The Dusty Bookshelf discussion

For Fun > TV Shows

Comments Showing 1-50 of 89 (89 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Jessica (new)

Jessica (Books: A true story) (booksatruestory) | 490 comments Mod
What are your favorite shows to watch right now?

message 2: by Veritas (new)

Veritas (umbra_veritatis) | 17 comments NCIS criminal minds and most crime mystery and sci fi shows tbh

message 3: by Hayley (new)

Hayley Stewart (haybop) | 491 comments Mod
Big fan of True Blood & Sons of Anarchy! Hate that the UK's behind because I always accidentally see spoiler posts on some friends status updates etc just because I refuse to find the show online and watch it early (it's illegal and if everyone did that then that'd take away from the creators & actors as well as affect the ratings).

message 4: by Jessica (new)

LOL I had the same problem with Downton Abbey! I totally got spoiled for the Christmas episode on tumblr. Yay for no piracy. Someday the internet will change that legally. I haz a feeling.

message 5: by Hayley (new)

Yeah, I'm not a big fan of internet piracy - but I do think the acts that the big companies are trying to get passed are a bit on the OTT side!

Never became a big fan of Downton Abbey tbh. I did try tho', honest!

message 6: by Vanessa (new)

Vanessa (voorhees) I probably watch a bit too much tv.
Glee, Vampire Diaries, True Blood, Alcatraz, It's Always Sunny, New Girl. Yes, the list could go on.
I'm also into Kdramas, those and a few 'reality' shows are some of my guilty pleasures.

message 7: by ஐ Briansgirl (Book Queen)ஐ (last edited Feb 24, 2012 04:44AM) (new)

ஐ Briansgirl (Book Queen)ஐ (briansgirlkate) The only currently run tv show that I watch is Castle. One competition show I watch is Chopped (Food Network).

I absolutely can't stand True Blood. Loved the books until they went down hill. The tv show went to the authors head because once the show (which barely resembles the books) came out, the last several books have gone downhill. I've lost respect for the author.

And don't blame the internet for showing tv shows. The networks themselves (and some cable channels too) put the shows online the day after they air so you can watch them if you missed them. That doesn't mean bootleg copies aren't available somewhere, but places like Hulu.com were set up to legally watch tv shows free. (Although I think they tend to show older shows.)

message 8: by Rachael (new)

Rachael | 13 comments I love watching Criminal Minds and The Mentalist. Up until they ended I liked Ghost Whisperer and Medium. LOVE New Girl. Thats about it. Other than that I don't watch much. Although I would like to get into the Vampire Diaries and True Blood, think I'd enjoy them but there never seems to be anough time and if there is any spare time knocking about I prefer to pick up what ever book I'm reading at the time.

message 9: by Rachael (new)

Rachael | 13 comments Oh not heard of many of them but I also like Murder She Wrote, Diagnosis Murder and Monk.. That's if I get the chance to watch day time tele which is VERY rare!

message 10: by Jessica (new)

Chimney wrote: "The only show I am really following right now is Once Upon a Time, which I have been enjoying immensely. I mean the show has its flaws, but overall it's really good and fun to watch and discuss wit..."

I really liked the idea of Once Upon a Time. I watched the pilot but I haven't watched the rest of it. I haven't really had the time! Maybe I'll get it on DVD and just watch the whole thing.

message 11: by [deleted user] (new)

I love watching anything fantasy based. Automatically I enjoy Once Upon A Time, Supernatural, The Secret Circle, and The Vampire Diaries. I also enjoy Ringer and Nikita. I watch a lot of TV lol...

message 12: by [deleted user] (new)

Jessica wrote: "Chimney wrote: "The only show I am really following right now is Once Upon a Time, which I have been enjoying immensely. I mean the show has its flaws, but overall it's really good and fun to watch..."

At first I didn't like OUAT, but it got really good. I think you'll get hooked once you're caught up. A LOT has happened since the pilot.

message 13: by Denise (last edited Feb 24, 2012 12:21PM) (new)

Denise (dulcinea3) | 307 comments I watch WAY too much TV! I agree that Once Upon a Time has continued to get better as it has gone along. Let's see, I'm sure I'll miss some, but I like that show, Masterpiece (mostly the Classic and Mystery shows), Alcatraz, Two and a Half Men, Big Bang Theory, Modern Family, Hot in Cleveland, Body of Proof, Hawaii 5-O, and a bunch of competition/reality series whenever they're on, including Survivor, Project Runway, Restaurant Impossible, Face Off, Big Brother, Dancing with the Stars, etc. I've really been getting into a lot of the Food Network's competition shows, even though I don't cook!

message 14: by Vanessa (new)

