City of Bones (The Mortal Instruments, #1) City of Bones discussion

What's going on with the movie?

Comments Showing 1-43 of 43 (43 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by AJ (new) - rated it 5 stars

AJ I just looked up TMI movie on IMDB and the casting info has gone. And if you look up Lily or Jamie, TMI is not on their pages. I know there's been a bit of stuff going on with the movie lately, but does anybody have any updates?

Jess That is really weird! Wish I knew what was going on here. All the info on the movie is gone and the release date (originally 2012) is not there. My only guess is that they lost funding or there was some type of problem with the actors. Have you tried to message Cassandra Clare?

Melissa From what I read somewhere online and I think in one of the other TMI forums here, the movie's been put into turnaround, which means it's been shelved until it can be financed. The director is considering backing the film himself but definitely no guarantee. Sadness :(

esthermarie Ask Cassie Clare about it on her tumblr. From what I understand, the movie still is a go, but yeah, there is some turnaround stuff going on. Cassie Clare's not worried about it though, so I'm not going to get all worried either.

S.L.J. It's basically been shelved for now because Sony dropped out so they have no money to make it. If they can find another distributer, they'll make it.

Basically, the TMI movie isn't dead, it's just sleeping.

Sara That's what happened the Screen Gems agency has quit the project, but the film still is a go :)
Unfortunately the project it's taking so long and we are all sooooo excited !!

S.L.J. I think they are waiting to see how Hunger Games works out. If that does well, it'll give them more faith in YA novel adaptions.

Christian Yeah, Cassie, Jamie and Lily have publicly stated that the project is till a go and that filming will begin this summer. The director did drop out, and I have not heard if there will be a replacement. The lastest I have been able to find is this:

http://www.nextmovie.com/blog/the-mor...

message 9: by Dee (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dee Weird. Well hopefully all works out soon. I think it was a big mistake for them to drop out, as long as they do the books justice, the movie will definitely be a big hit.

Veronica Is Infernal Devices still good-to-go?...

message 11: by Dee (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dee Veronica wrote: "Is Infernal Devices still good-to-go?..."

I didn't realize The Infernal Devices was being made into a movie..

Veronica Deondra wrote: "Veronica wrote: "Is Infernal Devices still good-to-go?..."

I didn't realize The Infernal Devices was being made into a movie.."

http://tmisource.com/tag/infernal-dev...

message 13: by Dee (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dee Oh wow, I cant believe how many books I really like are being turned into movies, hopefully they dont butcher them like they did Twilight lol. But since they are nothing alike hopefully they don't (as long as they pick someone REALLLLY good for Will) :)

Veronica Deondra wrote: "Oh wow, I cant believe how many books I really like are being turned into movies, hopefully they dont butcher them like they did Twilight lol. But since they are nothing alike hopefully they don't ..."

Yeah, as long a Will is good, the movie can't be THAT bad. Haha.

message 15: by Dee (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dee Veronica wrote: "Deondra wrote: "Oh wow, I cant believe how many books I really like are being turned into movies, hopefully they dont butcher them like they did Twilight lol. But since they are nothing alike hopef..."

haha exactly! :)

Veronica I think most people are trying to get Paul Wesley (I think that's his name) to play Will. He's the Brit who narrates the audiobook. I think he could be a good Will although there MAY be someone better out there.

Have you seen this? I really like it and Nina Dobrev actually works as Tessa for me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3QzeqI...

message 17: by Dee (last edited Feb 23, 2012 09:33PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dee Yes I have! lol matter of fact I'm pretty sure it was you that posted this on another thread, and I clicked on it to watch it :) I think Douglas Booth would be a good choice too, after watching the video. Along with Adam Gregory

message 18: by Dee (last edited Feb 23, 2012 07:27PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dee And I dont mind Nina Dobrev either, but she does remind me a lot of Vampire Diaries, so I don't know if I could picture her as Tessa lol. Maybe India Eisley could pull her off, unless she's too young. I have never watched Secret Life, but I saw her in the new Underworld movie, and she was good.

