ROBUST discussion

Reviews > Recent Movies

Comments Showing 1-50 of 96 (96 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by K.A. (new)

K.A. Jordan (kajordan) | 3042 comments We go to the movies every Sunday. I've not posted any reviews because there would be so many.

So I decided to put this thread up for the 'movie of the week' in case someone else has seen it too.

The Gray - Neeson plays a suicidal wolf hunter whose plane crashes in the middle of the Artic. The survivors quickly become prey to a pack of wolves.

Save your money.

Andre wrote a better story with Survivor.

Not only that, but the CGI wolves were the WORST I've ever seen. I don't understand why they didn't spring for at least 1 real wolf for the close ups.

They even used fake fur on the mechanical wolf.

message 2: by K.A. (new)

K.A. Jordan (kajordan) | 3042 comments Warhorse

OMG! Bring tissues! Lot's of tissues, to this Equine Buddy Movie. You will see WWI though the eyes of a horse, and it was just as awful for the horses as for the humans.

I don't recall how it ended - I was too busy blowing my nose.

message 3: by K.A. (new)

K.A. Jordan (kajordan) | 3042 comments One for the Money

Saw this on Girl's Night Out - the same night I got a worm in my green beans. The movie made up for the awful surprise I got with my dinner.

I could nit-pick, but why spoil the fun?

This movie was GREAT fun. I hope they shoot all 18 or 19 books. I will go see them all!

message 4: by K.A. (last edited Feb 26, 2012 06:12AM) (new)

K.A. Jordan (kajordan) | 3042 comments Ghost Rider II - 'Spirit of Vengence'

Nicholas Cage over-acts as the insane motorcycle rider who becomes an even more insane Motorcycle Demon.

Go see 'The Gray' and send the kiddies to watch this in 3-D. Seriously.

message 5: by K.A. (new)

K.A. Jordan (kajordan) | 3042 comments J. Edgar

Now this was a heck of a movie.

It portrays the strange man who was the most powerful and terrifying boogyman in the USA right up until the day of his death. When Hoover was in power the FBI were the 'G-Men' who spied on everyone.

This movie shows you why the man was so interested in everyone else's love life. He was truly a mad-genius.

This is a Clint Eastwood movie - it proves that there is MUCH more going on in Eastwood's mind than ever came out of his mouth in a movie.

message 6: by Patricia (new)

Patricia (patriciasierra) | 2388 comments Worms are a good source of protein. Yum.

I won a writing contest once and prize was a book autographed by J. Edgar. The movie interests me.

I don't go to movies, but I watch Netflix and Amazon movies. This past week I got hooked on Downton Abbey; went through both seasons. Absolutely love it and can't wait for next season.

message 7: by Claudine (new)

Claudine | 1110 comments Mod
I laughed all the way through Ghost Rider. Nicolas Cage was never a brilliant actor but these days he sucks.

I took the kids to see Star Wars Phantom Menace in 3D. It was my son's birthday on the 14th and he wanted to take a few friends with to watch it. We're huge Star Wars fans.

While they all enjoyed themselves, and I found myself loving the movie, it was a total waste as far as a 3D film goes. Very little was changed when there was so much scope for a wonderful 3D experience. No one took advantage of the scenes enough I think.

I have no idea what the fascination is with re-releasing movies in 3D. There was an advert for James Cameron's Titanic, available in 3D from the middle of April. Definately going to give that one a miss!

message 8: by Brian (last edited Feb 25, 2012 01:36AM) (new)

Brian Talgo | 111 comments Claudine wrote: "I laughed all the way through Ghost Rider. Nicolas Cage was never a brilliant actor but these days he sucks.

I took the kids to see Star Wars Phantom Menace in 3D. It was my son's birthday on ..."

I took my son to The Phantom Menace in 3D. While it was fun to see the film back on the big screen, it was a total waste as 3D. 3D has to be filmed as 3D. To go in afterwards and play around with a handful of scenes is an insult to the integrity of the movie public.