Vanessa (voorhees) Chopped is good, I had no idea cooking could be so suspenseful before that show came along.
Iron Chef American, Hell's Kitchen, Masterchef, Kitchen Nightmare, Diners Drive Ins and Dives, The Next Food Network Star. Adding to my list of shows.
While I'm watching these cooking shows I think "OH I'm going to have to try that one!"..I never do.

message 15: by ஐ Briansgirl (Book Queen)ஐ (last edited Feb 24, 2012 08:08PM) (new)

ஐ Briansgirl (Book Queen)ஐ (briansgirlkate) I really love the original Japanese Iron Chef. (If you get Cooking channel, which I've only seen on a free monthly preview, they air the original.) I'm not a fan of the American version. What makes all the difference...is in the american version, they don't really seem to care who wins. In the original japanese version, it was a matter of Honor! If a chef lost for his master and resteraunt, another was sent to try to win in his place, and eventually the master himself came if need be. It added suspense to the show that really made a whole heck of a lot of difference! I even found, own and read Iron Chef: The Official Book.
Iron Chef The Official Book by Fuji Television

As for chopped... I've gotten addicted to it. They do get some really odd ingredients though at times! But that's half the fun!

message 16: by Vanessa (new)

Vanessa (voorhees) I have the Cooking Channel but I've only seen the American version on it.

ஐ Briansgirl (Book Queen)ஐ (briansgirlkate) The japanese version was dubbed, with only the chairman's opening comments still in japanese and subtitled. You should try to catch at least one episode of the original and you'll understand what I mean about their being a difference in the atmosphere in kitchen stadium. Even my son enjoyed the original iron chef and we had our favorite.

message 18: by Hayley (new)

Ace wrote: "I also really enjoyed ...Firefly. "

Oh Firefly - it was a great show cut short before it's time - I loved that show!

Also like Psych but finding out when it's on & what channel it's on over here is like getting water from a stone :P

message 19: by Kelly (new)

Kelly vasquez Barrett (crazy4reading) I love shows about different peoples life and lifestyles Duggars Doomsday preppers and Big Brother.

message 20: by ஐ Briansgirl (Book Queen)ஐ (last edited Feb 26, 2012 09:15AM) (new)

ஐ Briansgirl (Book Queen)ஐ (briansgirlkate) Ace wrote: "I also really enjoyed Prison Break, Heroes, Gilmore Girls..."

If you like Gilmore Girls, then you will like this book:
Coffee at Luke's An Unauthorized Gilmore Girls Gabfest by Jennifer Crusie Coffee at Luke's: An Unauthorized Gilmore Girls Gabfest by Jennifer Crusie

I always manage to find books for tv series I like. :)
If you like Castle, then be sure to read:
Heat Wave (Nikki Heat, #1) by Richard Castle Naked Heat (Nikki Heat #2) by Richard Castle Heat Rises (Nikki Heat, #3) by Richard Castle

message 21: by ஐ Briansgirl (Book Queen)ஐ (last edited Feb 26, 2012 09:17AM) (new)

ஐ Briansgirl (Book Queen)ஐ (briansgirlkate) Kelly wrote: "I love shows about different peoples life and lifestyles Duggars Doomsday preppers and Big Brother."

Have you read...?
The Duggars 20 and Counting! Raising One of America's Largest Families—How They Do It by Michelle Duggar The Duggars: 20 and Counting!: Raising One of America's Largest Families—How They Do It by Michelle Duggar

I don't like the tv show but I was curious to see how they managed a household of that size. It was very interesting.

message 22: by Kelly (new)

Kelly vasquez Barrett (crazy4reading) ஐ Briansgirl "Book Sale Queen"ஐ wrote: "Kelly wrote: "I love shows about different peoples life and lifestyles Duggars Doomsday preppers and Big Brother."

Have you read...?
[bookcover:The Duggars: 20 and Counting!: Raising One of Americ..."

ஐ Briansgirl "Book Sale Queen"ஐ wrote: "Ace wrote: "I also really enjoyed Prison Break, Heroes, Gilmore Girls..."

If you like Gilmore Girls, then you will like this book:
[bookcover:Coffee at Luke's: An Unauthorized Gilmore Girls Gabfe..."

