Challenge: 50 Books discussion

Friday Questions > question #93: So Far So Good

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Faye (new)

Faye | 673 comments Mod
What's the best book you've read as part of this year's challenge so far? Tell us a little about it, please. No spoilers though. :)

message 2: by Donna (new)

Donna | 1350 comments I've already got three 5 star books on my list this year, but I'm going with Joanna Bourne's "The Black Hawk". Everything to love about historical romantic fiction. Great atmosphere, attention to period details, conflicts that are realistic and complex, and a lovely love story. First book of the year and still the best so far.

message 3: by Linda (new)

Linda (lssbooks) My favorite read for this year's challenge is "To Be Sung Underwater" by Tom McNeal. It's well written, has a tight plot, well-developed characters, and I especially enjoyed the 1970's time period.

message 4: by Susan (last edited Feb 25, 2012 06:10AM) (new)

Susan (chlokara) | 846 comments So far my favorite book is The Dovekeepers by Alice Hoffman. I have read a lot of Hoffman's novels, and I think I am correct in saying that this is her first historical novel. Set in Madasa in 70 AD (CE), as the Jews try to defend their country from the Romans, it deals with the lives of four women, who each narrate part of the story. I particularly like seeing historical moments from the aspect of women, since their part in history is usually silent. I listened to it on an audiobook and the narration was very good.

librarian4Him02 | 267 comments I've liked all the books I've read so far this year, but I'd have to pick The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie by Alan Bradley as my current favorite.

This is the first book in the Flavia De Luce mystery series. Flavia is 11, passionate about chemistry, and very smart. She puts her talents to good use trying to solve murders that seem to keep happening around around her hometown, the British village of Bishop's Lacey.

message 6: by Patricia (new)

Patricia (patriciawf) The best book I have read so far this year is The Invisible Wall: A Love Story That Broke Barriers. This was a book club selection and I knew I was not going to like it the minute I saw the title. However, the library had a copy available, so I took it home. I was hooked by page 5!! What a terrific story!

message 7: by Tiffany, Administrator (new)

Tiffany | 1850 comments Mod
Faye wrote: "What's the best book you've read as part of this year's challenge so far? Tell us a little about it, please. No spoilers though. :)"

So far?? It's not even the end of the second month! :) The year just got started! (Maybe this is a sign that I need to pick up the pace, though.)

I was just thinking the other day that I haven't read any 5-star books yet this year, but when I checked my list to respond to your question, I see that I have: Fahrenheit 451. The classic tale of censorship and book-burning -- pretty much anyone who's never read the book already knows what it's about, just from hearing other references so often.

But I also really liked This Is a Call: The Life and Times of Dave Grohl (bio of former Nirvana drummer / Foo Fighters lead), The New York Trilogy (good short stories), and The Beekeeper's Apprentice (the story of Sherlock Holmes' right-hand girl).

message 8: by Emma (new)

Emma | 295 comments Librarianforhim wrote: "I've liked all the books I've read so far this year, but I'd have to pick The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie by Alan Bradley as my current favorite.

This is the first book in the Flavia De Lu..."

I was just about to say that this was also my favorite book of the year so far. I am currently reading the second book and just love Flavia. I know there have been mixed reviews about her character but I find her charming, and I just love the town, the cast of characters, and her passion for Chemistry. While I don't share that passion, I can appreciate it. It's my only 5 star book of the year, but I have a feeling The Weed That Strings the Hangman's Bag may be another 5 star as well. We shall see!

message 9: by [deleted user] (new)

The best book I've read so far is Scott Pilgrim #6.

I loved the whole series, but the last book tied everything together so nicely and naturally. It didn't feel like "Oh we're ending the series so I have to make sure all loose ends are taken care of." It reinforced the theme of the whole series with clarity, and felt like a true ending.

message 10: by Cloudedleopard (new)

Cloudedleopard | 114 comments It's hard to pick only one...

OK, best novel/romance: "The Time Traveller's Wife". Story about a couple through the ages, she is a normal person, he is a time traveller. I must admit that I somehow fell in love with this book. It's truly a romantic story but without all the cheesiness you can so often find in these kinds of novels.

The other one must be "Alive". It's the story about the Uruguayan plane crash in the Andes in the 1970s. It's impressive, confusing and the naked, sad truth.

message 11: by Katelynn (new)

Katelynn My favourite book so far this year has definitely been John Green's The Fault in Our Stars. It's a heartfelt and real story about two teens with cancer who are just trying to navigate through the world with the huge weight of their sickness on their shoulders. It was wonderful.

message 12: by Kathy (new)

Kathy Hale (kahale) | 233 comments Susan wrote: "So far my favorite book is The Dovekeepers by Alice Hoffman. I have read a lot of Hoffman's novels, and I think I am correct in saying that this is her first historical novel. Set..."

Linda wrote: "My favorite read for this year's challenge is "To Be Sung Underwater" by Tom McNeal. It's well written, has a tight plot, well-developed characters, and I especially enjoyed the 1970's time period."

I really enjoyed this book. I learned a lot about Jewish culture at that time and felt the characters were great.