The Dusty Bookshelf discussion

For Fun > Video Games

Comments Showing 1-50 of 52 (52 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Jessica (new)

Jessica (Books: A true story) (booksatruestory) | 490 comments Mod
A lot of you in this group are gamers. Feel free to discuss! :)

message 2: by Veritas (new)

Veritas (umbra_veritatis) | 17 comments Just gt kinnect loving fruit ninja and the basic game it comes with great with flat m8's anyone else gt one?

message 3: by Denise (new)

Denise (dulcinea3) | 307 comments The only game I have is a PC game, The Sims. It's the original one, and I have all the extension packs for it.

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

Lol I recently got a friend addicted to Sims lol. I remember playing like 7 to 10 hours straight with only a couple of bathroom breaks... lol! I don't remember if I ate or not that day.

ஐ Briansgirl (Book Queen)ஐ (briansgirlkate) I used to play SIMS but it takes up so much memory in the computer while playing. Might play it more if I had SIMS Medieval, but not going to pay for it just yet. At the moment, the only game I play is on FB, Castleville. Not entirely true, I do play Hoyle Board Games.

message 6: by Denise (new)

Denise (dulcinea3) | 307 comments Yes, The Sims can be very addictive! Sims Medieval does look really good, and I did consider getting it when it came out, but decided I didn't need another addiction!

ஐ Briansgirl (Book Queen)ஐ (briansgirlkate) For nearly 15 years I did medieval re-enactments, so you can understand the allure of Sims Medieval for me then. :)

message 8: by Elaine (new)

Elaine (lanybum) Chimney my husband has Skyrim. Seems to love it but looks like it takes forever loading between screen and a bit glitchy in places. This is on XBox.

message 9: by Jessica (new)

I need some game recs for my PS3. I like playing RPG type games - Zelda for example - that involve a lot of puzzles and strategy. I don't like rated M games. I want just one game to play on my new PS3 :)

message 10: by Dalynn (new)

Dalynn (dalynnrmc) WAIT! The Sims has a medieval game out?? I'm totally going to get that!!! err... for my... son's 13th birthday next month... ;)

We have a Wii and enjoy PC games also. I'm an RPG player also. :) Not much of one for war games, and I also don't do M ratings.

I play Lord of the Rings online, though my play has been sparse of late.

One of these days I'm going to play all of the Final Fantasy games, as well as work my way through the Zelda series.

I consider myself a casual gamer, though I don't always have the chance to prove it. LOL

message 11: by Denise (new)

Denise (dulcinea3) | 307 comments The Elder Scrolls was recommended to me once. Is anyone familiar with that one, and what do you think of it?

message 12: by Razmatus (new)

Razmatus | 89 comments I thoroughly enjoyed Morrowind, Oblivion and I was very content with Skyrim as well

my fav games:
Legacy of Kain series, Gothic series, Wizardry VIII, Baldur's Gate II (as far as I got), Dragon Age, Blade of Darkness, Prince of Persia: Sands of time trilogy, Darksiders etc

so mostly RPG/adventures and that epic sort...

message 13: by Denise (new)

Denise (dulcinea3) | 307 comments Razmatus wrote: "I thoroughly enjoyed Morrowind, Oblivion and I was very content with Skyrim as well"

Thanks, Rasmatus! I hadn't heard of Skyrim, but they told me that they preferred Morrowind to Oblivion.

message 14: by Razmatus (new)

Razmatus | 89 comments Morrowind was huge, with elven culture prevalent, epic and dark, havent checked out the expansions properly I gotta admit

Oblivionw as awesome in its own right as well, more shiny and more human and medieval, but i still liked it despite some of its awkwardities... and the arena sequences were awesome lol

Skyrim is well... northern and cold, and has dragons... the thrill of dragonslaying is great, even though those dragons arent especially tough sometimes... but it has its atmosphere that is intoxicating in a good way

I thoroughly recommend Legacy of Kain series (of which I havent played only Blood Omen, chiefly cos the CD is too tough to get and cracked one doesnt work for me), even though the camera is real bad... the story is one of best I have ever had a chance to play

then i recommend Prince of Persia: Sands of time trilogy (Sands of time, Warrior within and Two thrones; not counting Forgotten sands as it is a bridge between first two and i havent played it, yet) not only for the settings, or the thrill of chase (in WW, you being chased by a near immortal thingie), but chiefly for the story - though you got to play all three, cos it is Two thrones that gives the whole trilogy's story its real meaning

