Amazon Kindle discussion

Device Related > buy kindle fire in America will it work in OZ??

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Maxine (new)

Maxine (maxine_peters) | 31 comments Hi everyone.
My kindle was run over by my car ... :(!!!!!
now i have to decide if i should buy a replacement kindle or upgrade to the FIRE!
to buy a kindle fire here in Australia it will cost close to $400 yet i can buy the same from America at half the cost even with currency conversion AND adding postage.

my question is...
if i do prchase the fire from America will it work here in Australia???
The only thing that might not work is the 3g but honestly i dont need it. i didn't need it on my broken kindle.

anyone??
maxine

message 2: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 366 comments you can't buy apps/games/get videos etc from the amazon store for the fire in australia. people have side-loaded stuff, but I don't know how easy/hard that is

message 3: by Maxine (new)

Maxine (maxine_peters) | 31 comments thats ok. i don't BUY apps or games anyway :)
sideload?please explain

message 4: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 366 comments sideload is getting apps etc from another place and then installing them on the fire, rather than doing it directly through amazon.

if you aren't going to buy apps/games etc, you might be better to just stick with an e-ink kindle, or is there some other reason you want a fire?

message 5: by Maxine (new)

Maxine (maxine_peters) | 31 comments it is colour! i will be using apps but not ones through amazon.

Ralph Gallagher | 327 comments Mod
The Kindle Fire does not have 3G. It's wifi-only. It also cannot be read in sunlight since it has an LCD screen like a laptop would.

If you're going to be using it for primarily reading, go with a regular Kindle. The Fire is a tablet, not an ereader.

message 7: by Maxine (new)

Maxine (maxine_peters) | 31 comments hmmmmmm. did not know that Ralph. thanks for the info. I just decided to go normal kindle.
Lets hope the touch screen one is as good as the keypad one.