: by [deleted user] (new)

I know you were trying to defend yourself, Marianna, but that sounded really rude from my perspective. No one is ever smarter than another person, and personally I think grades are overrated.

message 29: by Marianna (new)

Marianna (_________) | 252 comments Wait a second...

No, I'm definitely not smarter than all of my peers. No way.

But you can't argue that Albert Einstein was smarter than most people in the world? Or Steve Jobs? If everyone was as smart as him, everyone would be a billionaire. What about Thomas Edison? I know I'm not as smart as him, and I no one I know is. Or my grandpa, the smartest person I know, fluent in seven languages.

They are all wayyy (x 100,000,000) smarter than me.

message 30: by [deleted user] (new)

You aren't understanding what I was saying. I can probably find something that I was better at than Einstien if I did enough research. Rather it being making salads, or whatever.

And who says they ARE smarter than people? They just excelled in certain points of interest. Steve Jobs was good with the music and technology industry, but did he invent everything he made? From scratch? No, not at all. Hardly, actually. He didn't invent he mp3 player. He revolutionized it.

It's a cycle. Like books. They started with someone copying down the same thing thousands of times, then they printed it, and now it's an e-book.

You just aren't understanding. Everyone is smart at their own thing. There are thousands of people who are good at the same thing I am, for instance, but certain things I excel better than others. It's hard to explain, but I personally think that yes, there are people who are smarter than me, only in different subjects and areas.

It's just personally degrading to say something is, per se, "smarter than you". It actually makes people sound like they have depression. It's not healthy to think that.

You probably didn't understand what I just wrote (as I hardly did, XD) and I apologize. I'm not good at wording certain things. But does that mean I'm not smart at all? No.

message 31: by Yuman (new)

Yuman (yumnaep) | 590 comments I understand. And I think it's quite easy to understand what you've just written.
Everyone has strengths and weaknesses.

message 32: by [deleted user] (new)

Thank you, Yumna. ^_^

message 33: by luhvBOOKS (new)

luhvBOOKS Rainbow Dash/TeaDrinkingCat wrote: "You aren't understanding what I was saying. I can probably find something that I was better at than Einstien if I did enough research. Rather it being making salads, or whatever.

And who says they..."

Who cares if he revolutionized it? Could you?

Didn't think so. He's not your average man. He's brilliance.

message 34: by [deleted user] (new)

That was just rude. I'm 13, and he was a few years older than me when he started doing amazing things. You keep saying that you shouldn't abort a baby because they could be awesome; but now you're saying that I can't do what Steve Jobs did? Sorry to drag that into this, but seriously? What you just said was so offensive I can't even comprehend why someone would say that, especially with your own views.

message 35: by [deleted user] (new)

My point exactly. Even if one doesn't become something "great", or if they aren't "above average", they still leave an impact on the world, no matter how small it may be.

I want to be an animator when I grow up, maybe the next John Lassetter, and who says that won't happen? Who says I can't or won't become a great and famous artist? Please don't tell me I can't be the next Steve Jobs, but I suppose in a way that hate just fuels me to do better.

message 36: by Liv (new)

Liv (osf1998) Now now everyone. Let's simmer down. We can acknowledge that Einstein was a freaking crazyass genius. Now let's acknowledge that everyone else here can/will also be crazyass awesome people when they grow up, too. Everyone has the same chances to succeed as our idols did. And we can do it if we want.

YO GENERATION BORN IN THE 90S WE'RE FREAKING AWESOME. LET'S ALL BE THE NEXT BEST AT WHAT WE WANT. Of course we'll never forget those that inspired us--now that's use that drive to do the best we can. Always think you can be smart or talented--because you can.

-I'm done now-

message 37: by Liv (new)

Liv (osf1998) I wanna be the next Roy Chapman Andrews...*starry eyed gaze*

message 38: by Liv (new)

Liv (osf1998) But in, you know, female form...

message 39: by Liv (new)

Liv (osf1998) Also I want to be the next Albert Einstein, Charles Darwin, Jane Austen, and Leonardo Di Vinci. BUT BETTER AND ALL THOSE PEOPLE AS ONE.

message 40: by Marianna (new)

Marianna (_________) | 252 comments I want to be the next Audrey Hepburn. :D

message 41: by Liv (new)

Liv (osf1998) Marianna wrote: "I want to be the next Audrey Hepburn. :D"

I love herrrrr. Soooo pretty and no matter what people say she was a FANTASTIC singer and she was an amazing actress.