Wizardry VIII has just awesome story and gameplay, if you can overlook the ugly graphics

and well, Dragon Age (havent played DA 2 yet) is just epic, even though the story might seem as just another cliche fantasy at first... what makes the difference there is not only the immersion into the lore, but also the choices... and man, the final battle, thats something to remember

so yea if you want some recommendations on good RPGs/adventure games (although i mostly play action adventures), i can give you some more besides these :)

ஐ Briansgirl (Book Queen)ஐ (briansgirlkate) Denise wrote: "The Elder Scrolls was recommended to me once. Is anyone familiar with that one, and what do you think of it?"

I liked it. It was an adventure game. But mine is so old that I can't play it anymore on the newer computers.

message 16: by Razmatus (new)

Razmatus | 89 comments recently resumed my Dragon Age - Awakening saves, and started my oh i dont even know how many-th replay of Sands of time trilogy :)

message 17: by Jessica (new)

Chimney wrote: "Jessica wrote: "I need some game recs for my PS3. I like playing RPG type games - Zelda for example - that involve a lot of puzzles and strategy. I don't like rated M games. I want just one game ..."

Oh. My. Gosh. Best game rec ever!! I'm an ex-music major and I remember hearing about this one. It has Chopin and dragons. How could you not love it. Thank you thank you :D

message 18: by Sean (new)

Sean A (seanrok) | 1 comments Razmatus, you're so right about Legacy of Kain. Lotta fun with that series.

message 19: by Razmatus (new)

Razmatus | 89 comments Every coin has two sides, but if you throw it enough times, it may yet land on its edge...

that a paraphrase of a quote said by Kain that I remember still :)

message 20: by Dalynn (new)

Dalynn (dalynnrmc) Jessica - I'm an ex-music major too. ;)

message 21: by Jessica (new)

Dalynn-That's so cool! what instrument did you play? I was piano.

message 22: by Veritas (new)

Veritas (umbra_veritatis) | 17 comments Razmatus great list of games I play the same ones just finished a play from Dragon age O-A-witch hunt-2 loves it

Skyrim was just before that loved the environment stealth options but just running across the forests and mountains at night In wolf form is relaxing until I accidentally fall into one of those bandit camps.

Currently playing more kinect games like UFC trainer(gift) till i drop

I mostly play PS3 nd Xbox thinking bout trying of gaming any tips for a 1st game?

message 23: by Dalynn (new)

Dalynn (dalynnrmc) Melodic (mostly) percussion. ;)

message 24: by Razmatus (new)

Razmatus | 89 comments God of war collection lol

anyways Skyrim is awesome, and I became especially fond of smithing :)

message 25: by Alicia (new)

Alicia (soitgoes815) The last game I beat was Mass Effect 3 - which had an ending that was so disappointing I can't bring myself to replay it or any entries in the trilogy. I played through ME2 five times so that should give you some perspective into just how disappointing the conclusion was.

Before that I clocked in an ungodly number of hours into Skyrim, which was awesome. I had plenty of bug/glitch issues though, which got frustrating.

Right now I'm playing through Assassin's Creed: Revelations. So far I like it, but I'm barely an hour into it at this point. I loved the other two games though and AC doesn't seem to switch up its formula too much (both a pro and a con) so I think I'll like it. The storyline is what has me completely addicted so I'm willing to forgive the sometimes repetitious gameplay.

message 26: by Razmatus (new)

Razmatus | 89 comments I plan to check on AC games and the more recent PoP games as well... Dragon Age was awesome as well and I'm still clawing my way through Awakening :P

message 27: by Alicia (new)

Alicia (soitgoes815) Razmatus wrote: "I plan to check on AC games and the more recent PoP games as well... Dragon Age was awesome as well and I'm still clawing my way through Awakening :P"

PoP as in Prince of Persia? I loved the 2008 game, but I feel like I'm totally alone in that opinion, lol. I've been meaning to pick up the remastered trilogy but just haven't gotten around to it. With Dragon Age - Make sure you keep all your save files if you plan on playing DA2 because you can import your files. It doesn't effect too much in the game, but there are some different scenes/dialogue changes.