Nicolas Cage as an actor: has sucked, sucks, will suck in the future. Try Windtalkers or Leaving Las Vegas (he got prizes for this one!) if you want to experience new lows in acting. He has a register of 1; himself mumbling with wet blue dogged eyes.

message 9: by Claudine (new)

Windtalkers was a brilliant movie. I just kept telling myself to ignore the actor behind his character. Leaving Las Vegas I did not enjoy at all. Not my kind of film.

message 10: by Brian (new)

Brian Talgo | 111 comments Claudine wrote: "Windtalkers was a brilliant movie. I just kept telling myself to ignore the actor behind his character. Leaving Las Vegas I did not enjoy at all. Not my kind of film."

Cage ruined Windtalkers for me. His flat, monotone voice was awful. The premise was otherwise fascinating.

message 11: by Claudine (new)

Yes it definately was a great story. And yes he has this unique ability to sound like a stuck record. Irritatingly flat.

I watched Inception last night finally. Previously I'd watched bits and pieces. For a Leo Di Caprio movie it was quite ok. I'm not a huge fan. His best movie for me was What's Eating Gilbert Grape? But then it was directed by Lasse Hallstrom, one of my favourite directors, and also co-starred Juliet Lewis and Johnny Depp, two of my favourite actirs.

message 12: by Andre Jute (last edited Feb 25, 2012 07:33AM) (new)

Andre Jute (andrejute) | 4851 comments Mod
Johnny Depp acts the pretty boys off the stage. The problem with Nicholas Cage is that he is neither a pretty boy nor an actor. One can only assume that, as they gave the Nobel Prize to Barack Obama for being black, they gave all those prizes to Nicholas Cage for being the nephew of Francis Ford Coppola. Must be an awful handicap to live in the shadow of so talented an uncle.

message 13: by Brian (new)

Brian Talgo | 111 comments Andre Jute wrote: "Johnny Depp acts the pretty boys off the stage. The problem with Nicholas Cage is that he is neither a pretty boy nor an actor. One can only assume that, as they gave the Nobel Prize to Barack Obam..."

Lol – The Norwegian Nobel committee, chaired by prime idiot Thorbjørn Jagland, didn’t give Obama the NPP because he was Black. At least they would have got that right. They gave it to him because they thought he was a liberal. Epic fail.

message 14: by Claudine (new)

The Peace Prize is overrated.

Andre, Depp is one of the greatest, it not the greatest, actor of his generation. He's like a chameleon.

BTW, did you ever support Province?

message 15: by Brian (new)

Brian Talgo | 111 comments Claudine wrote: "The Peace Prize is overrated.

Andre, Depp is one of the greatest, it not the greatest, actor of his generation. He's like a chameleon.

BTW, did you ever support Province?"

Totally overrated. The Swedes are actually thinking of taking it back. But then again, they do consider the Norwegians to be their gauche country cousins …

message 16: by Patricia (new)

Patricia (patriciasierra) | 2388 comments I've never quite understood how/when Obama became black. Black father + white mother = bi-racial. An interviewer on MTV of all places challenged him for calling himself black, denying his white mother in a sense as well as the white, blood-relative grandparents who brought him up. He told that interviewer he does see himself as bi-racial, but in the campaign he let the media and general public continue with the fiction that he's black. I guess it just made a better story, historically.

message 17: by Claudine (new)

I've never understood the need for racial lables but that would probably be because I am see through white. I've never had to explain my heritage to anyone. Politically it makes sense that he'd push back his white side in favour of his black side.