Veronica Oh, I can see that. Her voice would annoy me, though... I think that Nina Dobrev in 19th century attire would be really good. (I think I would get over the Vampire Diaries relation quickly once I got into the movie).

Veronica Plus, you gotta remember, these actors need to be able to do English accents (although Tessa's would be more American).

message 21: by Dee (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dee So true, she does look good in the old fashioned clothes, and I really like her hair. Douglass has a real English accent right? I'm pretty sure. I wonder who could play a good Jem, I haven't really though about that since I didn't even know they are planning on a movie lol.

Veronica Deondra wrote: "So true, she does look good in the old fashioned clothes, and I really like her hair. Douglass has a real English accent right? I'm pretty sure. I wonder who could play a good Jem, I haven't really..."

Douglass?

message 23: by Dee (last edited Feb 23, 2012 09:34PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dee lol Douglas Booth, hes the guy from the youtube video who they chose for will. I mentioned him a couple comments ago.

message 24: by Ali (last edited Feb 23, 2012 09:29PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ali Veronica wrote: "I think most people are trying to get Paul Wesley (I think that's his name) to play Will. He's the Brit who narrates the audiobook. I think he could be a good Will although there MAY be someone bet..."

the guy who did the reading on the audiobooks was Ed Westwick, aka Chuck Bass from Gossip Girl. if you do a google search of "Ed Westwick, Will Herondale" you get back multiple articles. Cassandra Clare seems very supportive, actually beyond supportive, more like he is her 1st choice if she has any input, for the part of Will, and he has said he would be interested...

message 25: by Dee (last edited Feb 23, 2012 09:49PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dee Alison wrote: "Veronica wrote: "I think most people are trying to get Paul Wesley (I think that's his name) to play Will. He's the Brit who narrates the audiobook. I think he could be a good Will although there M..."

Isn't he a bit old looking to play Will? lol I know hes only 24 but I just googled images of him, and he looks older than that. It would be kinda weird for me if he was to play him.

Veronica Alison wrote: "Veronica wrote: "I think most people are trying to get Paul Wesley (I think that's his name) to play Will. He's the Brit who narrates the audiobook. I think he could be a good Will although there M..."

Haha, I guess I had Vampire Diaries on my mind :P

I think he'd be a good Will as long as they cleaned him up and made him look like a gentleman. His accent is perfect :)

Veronica Deondra wrote: "Alison wrote: "Veronica wrote: "I think most people are trying to get Paul Wesley (I think that's his name) to play Will. He's the Brit who narrates the audiobook. I think he could be a good Will a..."

Makeup can work wonders, haha.

Jennifer Davis Deondra wrote: "Oh wow, I cant believe how many books I really like are being turned into movies, hopefully they dont butcher them like they did Twilight lol. But since they are nothing alike hopefully they don't ..."

I'm worried about who they cast for Jace. The actor seems too feminine for my liking. He looks thinner than the girl they cast for Clary.

message 29: by M. (new) - rated it 3 stars

M. I'm actually more excited about an Infernal Devices movie than a TMI movie. However, I don't know who they are going to cast for Will and Jem. I honestly do not know any actor right now who could portray them well physically and also have the skills to deliver a good performance.
I agree that the guy they cast to play Jace was a big disappointment.

message 30: by Dee (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dee Jennifer Anne wrote: "Deondra wrote: "Oh wow, I cant believe how many books I really like are being turned into movies, hopefully they dont butcher them like they did Twilight lol. But since they are nothing alike hopef..."