Yes I have read both books and enjoyed them very much.I have tried alot of the recipes wish they would come out with a cookbook.

message 23: by Joanna (new)

Joanna Mikalis (joannamikalis) | 4 comments Current shows: Ringer, How I Met Your Mother, Once Upon a Time, Modern Family

Old shows: Veronica Mars, Buffy

message 24: by Beri (new)

Beri (beriaru) | 7 comments Ahh BBC Sherlock is the only show I'm watching at the moment [it's getting a lot of hype recently].
Die hard Friend's fan though.

message 25: by Beth (new)

Beth (beth_jones8) Watching Criminal Minds right this very second

message 26: by Ampa (new)

Ampa (maniacmidget) | 8 comments My weekly lineup is
Mon: Alcatraz,
Tues: The New Girl,
Wed: Modern Family,
Thurs: 30 Rock, Parks & Rec, Up All Night, and The Office (and Community whenever that comes back)
Fri: Use Hulu to catch up on whatever shows I missed during the week because of work.

message 27: by Hayley (new)

Ace wrote: "It usually comes on Wednesdays at 10PM, but I get up early for work, so we just record it and watch it on Thursdays."

Unfortunately that's only in the US, not UK :( But thanks anyway :)

Beri wrote: "Ahh BBC Sherlock is the only show I'm watching at the moment [it's getting a lot of hype recently]. "

I love Sherlock, just wish it wasn't only 3 episodes for a series :(
Watching my recording of Body Of Proof - to be followed by True Blood tonight :D

message 28: by Missy (new)

Missy (LittleMissMissy) | 19 comments Sons of Anarchy. Absolute favorite. Ever. Seen every single episode. Cant wait for next season. Army Wives. The Secret Life of the American Teenager[I know, I know. Dumb but I'm addicted.]

message 29: by Missy (new)

Missy (LittleMissMissy) | 19 comments I didn't finish my post and my kindle doesn't have an edit button. Law&Order SVU, Teen Mom 1&2(because I was a teen mom), and Celebrity Apprentice.

message 30: by Kelly (new)

Kelly Ampa wrote: "My weekly lineup is
Mon: Alcatraz,
Tues: The New Girl,
Wed: Modern Family,
Thurs: 30 Rock, Parks & Rec, Up All Night, and The Office (and Community whenever that comes back)
Fri: Use Hulu to ca..."

That's my kind of Thursday. :-)

I'm a huge fan of 30 Rock and Parks and Rec, I also watch The Walking Dead and The Amazing Race. I've petered out on TV shows, can't believe I only watch 4 now!

message 31: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (cornishpixies) I'm a big fan of the Walking Dead and I love rewatching episodes of Torchwood, Doctor Who and Downton Abbey on Netflix.

message 32: by Andrew (new)

Andrew The top shows on TV right now:

I'm a sucker for shows like The River, Falling Skies, and Alcatraz. Anything against the norm. I haven't watched all of Walking Dead but I've liked what I've seen.

I also love my comedies...Parks and Rec, the Office, Frasier, How I Met Your Mother...

Then I watch a few reality shows. I'm still addicted to Survivor and the Amazing Race and catch a few episodes of American Idol every now and then.

message 33: by Andrew (new)

Andrew Ace wrote: "I don't know what I would do without my television. My current favorites (indicates the last episode I watched):

The Vampire Diaries (S03 E09)
The Secret Circle (S01 E15)
Revenge (S01 E04)
Psych (..."

You'd probably like Friday Night Lights then. Check it out on Netflix.

message 34: by Jessica (new)

I'm watching Once Upon a Time and I'm hooked! I love the huntsman!! I'm on episode 8. It's the only tv show I watch now that Downton Abbey is off the air. Everyone keeps talking about the vampire diaries. I'm wondering if I should give it a try...

message 35: by Carol (new)

Carol I've watched very little television in the last few years, but three shows that have really held my interest are Criminal Minds, Mad Men and American Experience on PBS. i never miss them!

message 36: by Denise (new)

Denise (dulcinea3) | 307 comments Jessica wrote: "I'm watching Once Upon a Time and I'm hooked! I love the huntsman!! I'm on episode 8."

I like that show, too. Which character do you mean by the huntsman?

message 37: by Denise (new)

Denise (dulcinea3) | 307 comments Chimney wrote: "Was Downton Abbey canceled? My dad keeps telling me to watch it, but I don't want to start if it has be permanently taken off."

No, it hasn't been canceled. There have been two seasons so far. In the next season, Shirley MacLaine will be joining the cast as Lady Cora's (Elizabeth McGovern) mother. I can't wait to see her and Maggie Smith interact! I hope there are fireworks!

message 38: by Jessica (new)

Denise wrote: "Jessica wrote: "I'm watching Once Upon a Time and I'm hooked! I love the huntsman!! I'm on episode 8."

I like that show, too. Which character do you mean by the huntsman?"

