The Dusty Bookshelf discussion

Wuthering Heights
This topic is about Wuthering Heights
Books > Wuthering Heights

Comments Showing 1-37 of 37 (37 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Jessica (Books: A true story) (booksatruestory) | 490 comments Mod
Read Wuthering Heights? What did you think?

Maggie | 15 comments Love, love, love it- one of my favourite books ever

Denise (dulcinea3) | 307 comments This is my favorite novel! FYI, the group Victorians! here on Goodreads is just finishing up a discussion of it, along with Charlotte's Villette and Anne's The Tenant of Wildfell Hall, so you could check that out, too.

April Lyn (aprilallyear) I haven't read it, but it's on my dusty shelf. Anyone else want to read (or re-read) it with me? I probably wouldn't be able to start until March sometime.

Miranda When I first read Wuthering Heights as an eighth grader, I was pretty confused and disturbed. However, I decided to reread it a few years later and was absolutely amazed by how much my perception of the novel had changed. I love books which are complex and relevant enough to yield something different upon each reading, and Wuthering Heights is definitely unique every time. It's so beautiful and haunting.

Elaine (lanybum) April wrote: "I haven't read it, but it's on my dusty shelf. Anyone else want to read (or re-read) it with me? I probably wouldn't be able to start until March sometime."

April i'd be up for rereading it in March sometime. I haven't read it since I was about 14 so I think I may have a slightly different viewpoint now!

message 7: by Barbara (new) - added it

Barbara | 63 comments I've read it in my early 20s so that's been a while. I would be up for rereading it as well, see if my point of view changed. I remember I really liked it the first time around.

Maggie | 15 comments I agree, I think a reread of WH is overdue for me too. I also loved Villette - more than Jane Eyre.

April Lyn (aprilallyear) Maggie wrote: "I agree, I think a reread of WH is overdue for me too. I also loved Villette - more than Jane Eyre."

Shall we plan on a March 1 start date? Or is that too soon?

Jennifer (mornnglemon) | 42 comments I loved the book. I read it many years ago at the age of 13. it was so dark, and atmospheric you could almost feel the fog on the moors. And, Heathcliff.... swoon. So troubled, but so sexy..... I would be up for a reread. It is one of favorite books ever!

message 11: by Barbara (new) - added it

Barbara | 63 comments I'm good to go anytime in March. The book is on a dusty shelf somewhere. :)

April Lyn (aprilallyear) Great.. I am going to try to start it March 1, as I have a couple currently-readings I'd like to finish up first. I'm glad you all read it as teens so I know I won't struggle through it like the last time I picked up Middlemarch! Feel free to join in, anyone interested.

Daleen Berry Miranda, I had the same experience: disturbing at first, but then hauntingly beautiful, for sure! It's one of those books you can read again and again, and come away with something new each time.

message 14: by Ray (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ray (tilma) | 8 comments I am not going to reread it anytime soon, but this is an absolute must read. Completely unCharlotte by the way, so any ref in that direction I don't understand. But WH is a great, great book.

Elaine (lanybum) I'm up for a March 1st re read.

April Lyn (aprilallyear) Elaine wrote: "I'm up for a March 1st re read."

awesome :) I'll first-read and you can re-read and we'll compare notes ;)

message 17: by Dalynn (new) - added it

Dalynn (dalynnrmc) My March is full already! But I was thinking about doing a Bronte whenever the Jane Austen month came up, so I may do this then if anyone wants to wait a bit longer. :) If not I'll probably read it anyway, or possibly Jane Eyre instead.

message 18: by AC (new) - rated it 5 stars

AC (ac_adams) | 2 comments I've read WH when I was about 14, I think.. I loved it then and I still love it, as much I remember.. but it would be nice to read it again and see how my viewpoint may've changed :D I'm in too, since I've been planning on re-reading it for a while now.
I also read Jane Eyre, and I must say I love the way Bronte sisters write and characters they create :)

Andreea (goodreaderscomlimmet) I read the comments above and I see that everyone thought that WH was an amazing book.
I'm currently reading it, since it's for my school. I really do hope to change my state of mind too, I'm at chapter 10 and until now it doesn't attract me at all and I don't quite understand it completely.
Well " never abandon a book until you haven't turned the last page, you'll never know when you'll start to like it" that's a motto on mine, sort of. I'll go and read more and comment again if I've changed my mind about the book. :)

message 20: by Jennifer (new) - added it

Jennifer (gxeninjo) | 53 comments I'm up for WH this month, if it's not too late to join. Luckily I have spring break this month. I've been reading to read that book since I heard about it.

message 21: by Darcy (new)

Darcy (drokka) Limmet, if it's any consolation, I found Wuthering Heights a long painful slog.

April Lyn (aprilallyear) D wrote: "Limmet, if it's any consolation, I found Wuthering Heights a long painful slog."

LOL. Never heard the word slog, but I love it :D

I was going to try to start this book on the 1st w/ a couple other people, I actually got sidetracked with New Moon so I'll be starting WH tonight. It looks like a quick read. We'll see :S

message 23: by Elaine (last edited Mar 04, 2012 07:25AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Elaine (lanybum) I've started re-reading Wuthering Heights.