I agree, maybe if he bulks up he would look somewhat better. But his facial features are definitely feminine, don't know how they could fix that lol.

message 31: by Ria (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ria omg...i would totally want infernal devices into a movie :) but before the city of bones, or after??

message 32: by Dee (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dee I read on the link that they want to release the movies the same way Cassandra Calre released the books.

message 33: by M. (new) - rated it 3 stars

M. So, Infernal Devices was released after the 2nd TMI book or 3rd? By the time I got to ID the first 3 books of TMI were already released so I don't know the order of publication.

message 34: by Dee (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dee I believe the first Infernal Devices book was released after City Of Glass.

message 35: by [deleted user] (new)

Well, I'm a little disappointed... But I'm also a bit glad. I don't think Jamie fit the role of Jace at all and from what I've seen of Lily, she looks the part, but I don't know whether she'd be right for Clary acting-wise. Maybe when I see Mirror Mirror my opinion on her will change, but for right now I still think that. No one else was cast as far as I'm concerned. I think by the time they can afford the movie, the people who were originally cast will be too old. Who knows where it's going to go? The Infernal Devices as a movie would be AMAZING as long as they cast it correctly.
You can tell I care about these books a lot. xD I just want the movies to do justice for the books. :)

message 36: by Mig (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mig Hmm, i hope it would wake up very soon. (and pick the right one for Jace)

message 37: by [deleted user] (new)

Miguel wrote: "Hmm, i hope it would wake up very soon. (and pick the right one for Jace)"

I thought I was the only one who didn't think he was the right Jace. :D

Veronica MJ wrote: "Miguel wrote: "Hmm, i hope it would wake up very soon. (and pick the right one for Jace)"

I thought I was the only one who didn't think he was the right Jace. :D"

I can kind of see the face/hair but definitely not the body and he better lose his accent.

message 39: by [deleted user] (last edited Feb 25, 2012 10:59PM) (new)

Veronica wrote: "MJ wrote: "Miguel wrote: "Hmm, i hope it would wake up very soon. (and pick the right one for Jace)"

I can kind of see the..."

True. This is my issue: I thought it should have been someone who looked like Alex Pettyfer, who unfortunately can't really act unless it's the usual "pretend dramatic but plain face I use throughout the film" face. And unfortunately, the only thing I've seen Jamie in is Sweeney Todd where he really doesn't do anything expect gaze at a girl in a window and sing. So, I don't think they have the right guy for it right now, but by the time he's older in a few years, they probably won't be able to keep him as Jace anyway, so I'm not sure what's going to happen.
Sorry for the long rant on this. xD And I don't mean anything against Alex Pettyfer. It's just the only thing I've ever seen him do in movies.

Veronica MJ wrote: "Veronica wrote: "MJ wrote: "Miguel wrote: "Hmm, i hope it would wake up very soon. (and pick the right one for Jace)"

I ca..."

If you have access to HBO, watch "Camelot". He is King Arthur in it and it was a great series (very adult, though). I think he was also in the movie "Anonymous" that was about Shakespeare (I didn't see it, though).

message 41: by Sara (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sara Alex Pettyfer would be the perfect Jace, he fit PERFECTLY! I still don't know what really happened and why Alex refused to do the character but I was really sad. Jamie is not the perfect jace but everyday more I convince myself that I will done a good job :) lET'S HOPE :D

message 42: by Mig (last edited Feb 26, 2012 05:15PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mig MJ wrote: "True. This is my issue: I thought it should have been someone who looked like Alex Pettyfer, who unfortunately can't really act unless it's the usual "pretend dramatic but plain face I use throughout the film" face. And unfortunately, the only thing I've seen Jamie in is Sweeney Todd where he really doesn't do anything expect gaze at a girl in a window and sing. So, I don't think they have the right guy for it right now, but by the time he's older in a few years, they probably won't be able to keep him as Jace anyway, so I'm not sure what's going to happen.
Sorry for the long rant on this. xD And I don't mean anything against Alex Pettyfer. It's just the only thing I've ever seen him do in movies. "

Yeah, Jamie would be old if they made COLS movie in the future. (if there would be one.)
I think the movie would fail. i don't think they'll make a sequel movie for it. (like, I am number four.)

UGH. not to be mean but, WHY JAMIE!?!?!

message 43: by AJ (new) - rated it 5 stars

AJ I'm going out on a limb here, but I actually don't like Alex Pettyfer for Jace - just couldn't see it! I think Jamie will do a good job, some pics I've seen of him with longer hair and in character he looks good.