The Dusty Bookshelf discussion

For Fun > Movies

Comments Showing 1-50 of 57 (57 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Jessica (new)

Jessica (Books: A true story) (booksatruestory) | 490 comments Mod
Seen any good movies lately? What are your favorite movies?

message 2: by Denise (new)

Denise (dulcinea3) | 307 comments My alltime favorite movie is The Wizard of Oz!

message 3: by Ruth Wilson (new)

Ruth Wilson | 87 comments That's an impossible question. I'm with Chimney - "The Princess Bride" is up on the top of that very crowded list. My favorite movie this year (2011) was "Drive."

I am an old movie fan, constantly filling my DVR with films from Turner Classic Movies. My favorite director is Alfred Hitchcock, but I also love "Charade," "Casablanca," "Gone with the Wind," "Star Wars" (especially "Empire"), "Lord of the Rings," "Bringing Up Baby," "Ben Hur" and "Now, Voyager." I've been on a Bette Davis kick for the last year or so, trying to catch all of her films, but there are so many!

message 4: by Jessica (new)

Ruth wrote: "That's an impossible question. I'm with Chimney - "The Princess Bride" is up on the top of that very crowded list. My favorite movie this year (2011) was "Drive."

I am an old movie fan, constantl..."

Awesome movies! I love Gone with the Wind and Star Wars!! And Lord of the Rings!! :) I think Return of the Jedi is my favorite.

message 5: by Hayley (new)

Hayley Stewart (haybop) | 491 comments Mod
I will watch Eastern Promises, Big Trouble In Little China, The Breakfast Club, House of 1000 Corpses & The Devil's Rejects time & time again - decent range of favourite films there I think ;)

Last film I watched was Drive - it wasn't bad tbh, the ending annoyed me tho' ;D

message 6: by Ruth Wilson (last edited Feb 24, 2012 10:04AM) (new)

Ruth Wilson | 87 comments Hayley wrote: "I will watch Eastern Promises, Big Trouble In Little China, The Breakfast Club, House of 1000 Corpses & The Devil's Rejects time & time again - decent range of favourite films there I think ;)

Las..."

"Drive" was a divisive film, so I'm not surprised by the blah response by some people. I was completely taken in by it. I have it to watch with my husband tonight. I have more than a little trepidation anticipating his feelings about it. It's a little like my fear that he wouldn't like Watership Down.

message 7: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (mornnglemon) | 42 comments Hayley wrote: "I will watch Eastern Promises, Big Trouble In Little China, The Breakfast Club, House of 1000 Corpses & The Devil's Rejects time & time again - decent range of favourite films there I think ;)

Las..."

I love House of 1000 Corpses and The Devil's Rejects! I have never seen anyone declare those two as favorite movies. I also really like Apocalypse Now, the original not Redux.

message 8: by Rachael (new)

Rachael | 13 comments I Love action films and comedy films. Put them both together and I'm happy. Went to the cinemas on Saturday and Watched 'Woman in Black' to be fair I wasn't all impressed. It started slow, and to be honest the scary bits really did make me jump but it just didn't have an ending. Or not one that I was happy with any way. I'm not hard to please when it comes to movies but it takes an amazing film to keep it in mind, if not I just forget them.

message 9: by Hayley (new)

Ruth wrote: "Hayley wrote: "I will watch Eastern Promises, Big Trouble In Little China, The Breakfast Club, House of 1000 Corpses & The Devil's Rejects time & time again - decent range of favourite films there ..."

It's a great film but the problem was (view spoiler) so I love it but it was just too much in one weekend!

message 10: by Hayley (new)

Jennifer wrote: "I love House of 1000 Corpses and The Devil's Rejects! I have never seen anyone declare those two as favorite movies. I also really like Apocalypse Now, the original not Redux."

Those 2 have permanent place next to my DVD player (in fact Rejects is still in it from last viewing) along with Hills Have Eyes 1 & 2 - I'm planning on my next treat to myself being the Resident Evil boxset - only seen the first one. Apocalypse Now is on my to watch list!

