Oly Reads discussion

Assorted & Sundry > Oly Reads is Growing!

Comments Showing 1-47 of 47 (47 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Agathafrye (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:45PM) (new)

Agathafrye | 751 comments Mod
Does anyone feel like introducing themself? No pressure!

Me: librarian, I'll be FORTY next month, I live with a patient man named Dave and our thirteen year old daughter on the Eastside of Oly. I have two guinea pigs, two cats, and one dog. All of them are geriatric. I like black licorice, chocolate, coffee, and Quality Burrito. I have recently been spending a lot of time thinking about the sweet potato fries when I'm not engaged in eating them. My favorite alcoholic drink is a well-made Bloody Mary, followed by Mojitos. Oh, and I like to read.

message 2: by Jackie "the Librarian" (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:46PM) (new)

Jackie "the Librarian" | 259 comments Mod
Hi, I'm Jackie, and I'm a librarian, too. I'm 41, live right on 4th Ave just across the street and up from The Olympian. I have a sweet, piano playing huband and two black cats, Eddie and Spooky. I love stupid old monster movies, stay up too late reading (and computing, lately. Damn you, Goodreads!), and I really enjoy a hot beverage. Coffee, hot chocolate, tea, hot cider, I love them all! Favorite music groups are Steely Dan (they are snarky), Van Morrison, and The Beatles. Favorite Beatles song: Don't Let Me Down. Favorite day: Thursday. Favorite color: aqua. Favorite ice cream: mint chocolate chip in the summer, coffee in the winter. Favorite Oly pizza: Vic's. In person, I am polite and shy.

message 3: by Jenn (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:46PM) (new)

Jenn | 6 comments Hi, I'm Jenn. I'm 28, just moved to Oly from Seattle. I live on the eastside near the shockingly expensive ralph's thriftway. I work for a social service agency, play the violin, love all sorts of music but especially delta blues, classic rock, Otis Redding, and I could go on forever so I'll stop there. My house looks like a jungle due to a bajillion houseplants, I knit alot of scarfs, and I would go camping every weekend if I could. I'm still working in Seattle because finding a job in Olympia is much harder than I expected, my commute is terrible and I get car sick if I read in the car, so I haven't been able to read very much lately.

king dinoaur, aka colt winchester, aka scott, you should post on here when your band is playing. It would be fun to check out some local music.

ps... I LOVE bloody marys too. (I mean REALLY love them). :)

message 4: by Jenny (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:47PM) (new)

Jenny | 19 comments Hey guys. I'm Jenny. I used to live in Oly and now I live in South Bend, which is by Aberdeen. But I still come to Olympia at least every Sunday to work at the library. I'm in grad school getting a masters in Library Science. When I'm not doing homework I read a lot of juvenile and YA fiction, and the odd adult book too. I live with my awesome boyfriend, Will and three cats. One is a giant. One has anal gland issues and acne. One is svelte and extremely fickle. And Will has a bad back, but a super powerful brain. I listen to a lot of heavy metal, particularly from the late 60s and 70s. I'm on a real Judas Priest kick right now.
I'm a fan of Budweiser. And coffee. But not usually at the same time.

message 5: by Agathafrye (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:50PM) (new)

What an awesome group this is! I'm not sure what to make of the high ratio of Bloody Mary lovers and metalheads, but it's probably best not to think about it too much. Jenn, if you want to have a really good Bloody Mary, you need to have one at the Voyeur. They are yum. Let me know if you want to join me for one some day.

message 6: by Jenn (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:51PM) (new)

Jenn | 6 comments I think I've been to the Voyeur, but haven't tried their bloody marys yet. I must admit I've become quite the fan of the bloody marys at Spar. As soon as I find work down there and will have a little more time, we could start a Bloody Mary Book Club. :)

message 7: by Blujbird (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:51PM) (new)

Blujbird Twig | 20 comments Ooh, lot of librarians.
My name is Jenny Macc (yes, ANOTHER Jenny) I live on the west side of town in a cute house with my husband who is very active in the theater community.
I work part time as a para-educator at Lincoln Elementary school (yea, the Alternative school). The other part time I knit like crazy and I have a small business selling on the internet, http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=....
I have two cats and I don't like either one of them. My husband and I have a 17 year old son who lives with his grandmother on the east side of town. Our relationship with him is estranged at this time but someday I hope he will get his shit together.