On that note, I've never agreed with black Americans calling themselves African American. I get the point that term makes but to me it makes more waves than it corrects perceptions. After 200 years of not living in Africa, you are simply an American with black skin. It would sound pretty silly for me to claim German heritage because my family line through my maternal grandfather came here in the 1700s. I am no more German than any American black is African.

message 18: by Patricia (new)

Patricia (patriciasierra) | 2388 comments When my granddaughter -- who is white, black, Cuban (she calls herself a Mixican which I find kinda funny) -- wanted to join the Hispanic Club at school, she was told that she had to declare herself Cuban only, not the other two labels she put on her application. She refused and was not let into the club.

message 19: by J.A. (last edited Feb 25, 2012 10:36AM) (new)

J.A. Beard (jabeard) I know Americans who are descended from Germans who came over in the 1850s who still self-identify as "German-American". :)

What percentage does somebody need to be "black"? Most American blacks are considerably interbred with different ethnic groups.

America has a history of "one drop" or minimum percentage minority = minority racial stuff that, until not all that many decades ago, was even written into the laws. Whether people think it's right or wrong, we can't deny that it's still strongly part of our culture.

Heck, when I was in school biracial students were encouraged to mark the "black" bubble. In trying to fill out some recent forms for my children, some allowed for multi-ethnic and many said, "Pick One". I've known many other biracial students who were "corrected" for not "picking the correct race".

I can't speak to Obama's personal situation or mindset, but as a biracial person, I'll note that white racism is calibrated as such that it doesn't seem like "just as much white as black" makes any difference.

I grew up with people calling me black-targeted racial slurs and otherwise harassing me on the basis of me being "black".

I'm also considerably lighter than Obama. I'm much younger than the president.

A lot of non-policy hatred directed toward President Obama has often been on the basis of him being "black". I haven't read his book. I don't know enough about him growing up and his experiences to know his formative racial experiences. So it may be all pure expedience on his part.

The one-drop laws are repealed, but the social momentum is there, and even absent our laws, that's just how people think. You "become" your minority portion.

I do tend to self-identify as black. My mother has never been particularly offended by it. To me, it's more a marker of how, yes, society has assigned me a racial label. It's also a sort of an acknowledgement, on my part, of the nature of race relations, and how people, on average, in my culture and, to a lesser extent some countries I've traveled to, have dealt with me.

Things are getting better, but we still have a ways to go.

In my case, it's not a fiction that I'm black. It's how I've been treated by my society at large. I grew up in a religious tradition that taught that racism was abhorrent to God. Race was barely on my radar as young child until I started dealing with racism.

Maybe that's not true in some absolute genetic sense, but it's true enough sociologically.

How my children may or may not identify will be interesting. My wife is snowy white. My son has light hair, light skin, and light eyes. My daughter will probably never been parsed as "white", but she's more of "dubious ethnicity" sort than any particular easily identifiable ethnic group.

I've noticed, anecdotally though, that black people tend to, on average, derive that she's part-black/part-white, but white people, less often, are unsure.

message 20: by Claudine (new)

I grew up in a household of racists. My parents and grandparents came from good God-fearing white stock who believed truly that the bible stated that black people were animals, less than whites. Until I was able to think for myself in terms of politics I grew up thinking the same things. Racism is taught from a young age. Even though I grew up in a more liberal part of the country, I was very much luckier than some of my counterparts. By the time the late 80s roled by, I think the generation of my parents were just too tired to fight the "good fight" to keep the country pure and white. I tended to gravitate to people not because of their skin colour but because they appealed to me. My best friend growing up had a touch of colour. You could see it in her hair, which she always said looked like a bad perm on a white person with distinct black features. She was vilified by the other kids. With the race laws here at the time, she was classified white though while some of her family was classified black. It led to the total disintegration of their family structure over the years which is what happened to many families those years, where certain racial characteristics meant you were lumped into 4 distinct racial groups based on how curly your hair was or how dark your skin was.

I wish I could find that article I read last week, the one that spoke of how the term African American came to be and why many blacks in the US today are trying not to use it. It was interesting.

