Valar Morghulis--Valar Dohaeris discussion

GRRroup RReads > March GRRoup Read Nominations

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Chris , The Kingslayer (last edited Feb 23, 2012 10:59AM) (new)

Chris  (haughtc) | 903 comments For this next month, we've got an idea to throw out there:

Nominate a book you'd recommend to a GRRM fan that's wanting something to tide them over until The Winds of Winter.

Now, this could really be anything. But keep in mind that the recommendation is for someone that presumably loves ASOIAF and wants something else they'd like. It doesn't have to be a book that is long enough to carry someone to TWOW's release. That would be cruel.

message 2: by Chris , The Kingslayer (new)

Chris  (haughtc) | 903 comments Heh..I actually thought of PSS when I typed that.

Briar King is just what I'm thinking of. I remember buying up that series because of the comparisons to ASOIAF while I was waiting on Dance. Good one.

message 3: by Dawn, GRRM hard or GRRM home (last edited Feb 24, 2012 07:42AM) (new)

Dawn (breakofdawn) | 182 comments Normally I'd refrain from nominating anything myself, but since we're not really overflowing with them I'll throw one out there.

Martin is definitely a top five favorite author of mine, probably even top three. Another favorite? Brandon Sanderson. Mistborn is sort of overdone as a group read, so I'll throw in another one by him. I'll go with one of his stand alones, Warbreaker. I loved it!

message 4: by Chris , The Kingslayer (new)

Chris  (haughtc) | 903 comments Ooo...nice.

message 6: by Dawn, GRRM hard or GRRM home (new)

Dawn (breakofdawn) | 182 comments Looks interesting, Jim. Care to share why you'd recommend it to someone who needs something to tide them over until The Winds of Winter?

message 7: by Jim (new)

Jim (jimmaclachlan) That probably would be helpful, wouldn't it?
;-)

It's an oldie, first published in the mid-70's, & is one of those other world books, where someone from our world falls into another. It's one of the better done ones, though. Medieval world with dragons & a true evil for our knight to fight. There's quite a bit of humor in it.

I haven't read it in ages & it's an old favorite. I was thinking of a re-read of it or The Warlock in Spite of Himself by Christopher Stasheff, which is similar in some ways, although it is set in the far future & he has a robot horse, but there are still knights, witches & an evil to fight.

message 8: by Becky (new)

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) The Way of Kings. THE WAY OF KIIIIINGS. Its epic. It's awesome. It's Brandon Sanderson. It's long. But it's not boring. And it's Brandon Sanderson.

message 9: by Chris , The Kingslayer (new)

Chris  (haughtc) | 903 comments I should probably do a last call for nominations. I meant to run this a little longer, but March is already upon us (Thursday!), so we need to get voting soon.

I'll put up a poll tonight, so if there are any last minute suggestions, now would be the time to call out.

message 10: by Chris , The Kingslayer (new)

Chris  (haughtc) | 903 comments Ok. Slacker-Chris has the poll up: http://www.goodreads.com/poll/show/62...

Sorry for that delay. I got caught up in the new episode of The Walking Dead, and forgot all about it. Heh...

I have it set to end Friday at midnight (PST) in the USA. That's a few days into March and people might need time to get the winner, but that's ok. We're not real formal here and it won't hurt to start a March read a bit late.

message 11: by Chris , The Kingslayer (new)

Chris  (haughtc) | 903 comments Wow. Last call for votes. The poll closes at midnight...

Thought I'd mention in, since we're locked in a Sanderson vs. Sanderson tie.

Now's your chance, if you'd like to vote but haven't yet. Maybe we can avoid a run-off poll if we can break this tie by midnight PST.

message 12: by [deleted user] (new)

Tie = broken.

message 13: by Chris , The Kingslayer (new)

Chris  (haughtc) | 903 comments Works for me...

message 14: by Becky (new)

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) Umm... Not so much for me. Because, well... I wanna read Warbreaker lots, but I have a bajillion books to read this month, and like... this makes a bajillion and one.

O_o

If The Way of Kings were to win, I could discuss...

message 15: by Chris , The Kingslayer (new)

Chris  (haughtc) | 903 comments Here's my deal. I also have a bajillion books. So a bagillion plus a heavy duty brick like TWoK would be immense. Still, I voted for it and I do want to read it soon.

Warbreaker I loved, but have already read. It's been awhile, so while I'll try to contribute to discussions, I'll be next to worthless.

So I'll keep my vote for TWoK. When I say "works for me", I mean in that if the tie is busted, I won't have to screw with setting up a run-off poll. Heh..

message 16: by Becky (new)

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) LOL

message 17: by Felina (new)

Felina Finally. Some kind of clarification.

message 18: by Chris , The Kingslayer (new)

Chris  (haughtc) | 903 comments So, we have a winner...

Warbreaker by Brandon Sanderson

message 19: by Becky (new)

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) *deep breath*

OK. You can do this, Becky. You can.

*shoves book into jam-packed March reading list*

There. *wipes brow*