I don't drink much but I do like a Mojito when I go out, nobody ever makes 'em though 'cause ya gotta have mint so I usually order a GT. But now that everyone is mentioning it I am thinking I'd like a bloody Mary.
I don't like movies, I get most of my stories from books. I LOVE to dance so most of the music I listen to has a good dance beat. My son loves Motown so he always has that playing when he visits but mostly I enjoy the sound of silence.

Oh and Jenny, if you like juvenile fiction have you read Gary Paulsons "Harris and Me?" I would highly recommend this book.

The Voyeur also has a great avocado melt sandwich too!

message 8: by Agathafrye (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:51PM) (new)

They have great mojitos at Quality Burrito! Gawd, I sound like a lush. Really I'm not. A Bloody Mary and Mojito book group sounds like a fabulous to me, although we should leave it open to non-Bloody/Mojito-lovers as well. Another recurring trend in this group: lots of Jen's.

message 9: by Agathafrye (last edited Aug 25, 2016 02:10PM) (new)

We've got a few new folks, so I thought I'd rescuscitate this thread. Welcome, new folks! If you aren't shy, feel free to post a little something something about yourselves.

message 10: by Kristi (last edited Aug 25, 2016 02:11PM) (new)

Kristi (kristis) | 48 comments Hi everyone,
I'm Kristi and have lived in Oly for (gulp) round about 22 years and will be 44 tommorrow! I'm also a children's librarian but really truly love to read grown-up books as well (one reason for joining this group). Jenn- my hubby also works in social services and just recently got a job here in town (commuted to Tacoma prior) so hang in there! I'll admit I don't listen to loads of metal (currently playing Rilo Kiley) or drink Bloody Marys (pink Martinis are my fave) but I do have a cat. I live on the west-side of town in a tiny house that needs painting. I love reading biographies and memoirs (or as a friend of mine calls them "crappy life books") and just put one of Nono's suggestions on hold.

message 11: by Agathafrye (last edited Aug 25, 2016 02:11PM) (new)

Yay, Kristi! Kristi's the best. My house is tiny and needs painting too, for the record.

message 12: by Jackie "the Librarian" (last edited Aug 25, 2016 02:11PM) (new)

Happy Birthday, Kristi! My house needs some painting, because we are scared to get up on the roof to paint the dormer ourselves. That'll teach me to not have a tiny house. And it really needs a new roof after those last two storms.
We should definitely get together for a variety of drinks and talk books some time. But maybe after the holidays. I want to make cookies this weekend, and shop. I have trouble shopping for other people in bookstores - I always end up with something for ME. Like I need MORE books.

message 13: by Marjorie (last edited Aug 25, 2016 02:12PM) (new)

Marjorie | 7 comments I haven't introduced myself...hmmm, okay. I'm Margi, I'll be (gulp)40 at my next birthday. I live on the east side of Oly with my husband and 8 YO boy. We also have 2 cats and 2 dogs. I'm not working at the moment, but need/want to find a job. I'd like to find one with a local school district so I could have pretty much the same schedule as the wee one I'm not a librarian, but I do love the Lacey library very much. Bloody Marys are okay, but what really makes me sing is a nice Cuba Libre. I am intrigued by Mojitos, but never had one. What do I like to read? I enjoy fiction, and biographies.

message 14: by Merwyn (last edited Aug 25, 2016 02:14PM) (new)

Merwyn Haskett | 46 comments I really need to pay better attention -

I'm Merwyn, but everyone calls me Merwyn. I ate turkey, cranberries and pumpkin pie on my 35th birthday a couple weeks ago. I live in a nice but thin-walled apartment on the westside with my girlfriend and our yorkie. We disgust people by refering to her as our little baby girl.