message 28: by Razmatus (new)

Razmatus | 89 comments yep... I only played the trilogy... and I think that only if you play the whole trilogy in sequence, you really get the meaning of the story it portrays... I havent yet played the 2008 PoP, but I mean to, I loved the vids :P

message 29: by Elvin (new)

Elvin (elvinpriyadi) | 20 comments anybody playing Blizzard's game? Warcraft (not WoW, but WC 3 and Frozen Throne), or Starcraft? the newest Diablo is almost out.

or Fighting game, like Soul Calibur 4? I wanted to buy it, because there is Yoda in it :D, but SC 5 is out already ... any experience, anyone?

@Chimney, they remake ICO for PS3? haven't they got enough game in the pool? first God of Wars series, now ICO ...

message 30: by Razmatus (new)

Razmatus | 89 comments I plan on getting Diablo 3 when it comes out :)

message 31: by Alicia (new)

Alicia (soitgoes815) I really want to play Diablo 3 too, but my old laptop won't be able to handle it. I heard Blizzard is working on bringing it to consoles though, so that makes me happy. I'll probably have to wait an extra 6 months or something for it, but I'll take what I can get.

message 32: by Razmatus (new)

Razmatus | 89 comments at least some game that isnt made for consoles first :D

message 33: by Elvin (new)

Elvin (elvinpriyadi) | 20 comments @Chimney, I have to confess, I never really played Zelda *hiding in the corner of shame*. But, I played some JRPG. Doing FFX-2 now (yes, i know quite late :D) and Kingdom Hearts 2. Hoping for KH3 ...

Review when diablo is out, please! :D The demon hunter profession looks uber cool

message 34: by Kelly (new)

Kelly Chimney wrote: "Jessica wrote: "I need some game recs for my PS3. I like playing RPG type games - Zelda for example - that involve a lot of puzzles and strategy. I don't like rated M games. I want just one game ..."

I played Eternal Sonata for the 360, it was excellent.

My fave games on the 360 are Lost Odyssey, Fable trilogy, and Jet Set Radio Future (this was just for the regular xbox but I love it so much I still play it on the new system). We have all 3 consoles but really only play the 360. I also have Sims Medieval, which I like, but haven't had much of a chance to delve into it yet.

message 35: by Alicia (new)

Alicia (soitgoes815) If you're looking for puzzle and strategy games you should give the Portal series a try. Both of them are fantastic, they've got great puzzles and a fun storyline.

message 36: by Razmatus (new)

Razmatus | 89 comments Portal is downright hilarious, companion cube <3

havent yet gotten to Portal 2 :/

message 37: by Alicia (last edited Mar 21, 2012 09:56AM) (new)

Alicia (soitgoes815) Portal 2 is just as awesome as the first game. To be completely honest, I like the second game better! The story has a lot more meat to it, and is still completely hysterical

message 38: by Razmatus (new)

Razmatus | 89 comments I want the original but it is still way too costy :(

message 39: by M0rningstar (last edited Mar 21, 2012 08:51PM) (new)

M0rningstar Portal 1 and 2 are great. The goopy stuff is so much fun to play with.

I game exclusively on PC. Finished Alan Wake yesterday, in fact. It was not bad, but mostly just made me super nostalgic for Max Payne, which ties with Mass Effect for the "best game ever" award in my mind. Speaking of which, I really should do a new playthrough of ME2 with all the DLCs in place to have a solid savegame for ME3...

Before that, I finished Saints Row 3. Utterly outrageous. Loved, loved it. Also loved Saints Row 2. This series is much more enjoyable than the recent offerings from GTA.

PoP 1 and 2 were very cool. The puzzles were well put together. The character animation was nice and the fights were a treat to watch. The story was pretty good as well. I find them to be similar to Assassins Creed in look and feel. Of course, AC's plot is much darker. Looking forward to Assassins Creed 3.

The Sims was neat when it first came out, but the routine got boring pretty quickly. Instead of playing it straight, it was more fun to build doorless rooms or other weird situations to see how the AI would react. I have the new version and a bunch of expansion packs installed, but don't play it much since it runs like molasses on my setup.