In terms of my own family, I look like a typical red haired Irish lass with brown eyes. My sister looks more like a Lebanese/Middle Eastern type with the olive skin and dark hair and eyes. She looks like my dad's side of the family while I take after my mom's. My dad's mom was adopted and raised by a Portugeuse man and his black wife (my maternal grandmother apparently had a massive screaming fit when my dad proposed to my mom because of the association of colour). As we have no record of who my paternal grandmother's family is or where she came from, it made life a bit worse for my parents during the 60s when they got married. My mom comes from conservative Dutch people with that almost 300 year German claim.

I tick Other on most government forms. I am a human being, a homosapien. That's good enough for me and should be a good enough answer to the beaurocrats.

At the end of the day we are all African, if the evolution of man is to be believed that Nat Geo keeps talking about.

message 21: by Andre Jute (last edited Feb 25, 2012 02:19PM) (new)

SWD. More than his life is worth for an Oudtshoorn boy to support the Western Cape team.

message 22: by Andre Jute (new)

IN TIME with Justin Timberlake and Amanda Seyfried gets three out of five stars in the universality of movies for competent direction and a clever script. But, considering the current confluence of crap at the video shop, I'd better give it four as, relatively speaking, a superior movie. Enjoyed it.

THE 6TH DAY last night, with Arnold Schwarzenegger, following on COBRA with Sylvester Stallone the night before, persuades me once again that, for a muscleman, Arnie had 10^719 times the luck that Stallone, said to be not as stupid as he looks, had -- even when he was writing his own scripts. The best line of dialogue in all of COBRA is where the police captain tells Stallone that a replacement for his wilfully destroyed car isn't in the budget. That bad. No stars. The Arnie Special gets four stars for being enjoyable hokum, and for having the sense to put in Robert Duvall and Tony Goldwyn as counterweights, and for having a solidly worked script.

message 23: by Patricia (new)

Patricia (patriciasierra) | 2388 comments J.A., I didn't know the "one-drop" notion had actually been written into law. I thought it was just born of ignorance and recited by people who didn't know much. Turns out I'm the one who didn't know much.

My granddaughter (whose coloring is coffee with lots of cream) identifies as a mix of black and Hispanic (thus, Mixican) because her circle of friends are black and Mexican (she'd love to trade her Cuban heritage for Mexican). She doesn't seem to realize that some of her comments are racist (against whites) and that they are possibly offensive to me. I don't think she sees me as any particular color. I'm just family. When she makes an anti-white comment and I remind her that I'm white, she acts like I don't count. In her eyes, I'm white in name only, or so it seems.

My grandson looks white and identifies as such. Recently he told a group of young people he's half black. The racist comments and behavior that had not been present before his announcement but which came afterward were brutal. I don't think he'll be making such announcements again anytime soon. The verbal attacks were eye-opening (for him). He'd known about racism, of course, but had never felt it first-hand before.

My daughter, who is white/Cuban and has an elusive ethnic look about her (people say they know she's "something" but they can't decide what), identifies as black -- which is something I've never been able to figure out. She doesn't have even that "one-drop" but that's how she sees herself. She's comfortable only in black or mixed neighborhoods, and will date only black or bi-racial men.

Me? I'm Irish, French, and English. My husband came from Cuba, with heritage that goes back to Spain. I'm pale, but he's even paler. In a family photo, none of us would look related to the others.

message 24: by Patricia (new)

Patricia (patriciasierra) | 2388 comments Andre Jute wrote: "SWD. More than his life is worth for an Oudtshoorn boy to support the Western Cape team."

You'll have to translate that post for me.

message 25: by Andre Jute (new)

Code for belonging to the rugby tribes. Like American football, but more violent, and played without protective gear.

message 26: by J.A. (last edited Feb 26, 2012 09:33AM) (new)

J.A. Beard (jabeard) Although I didn't date a huge number of women in my time before I got married I did date a decent number, and I never did particularly care about their race. I never had any strong vision of who'd I end up with. I initially met my wife online, so I didn't even know what she looked like for a decent amount of time once we started interacting.

