The Bookhouse Boys discussion

Listening to...

Comments Showing 1-50 of 133 (133 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Matt, I am the Great Went. (new)

Matt | 1517 comments Mod
here's the inevitable "what are you listening to?" thread. Tell us what music/podcast/noise you're listening to. I love to find out about an album, band, podcast I didn't know about before.

MUSIC: Jacob Balcom - So Long Everybody
Jacob is a good friend of mine and a listener to our show. I used to play in his band in the '00s. He recently recorded this solo album that's rife with folkiness, great textures, and elegant accompaniment and arrangements.
The kicker? He's giving this album away on Bandcamp! No donations or anything! Check it out: http://jacobbalcom.bandcamp.com/

PODCASTS: A Way with Words - I absolutely love this show. Imagine Car Talk but with the subject being the English language instead of automobiles.
Endlessly entertaining! http://www.waywordradio.org/

message 2: by Dave Alluisi, Evolution of the Arm (new)

Dave Alluisi | 1047 comments Mod
As usual, I'm listening to the screaming, metal-scraping-against-metal sound of my own thoughts. I also enjoy the new Roots album.

In podcasts, I never miss the Pod F. Tompkast. Paul F. Tompkins is a comic at the height of his powers. The show usually consists of a good 10-15 minutes of insanely creative rambling, a phone call with fellow comic Jen Kirkman, an ongoing "lost" film project in which Tompkins does brilliant character work for people as disparate as Ice-T, John Lithgow, John C. Reilly, and the Cake Boss; and a sketch taken from his ongoing live show.

message 3: by Jim (new)

Jim | 498 comments Dave wrote: "In podcasts, I never miss the Pod F. Tompkast."
Hell yes! My favorite comedy podcast! I so wish it came out more than once a month; the "Extrasodes" really don't scratch that PFT itch. His freeform ramblings between the set pieces are indeed genius.
And Dave didn't even mention Garry Marshall, Sir Andrew Lloyd Webber, or Mr. Brainwash.

You really should hear it for yourself.

I am so gay for Dave right now.

message 4: by Jim (new)

Jim | 498 comments Speaking of comedy, I've been listening to Lee Camp's Chaos for the Weary, which I'm in love with. A bit early to call him the next Hicks or Carlin (though George's daughter Kelly implies the point by introducing him on the album), but he's damn good.

And the Bonnaroo lineup came out last week, so I'll be seeking out samples from all of the many, many bands I'm unfamiliar with. This'll be my fifth straight year at the festival.

message 5: by Dave Alluisi, Evolution of the Arm (new)

Jim wrote: "I am so gay for Dave right now."

Hey. My eyes are up here, mister.

message 6: by Matt, I am the Great Went. (new)

Matt | 1517 comments Mod
I'm also listening to the Drive soundtrack. Yes, I'm obsessed with that movie.

message 7: by Dave Alluisi, Evolution of the Arm (new)

Matt wrote: "I'm also listening to the Drive soundtrack. Yes, I'm obsessed with that movie."

If you could have either a million dollars or Ryan Gosling's tongue in your butthole, which would you choose?

message 8: by Matt, I am the Great Went. (last edited Feb 24, 2012 10:29AM) (new)

Matt | 1517 comments Mod
Dave wrote: "Matt wrote: "I'm also listening to the Drive soundtrack. Yes, I'm obsessed with that movie."

If you could have either a million dollars or Ryan Gosling's tongue in your butthole, which would you c..."

DAY-VID! :S

It's Adam & Eve, not Matt & super-delicious nummy-nummy Ryan!

message 9: by Dave Alluisi, Evolution of the Arm (new)

There goes my hope of creating a new sex fetish craze called Goslingus. *harumph*

message 10: by Matt, I am the Great Went. (new)

Matt | 1517 comments Mod
Finally downloaded the newest They Might Be Giants album. I hadn't really listened to them since the '90s, but their educational children's DVD/CDs were a hit with the whole family and now we all listen to their whole catalog. Join Us is a solid record with some great production, if you have a bent towards catchy, quirky, geeky pop-rock. :^)

message 11: by Matt, I am the Great Went. (new)

Matt | 1517 comments Mod
This weekend, I did some catching up on This American Life. I saw the tweets from Ira Glass about the previous week's episode, "Retraction," and was impressed with how they handled the whole debacle. So, I listened to "Mr. Daisey and the Apple Factory" and then "Retraction".
I want Ira Glass for President!

message 12: by Robert (new)

Robert (vernson) | 592 comments Matt wrote: "This weekend, I did some catching up on This American Life. I saw the tweets from Ira Glass about the previous week's episode, "Retraction," and was impressed with how they handled the whole debacl..."