The huntsman is Grahm. The ex-sheriff.

message 39: by Elisha (new)

Elisha  | 3 comments Love the show House when I have the time to watch. I think it was cancelled recently? Shows how much time I have :-)

message 40: by Hayley (new)

After seeing it mentioned a few times here I looked up Once Upon A Time... and now I REALLY can't wait for it to start showing over here... darn you all (in the nicest possible way ;P)!! I shall now have to wait until April 1st (Robert Carlyle's in it - he rocks!)

message 41: by Stephanie (last edited Mar 13, 2012 06:50AM) (new)

Stephanie (steph007) | 20 comments My favorite shows are:

A List of Shows: (i must watch every week or else i will cry!)
Grey's Anatomy (been watching this since the first day it aired in the US!)
Glee and New Girl (These shows make me happy!)
Surivor (Yes, I'm ashamed to state that i like this show, but this season has been really awesome so far.)
Once Upon A Time (I grew up with all these fairytales, and i love what the creators of Lost are going with it. Also WAS A HUGE FAN OF LOST!!)
Pan Am (but i think it's going away!)

B List: (i watch these on demand through Comcast)
Top Shot (It's a shooting competition)
Face Off (This is an awesome make up design contest, which the contestants turn people into animals, or creatures.)
SMASH (i'm not sure if i like this show, but it's keeps making me want to watch it)
How I Met Your Mother and The Big Bang Theory (Great for reruns!)

So that is my list!

message 42: by Denise (new)

Denise (dulcinea3) | 307 comments Hayley wrote: "After seeing it mentioned a few times here I looked up Once Upon A Time... and now I REALLY can't wait for it to start showing over here... darn you all (in the nicest possible way ;P)!! I shall no..."

Robert Carlyle is fantastic in it! He plays a very evil Rumpelstiltskin in the fairy tale world (although they also made Rumpelstiltskin the Beast in the Beauty and the Beast storyline, and he showed some good qualities temporarily in that), and his Mr. Gold in the real world is a very mysterious character who wields a lot of control over the town.

message 43: by Jessica (new)

Hayley wrote: "After seeing it mentioned a few times here I looked up Once Upon A Time... and now I REALLY can't wait for it to start showing over here... darn you all (in the nicest possible way ;P)!! I shall no..."

Ha ha and while you're waiting for once upon a time, I'll be impatiently waiting for Downton Abbey! Robert Carlyle is by far my favorite actor in the show. I hadn't seen him until now and he's awesome!

message 44: by Denise (new)

Denise (dulcinea3) | 307 comments Jessica wrote: "Robert Carlyle is by far my favorite actor in the show. I hadn't seen him until now and he's awesome!"

Jessica, have you ever seen The Full Monty?

message 45: by Jessica (new)

Denise, Nope :)

message 46: by Denise (new)

Denise (dulcinea3) | 307 comments Well, maybe now that you are a Carlyle fan, you might give it a try - it is very funny!

message 47: by Kelly (new)

Kelly Denise wrote: "Jessica, have you ever seen The Full Monty?"

Love that movie ...

message 48: by Alicia (new)

Alicia (soitgoes815) I have a very long list of tv shows I watch. I've always preferred tv to movies. It's strange - I can easily make my way through multiple seasons of a show, but I do not have the patience to sit through a two hour movie. It feels like such a monumental investment of time that even when I think a movie looks amazing I put off watching it. I suppose it's because a tv series comes in bite-size chunks no matter long it is overall. I can watch one episode or ten, I'm always at a good place to set it aside for however long I'd like.

Right now, I'd say my favorite show is Doctor Who. I put off watching it forever because I thought the first episode (2005) was ridiculously silly. But at the behest of a friend I gave it another shot and now I'm addicted. I'm just one episode away from finishing season two.

I'm also making my way through Fringe and the X-Files, but both those are way more slow-going (even though I think they're both pretty awesome)

message 49: by Hayley (new)

Denise wrote: "Robert Carlyle is fantastic in it! He plays a very evil Rumpelstiltskin in the fairy tale world (although they also made Rumpelstiltskin the Beast in the Beauty and the Beast storyline, and he showed some good qualities temporarily in that), and his Mr. Gold in the real world is a very mysterious character who wields a lot of control over the town. "

I've seen pics of him - but I've been doing my best not to read too much about it (as I normally do about TV Shows I'm waiting for) and spoiling it for myself. I did watch the first series of SG:U and really liked him in that - he does these sort of 'flawed but there's something ok underneath' characters really well :D 16 days to go ;)

@Jessica: Never been a big Downton Abbey fan but my family love it, probably just me then ;P

message 50: by Haven Angel (new)

Haven Angel | 14 comments hmm for favorit shows that i like to watch well i have alot
castle
happy endings
how i met your mother
the river
Heartland
King
Endgame
and a whole bunch of others

« previous 1