I loved it as a teen but have to say, like D, I'm finding it a bit of a slog this time. I'd forgotten just how flipping dreary it is! I'd also forgotten how unlikeable most (if not all) the characters are!

I'm only about a 1/3 through it so far but I can tell you, at this stage my 4* rating will be going down not up.

Am actually disappointed that I feel this way about it at the minute.

message 24: by AC (new) - rated it 5 stars

AC (ac_adams) | 2 comments I haven't started re-reading it yet :o Unfortunatelly, I still have school so it will take time, huh.. I hope I'll catch up with you guys :D

Andreea (goodreaderscomlimmet) XD, you're right April.
I'm at chapter 21 now... and I haven't changed my state of mind yet. It portrays the ugliness inside human's souls and the weakness. I pity them honestly and I dislike them in the same time. The most humble out of that riot of characters remains Nelly.

Elaine (lanybum) Finished this afternoon and despite my shaky beginning I remember why I loved it.

It, thankfully, maintains it's 4 star rating for me!

I had also pretty much forgotten how little of the book is actually handed over to Heathcliff & Catherine!

Jessica (Books: A true story) (booksatruestory) | 490 comments Mod
April wrote: "D wrote: "Limmet, if it's any consolation, I found Wuthering Heights a long painful slog."

I was going to try to start this book on the 1st w/ a c..."

Wuthering Heights is mentioned a lot in Eclipse and that's why I read it in the first place. Edward's commentary on it is pretty funny :D

Wuthering Heights is one of those books that doesn't get good until the end.

message 28: by Alexis (new)

Alexis | 1 comments Wuthering Heights is one of the most painful gothic novels I've ever read ...and I adore it. It is so worth the time.

Morgan Unfortunately, Wuthering Heights is required reading for my senior English class and I'm probably not enjoying it as much as if I would've decided to read it on my own. That being said, I am not even close to being finished, so I'll try to spare judgment until the end.

Anne  (Booklady) Molinarolo (wwwgoodreadscomAnneMolinarolo) | 2 comments I've almost finished Wuthering Heights for the upteenth time and it is still wonderful! It's dark, romantic...Oh yes, madness abounds. One of my top ten favorites of all time.

message 31: by Barbara (new) - added it

Barbara | 63 comments I only got as far as the introduction. Got side-tracked with other titles. :( But it's still on my nightstand so it's turn will be up soon.

April Lyn (aprilallyear) Jessica wrote: "April wrote: "D wrote: "Limmet, if it's any consolation, I found Wuthering Heights a long painful slog."

I was going to try to start this book on..."

Funny you mention that.. after finishing up Wuthering Heights I read both Bridget Jones's Diary and Eclipse - both of which make references to Wuthering Heights! I was wondering if it's like when you learn a new word and all of a sudden seem to hear it all the time. Crazy.

April | 570 comments Gah...I should have waited to read this! I love reading all your comments..I just read this a few months ago for my second dusty book. I can't wait to hear what you are all thinking at the end! Your comments brought back all my crazy feelings while reading this book!

April Lyn (aprilallyear) I didn't realize that I didn't post my "thoughts" once I finished the book. I thought it was excellent. Not sure if it's because I'm older now and reading for pleasure and not out of obligation, or if this is just that much better than say... The Scarlet Letter or Middlemarch, but I really enjoyed the book. I love that the narrator is so hilarious. His sarcastic attitude reminds me of myself. I liked the book and found it to keep my attention the whole way through. The only thing that I seem to differ from the majority on is finding the characters to be "relatable." For the most part they just seem like a bunch of self-absorbed jerks :P

April | 570 comments Agree! with all that:) They were VERY self-absorbed! :) I do think I enjoyed it much better that I'm older and reading it because I WANT to....I'm pretty sure I would have hated this in high school! I do think at some points I couldn't put it down, because it HAD to get better...it just HAD to! The end made the whole book worth it...and it was such fun trying to explain it to my husband with all the 'same' names! His blank face was priceless:) Glad you enjoyed it...I'm happy that I finally read this one..and I am glad I waited...I probably would have been a negative person had I read this when I was younger thinking "gosh, can people really be this mean?!?"

message 36: by Kiah (new) - rated it 3 stars

Kiah (indubitablykiah) | 2 comments I'm pretty new to this group, so I was looking through all of the discussion threads and had to laugh when I saw this one. I just finished reading this today! And for dusty bookshelf reasons, too. It was a great novel, although it took me a while to get through. Finishing it gave me a wave of inspiration to read other dusty books!

April | 570 comments Kiah wrote: "I'm pretty new to this group, so I was looking through all of the discussion threads and had to laugh when I saw this one. I just finished reading this today! And for dusty bookshelf reasons, too. ..."

You Go! Kiah:) Glad we've inspired. It's so much easier to get through a tough read when you have others to share your experience! Glad you liked WH....Check out everyone's shelves . . .and see what else we can help you along with! Read on!