As I was listening to RETRACTION, I just wanted to slap this Daisey character. He just sat there with these long, long pauses and couldn't justifiably respond with any honest answers, I know TAL has a reputation to uphold, but their lack of emotion was just as frustrating to hear.

message 13: by Matt, I am the Great Went. (new)

Matt | 1517 comments Mod
Robert wrote: "Matt wrote: "This weekend, I did some catching up on This American Life. I saw the tweets from Ira Glass about the previous week's episode, "Retraction," and was impressed with how they handled the..."
Ira did say he wasn't in the mood to quote Tory Malatea that week. That's as close as he got to really emoting, I guess. ;)

message 14: by Jason, Walking Allergen (new)

Jason | 1166 comments Mod
My music player was unexpectedly dead as I set out on my recent 3 and a half hour train ride so, in desperation, I downloaded Pandora to my phone and listened to that. I haven't seen the data charges yet (*gulp*) but I did hear some new stuff, which was very welcome: Gillian Welch, Carolina Chocolate Drops, Portugal.The Man, Cold War Kids and more.

message 15: by Robert (new)

Robert (vernson) | 592 comments Matt wrote: "Robert wrote: "Matt wrote: "This weekend, I did some catching up on This American Life. I saw the tweets from Ira Glass about the previous week's episode, "Retraction," and was impressed with how t..."

I could hear a quiet resentment, and for Ira, that is harsh, I suppose. ;)

message 16: by Jim (new)

Jim | 498 comments The Head and the Heart - Melodic story-songs from Seattle-based combo. Heard them for the first time at Bonnaroo last year and I was quite moved.
And speaking of Bonnaroo, the missus and I are going again in two weeks. As I mentioned here months ago, I'm now checking out tracks by dozens of acts for the festival.

Side note: I just read in Rolling Stone's Adam Yauch tribute that I was at the Beasties' last concert -- at Bonnaroo 2009. I feel a mix of gratitude and sadness at this news.

message 17: by Jim (new)

Jim | 498 comments Saturday night I saw a performance by nerdcore rapper Adam Warrock (AKA former lawyer and ex-War Rocket Ajax podcaster Euge Ahn). I think he's better live than on his recordings, many of which I find overproduced.
Euge is a super nice guy, a solid MC, and as the genre name implies, his songs are largely about comics, video games, Game of Thrones, etc.
He loves Parks and Rec, so one song's chorus has the audience shout-along "Ron fucking Swanson!!!"

But I thought of our buddy Matt when Adam performed the song that describes his deepest aspiration for 2012: He wants to have a "Ryan Gosling Year."

message 18: by Matt, I am the Great Went. (last edited Jul 02, 2012 10:21PM) (new)

Matt | 1517 comments Mod
As folks who listen to the show know, I've been reading some Zen and metaphysics materials lately. I'm in a put-it-out-there place now and thought I'd mention that I was in a band called Ex-Hustlers for 10 years. We got some write-ups, were on regular rotation on KEXP, and played with some great acts, but always seemed to have bad timing and Charlie Brown karma.
Anyway, I've uploaded most of our catalog to Bandcamp and made it name yr price/free. I hope some of you feel inclined to check it out. It belongs to the universe now...as it always did. :)
(view spoiler)
http://ex-hustlers.bandcamp.com/

I'll start sharing my solo stuff, The Homeless & Orphaned Werewolves League (H.O.W.L), soon.

message 19: by Robert (new)

Robert (vernson) | 592 comments As if you weren't already awesome, Matt. Now you release this unto the virgin ears of this Midwesterner.

Thank you, sir, Holden. aka; H.O.W.L.

message 20: by Dave Alluisi, Evolution of the Arm (new)

Whatta co-inky-dink! I'm wearing my Ex-Hustlers tee today. Lookin' forward to hearing the solo stuff.

message 21: by Matt, I am the Great Went. (last edited Jul 03, 2012 11:22AM) (new)

Matt | 1517 comments Mod
Robert wrote: "As if you weren't already awesome, Matt. Now you release this unto the virgin ears of this Midwesterner.

Thank you, sir, Holden. aka; H.O.W.L."

I live to give!

Dave wrote: "Whatta co-inky-dink!"

I'm pretty sure there are no co-inky-dinks. ;)

message 22: by Matt, I am the Great Went. (new)

Matt | 1517 comments Mod
Thanks to those of you who checked out some 'Hustlers and even bigger thanks to those who contributed; most of it goes to keeping Bandcamp's lights on, which is fine with me. (I didn't realize my notices went to my 15-year-old e-mail account that I rarely check.)

