Books on the Nightstand discussion

Podcast Episode Discussions > Episode #168- "Apology Accepted" - Stephen King

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Philip (new)

Philip (heard03) | 8 comments Stephen King recommendation for Michael: The Green Mile. If you've seen the movie, you may think you don't need to read the book. You'd be wrong. As amazing as the movie is, the book is even better. And it's actually on the short side considering some of the tomes King has written.

message 2: by Chris (new)

Chris | 180 comments ...And another recommendation, another book of short stories, "Night Shift." While King does a great job with the supernatural, it's his stories about people (who are the real horrors) that really make you stand up and take notice. Also, his book, "On Writing," is one of the BEST books on writing I've ever read, and that's saying something, since I've read a ton! :-)

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

Philip wrote: "Stephen King recommendation for Michael: The Green Mile. If you've seen the movie, you may think you don't need to read the book. You'd be wrong. As amazing as the movie is, the book i..."

I second the recommendation for The Green Mile. This is probably the only Stephen King book I've read, but like Michael with 11/22/63 it changed my perception of King as a writer.

message 4: by Elizabeth☮ (new)

Elizabeth☮ i have always thought King's genre wasn't for me, but perhaps this one 11/22/63 will change my opinion. my brother is a huge fan and always tries to get me to read King's books. i've only read short stories. i'm too much of a scaredy cat to read the horror.

message 5: by Eric (new)

Eric | 1175 comments Mod
I can't tell you how tired I am of Stephen King being pigeonholed as a horror writer. Let's look at the facts:

Carrie: Horror

Salem's Lot: Horror (a vampire novel...are vampire novels horror? Lately they seem to defy the label).

The Shining: Horror

Rage: Suspense?

Night Shift: Short stories. Some are horror, I guess. (Some are dark fantasies in the vein of Richard Matheson or suspense in the vein of Robert Bloch, two of his heroes)

The Stand: post-apocalyptic struggle between good and evil/adventure.

The Long Walk: social science fiction.

The Dead Zone: political thriller with psychic overtones.

Firestarter: Superhero suspense. (a kid with a mutant power)

Roadwork: psychological suspense

Danse Macabre: Literary criticism.

Cujo: suspense

The Running Man: science fiction

The Dark Tower: The Gunslinger: epic fantasy

Creepshow: EC style horror comic

Different Seasons: crime, coming of age, suspense, and horror

Christine: Horror

Pet Sematary: Horror

Cycle of the Werewolf: Horror

The Talisman: Fantasy

Thinner: horror/suspense

Skeleton Crew: various

It: Coming of age/horror/adventure

The Eyes of the Dragon: fantasy

The Dark Tower II: The Drawing of the Three: epic fantasy

Misery: suspense

The Tommyknockers: science fiction

The Dark Half: horror

Four Past Midnight: Twilight Zone-esque stories

The Dark Tower III: The Waste Lands: fantasy

Needful Things: As if Robert Altman wrote a horror novel.

Gerald's Game: suspense

Dolores Claiborne: gothic (the Daphne Du Maurier genre)

Nightmares and Dreamscapes: various

Insomnia: elder fantasy ("Cocoon" genre)

Rose Madder: feminist fantasy

The Green Mile: fantasy

Desperation: horror

The Regulators" horror

Dark Tower IV: Wizard and Glass: epic fantasy

Bag of Bones: suspense

The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon: literary fiction

Hearts in Atlantis: fantasy

On Writing: memoir

Dreamcatcher: science fiction

Black House: fantasy

Everything's Eventual: various

From a Buick 8: fantasy

Dark Tower V, VI, and VII: epic fantasy

The Colorado Kid: crime

Cell: horror

Lisey's Story: literary fiction

Blaze: crime

Duma Key: horror

Just After Sunset: Various

Under the Dome: as if Robert Altman wrote a science fiction story

Blockade Billy: baseball

Full Dark, No Stars: mostly crime

Mile 81: horror

11/22/63: science fiction/romance

message 6: by Michael (new)

Michael (mkindness) | 537 comments Mod
Eric wrote: "I can't tell you how tired I am of Stephen King being pigeonholed as a horror writer. Let's look at the facts"

Eric-

I always knew he was more than horror, and I'm not really sure why I thought he wasn't for me, but I'm so glad to be wrong!!

Michael

message 7: by Eric (new)

Eric | 1175 comments Mod
Finally getting a chance to listen to the podcast. And as a fan who has read all of King's output, I'm happy to see he's made another new fan.

The movies spawned by "Different Seasons" are "The Shawshank Redemption", "Stand By Me", and "Apt Pupil".

message 8: by Ann (new)

Ann (akingman) | 2097 comments Mod
Eric, that post deserves to be framed! Or at least shared more widely. Great stuff, thank you! (Though I think I'd put Carrie in the same/similar category to Firestarter.

message 9: by Jana (new)

Jana (jazziegirl2010) | 309 comments I talked two friends into giving 11/22/63 a try (same story, they thought they didn't like Stephen King). One of them is giving back rave reviews, but the other one I haven't heard a peep from.

Glad you enjoyed it, Michael. I agree, the audible version was fabulous.

message 10: by Don (new)

Don | 49 comments Thanks Eric. I quit on King after Cujo. I started again with Duma Key and I've loved everything since. I'm diving into his back work. This list will help me decide what next.

message 11: by Melissa (new)

Melissa | 279 comments I have read Uncle Stevie since my college days. I now have a child in college. I recommend that Michael read The Stand next, based on how much he enjoyed The Passage. Great list, Eric!

message 12: by Pamela (new)

Pamela | 55 comments Stephen King is amazing; Eric, thanks for that list. I read everything King wrote until the mid-80's, then read his stuff here and there. I loved his "On Writing", and can't wait to read "11/22/63".

message 13: by Dawn (new)

Dawn | 187 comments I am roughly halfway through 11/22/63 and have a hard time putting it down every day to go to work. Or work out. Or go to dinner. You get the idea ...

Like Pamela, I read all of his stuff up until about the mid- or late-80s and then dropped off. I read "On Writing" last year and loved it as well. I'm sure I'll enjoy dipping back into the last 20 years of goodies that I've sadly ignored!

In the meantime - must go - my Nook is calling me ...

message 14: by Heather (new)

Heather (hmcgivney) | 35 comments Sorry to revive an old topic, but I just had to share this. It's a handy flowchart of the connections in the Stephen King universe (minus Dark Towers).

http://tessiedesigncompany.blogspot.c...

By the way, I loved 11/22/63, my very first Stephen King novel after reading the novella Rita Hayworth and the Shawshank Redemption. (The recommendations from this group were helpful in getting 11/22/63 to the top of my TBR list.) I'm sure I would have appreciated the Derry part of the story more had I read It first, but I still enjoyed the book!

message 15: by Sarah (new)

Sarah F | 12 comments Like many others, I read Stephen King back in high school in the 80s, then stopped because I thought it was not "literature." I came back to him after two friends with very different tastes in books recommended him. I loved 11/22/63, especially the audio by Craig something. What an amazing job he did!

message 16: by Sydney (new)

Sydney Young (sydyoung) | 38 comments I loved the audio version, of 11/22/63, too! And that way, I don't have to put the book down to go work out, or do house work, or drive to work, etc.