Once upon a time I had read everything at the Olympia library, the librarians knew me by name, but years later I don't know any of them personally and there's not enough time left in life to read all that I want to.

I start to read practically everything, but it's not often that I actually finish a book all the way through. It's hard to get past a four or five page boring stretch, and I feel like I'm cheating if I just skim-read like some people do. That's probably why I read a disproportionate amount of kid and YA lit, along with mass paperback pulps. I can feel like I'm at least accomplishing something if I can pad the numbers.

But even with all the dumbed down books I still have favorites which I really have read all the way through more than once, including Tristram Shandy, To Kill a Mockingbird, and Ulysses.
I can't stand Bloody Marys, but after enough gin or rum or Guiness I'll drink anything anyway.

message 15: by Agathafrye (last edited Aug 25, 2016 02:14PM) (new)

Welcome everybody! How many Sagittarians do we have in this group? Seems like a lot.
Common themes amongst Oly Reads members as perceived by moi:
metal lovers
Bloody Mary lovers
Bloody Mary haters
Mojito Lovers
beer lovers
hot beverage lovers
40 year olds
librarians
library fans
pet owners
small house havers (not a word)
people who need to paint their house(s)
crafty folks
people who want jobs in Oly
YA & Juvenile fiction readers

We seem to be pretty evenly split between the East side and the West side. Did I miss anything?

PS- HAPPY BIRTHDAY, Kristi! Somehow I missed that little portion of your post. We should have a joint birthday sometime.

message 16: by Emjaro (last edited Aug 25, 2016 02:19PM) (new)

Emjaro | 3 comments Hi, I'm late to the game - but wanted to introduce myself.

I'm Emma. I live on the way west side - out off steamboat. Moved to Oly back in May after living in Seattle for 8 years. My husband (got married this past August) grew up in and around Oly and we love living down here. As does my doggie who spent most of her life in apartments. A super nice change from Seattle.

I'll read just about anything and read all the time. I guess my favorite genre is literary fiction and documentary/contemporary historical non-fiction like Jon Krakauer.

For work I help different government agencies mostly on IT projects and the rest of my time I spend working on a graduate degree at UW.

Like other folks here, i'm a fan of bloody mary's and mojitos... but also love coffee and probably drink too much of that.

It'd be fun to organize a get together to meet everyone and chat books, oly and life. Maybe we can do a book swap - where folks can bring books they've read and trade them for ones they haven't.

Maybe after the holidays?

message 17: by Agathafrye (new)

Hi, Emma, and welcome. I think a book swap sounds like a great idea. Although I get lots of my books at the library, I still own more than my fair share. I don't have a lot going on in January- maybe we could plan something after January 10th, when we've all semi-recovered from the holidays?

PS- your dog is mega-cute. What's her name?

message 18: by Emjaro (new)

Emjaro | 3 comments Yes! After the holidays sounds like a good plan.

My dog is named Sassy and she's very cute and a little crazy.

I still need to get a library card - that's another point for discussion - what's the best library in olympia? (oh yes, i like to stir it up!)

Actually, there's only one public library in Olympia, the Olympia Timberland Library. There are branches in Tumwater, Lacey, Tenino, Yelm, Shelton, etc. Once you get a Timberland Library card, you can check books out from any of the branches, and return them to any branch, too.
As I work at the Oly branch, I of course think it is the best library in the area. I may be biased.

message 20: by Kristi (new)

Kristi (kristis) | 48 comments uh oh Jackie, thems are fightin' words... ;-)

message 21: by Agathafrye (new)

For sheer tenacity and excitement and the best staff, the Oly library wins. For aesthetic beauty, Lacey wins. For most teens, Tumwater wins.