@Rachael - I've not yet seen the new Woman In Black but the original was scary for me - and I like scary :D How was Daniel Radcliffe in it though?

message 11: by Denise (new)

Denise (dulcinea3) | 307 comments Ruth wrote: "I am an old movie fan, constantly filling my DVR with films from Turner Classic Movies. My favorite director is Alfred Hitchcock, but I also love "Charade," "Casablanca," "Gone with the Wind," "Star Wars" (especially "Empire"), "Lord of the Rings," "Bringing Up Baby," "Ben Hur" and "Now, Voyager." I've been on a Bette Davis kick for the last year or so, trying to catch all of her films, but there are so many! "

I love old movies, too. I actually have almost all of Hitchcock's movies, mostly on DVD (but To Catch a Thief is still on VHS), even a lot of the silent films he started with. I'm missing a few of the very early British ones, but I think the only American one I don't have yet is The Paradine Case, which is not a particular favorite of mine, anyway.

Bette Davis and Greta Garbo are my two favorite female old Hollywood movie stars; Cary Grant my favorite male. I have lots of their movies. My favorite Davis movie is The Great Lie, but Now, Voyager is probably my second favorite. Other Davis favorites are All This and Heaven, Too, and The Corn Grows Green.

A lot of other great movies have been mentioned in this thread, too!

message 12: by Vanessa (new)

Vanessa (voorhees) I haven't been out too the movies lately.
The last movie was Breaking Dawn..and it was so-so.

I recently rented 50/50 and I thought it was pretty good.

message 13: by Daleen (new)

Daleen Berry I have been ill, so have seen a ton of movies lately. (Doctor's orders: rest = movie, right?)

Among them are: Hugo (wonderful, very magical); One for the Money (so-so, but not nearly as good as Evanovich's book); This Means War (don't waste your time); Extremely Loud (if the child actor doesn't win Best Actor, I'll be surprised.); Big Miracle (not bad); The Vow (Sweetly romantic) and finally, The Artist.

The Artist will most likely sweep most, if not all, the Oscars; it's brilliant.

message 14: by Chris (new)

Chris Lim (clim) | 1 comments I like Moneyball and I am looking forward to The Dark Knight Rises

message 15: by Jessica (new)

I don't even like sports movies, and I loved Moneyball. It was different and entertaining. I don't like most sports movies because they are so predictable and they all seem to have the same story line - look, the underdog wins! But Moneyball was awesomely different. It totally sucked me in. I want to read the book now.

message 16: by Thalia (new)

Thalia (thaliaanderson) | 359 comments I think the ones that have to go on my all-time best list are the Lord of the Rings movies, the 2004 Phantom of the Opera, "A Knight's Tale" and...we'll go with Aladdin. And all classic Disney movies, of course. (:

I really like mostly any type of movie, except documentaries, hahah. I love all the superhero movies (though I'll admit I'm not excited for the new Spiderman...I can't handle just "throwing out" the previous three!), I love action-y movies, I love romantic comedies, I love ANYTHING. (:

ஐ Briansgirl (Book Queen)ஐ (briansgirlkate) Anyone else going to watch The Academy Awards this sunday night? I'm happy to see Billy Crystal will be hosting again.

message 18: by Eric (new)

Eric | 12 comments Hi Ruth - I am a big Bette Davis fan too. So many films to see (and some are great to miss)! I had the privilige of meeting her in person during the last year of her life. It was at a book signing on Hollywood Blvd for her last book in rebuttal to her daughter's brutal book. It was like a movie premier and she loved it. Arrived in limo, line snaking down the Blvd. She was all in black with a black veil and they were playing music from Now Voyager. She was signing mechanically, but I had brought along a silver pen for her to use on mine. But of course, it wouldn't work! She looked up at me and said, " I tried, it won't write" in her Betty Davis style voice. So I have my own classic Betty Davis line to remember for all time now!

message 19: by Rachael (new)

Rachael | 13 comments 'A Little Princess' is one of my all time favourites. It is fantastic. And with that so is 'The Secret Garden' and also 'Goodnight Mister Tom' that's another heart wrencher. All my child hood faves!
They are coming back to me now, I forget them so easily.

message 20: by Denise (new)

Denise (dulcinea3) | 307 comments Eric wrote: "Hi Ruth - I am a big Bette Davis fan too. So many films to see (and some are great to miss)! I had the privilige of meeting her in person during the last year of her life. It was at a book signi..."

