Glens Falls (NY) Online Book Discussion Group discussion

Topics Other Than Bks-Pics-TV. > What's your favorite snack?

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Joy H., Group Founder (new)

Joy H. (joyofglensfalls) | 16697 comments When it comes to favorite snacks, I go through stages. But lately I've been enjoying whipped cream cheese on sliced Italian bread. Yum! Of course, tea or coffee is always at the top of the list.

I'm looking for other ideas. Sometimes a bowl of cold cereal hits the spot. Any other suggestions or favorites?

message 2: by Jim (new)

Jim (jimmaclachlan) | 6318 comments chocolate

message 3: by Joy H., Group Founder (last edited Feb 24, 2012 11:21PM) (new)

Joy H. (joyofglensfalls) | 16697 comments Jim wrote: "chocolate"

LOL - What a good idea! I'm going to get some right now!

message 4: by Joy H., Group Founder (new)

Joy H. (joyofglensfalls) | 16697 comments What kind of chocolate do you like best? Hershey's milk chocolate isn't bad. Eddie likes the dark chocolate. Sometimes I buy Ghirardelli because it's good and it's packaged so nicely. Of course there's Godiva, but who can afford it!

Here's a website which lists all the different brands of chocolate:
http://worldchocolateguide.com/brands/
I didn't know there were so many!

Some people criticize the taste of American chocolate. I often wonder how good their favorite chocolate can be to make it so much better than what I know.

message 5: by Jim (new)

Jim (jimmaclachlan) | 6318 comments Many of the supposedly 'better' European chocolates, like Swiss or Austrian, are not as sweet, chocolatey or dense. Personally, I think the critics are full of it. We do chocolate as well or better than anyone.

I like milk chocolate the best, preferably with peanut butter. Reese's Peanut Butter cups are possibly my favorite, but Rocky Road or Extreme Moose Tracks ice cream with a few tablespoons of crunchy peanut butter & some chocolate sauce is heavenly. Of course, chocolate with coconut is good too like in Almond Joy & Mounds bars. Chocolate covered cherry cordials are another favorite, as is chocolate cheese cake.

I usually eat the dark chocolate when there's a mix because Marg doesn't like it at all & I do. Come to think of it, I can't think of any chocolate that I don't like, at the moment.
;-)

message 6: by Joy H., Group Founder (new)

Joy H. (joyofglensfalls) | 16697 comments I like my ice cream slightly melted. In fact, I usually put it in the microwave for a few seconds before I eat it. It gets nice and soft & creamy. Of course, chocolate sauce never hurt! LOL

I recently discovered a way to make my own "minted mocha". I add chocolate syrup to my cup of coffee and then add 4 or 5 drops (using an eye-dropper) of pepperment extract.

I discovered it when my niece had a Pampered Chef party and I felt I had to buy something even though I couldn't attend. So I ordered their Chocolate Peppermint Sauce ($10.00 + shipping). [ http://www.pamperedchef.com/ordering/... ]

After I rec'd it, I tried it in my coffee. Delicious! So I figured out a cheaper way to make it. The extract can be bitter if you put too much. So only use a few drops.

message 7: by Margaret (new)

Margaret | 75 comments I wonder whether it's because a lot of American off the shelf chocolate has (like pretty much everything else we buy) a big splash of high-fructose corn syrup which makes it taste too sweet for European palates. Not Ghirardelli or Godiva so much, but Hershey's does for sure. When I lived in England years ago I got very partial to Cadbury's Dairy Milk chocolate bars, and I do notice that since Cadbury was bought by Kraft they don't taste quite the same.

message 8: by Joy H., Group Founder (last edited Feb 25, 2012 09:46AM) (new)

Joy H. (joyofglensfalls) | 16697 comments Margaret, yes, I've heard that about Cadbury chocolates changing after being bought by Kraft.

I didn't know about the corn syrup.

Up to now, my tastes haven't been refined enough to detect certain food differences. As I've gotten older, I've learned to refine my tastes. But you know what they say: "Why ruin your palate for cheap wine?". Ha!

Along those same lines, I asked my son, who is a musician and sound engineer, how a person can tell which musician is playing a certain classical piece, i.e., how can you detect differences when they're playing the same piece? His answer was typical of his natural insight: "Mom, you may not know what the differences are, but you would want to hear the better version again."

The lesser version would be forgettable. I guess the same is true with foods.

message 9: by Jim (new)

Jim (jimmaclachlan) | 6318 comments Joy, if you like mint, try some Creme de Menthe on your ice cream. That's all a Grasshopper is, after all.

message 10: by Joy H., Group Founder (last edited Feb 25, 2012 01:48PM) (new)

Joy H. (joyofglensfalls) | 16697 comments Jim wrote: "Joy, if you like mint, try some Creme de Menthe on your ice cream. That's all a Grasshopper is, after all."

Thanks, Jim. That's a great idea! We don't have any Creme de Menthe in the house right now but you gave me the idea to put some Chambord (black raspberry liqueur) on my ice cream just now. The liqueur was an Xmas gift from my son and I've been waiting for a chance to sample it. Yum, this is the BEST way! LOL

PS-That sure spices the ice cream up!