Kristi, I think you secretly know that the Olympia Library is the best. :) It's okay, you don't have to say it out loud.

message 22: by Kristi (new)

Kristi (kristis) | 48 comments Ha Ha! Lacey is number one for displays (come check out Kelsie's creations), woodsy walking trails for your lunchtime enjoyment, and the best group of storytime kids EVER.

message 23: by Agathafrye (new)

Kelsie does throw down a mean display, it's true. You've got us on the walking trails, as well, but we have a book babies group that's so dedicated they hold their own sessions when the librarians are taking their seasonal break.

Olympia has at least five Jack Cady books and five Marquez books checked in (more if you want them in Spanish) RIGHT NOW. Just sayin'.

message 24: by Kristi (new)

Kristi (kristis) | 48 comments "Olympia has at least five Jack Cady books and five Marquez books checked in"...

Just goes to show that Lacey patrons check out great authors!! :-)

King, sorry you had to make a futile trip to Lacey. You may want to check the online catalog before heading out - saves gas and headaches!

message 25: by Kelsie (last edited Dec 20, 2007 10:08AM) (new)

Kelsie (kelsierubich) | 18 comments Okay, I realized that I never did the whole introducing myself to everyone thing. Here it is!

My name is Kelsie. I am 23 years old. I work at the Lacey Library as a Youth Services Associate & I have fun! My head is currently shaved & I am rockin' the wigs like nobody's buisness. I have two black and white kitties- lucy and weetzie bat. (Named after one of my favorite books EVER) Weetzie can be a terror and I often threaten to take her to kitty bootcamp.

When I'm not rockin' the library I am at home reading, rearranging my furniture every couple weeks, making weird objects, people watching, being on the computer, etc. I'm also getting back into painting, so I've been trying my hand at that again. I would have to say that thanks to my friend luke, my new favorite drink is a sloe gin fizz. yum!

Anything else? I'm applying for library school soon, I love going on adventures and I'm working on making things beautiful. Nice to meet you all!

p.s. everyone knows that the lacey library is radder than oly. we have fergus the dog & bears in the forest! oh yeah.

message 26: by Judy (new)

Judy (jpitchford) | 40 comments Hello all -
My name is Judy and I just joined the Good Reads and Oly Reads today, at the suggestion of Kristi.
I am (yet another) librarian, working at the State Library with (ack!) Government Information. I am 45 years old and just had hip replacement surgery so have a little more time to read than usual. I am married (23 years) with two kids, 1 very small dog and 3 cats. My favorite alcoholic beverage is beer - the good microbrewed stuff - but I do like an occasional Mojito! I'll read just about anything but nothing too heavy, if you know what I mean. Enjoyment is what I am striving for. I used to be an ekementary school librarian so I still gravitate towards that genre on occasion.
It's great to meet all of you - Thanks to Kristi for letting me know about this!

message 27: by Agathafrye (new)

Kelsie and Judy! Hooray! Count me out on the gin, blech.

message 28: by Agathafrye (new)

Looks like we got some more new members in the past few weeks- welcome to Courtney, Scott, Aaron, Amy, Rodney, Rachel, Sheri, Kari, Nitescribe, and Chaney! (I hope I didn't miss anyone in there- I was looking for folks who had joined in December and January...). If you feel brave, let us know a little bit about you. For that matter, anyone I missed who's been lurking- come out, come out, whoever you are! Also, just to remind people, anyone can start a thread here or add some book to the collective bookshelf at the bottom of the page.

message 29: by Scott (new)

Scott (ScottDunn) I too am a crafty and "reading addicted" Sagittarius. My name is Scott and I actually live in Tacoma. I moved here from Olympia two years ago but still hold true to my Oly roots. As my reading list grows and pulses, I welcome all suggestions for new literature.

