The Mystery, Crime, and Thriller Group discussion

Book Hunting / Recommendations > New Detective Series?

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Mikey (new)

Mikey | 2 comments I'm trying to find a decent detective series with reoccurring characters.
The last two series I finished were the PJ Tracy Monkeewrench series which I really enjoyed and the Karin Slaughter Grant County series (which was brilliant) but I didn't get on with her newer series.

Don't care if the lead character is male or female, don't mind a bit of romance being mixed in.

Any recommendations would be great.

message 2: by Christine US (new)

Christine US (christineus) | 10 comments Have you tried to Eve Dallas series by J.D. Robb? She's a NYPD detective - the first book is set in 2058, but crazy murderers are the same now or 40 years from now:) Her friends & coworkers are definitely reoccuring -- and they add to the enjoyment of the stories.

There are 30+ books in the series, so you wouldn't run out of reading material quickly:)

message 3: by Mikey (new)

Mikey | 2 comments Christine US wrote: "Have you tried to Eve Dallas series by J.D. Robb? She's a NYPD detective - the first book is set in 2058, but crazy murderers are the same now or 40 years from now:) Her friends & coworkers are de..."

That looks fantastic! I love sci-fi as well so the setting makes it all the more interesting. Will definitely pick up the the first books.

Thanks alot.

message 4: by Jane (last edited Feb 23, 2012 09:20AM) (new)

Jane (flopsybunny) | 159 comments How about Dalziel and Pascoe by Reginald Hill. They are really good reads, the first one is A Clubbable Woman

message 5: by Erin (new)

Erin | 65 comments JT Ellison's Taylor Jackson series is really good. All The Pretty Girls is the first in the series.

message 6: by Sharon (new)

Sharon Michael | 674 comments Mikey wrote: "I'm trying to find a decent detective series with reoccurring characters.
The last two series I finished were the PJ Tracy Monkeewrench series which I really enjoyed and the Karin Slaughter Grant ..."

I really like the Monkeewrench series as well. Slaughter was a bit grim for me and I absolutely love the "In Death" series which has been recommended.

An older series I have always liked is the "Prey" series by John Sandford. First ones are great, hits kind of a slow spot in the middle, then his main character switches jobs, marries, acquires a family and it takes off again. The author also adds another series about another detective, Virgil Flowers, which is also very good.

A newish series I also like very well is the Sheriff Longmier series, set in the modern west, by Craig Johnson. Very accurate as to region, people and attitudes (I lived in that area for most of my life) and he has a touch of mysticism in the books as well.

message 7: by Beth (new)

Beth | 5 comments Have you read Alex Kava or Linda Fairstein....I love love James Grippando's Jack Swyteck.

message 8: by Prasad (new)

Prasad | 4 comments What about Sue Grafton's series of Kinsey Melhone? It's worth reading, though you can't call it new. The series has 19 books, starting from A to S.

message 9: by Darcy (new)

Darcy (drokka) I believe the series is now up to V now.

message 10: by Prasad (new)

Prasad | 4 comments Thank you D, for the correction. Yes, Sue Grafton series is upto V.

message 11: by Tay (new)

Tay | 261 comments Michael Connelly's Harry Bosch series is really good.

message 12: by Wes (new)

Wes Dolatta | 2 comments Michael Connelly Harry Bosch is one of the best I have read. Once you start you cant put it down.

message 13: by John (new)

John (jkbrown2) | 389 comments Mikey wrote: "I'm trying to find a decent detective series with reoccurring characters.
The last two series I finished were the PJ Tracy Monkeewrench series which I really enjoyed and the Karin Slaughter Grant ..."

Have you tried Karin's Will Trent series? I wasn't that crazy about the first book, Triptyk, but have loved the other books. Starting with Undone Sara Linton from the Grant County books becomes a regular in the Will Trent series. I think you will like them.

I can also highly recommend the Harry Bosch series by Michael Connelly. He's the best of the best.

message 14: by John (last edited Mar 08, 2012 02:03PM) (new)

John (jkbrown2) | 389 comments One other series with recurring characters is the Michelle King/Shaun Maxwell series by David Baldacci. They are both former Secret Service agents who become partners as PIs. Great team.

And of course there is the team of Elvis Cole and Joe Pike by Robert Crais. Both are ex-military turned PIs. Great characters either singularly or together.

message 15: by Renee (new)

Renee (elenarenee) | 182 comments So many great series. Awesome thread.

Question for whom ever read the Grant County books by Slaughter. Did you keep reading after they killed a main char? I stopped and have never picked her up again

message 16: by John (new)

John (jkbrown2) | 389 comments Warning- Spoilers! I sort of started her books backwards. The first book of Slaughter's that I read was Fractured, which I consideer the first of the Will Trent series. I then read all of the Trent series in order. I found out about the death of Jeffery when Sara Linton was introducted into the Will Trent series. I have afterwards read most of the Grant County series and disagree with you on one mior point in that to me Sara is the main character in that series. I probably will not read the final GC book because I already know how it ends and I'm a bit of a sap and don't like sad endings. However I have enjoyed the relationship of Sara and Will Trent and look forward to the next book in that series which is due out soon.

message 17: by Autumn (new)

Autumn (autumnmemory80) | 374 comments Renee wrote: "So many great series. Awesome thread.

Question for whom ever read the Grant County books by Slaughter. Did you keep reading after they killed a main char? I stopped and have never picked her up ..."

I kept reading the series after the loss of the main character. While losing him was very difficult, I became really attached, I love Will Trent being introduced. I enjoy his character, and he fits right in with Sara. They have such a nice balance together. If you have not picked up the Will Trent series, I recommend reading them and learn more about this new character in the GC series.

The Mystery, Crime, and Thriller Group

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

A Clubbable Woman (other topics)