Historical Fictionistas discussion

Recommendations? > Imperial Russia/Russian Revolution

Comments Showing 1-33 of 33 (33 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Petra (new)

Petra | 2 comments I've been on a bit of a Russian history kick lately and I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for some good fiction. I'm up for any and all time periods although I guess I lean toward the Russian Revolution/end of Imperial Russia. Thoughts?

message 2: by Diane S ☔ (new)

Diane S ☔ I really liked The Kitchen Boy A Novel of the Last Tsar by Robert Alexander .

Allison (The Allure of Books) (inconceivably) | 304 comments The only book I've read set in Russia that immediately comes to mind is during WWII: The Bronze Horseman

message 4: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca Huston (telynor) | 35 comments You might like R.N. Morris's Porfiry Petrovich series if you enjoy historical thrillers: The Gentle Axe, A Vengeful Longing, A Razor Wrapped in Silk and The Cleansing Flames. I've read the first two, and about to start the third, and found them to be very good so far.

message 6: by Kate (new)

Kate Quinn | 591 comments Emily by Cynthia Harrod-Eagles is excellent - an English girl who marries a Russian nobleman, then finds herself trying to get out of Russia back to England once the Revolution hits.

message 7: by Katie Sue (last edited Feb 24, 2012 05:28AM) (new)

Katie Sue (thehistorynerd) | 1 comments I really enjoyed The Lost Crown: A Novel of Romanov Russia. It is about the last Grand Duchesses, told in their four alternating points of view. I was really depressing though, just because how it ended and that it was a true story.

message 8: by Chrissie (new)

Chrissie Olga's Story: Three Continents, Two World Wars and Revolution--One Woman's Epic Journey Through the Twentieth Century and The House by the Dvina: A Russian Childhood. I know Dem listed the last one, but it is so good I had to mention it again. We both love this book - don't we Dem?!

The above two are actually biographies, but they read as novels. I cannot imagine anyone who would not love these two books.

message 9: by Donna (new)

Donna | 49 comments I very much enjoyed The Kitchen Boy: A Novel of the Last Tsar and the R.N.Morris's mysteries.

message 10: by Kate (new)

Kate Quinn | 591 comments Eye of the Red Tsar: A Novel of Suspense is another good 'un - technically this takes place in the early days of the Soviet Union, but it flashes back extensively to the end of the Russian Empire. Tsar Nicholas's private investigator Pekkala is given a ticket out of the Siberian gulags from Stalin, if he will find the murderers who executed the Tsar and his family. Very good.

message 11: by Dem (new)

Dem | 307 comments Chrissie wrote: "Olga's Story: Three Continents, Two World Wars and Revolution--One Woman's Epic Journey Through the Twentieth Century and The House by the Dvina: A Russian Childhood. ..."

Its a great book and will have to look up Olga's stroy Chrissie as think I would love that too!

message 12: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca Huston (telynor) | 35 comments Here's some more Russian revolution fiction:
A Daughter of the Nobility by Natasha Borovsky, which didn't have much of the silliness that most books set in this period has. There's also The Snow Mountain by Catherine Gavin.

message 13: by Chrissie (new)

Chrissie Dem wrote: "Chrissie wrote: "Olga's Story: Three Continents, Two World Wars and Revolution--One Woman's Epic Journey Through the Twentieth Century and [book:The House by the Dvina: A Russian Chi..."

Dem, I am sure you will love it. I was so lucky to just find this book sitting on a shelf at Waterstones before I was part of GR.

message 14: by Nancy from NJ (new)

Katz Nancy from NJ (nancyk18) Allison (The Allure of Books) wrote: "The only book I've read set in Russia that immediately comes to mind is during WWII: The Bronze Horseman"

The Bronze Horseman is the first book of a trilogy. I thought I would love the first book but for some reason, didn't.

One of the most interesting books about The Russian Revolution is Nicohlas and Alexandra by Robert Massie. It contends that because of the son and heir's hemophilia, his mother Anastasio come under the influence of Rassputin and Nicholas was influenced or not influenced by his wife.

message 15: by Holly (new)

Holly Weiss (hollyweiss) | 306 comments Russian WinterRussian Winter is excellent as is The Bronze Horseman

message 16: by Gary (new)

Gary Inbinder | 174 comments It's an oldie, but if you haven't read it, you can't go wrong with Pasternak's Dr. Zhivago.Doctor Zhivago

message 17: by Courtney (new)

Courtney | 14 comments @Gary, I just found an old copy of this. It even has illustrations. I've always heard that Dr. Zhivago was a movie from the 60's, but I didn't know about the book. I really want to read all of these books in preparation for my upcoming summer trip to Russia. I'll mostly be in Siberia, but I'll also be hanging out in Moscow and St. Petersberg for a few days.

message 18: by Petra (new)

Petra | 2 comments Thanks for all the suggestions! I'll definitely be adding some of these to my TBR.

And I'm glad to see someone else read The Bronze Horseman was a little "eh" on it too...

message 19: by Linda (new)

Linda G. Petra wrote: "I've been on a bit of a Russian history kick lately and I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for some good fiction. I'm up for any and all time periods although I guess I lean toward the R..."