I am a big fan of new metal, libraries, travel, street food, home-improvement, beer, mojitos, album collecting, and I have a killer spicy recipe for Bloody Mary mix....It makes for a laid back Sunday brunch.

message 30: by Agathafrye (new)

Welcome, Scott! When's your birthday? Mine is December 5th. You'll have to join our Bloody Mary book group if you're willing to make visits to Oly, which it sounds as though you might be. Where's the good street food in Tacoma? I have enjoyed the Hilltop Quickie's food from time to time, but that's as close to street food as I've found.

message 31: by Scott (new)

Scott (ScottDunn) I love Quickies. I am also a fan of Le Le's on hilltop which boasts some killer curries. Across the street is Tempest Lounge and eatery with a wholesome and eclectic menu and if you have had too many gimlets, then venture into the side-streets to look for the portable BBQ cart. You come away reeking like a briquette, but you can get some delish late nigth meats there. Heartburn is the bonus.

My brithday is December 4th. I spent mine in Arizona wearing flipflops and hunting down cacti. Have a cozy and wet weekend.

message 32: by Meridee (new)

Meridee | 12 comments My name is Meridee and I'm somewhat of a lurker. I have a sweet little Pomeranian, my husband and I have been together since 1971 and we are both avid readers and movie watchers. I am 56 years old and a Scorpio. I am into hip hop and headbangin' music. I was born and raised in Oly, then left for about 25 years and have been back for almost 5 years now. Love fantasy, true crime, true adventure, and cookbooks. I tend to stay in the house for long periods of time ( neighbors actually asked friends if I had died) but this year I have ventured out and actually got my library card and joined the YMCA! I guess I live on the eastside kinda-- I live on a boat on Eastbay in Swantown Marina--but I like to think of it as a central location and claim the whole town as mine. I am prematurely retired and loving it.

message 33: by Agathafrye (new)

Belated welcome, Meridee! Thanks for introducing yourself and coming out of lurk mode. You sound like a really hip and interesting 56 year old. I'm actually going to the Y tomorrow to sign the family up. I even bought a hideous swimsuit last week for the first time in probably fifteen years.

message 34: by Aaron (new)

Aaron | 1 comments HI,

I'm an Olympia native living in the bay area (for now).
Work for an audio hardware/software company, make wine, obsess about wine and food, play drums, read whenever time permits, live with my wife and 2 cats.

message 35: by Agathafrye (new)

Welcome, Aaron! It must have been hard for you to live in Oly as a food lover. Lately, there have been a few restaurants opening around here that are trying to take dining experiences a tiny bit higher than they have typically been in Olympia. There's even a new wine bar that I haven't been to yet, but am looking forward to checking out. The Bay Area is the place to be for foodies, that's fer shur. What kind of wine do you like to make? When did you move out of Olympia?

message 36: by Agathafrye (new)

Oly Reads has 45 people now! Welcome to the latest batch of Oly Readers: Names, Merdeath, Danee, Emphatica, Jill, and Amber. Come out of lurk mode and introduce yourselves if you're not feeling too shy...

message 37: by Agathafrye (new)

Also, welcome Susan P! I thought you were already a member, for some reason, but I guess I was wrong. Maybe I thought that because it made such perfect sense.

message 38: by Kristi (new)

Kristi (kristis) | 48 comments Hey there! And thanks for the welcome. Kelsey - I am on the children's librarian's goodreads, but just recently joined this one. And I'm so glad I did b/c now I've found some Bloody Mary friends! We definitely need to meet at Voyeur and The Spar soon and do a taste comparison!