Very excited that a new Hitman is coming out this year. 47 is fantabulous. The mechanics in this series were buggy in the first installments but were fine afterward. Solid script, awesome characters, great level design--what's not to like?

Also plan on playing LA Noire, now that it's out on PC. Hopefully, it'll tide me over with a good dose of crime & punishment in the early-mid 20th century until Mafia 3 comes out.

LOL, gotta go find some time to read.

message 40: by Razmatus (new)

Razmatus | 89 comments PoP series came a little before AC hit the market I think... didnt check those out yet...

I would love to still play GTA:SA, but on my Win 7 x64 Home Premium it lags as hell even though this compy should run it on full detail and all :(

right now I re-play the PoP: SoT trilogy and at times I turn on Dragon Age Awakening... and at times I pop into Skyrim, although not so often, since after the latest reinstall my compy isnt as fast as it used to be :/

but yea im mostly rpg man :)

message 41: by Razmatus (new)

Razmatus | 89 comments it was in Max Payne games and... well, check out XIII, awesome stuff :P

message 42: by Sara (new)

Sara (kadin) I've only had my xbox for about 6 months. A friend of mine let me play Portal 2 on his for hours and I was hooked. Ahh the goopy stuff. I loved those levels and the dialogue was too funny.
Right now, I'm playing LA Noire but it is moving pretty slow for me. I play for awhile and then go to another game and then come back. I like the premise, but I'm horrible at driving the car and only so-so at telling when people are lying to me. I just want to trust them.
I've decided instead of jumping into the middle of existing series, I'm going to play oldest to newest. So far, I've really liked Assassin's Creed, Dragon Age, and the Lego series. Dragon Age really sucked me in. I had to replay a large chunk due to bad timing on my saves and I still enjoyed it.
My newest acquisition is James Bond Quantum of Solace. Back in college, I really enjoyed playing Bond with my friends on the game cube. I'm hoping this one will be fun too.

message 43: by Razmatus (last edited Mar 27, 2012 04:00AM) (new)

Razmatus | 89 comments heh Dragon Age... still not had enough time to finish off Awakening... but at some point I wanna try and replay the game without Shale, which might be a bit harder than with her :/

message 44: by Elvin (new)

Elvin (elvinpriyadi) | 20 comments Chimney wrote: "@Elvin - Kingdom Hearts 2 was a good game, but it's taking forever for 3 to come out! I wasn't a huge fan of FFX so I only played the short demo for X-2 and though I liked the it better, as it minu..."

Tidus is quite something, eh? well, i don't think you'll be missing much in terms of story. I also don't play FFX.

@Sara, which Lego series you are playing?

message 45: by Sara (new)

Sara (kadin) Elvin wrote: "@Sara, which Lego series you are playing? "

I started with StarWars on my computer then when I got my xBox I played Indiana Jones and Batman.

I found Batman to be pretty easy. Maybe my coordination has improved or it was just easy. I'm not sure.

message 46: by Kelly (new)

Kelly Bostic (Bookworm4388) | 18 comments Denise wrote: "The only game I have is a PC game, The Sims. It's the original one, and I have all the extension packs for it."

Denise I love the sims!!! I have all the original sims and expansions. I also have the sims 2 and all its expansions and I have the sims3 and just got the newest expansion of it Showtime!!

message 47: by Kelly (new)

Kelly Bostic (Bookworm4388) | 18 comments Chimney wrote: "I have the Sims Medieval, but I am not really feeling it. It could be do to the fact I have only played the original Sims, I believe it was, very briefly and never got to attached to the style of g..."

I have sims medieval as well and I am not that into it either as much as a sim fanatic as I am it just isnt the same as the other games. I think it is cool how they have the little quests that you have to do to improve your kingdom but I really think they should have given the players more free reign than they did.

message 48: by Kelly (new)

Kelly Bostic (Bookworm4388) | 18 comments I just got Tales Of The Abyss for the 3DS for Easter and so far it is a pretty interesting game. love the fully voiced cutscenes.

message 49: by Kelly (new)

Kelly Bostic (Bookworm4388) | 18 comments yeah I have not had enough time to really sit down and play my new games either hoping a will have more time soon

message 50: by Sydney Rae (new)

Sydney Rae They are coming out with a video game for South Park, and it looks awesome!!!!!!!!

« previous 1