The Sword and Laser discussion

Scott Lynch
This topic is about Scott Lynch
2012 Reads > TLOLL: Length Between Novels

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Seth (new)

Seth (sethhwilson) | 3 comments In the latest podcast, Tom and Veronica speculate that Scott Lynch may have fallen victim to George R. R. Martin syndrome in the length between publications. While the result may be the same as in GRRM's case, the cause was actually quite different. A couple years ago, Lynch posted in his LiveJournal (can't find the exact entry at the moment, sorry) that he'd been battling serious depression and other mental bedevilments. He's been very frank and honest about it, and judging from recent buzz he seems to be coming out of the woods.

Anyway, I just wanted to suggest that we all take it easy on the guy. :)

message 2: by Stan (new)

Stan Slaughter | 359 comments No - he's our b%tch

message 3: by Kate (new)

Kate O'Hanlon (kateohanlon) | 778 comments I think Lynch is a good example of why it's always deeply uncool to bitch about writers not getting books out fast enough to suit readers.
You just never know what's going on in a parson's life and it's probably more serious that your desire to read a new book.

Phil On The Hill (philonthehillexon) | 244 comments I am happy to wait for the book Scott wants to write, rather than one he is forced to write.

message 5: by Warren (last edited Feb 28, 2012 05:28AM) (new)

Warren | 1556 comments It's hard to be sympathetic to readers who already have a hundred book backlog. Since the author has other matters to attend to
I agree with Phil. I'd rather wait

message 6: by Joseph (new)

Joseph I'm glad you posted this Seth, I had the same reaction to Tom and Veronica on the podcast, and thought about posting this myself.

So thank you for doing it for me. :D SL is a great guy and I'm more than happy to wait, a wonderful man's happiness and health is more important than a book.

I think we'd all rather wait to get all 7 and then more from Lynch, than for him to rush and quit due to health.

message 7: by Jim (new)

Jim (kskryptonian) | 202 comments I see what you did there, Stan.

message 8: by Joseph (new)

Joseph | 2294 comments In the meantime, if you need a Scott Lynch fix, he has a free (and still in-progress) work on his website: Queen of the Iron Sands. It's kind of a tribute to the planetary romances of Edgar Rice Burroughs and Leigh Brackett with a little barnstorming and cropdusting thrown in. I really enjoyed what there was of it when I read it last year; I think he's since then added a chapter or two.

He also has a couple of short stories that I'm aware of -- one in Swords & Dark Magic: The New Sword and Sorcery (possibly the best in the collection) and one in Tales of the Far West (which I haven't read but which sounds cool).