I haven't been listening to much lately: some comps of some obscure lounge stuff, vinyl rips of rare soul & jazz records, that kinda stuff, but a friend did recommend a band I'll pass on: http://sarsaparilla.bandcamp.com/

message 23: by Dave Alluisi, Evolution of the Arm (new)

Thanks to a lot of very nice friends and family, I ended up with over $200 in Amazon gift credits burning a hole in my virtual pocket. So I decided to pick up some music yesterday:

Duke Ellington & John Coltrane--Fantastic pairing of two legends I'd never have thought to place together. It's a little on the short side (only about 35 minutes), but it only cost $5 so what the hell.

Swan Lake--Andre Previn and the London Symphony Orchestra recorded the full four acts, and it's really well done. Plus, it was only $10 for two and a half hours of gorgeous music.

Hommage Aan Cristina Deutekom--I've only been seriously exploring opera for less than a year, but Deutekom has quickly become a favorite. This is a collection of various arias from her repertoire, and I can't wait to dig in. For my money, maybe the most breathtaking voice I've ever heard.

Claude Debussy: Complete Works for Piano Solo, Vol. III--Debussy's piano compositions have long had a special place in my heart. I sampled roughly 50 different recordings of a few favorite pieces before settling on Hakon Austbo's collection of Debussy solos. Muted, echoey, and lovely, just like I like it.

Almost pulled the trigger on a few other things, but I figure I should pace myself. Lookit me showing a little impulse control! :)

message 25: by Dave Alluisi, Evolution of the Arm (new)

Hmm...some definite future purchases in there....

message 26: by Matt, I am the Great Went. (new)

Matt | 1517 comments Mod
Start with yr DeBussy!

message 27: by Jim (new)

Jim | 498 comments Damn, I didn't know about any of those kids' albums!

No doubt about it, Matt is the coolest dad on the block.

message 28: by Matt, I am the Great Went. (new)

Matt | 1517 comments Mod
Damn skippy! We put a card with a URL to a download of Athena's favorite songs in the gift bags for one of her birthdays. Renee made me leave "The Statue Got Me High" off of the mix. Square.

message 29: by Robert (new)

Robert (vernson) | 592 comments Matt wrote: "Damn skippy! We put a card with a URL to a download of Athena's favorite songs in the gift bags for one of her birthdays. Renee made me leave "The Statue Got Me High" off of the mix. Square."

In the future be sure to add plenty of spicy and risque pictures of Frida Kahlo portraits! Meoooow!

[image error]

message 30: by Dave Alluisi, Evolution of the Arm (last edited Nov 10, 2012 07:22PM) (new)

Recently grabbed a copy of Lakmé, which I've been meaning to do since we chatted about it on the podcast. This recording is one of the more famous renditions, by Richard Bonynge and the Orchestre National de l'Opera de Monte-Carlo and starring Joan Sutherland. A lot of really pretty stuff...this is one of those operas that can easily be seen as a stepping stone on the path to 20th century musicals.

Also picked up a somewhat disappointing recording of Dvorak's 9th...the performance is great, but the recording's a bit muffled. I got it cheapy, though, so it's not too big a deal.

Tonight, I'm very interested in Verdi and Holst. Recommendations (other than Aida and The Planets) are welcome.

message 31: by Dave Alluisi, Evolution of the Arm (new)

As it turns out, it's kinda slim pickins if you want good and inexpensive Holst recordings that aren't The Planets. I'll have to dig a bit more.

Despite the pompous Eva Wiseman's implied slight of Verdi in Mosquitoes, I've picked up the EMI digital remastering of Don Carlo as conducted by Carlo Giulini, complete with a digital booklet that translates the libretto so I can follow along. This is how I wish all opera recordings were done. Looking forward to digging into this 3 1/2 hour leviathan.

message 32: by Jason, Walking Allergen (new)

Opera nerd.

message 33: by Dave Alluisi, Evolution of the Arm (new)

It's true. I insist that they find a way for Don Giovanni and Don Carlo to meet in an epic crossover. Preferably involving time travel and at least one person who comes back from the dead.

message 34: by Matt, I am the Great Went. (new)

Matt | 1517 comments Mod
I used this song as an outro to an episode. It's my friend Ryan's band, Pony Village.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RWNbkv...
They're playing a free show this Sunday at 9 PM! I'm planning on going. Join me.
http://rontoms.tumblr.com/calendar

message 35: by Jason, Walking Allergen (new)

Matt wrote: "I used this song as an outro to an episode. It's my friend Ryan's band, Pony Village.
They're playing a free show this Sunday at ..."