One-drop actually got worse post-Reconstruction. I mean some of the standards (legal at least) in say 1850 were more generous (or whatever you want to call it) then you'd might see in say 1920. Go figure.

I had a friend who grew up in a very white area in Eastern Washington state. He was 100% Han Chinese (his parents immigrated shortly before he was born). He actually felt more comfortable around rural whites than Chinese and said things like, "I'm a red-neck in a Chinese man's body."

Oddly enough, though, one of the reasons we actually bonded in college was because of my affinity for many Chinese cultural things (I originally, back in the 90s, was a linguistics major with a focus on East Asian linguistics).

message 27: by J.A. (last edited Feb 25, 2012 03:43PM) (new)

J.A. Beard (jabeard) THE 6TH DAY last night, with Arnold Schwarzenegger, following on COBRA with Sylvester Stallone the night before, persuades me once again that, for a muscleman, Arnie had 10^719 times the luck that Stallone, said to be not as stupid as he looks, had -- even when he was writing his own scripts. The best line of dialogue in all of COBRA is where the police captain tells Stallone that a replacement for his wilfully destroyed car isn't in the budget. That bad. No stars. The Arnie Special gets four stars for being enjoyable hokum, and for having the sense to put in Robert Duvall and Tony Goldwyn as counterweights, and for having a solidly worked script.

Now go and watch END OF DAYS, which besides being a crappy movie, totally throws out internal consistency near the end making you ask, "What was the point of all this chasing again?"

message 28: by Patricia (new)

Patricia (patriciasierra) | 2388 comments I tried watching The Help last night. Couldn't stand it. Fast-forwarded several times before giving up entirely.

message 29: by Andre Jute (new)

Yeah, I remember END of DAYS was a tossup for worst Millennium Movie with the one starring Gabriel Byrne...

message 30: by J.A. (new)

J.A. Beard (jabeard) My big take away from END OF DAYS was that 97.5% of New Yorkers are actually secret Satanists. Well, that and shooting Satan with a grenade launcher isn't effective.

message 31: by J.A. (new)

J.A. Beard (jabeard) I just found this review quote which I love:

"Idiotic beyond the point of redemption, this sinfully stupid farrago manages to insult audiences and critics, Christians and Satanists alike, reducing 2000 years of fertile mythology to the level of an incoherent pop video."

message 32: by K.A. (new)

K.A. Jordan (kajordan) | 3042 comments Gee - all that in 1 movie...

message 33: by Claudine (new)

Cheesy is as cheesy does. Now go watch The Expendables. Sly, Arnie with a small cameo, Dolph Lundgren, Micky Rourke, Jason Stratham, Jet Lee. Its truly epic in its stupendousness.

message 34: by Claudine (new)

I'm a diehard Province fan. SWD doesn't exist anymore as a district. They are part of something else now.

Andre Jute wrote: "Code for belonging to the rugby tribes. Like American football, but more violent, and played without protective gear."

To add to what Andre said, rugby is a religion here. Supporters aren't blatant hooligans like the English soccer crowds can be but we can be just as violent.

message 35: by Claudine (new)

Patricia how sad for your grandson. How old is he?

message 36: by Claudine (new)

Talking rugby, a passably good story to watch would be Invictus with matt Damon and Morgan Freeman. It's about the rugby world cup in 1995, where we were finally allowed to participate in international sports again after years of sanctions. Matt Damon could never pass for a rubgy player but he did a passable South African accent. Morgan Freeman was brilliant as Nelson Mandela.

message 37: by K.A. (new)

K.A. Jordan (kajordan) | 3042 comments Woman in Black - Daniel Radcliff

Victorian Era, creepy old house is surrounded by salt marsh, on an island during high tide. Vengeful ghost who kills children. Harry Potter star is a downtrodden lawyer who keeps going back to the house to 'finish paperwork' before his son arrives.