What an exciting story, Eric! I'm so jealous!

message 21: by Denise (new)

Denise (dulcinea3) | 307 comments Chimney wrote: "I was in the bookstore the other night when I saw A Little Princess by Frances Hodgson Burnett and had a nagging feeling that I had either seen a movie based off the book or when that was at least ..."

There is a more recent version, but my absolute favorite Shirley Temple movie is The Little Princess! (and yes, they changed 'A' to 'The')

message 22: by Kelly (new)

Kelly vasquez Barrett (crazy4reading) Gone with the wind is my all time favorite(book was also good) but I also love Little women Andy Hardy Judy Garland movies Kathrine Hepburn and Harry Potter. I also go to a lot of movies with my grandson We are lucky enough to have a drive in 10 minutes away!!!

message 23: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth (fictionandeverythingelse) "Brick" is my favorite movie. A little over-cliched in places, but I love the neo-noir feel.

message 24: by Eric (new)

Eric | 12 comments I am getting duplicates of everything from Goodreads and associated e mails. Help! Thanks, Eric

message 25: by Missy (new)

Missy (LittleMissMissy) | 19 comments Just watched Dolphin Tale, and Rango. Loved both.

"I think the metaphor just broke my spleen."-Rango

message 26: by Eric (new)

Eric | 12 comments Denise wrote: "Eric wrote: "Hi Ruth - I am a big Bette Davis fan too. So many films to see (and some are great to miss)! I had the privilige of meeting her in person during the last year of her life. It was at..."

Yes, it was one of those once in a lifetime things that can not be duplicated because most of the greats are long gone! Having those "Bette Davis eyes" look at you personally was amazing!

message 27: by Beth (new)

Beth (beth_jones8) i really love the Sherlock Holmes movies. But i love Inception, Across the Universe and Bridge to Teribithia. Ghost is an amazing movie too

message 28: by Kelly (new)

Kelly Ruth wrote: "That's an impossible question. I'm with Chimney - "The Princess Bride" is up on the top of that very crowded list. My favorite movie this year (2011) was "Drive."

I am an old movie fan, constantl..."

Bringing Up Baby hooked me on the classics! "Don't worry David, when they find out who I am, they'll let us out." "When they find out who you are they'll pad the cell!" Doesn't get much better than that movie ...

message 29: by Kelly (new)

Kelly Chimney wrote: "My favorite movie is The Princess Bride. I heard that there is plans to make a new one and I don't think I am on board with that, but I guess I will see how it is when it comes out. My favorite ani..."

Did you see The Secret World of Arriety? If so, what did you think of it? We saw it the weekend it came out (2 weeks ago?), husband and I took our 2 little girls. One of their favorite movies is Howl's Moving Castle so we were very excited to finally see a Studio Ghibli on the big screen. We all thought it was great!

message 30: by Ruth Wilson (new)

Ruth Wilson | 87 comments Eric wrote: "Hi Ruth - I am a big Bette Davis fan too. So many films to see (and some are great to miss)! I had the privilige of meeting her in person during the last year of her life. It was at a book signi..."

That is so fabulous!

message 31: by Ruth Wilson (new)

Ruth Wilson | 87 comments Denise wrote: "Chimney wrote: "I was in the bookstore the other night when I saw A Little Princess by Frances Hodgson Burnett and had a nagging feeling that I had either seen a movie based off the book or when th..."

Yup, what she said. LOL I just started reading "A Little Princess" to my five-year-old daughter last night. I don't know if it will last. She fell asleep while I was reading.

message 32: by Thalia (new)

Thalia (thaliaanderson) | 359 comments Whaaaa, I just went to the theatre and saw the "Love Never Dies" filmed version. It's the sequel to Phantom of the Opera that Webber wrote, ad ke rnjywevnj mhwejn, my heart has just died and it will never be recovered EVER AGAIN.

Ahhhhhhhh...*falls over*

message 33: by Ruth Wilson (new)

Ruth Wilson | 87 comments Thalia wrote: "Whaaaa, I just went to the theatre and saw the "Love Never Dies" filmed version. It's the sequel to Phantom of the Opera that Webber wrote, ad ke rnjywevnj mhwejn, my heart has just died and it wil..."