I am a fairly recent Oly transplant - my hubby and I moved here about a year ago from Colorado with our 2 cats. So far we are still struggling to adjust to the weather, but we love being by the water, getting to pick blueberries and blackberries in the summer, and the Trader Joe's and Ikea shopping opportunities. I am a Youth Services Librarian at the Lacey Timberland Library and enjoy walking around the St Martin's campus during my lunch breaks (although after the attack last week I have to stick to the main roads which really sucks). I read mostly J and YA stuff, but try to fit in the occasional grown-up book as well.

message 39: by Agathafrye (new)

Just to clarify, the previous post from Kristi is actually from Susan. I suspect they had a usernamepasswordsnafu at work. It took me a minute to figure the whole thing out!

Anyhow, welcome Susan!

Thanks for the clarification, Agathafrye. I was very confused.
Welcome, confusing Susan! I guess folks at Lacey share close quarters, and computers.

message 41: by Susan (new)

Susan  Dunn (susanp) Crap. Sorry about that. Yes, I think Kristi and I need to make sure to remember to uncheck that box that keeps you logged in... Of course after today it will be a moot point, as Kristi leaves us to go to Olympia. Boo hoo...

I may need Bloody Mary's before our next meeting in order to console myself!

message 42: by Earball (new)

Earball | 4 comments Hey all - I've been posting my books the last couple months, but haven't been very active in discussions. Mostly because I spend too much of my work time staring at computers, so I don't want to spend my fun time that way also. But I'll try to be a little more active.

I'm another Scott -- westside dweller, Olympia resident on and off since, um, for quite a while. Family moved here from farther up Puget Sound when I was 3. My sister, three years older, taught me to read when she was learning in school, so I got well ahead and have always been fairly voracious.

I live with a wife and a cat, who compete regularly in their vocal skills. We try to live simply, cooking most of our own meals, driving minimally, opting for self-entertainment or live music far more often than movie theaters or TV. (Though I do have a fondness for the new Battlestar Galactica and ABC's Eli Stone.)

I'm also a longtime photographer, with my first public showing at Arts Walk this spring (at the Christian Science Reading Room -- hey! Reading! -- on 4th Avenue near the Spar).

For the record, I'm not a librarian. No bloody maries for me. I'll settle for a mango lassi.

Careful there, with the mango lassis. Lassies? It's so easy to drink the whole thing before the food comes, and then you don't have much room left for the tandoori chicken.
And that is how they getcha!

message 44: by Kristi (new)

Kristi (kristis) | 48 comments Hi Scott, Velkommen. Good luck with your photography exhibit!

message 45: by Agathafrye (new)

Welcome, Scott! I love mango lassi, as well. In fact, anything mango is okay with me. Truthfully, I'm a bit fearful of the Christian Science room, but maybe I'll overcome my fear to check your work out. I think I might have seen some pictures of your modified-for-efficiency bike- is that you? Thanks for posting your books, too. I encourage everyone to do so whenever the mood strikes. The annoying thing about the books posted in groups is that it doesn't show the newest ones first, so it's hard to tell when an exciting new book is posted. I wonder if they might be able to change that if we whine enough to the feedback forum?

message 46: by Earball (new)

Earball | 4 comments Thanks for the warm welcomes!

Agatha - I don't think the image you have in mind is one of mine... I have few bike pics, except for some bike carnival photos from the Seattle Center, and this local oddity: http://www.flickr.com/photos/earball/...

And don't be scared about the Reading Room... it's quiet, even peaceful (well, maybe not during Artswalk!) and nobody's pushy about religion there.

As for the group bookshelf... I think you CAN sort the list by the date the book was added to the list. Check out this link:
http://www.goodreads.com/group/booksh...

or just click on "date added" at the top of the list until you see a recent date at the top. Is that what you were looking for?

message 47: by Agathafrye (new)

I guess you aren't the same person I thought you were. I've seen that drumbike! It's so cool. I won't be scared of the reading room since you have reassured me- in fact, I'll even go in and check out your show tomorrow or Saturday. As for the books, they sort in the list, but then when I get back to the main group page, they seem to be out of order again. Maybe it's just me. Anyhow, welcome!

Also, looks like we have another new member... welll helllloooo Linda!