Is this another show that's only free for lung blackeners?

message 36: by Matt, I am the Great Went. (new)

Matt | 1517 comments Mod
Jason wrote: "Matt wrote: "I used this song as an outro to an episode. It's my friend Ryan's band, Pony Village.
They're playing a free show th..."

I don't think so, but am not certain.

message 37: by Matt, I am the Great Went. (new)

Matt | 1517 comments Mod
It is not a sponsored show. It's one of a series of free showcases the venue does every Sunday.

message 38: by Jason, Walking Allergen (new)

Do we need to start early? 6:30, maybe?

message 39: by Robert (new)

Robert (vernson) | 592 comments Found this link to John Peel's record collection. I've only begun playing around with the site, but wow, impressive so far.

http://thespace.org/content/s000004u/...

message 40: by Matt, I am the Great Went. (new)

Matt | 1517 comments Mod
Robert wrote: "Found this link to John Peel's record collection. I've only begun playing around with the site, but wow, impressive so far.

http://thespace.org/content/s000004u/..."

Wow. How did I miss this post?! I guess I need to register with Spotify and dig in. Thanks, Rob!

Question: Do you think anyone would listen to a short podcast (20-30 min) called "Old Movies That Would Be Ruined by the Existence of Cell Phones"? Each episode would involve the viewing of a classic (20th century) movie and the show would be subsequent analysis of how the plot would be destroyed w/ today's technology. There'd be guests. It would (hopefully) be funny.
I thought of it to amuse myself while I was waiting for the bus after work, then actually warmed up to the idea. It's so stupid, it just might work.

message 41: by Dave Alluisi, Evolution of the Arm (new)

I LOVE the idea of that podcast, Matt. There are so many old movies that revolve around old school telephone technology that I think there'd be a lot to play with there. I can't even count the number of times I've watched an old movie and seen a problem where I thought, "Why don't they just pull out their cell phone and fix this real quick? Oh yeah, it's 1950."

message 42: by Matt, I am the Great Went. (new)

Matt | 1517 comments Mod
Nice. Sounds like I have one listener/guest up my sleeve. :)

message 43: by Jason, Walking Allergen (new)

I like the idea. Scary part is, I've seen movies in the last few years where I'm wondering why they don't just pull out their cellphones....

message 44: by Robert (new)

Robert (vernson) | 592 comments Matt wrote: "Robert wrote: "Found this link to John Peel's record collection. I've only begun playing around with the site, but wow, impressive so far.

http://thespace.org/content/s000004u/..."

Wow. H..."

*cough*me*cough

Seriously, all of the crime dramas from the 60's and 70's alone would be ruined. I can't imagine The French Connection or Point Blank would have the same tension to them when anyone could call off a rendezvous at a moments notice.

message 45: by Dave Alluisi, Evolution of the Arm (new)

Anyone else get irritated when you're looking for that early, now out-of-print album by a band you really like and you just can't find it anywhere for download?

I mean, really, in this day and age you'd at least think the band would have the dang thing on their own website....

message 46: by Matt, I am the Great Went. (new)

Matt | 1517 comments Mod
Dave wrote: "Anyone else get irritated when you're looking for that early, now out-of-print album by a band you really like and you just can't find it anywhere for download?"

Who did this to you?! WHO HURT YOU?!!!

message 47: by Dave Alluisi, Evolution of the Arm (last edited Feb 03, 2013 05:16AM) (new)

I'd be happy to show you on the doll where I couldn't download.

By the way, isn't it also ridiculous in 2013 that I can't just go on the internet and download a quarter whenever I need it of a Saturday night? Get on it, ghost of Steve Jobs!

message 48: by Jim (new)

Jim | 498 comments Taking a podcast listening hiatus, going through my iTunes and CD's, and especially enjoying:
*Rant in E Minor -- Bill Hicks
*Ben Folds's cover of Dr. Dre's "Bitches Ain't Shit." Really.
* Dirty Haiku -- Ex-Hustlers

And on Spotify, a bunch of Wu Tang Clan I've never listened to before, which is most of it.

message 49: by Matt, I am the Great Went. (new)

Matt | 1517 comments Mod
Aww....Bookhouse Boys audiences are the greatest audiences in the world! Thank you!

I've been slowly getting into the folk-Americana scene that has been huge since Iron & Wine came on the scene about 10 years ago (I've been on an extended break from *new* music almost as long). Been digging Dawes, Deer Tick, Middle Brother, and Breathe Owl Breathe a lot lately.

message 50: by Dave Alluisi, Evolution of the Arm (new)

Matt wrote: "Breathe Owl Breathe"

I get "Playing Dead" stuck in my head at least once a week. I need to check out more of their stuff.

« previous 1 3