Haha! Is that a good thing, or a bad thing?

message 34: by Thalia (new)

Thalia (thaliaanderson) | 359 comments It was so BEAUTIFUL, but it made me feel like the last twelve years was a waste because it ended everything. OTL. Alas, Phantom will never, ever have a happy ending. :[

And another part of me felt like it was just like...a bad soap opera with Phantom characters. I prefer to think of it as a nice add-on, but not as legitimate continuation of the story, you know? Mostly because I reject the ending with everything in my being, and I left the theatre sobbing and yeahhhhhh.

message 35: by Liz (new)

Liz (hissheep) Watched THE HELP the night before the Oscar telecast (so I could say I had at least seen one nominated film) ... it was very close to the book and just as moving. Still glad I try to "read" before "watching" a book that has been turned into a film. ;o)

message 36: by Carolyn (new)

Carolyn | 4 comments My all time favorite romance movie is Somewhere In Time with Christopher Reeve and Jane Seymour.
My favorite comedy is The Long Long Trailer with Lucille Ball and Desi Arnaz.
For more recent movies I loved Facing The Giants and Fireproof.
I look forward to seeing Courageous. I have not been to the theater since Steel Magnolias. We have no theater in the nearest town to me. I wait for them to come out on DVD.

message 37: by Hayley (last edited Mar 04, 2012 09:29PM) (new)

Thalia wrote: "It was so BEAUTIFUL, but it made me feel like the last twelve years was a waste because it ended everything. OTL. Alas, Phantom will never, ever have a happy ending. :[

And another part of me felt..."

Oh dear, I was considering whether that was something I wanted to see or not... now I think I'll stick with my own imaginings of how the ending should be - probably a lot happier by the sound of it ;)

message 38: by Book Concierge (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) Carolyn wrote: "My all time favorite romance movie is Somewhere In Time with Christopher Reeve and Jane Seymour..."

Love, love, LOVE that movie!

message 39: by Hayley (new)

My Resident Evil films are in the post - can't wait :D Now if only my sister wasn't such a wuss with scary films, I'd be able to watch them with her this weekend :S

message 40: by Thalia (new)

Thalia (thaliaanderson) | 359 comments Hayley, it was so worth seeing! I mean, it feels like Broadway fanfiction, to be perfectly honest, but if you're a "phan", like I am, you'll appreciate it all the same--just pretend like the ending of the movie happened instead and you should be alright. XD

message 41: by Alicia (new)

Alicia (soitgoes815) Has anyone here seen The Avengers yet? I saw it Saturday night and loved it! It's pretty amazing that marvel studios managed to tie that many movies into a crossover.

message 42: by Hayley (new)

Alicia I'm so jealous!! I've been waiting to see it since the 27th but have no one who wants to go with me :( It may be a 'wait for the DVD' scenario which is annoying!

message 43: by Jessica (new)

I totally want to see the Snow White movie with Kristen Stewart. I'm not the biggest fan of Stewart's acting, but the movie looks really cool. Anyone else going to see it? It comes out June 1....oh that's actually a ways away. Still excited though! :)

message 44: by Razmatus (new)

Razmatus | 89 comments just bought Gladiator DVD finally... one of my fav movies <3

message 45: by Rachael (new)

Rachael | 13 comments Yeah I'd like to see snow white! And can't wait to see The Avengers!!

message 46: by Razmatus (new)

Razmatus | 89 comments Rachael wrote: "Yeah I'd like to see snow white! And can't wait to see The Avengers!!"

I wont watch Avengers until I get to watch both Thor and Captain America

message 47: by Lena (new)

Lena English | 2 comments Jessica wrote: "I totally want to see the Snow White movie with Kristen Stewart. I'm not the biggest fan of Stewart's acting, but the movie looks really cool. Anyone else going to see it? It comes out June 1......."

Yes! Snow White and the Huntsman looks awesome. And I agree, Stewart is like a 5 out of 10 for me, but Chris Hemsworth is like a 15 out of 10, so that makes up the difference. Very excited!

message 48: by Rachael (new)

Rachael | 13 comments I've seen both Thor and Captain America, definately both worth watching!

message 49: by Jamey (new)

Jamey | 3 comments Weekend at Bernie's 2. No wait, mannequin 2. No wait..... Oh well, so many great movies I can't decide.

message 50: by Jamey (new)

Jamey | 3 comments Chimney wrote: "Weekend at Bernie's is the one with the dead guy that moves to the music, right? If so, I love that movie."

Yeah I was playing around. The first one was good. The second not so much.

« previous 1