The atmosphere was over the top creepy.

message 38: by Patricia (new)

Patricia (patriciasierra) | 2388 comments Claudine, he's 15.

message 39: by Claudine (new)

That is such an awkward age. Not quite man definately not child. Tell him from me any racial slurs thrown his way are out of ignorance and fear.

message 40: by Andre Jute (new)

Claudine wrote: "I'm a diehard Province fan. SWD doesn't exist anymore as a district. They are part of something else now."

I wish you hadn't told me, Claudine.

message 41: by Claudine (new)

Andre Jute wrote: "Claudine wrote: "I'm a diehard Province fan. SWD doesn't exist anymore as a district. They are part of something else now."

I wish you hadn't told me, Claudine."

There is a team, SWD Eagles. They operate out of George. The borders between WP and SWD was changed a good few years ago amidst widespread dissatisfaction. They are unfortunately not very good. It was thought that WP just wanted the better players.

message 42: by Sharon (last edited Feb 27, 2012 12:11PM) (new)

Sharon Tillotson (storytellerauthor) | 1802 comments Hugo.

I'm a sucker for those period pieces with orphans who make good. It was very visually appealing, set in a Paris railway station in the 1930's. And Hugo was tres cool.

I didn't really think the 3D added to anything, though.

message 43: by Patricia (new)

Patricia (patriciasierra) | 2388 comments Seeing snippets on the awards show last night made me want to see Hugo.

message 44: by Andre Jute (new)

Watched Contagion last night, an ensemble movie with lots of big names. A good movie about how an epidemic builds up and is finally brought under control.

message 45: by J.A. (new)

J.A. Beard (jabeard) One of the members of my PhD committee heartily recommended the film to me, but I've yet to get around to seeing it.

message 46: by Patricia (new)

Patricia (patriciasierra) | 2388 comments You can see it for $3.99 via Amazon streaming.

On my "maybe" agenda for tonight: Town.

message 47: by Andre Jute (new)

I looked into the CDC for a novel once, which is the limit of what I know, and this movie seemed to me most realistic. Good politics to watch any movie, read any book any supervisor is keen on. Also useful to know who'll be on your viva, because if you're prepared with one of their hobby horses, you control the conversation.

message 48: by Claudine (new)

Andre is that the one with Matt Damon?

message 49: by Matt (new)

Matt Posner (mattposner) | 276 comments I was not impressed by Hugo even though I am a fan of Melies. It was too slick a product for me. Everything in it felt as if it had been worked over by a focus group. And Sacha Baron Cohen was appallingly bad. The only saving point in that movie was Chloe Grace Moretz who plays Hugo's little girlfriend. They put her in a beret and she played a little French girl who likes to read. I like children who like to read -- it's an English teacher thing.

STar Wars 3D was indeed a waste from the 3D point of view. They did add some elements to the podrace sequence which we enjoyed seeing. Jake Lloyd's acting is still the shits.

We saw The Vow which confirms what an awesome actress Rachel MacAdams has become, consistently giving depth to relatively flat lines. Channing Tatum played his part with relatively little depth. It was hard to see Jessica Lange, who should come up on google image searches for "the years have not been kind."

Contagion was quite good.

The Expendables is a dumb movie but it is nice to see all those action stars together because they have a lot of presence even in a dumb movie. When Stallone has a really good part (viz. Copland) he does shine. This wasn't the part, but it was acceptable. Mickey Rourke was awesome in that film as well, and it was nice to see Steve Austin.

Could write more but won't. Best wishes everyone.

message 50: by Andre Jute (new)

Claudine wrote: "Andre is that the one with Matt Damon?"

Yes, doing a super job of being Mr Decent Everyman. The entire movie, considering the material, is kept pretty low-key. But that is how professionals would behave while they try to contain a catastrophe.

« previous 1