Okay, I have several I've enjoyed very much. One is Edward Rutherfurd's Russka, an odyssey of a story that takes the reader all the way through Russian history. Recently I read The Winter Palace, a recently released novel about Catherine the Great. And several years ago, The Tsarina's Daughter, an unabashedly romantic tale.

message 20: by Gary (new)

Gary Inbinder | 174 comments Petra wrote: "I've been on a bit of a Russian history kick lately and I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for some good fiction. I'm up for any and all time periods although I guess I lean toward the R..."

Petra, a friend just recommended Mikhail Bulgakov's "The Master and Margarita." Bulgakov wrote satires of the Bolshevik bureacracy (early 1920's). In that regard, I believe he was in the tradition of Gogol.

The Master and Margarita

message 21: by Natacha (new)

Natacha Pavlov (natachapavlov) | 7 comments I second that "The Bronze Horseman" and "The Master and Margarita" are amazing!! Glad to have stumbled upon this thread as I'd like to add some good titles to my list as well. :)

message 22: by Kristin (new)

Kristin Gleeson For a little later time period you might also try Helen Dunmore's book, The Seige, set during WWII and the sequel, The Betrayal, set in the 1950s.

The Siege
The Betrayal

message 23: by Nancy from NJ (new)

Katz Nancy from NJ (nancyk18) And I'm glad to see someone else read The Bronze Horseman was a little "eh" on it too...

I second that emotion. Funny part is that I was well acquainted with the author and read all of her books way before this. She even wrote to one of the very early book groups on AOL many years ago. I couldn't wait to read this title but found it so tedious where as I really loved her other books. I even went on to read the second book and bought the third book which I neve rpicked up. Maybe it was timing - who knows. Maybe I'll try it again, someday.

But I will reommend one of her mysteries which takes place on the campus of Darmouth and was great - Red Leaves.

message 24: by Garth (new)

Garth Here are two Goodreads list polls on historical fiction set in Russia:

http://www.goodreads.com/list/show/22...

http://www.goodreads.com/list/show/22...

message 25: by Amanda (new)

Amanda (amandaes09) | 3 comments I liked The Rose Code, and The Faberge Secret recently, as well as Lost Roses. I loved The Winter Garden.

message 26: by Amanda (new)

Amanda (amandaes09) | 3 comments I didn't mean to include the Rose Code. Just Faberge Secret and Lost Roses and The Winter Garden- all as historical fiction, more than nonfiction suggestions.

message 27: by Amanda (new)

Amanda (amandaes09) | 3 comments Natacha wrote: "I second that "The Bronze Horseman" and "The Master and Margarita" are amazing!! Glad to have stumbled upon this thread as I'd like to add some good titles to my list as well. :)"
I enjoyed the first 7/8 of The Bronze Horseman until the love story took center stage and it just became about them having sex 24/7- but the part that took place during the siege of Leningrad was heart-wrenching and well written and my first introduction into what happened there.

message 28: by Natacha (new)

Natacha Pavlov (natachapavlov) | 7 comments Amanda wrote: "Natacha wrote: "I second that "The Bronze Horseman" and "The Master and Margarita" are amazing!! Glad to have stumbled upon this thread as I'd like to add some good titles to my list as well. :)"
..."

Hi, though it's been 15 years (!!) since I read The Bronze Horseman, I do recall being less keen on the physical (repetitive?) romance, too. Seeing as this thread is dated, thanks for the other title suggestions. I see that there are two novels titled 'The Fabergé Secret.' Which one did you enjoy? Another more recent Russian hist fic novel that is also worth checking out is 'The Romanov Empress' by C.W. Gortner. 

message 29: by Diana (new)

Diana Drakulich | 1 comments Rasputin - Man Behind the Myth, by Maria Rasputin.

Rasputin The Man Behind The Myth: A Personal Memoir
Maria Rasputin

Written by Rasputin's daughter, this book is unique and very revealing. A great read on the man and the hidden players behind the Russian Revolution. For the first time I realized the telltale hallmarks of the Russian Revolution using the same `Divide and Conquer' playbook happening in the West now.

message 30: by Aurora (new)

Aurora | 64 comments Jewel of St Petersburg by Kate Furnivall
Tsarina by Ellen Apstein
Dust and ashes by Anatoli Rybakov ( a story of a Russian Jewish family from late 1800s to past WWII)
Children of the Arbat trilogy ( not for the faint hearted)
Jennifer Laam also wrote three books that took place in Russia: Lost season of love and snow about Pushkin and his wife, then other one about Catherine the great and last about Russian revolution. Hope i helped!

message 31: by Judy (new)

Judy Kleinman | 1 comments For clean, light reading I enjoyed these: Becoming Malka and Destiny by Design- Leah's Journey

message 32: by Melissa (new)

Melissa Eisenmeier (carpelibrumbooks) | 303 comments I'm curious about this , too.

message 33: by Irene (new)

Irene (irenecolth) | 4 comments I really liked Red Mistress. It's a smaller story than I think the others mentioned are, but I liked how narrow its focus was.