Verve Lit Awards Bookclub discussion

Melanie Dickerson
This topic is about Melanie Dickerson
The Healer's Apprentice vs. The Merchant's Daughter (spoilers may appear)

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jessie (new)

Jessie (a_quill_pen) | 5 comments Mod
In the past few weeks, I've read both Healer's Apprentice and Merchant's Daughter by Melanie Dickerson. She writes Christian versions of classic fairy tales... and does it well, without sounding stuffy and overtly old-fashioned.

Healer's Apprentice was loosely based off of Snow White. Never seen the movie, but I'm certain this is better than Disney could have done. There was a considerable amount of character development in this book, saying as it IS mostly about romance. This book is deff. appropriate for teenagers, probably a good age would be 14+. But I'm a pansy when it comes to ratings, as I know most 11 year olds watch rated R movies these days. HA is barely pushing PG, and that is due to (view spoiler)E and the ending. There is a lot of morals presented throughout, and some of the characters even have to operate the Holy Spirit and listen to God to overcome obstacles. When's the last time you saw a character using their authority through Jesus Christ?!
There could have been some pacing improvements and a little less drama intensity, but other than that I recommend Healer's Apprentice with a thumbs up.

Merchant's Daughter is based of of Beauty and the Beast. I read the Golden Books version of B&B when I was younger, so I had (some) idea as to the plot. This book was shelved in the adult section of my library, which surprised me. It had less intensity than HA, which was in the Teen section. In my opinion, it seemed obvious that the author got some flack for how out-of-the-box her first book was. Merchant's Daughter had more to do with medieval-ness, romance, and was overall an exact replica of HA structure/character-wise. However, I will give props to the author for using 'Yea' and 'Nay' instead of Yes and No. This was kind of overshadowed by the NIV verses of the Bible... KJV could have easily been used to keep a medieval tone, without having to use the LATIN TRANSLATION. I do realize that people consider the NIV more invigorating and to the point, but with little effort and a few Hebrew word-searches, the same things could have been expressed without sounding like Princess Bride meets Camp Rock.

To be truly honest, I like Healer's Apprentice better, and many people online seem to hold the same view. The Spiritual maturity was deeper in HA; MD was more of a watered down romance. Where HA is sometimes melodramatic, MD... I don't even remember anything about MD. I can't be completely snotty about this, because it stuck to the romance genre as far as I could tell, and I'm not used to reading those.

The only thing that bothered me about both books was the lack of modesty between the Male and Female characters at the end.
(view spoiler)
Other than that... Melanie Dickerson is a very good writer.
(WILHELM. I LOVE THEE. *swoonfaints*)

What are your thoughts about these books? Anything you liked about one book over the other?

message 2: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (thedestinyofone) I read the Merchant's Daughter this weekend and really liked it. As soon as I read the other books, I will tell you what I think.

message 3: by Jessie (new)

Jessie (a_quill_pen) | 5 comments Mod
Awesome! I liked Merchant's Daughter too, but I was trying to put my 'Serious Book Reviewer Face' on. xD

message 4: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (thedestinyofone) Jessie wrote: "Awesome! I liked Merchant's Daughter too, but I was trying to put my 'Serious Book Reviewer Face' on. xD"

Well as soon as I read the other book, I will give you a serious book reviewer face too ;)