Books on the Nightstand discussion

Podcast Episode Discussions > Epsidoe #168-Downton Abbey

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Carol (last edited Feb 23, 2012 05:45AM) (new)

Carol (ckubala) | 552 comments Mod
Thanks to you both for this segment and lots of suggestions for those enjoying Downton Abbey. I know you always leave something for your audience to suggest so here's one I saw recently.

To Marry an English Lord: Or How Anglomania Really Got Started

This gives an eye view of how 100 American heiresses invaded Britannia and swapped dollars for titles--just like Cora Crawley, Countess of Grantham

and should be of interest to Downton fans.

I am thumbing through Ann's suggestion of The World of Downton Abbey - it's stunning!

Michael, put this on your viewing list. My husband who usually pooh poohs this stuff thought it was wonderful. We are eagerly awaiting Season 3.

message 2: by Frankie (new)

Frankie (thefranklynn) I've been reading The Decline and Fall of the British Aristocracy for research- not a page turner, but it is fascinating and has lots of good information/context for the era

message 3: by Barbara (new)

Barbara Schanne Atkins A book I read a few years ago "The Perfect Summer: England,1911, Just Before the Storm" by Juliet Nicholson is a social history of this time. I recommend it to get a feel for the period. Nicholson is the granddaughter of Vita Sackville-West and had connections to the "upstairs" crowd. She also wrote a sequel "The Great Silence ...." . Not an easy nor pleasant read but neither was that time.

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

*ahem* I might be the only one who has not watched Downton Abbey and now I think I'll have to catch up.

Another note about this podcast - I was just at the library this morning and sitting there on the new release shelf was King Peggy: An American Secretary, Her Royal Destiny, and the Inspiring Story of How She Changed an African Village so I snatched it up. It was also mentioned at a book club seminar I went to a few weeks ago and I can't wait to start it.

message 5: by Janet (new)

Janet (justjanet) | 790 comments I'm going to miss my Downton Abbey fix on Sunday nights now that season 2 is over.

message 6: by Beth (new)

Beth Knight (zazaknittycat) | 65 comments Janet wrote: "I'm going to miss my Downton Abbey fix on Sunday nights now that season 2 is over."

I was just thinking about how much I'm going to miss my DA time on Sunday nights!

message 7: by Carol (new)

Carol (ckubala) | 552 comments Mod
We're going to miss it too but look forward to Season 3.

Thanks for the additional reading suggestions!