Beyond Reality discussion

Members' Lounge > Science Fiction Reality

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Nick (last edited Feb 23, 2012 12:15PM) (new)

Nick (doily) | 966 comments Stefan once, eons ago, had to rein me in for getting off topic by talking about the supercollider in Europe in the middle of a discussion of one of Janny Wurts' books. Well, I'm bringing the topic back up, but I swear there is a science fiction connection.

The news of the day is that uber-physicists in Switzerland (supercollider types no doubt) have stumbled upon an error in their experimentation. Previously, their data had told them that neutrinos which they were testing were traveling faster than the speed of light. Well, before we get our Star-Trekian hopes up for Warp Drive Reality, the uber-scientists now say that their results were wrong. There was a glich in the connection between their stopwatch and their computer, and the neutrinos were most likely not going faster than the speed of light after all.

Sigh.

It's nice to know as I drag in five minutes late to work that even uber-physicists have trouble telling time.

message 2: by Jim (new)

Jim (jimmaclachlan) LOL! That's a shame. I was looking forward to warp speed.

message 3: by Helen (new)

Helen That's quite sweet.

message 4: by Ken (new)

Ken (ogi8745) | 1348 comments Not quite the clock. The rumors are about a faulty GPS connection. A loose fibreoptic cable and once tightened the time difference it took to travel the path was 60 nanoseconds. The exact time difference.

message 5: by Hélène (new)

Hélène (hlneb) | 89 comments I had so great hope of FTL cars of sort...