MARIE. YOU DO NOT SUCK AT SINGING -_-

message 42: by An (last edited Mar 15, 2012 05:28PM) (new)

An Ok, so I was homeschooled, and I think it should be an option, but I wish kids, or at least kids 6th grade+ could have some input on how they get their edu. Is homeschooling good? I really believe it depends on the kid's personality, the alternative option's quality, and the program used to home school.
My mom used Seton, http://www.setonhome.org/, and it was VERY challenging. I learned WAY more than I would have in public, or prob even private school and I got more one on one. However, as a social person who cried in kindergarten when mom said I couldn't ride a school bus and go to the classroom, I hated it for the most part.
I was involved in tons of activities, but it wasn't the same as being with peers every day, most of the day, and it was much harder to fit in with other kids in public. I envied the easier work load of my peers, as I've never been an A+ student, just an I need to pass, one. And I hated being seen by other teens a freak for having an edu I didn't want. It caused a lot of fights with parents, battling over were I'd go, especially my Freshman year. (I always had prom fantasies, and I couldn't date until I was 18, or moved out, while home schooled) I hated the constant parent supervision part. Oh, and no bad weather cancellations for homeschoolers.
On the plus side, I did learn a lot more than I would have otherwise, and I got to spend time with my dog through out the day. So it goes both ways, really.

message 43: by [deleted user] (new)

Yumn♣ (as in Yumna) {]يمنى[} wrote: "I WANT TO READ!!!"

Same here! Which novel, Libby?

message 44: by [deleted user] (new)

Marianna wrote: ""Even while I was being homeschooled"?

Seriously?

Not to brag, but I'm smarter than most (school) kids I know. It's just a fact."

What I meant was, homeschooling was not bad for my education. In fact, it may be the reason y I'm a good student.

message 45: by [deleted user] (new)

Rainbow Dash/TeaDrinkingCat wrote: "I know you were trying to defend yourself, Marianna, but that sounded really rude from my perspective. No one is ever smarter than another person, and personally I think grades are overrated.
This..."

I think some people are smarter than others. What's IQ all about then?
What about, like, people with Down syndrome?

message 46: by [deleted user] (new)

Yumn♣ (as in Yumna) {]يمنى[} wrote: "I understand. And I think it's quite easy to understand what you've just written.
Everyone has strengths and weaknesses."

Yes everybody has strengths and weaknesses. Totally agree with you on that. But--strengths or weaknesses don't mean intelligence or lack thereof. Some people's strength is their intelligence. Some people's strength is something else. Like, cooking. Or, idk, anything.

message 47: by [deleted user] (new)

Asmaa wrote: "Rainbow Dash/TeaDrinkingCat wrote: "I know you were trying to defend yourself, Marianna, but that sounded really rude from my perspective. No one is ever smarter than another person, and personally..."

Why are we even debating this? It was just a side thing that bothered me and I stood up for it. I have nothing else to say. Think what you want, but I think it's disgusting, rude, and selfish to judge yourself or others based on their intelligence. It's wrong. It's the exact same as racism and sexism.

All notes aside, it really depends of your learning style. Some people do better with groups of people and are more suited to the public school environment, and others are better off being homeschooled. Everyone learns in different ways, let's embrace it instead of whamming on it.

message 48: by Yuman (last edited Mar 17, 2012 07:11PM) (new)

Yuman (yumnaep) | 590 comments I'm pretty sure Marianna was talking academically...
because I read that post you were replying to, over, and it didn't seem egotistical and self-centered and debasing to me.

Anyway, she didnt say they were dumb, nor that she was judging them.

message 49: by [deleted user] (new)

Okay, I guess I can understand a bit. But I've always wondered how you really define intelligence. Like, do you have to be just all-around smart? Street smart? common-sense smart? It always confused me.

message 50: by Yuman (new)

Yuman (yumnaep) | 590 comments intelligence? I used to wonder that, too. But they identify your IQ through a series of tests right?

« previous 1