Coffee & Books discussion

Old Challenges > March 2012

Comments Showing 1-48 of 48 (48 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Rachel Jorquera , Moderator (last edited Mar 21, 2012 05:47PM) (new)

Rachel Jorquera  (racheljorquera) | 2955 comments Mod
March already! Holy Cow!

Well, it was much anticipated (and sorry it came out later than normal) but here is the Green filed challenge!

1. A book with a green cover. Can be any shade, any type, just make sure for the most part the cover stays green.
2. A book with the word "Green" in either the title or authors name. Doesnt have to be just '____ Green'. Could be any variation of green. Like Greenfield, Greene, Greeney, don;t know if those are real last names, but you get the idea ;)
3. A book that has to do with Saint Patrick's Day.
4. A book that has shamrock, gold, luck(y), leprechaun, clover, or any "Saint Patrick's Day -esq" things in the title.
5. A book that is either a) about Ireland or b) the author is form Ireland.
6. A book with the title that is in Gold or Green writing.

I hope this is a fun challenge. The challenge is stretched a little bit more, so if you have any questions at all, feel free to ask me! :)

Have fun!

Participants
Rachel
Kel
Jessa
Heather
Petra
Jenn
Teneal
Thalia
Angie
Chris Ann
Varla
Tyler
Meri Kate
Carrie
Esta
Rebecca
Amanda
Melissa
Nicolette
Diana S
Karen
jenny

message 2: by Thalia (new)

Thalia (thaliaanderson) I can't wait for this to be put up! I'm just about to finish the last of my February books and am feeling antsy not having anything planned for next month yet, hahah. (:

message 3: by Teneal (new)

Teneal | 227 comments Haha me too Thalia! I swear I would've checked this thread a million times by now.

I love planning my books for the next month!!

message 4: by Thalia (new)

Thalia (thaliaanderson) Teneal, I feel like, more in control when I have it like that, haha. Otherwise, I find myself having no clue what to read, drowning in the possibilities of all the things I have, unread, on my shelves right now. x) I need structure! If I could plan out until June, I'd be totally happy, hahhaa. (:

message 5: by Ciska (new)

Ciska (ciska_vander_lans) | 73 comments Glad to know I am not the only one feeling like that

message 6: by Angie (new)

Angie (seren-lucy) I'm looking forward to learning what this challenge has in store for us too!

message 7: by Teneal (new)

Teneal | 227 comments Thalia wrote: "Teneal, I feel like, more in control when I have it like that, haha. Otherwise, I find myself having no clue what to read, drowning in the possibilities of all the things I have, unread, on my shel..."

Haha I am the same. I write them all in my diary and then I see how I can slot them all into the five million challenges I am doing.

When I don't know what I'm reading for the next month the possibilities go over and over in my head hahaha.

I think we have a problem Thalia :P haha

message 8: by Kel (new)

Kel | 66 comments Haha , and here I thought I was the only one. I organize mine in my to be read list in the order I plan to read them. I have it done up until April , and I have checked this site 3 times a day at least for the new challenge lol.

message 9: by Thalia (new)

Thalia (thaliaanderson) ...I have a whiteboard. On my wall. Listing all I have to read that month. x) But there's only four days left in the month! Not enough time to plan, if you ask me! I feel like a chicken with its head chopped off, hahaha.

message 10: by Teneal (new)

Teneal | 227 comments I think Rachel is really really busy at the moment with multiple jobs and college.

message 11: by Jessa (new)

Jessa (ufeelcrunchy) | 52 comments Kel wrote: "Haha , and here I thought I was the only one. I organize mine in my to be read list in the order I plan to read them. I have it done up until April , and I have checked this site 3 times a day at l..."

I am glad I'm not the only nerd. I'm excited to pick out my March reads!

message 12: by Kel (new)

Kel | 66 comments Haha , yeah I am a really big nerd. I start to panic if I don't have my next book lined up.

message 13: by Thalia (new)

Thalia (thaliaanderson) Ahhh, I finished my "impromptu" done-with-February's-challenges book today...I don't know what to do with myself! I stood in my room staring around at all the books that I haven't read yet, and I can't even decide/know what the heck I'm supposed to do without a challenge outline to follow!

message 14: by Rachel Jorquera , Moderator (new)

You guys are too good! Sorry to keep you waiting! I have posted the challenge! It is going to be fun :)

message 15: by Rachel Jorquera , Moderator (last edited Mar 15, 2012 12:42PM) (new)

I am definitely joining in! I will only do one or two, but here are mine :)

2. A book with the word "Green" in either the title or authors name: Looking for Alaska by John Green

5. A book that is either a) about Ireland or b) the author is form Ireland: Oscar Wilde's Fairy Tales by Oscar Wilde Finished 3.15.12

Looking for Alaska by John Green Oscar Wilde's Fairy Tales by Oscar Wilde

message 16: by Kel (last edited Mar 25, 2012 07:16AM) (new)

Kel | 66 comments 1. A book with a green cover. Can be any shade, any type, just make sure for the most part the cover stays green.

Hero at Large 03/25/12

Hero at Large by Janet Evanovich

message 17: by Jessa (new)

Jessa (ufeelcrunchy) | 52 comments I think I'll take on 1 and 5.

1) Eating Animals by Jonathan Safran Foer
2) Ulysses by James Joyce (I will never finish this in March but I am going to give it a try!)

message 18: by Heather (new)

Heather (ninebookishlivescom) | 12 comments I'll join...

Books to be posted later.

message 19: by Petra (last edited Mar 09, 2012 06:44AM) (new)

Petra Sounds like more fun for March! Count me in.

1. Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea (Mar 1)
2. A book with the word "Green" in either the title or authors name.
4. A book that has shamrock, gold, luck(y), leprechaun, clover, or any "Saint Patrick's Day -esq" things in the title.
5. A book that is either a) about Ireland or b) the author is from Ireland.
6. Kristin Lavransdatter: The Bridal Wreath/The Mistress of Husaby/The Cross

Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea by Jules Verne 2 3 4 5 Kristin Lavransdatter The Bridal Wreath/The Mistress of Husaby/The Cross by Sigrid Undset

message 20: by Jenn (last edited Feb 26, 2012 07:18PM) (new)

Jenn (jennh75) I'm in...not sure what books yet, but I'll figure it out!!

Ok- #5) author from Ireland...I'm reading Dracula by Bram Stoker. (this will also knock out a classic heheeheee )

message 21: by Teneal (last edited Mar 31, 2012 07:33AM) (new)

Teneal | 227 comments Definitely in for this one! :) Monthly challenges are my favourite!

4/4 - Completed!!

1. A book with a green cover - Still Missing by Chevy Stevens 4.3.12
2. A book with the word "Green" in the title or authors name - The Fault in Our Stars by John Green 18.3.12
4. A book that has lucky in the title - Lucky by Alice Sebold 30.3.12
6. A book with the title that is in Gold writing - The Art of Racing in the Rain by Garth Stein 31.3.12

Still Missing by Chevy Stevens The Fault in Our Stars by John Green Lucky by Alice Sebold The Art of Racing in the Rain by Garth Stein

message 22: by Angie (last edited Mar 28, 2012 12:53AM) (new)

Angie (seren-lucy) 1. The Yellow House - half the cover is green and it is set in Ireland.
5. The Butterfly Cabinet - set in Ireland

The Butterfly Cabinet by Bernie Mcgill The Yellow House A Novel by Patricia Falvey

A handful of days out from April and I have finally completed my two books. The Yellow House was excellent. I'm looking forward to reading the author's other book. The Butterfly Cabinet was so-so. I wouldn't recommend it.

message 23: by Varla Fiona (last edited Mar 22, 2012 01:03AM) (new)

Varla Fiona (dory_42) I'll join...

1. AwakeningMarch 21
2. Sir Gawain and the Green Knight (Thanks for the idea, Melissa!!)
4. The Complete Adventures of Lucky Starr
5. The Supernaturalist Read March 14
6. Magyk Read March 11

I will add others if I find them!

message 24: by Tyler (last edited Feb 28, 2012 06:43AM) (new)

Tyler (tyleralysea) | 25 comments First challenge! Soooo excited :)
1. I'll probably do Maze Runner people have been talking about it a lot The Maze Runner (Maze Runner, #1) by James Dashner
2. A book with "green" in the title or authors name:
3. A book that has to do with Saint Patrick's Day:
4. A book that has shamrock, gold, luck(y), leprechaun, clover, or any "Saint Patrick's Day -esq" things in the title:
5. I'll pick something by Joyce- maybe Portrait of the Artist haven't reread it in many years James Joyce
6. My bedtime book this month will be The Golden Compass The Golden Compass

message 25: by Meri Kate (last edited Feb 27, 2012 02:24PM) (new)

Meri Kate (booksandsunshine) I accept this challenge! Super excited!

I need to find a ride to the library though!

1. The Maze Runner
2. Looking for Alaska
4. Once Upon a Marigold
5. Dracula
6. Wicked: The Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West

Those are hopefully what I'll be reading in March!

message 26: by Jessa (new)

Jessa (ufeelcrunchy) | 52 comments Meri Kate wrote: "I accept this challenge! Super excited!

I need to find a ride to the library though!

1. The Maze Runner
2. Looking for Alaska
3. A book that has to do with Saint Patr..."

Meri I would love love love to know what you think of the Maze Runner when you're done. I keep wanting to read it and going back and forth on actually buying it.

message 27: by Carrie (last edited Mar 25, 2012 07:56AM) (new)

Carrie (carrieaj) Green Challenge
3/1-3/31

4/4

✔1Ender's Game (Green Cover) 3/5
✔4.The Joy Luck Club(Luck in title) 3/19
✔5.Irish Fairy and Folk Tales(Irish Author) 3/20
✔6.A Hidden Fire(Gold Title) 3/22

Ender's Game (Ender's Saga, #1) by Orson Scott Card Irish Fairy and Folk Tales (Barnes & Noble Library of Essential Reading) by W.B. Yeats The Joy Luck Club by Amy Tan A Hidden Fire (Elemental Mysteries Book #1) by Elizabeth Hunter

message 28: by Esther (last edited Mar 10, 2012 11:05AM) (new)

Esther  (estame) 1.A Book with a GREEN COVER - The Kite Runner Completed 10th March
2.A Book with the word Green in it - Fried Green Tomatoes at the Whistle Stop Cafe
3.A Book that Has St.Pats Day in it - Angela's Ashes (It may not have St Pats in, but it's very Irish!)
5. A Book about Ireland or Irish author - Dubliners

message 29: by Rebecca (last edited Feb 28, 2012 07:02AM) (new)

Rebecca (rebeccasg) Definitely gonna try this one! Green is my favorite color, but I might need some help with this one.

Green Challenge
3/1-3/31

0/6

1. A book with a green cover:
2. A book with the word "Green" in either the title or authors name:
3. A book that has to do with Saint Patrick's Day:
4. A book that has "Saint Patrick's Day -esq" things in the title:
5. A book that is about Ireland by author form Ireland:
6. A book with the title that is in Gold or Green writing:

message 30: by Amanda (new)

Amanda Garber | 34 comments 1. A book with a green cover
Inheritance (Inheritance, #4) by Christopher Paolini

message 31: by Melissa (ladybug) (last edited Mar 26, 2012 05:49PM) (new)

Melissa (ladybug) (ladybugsdoodles) | 112 comments I am really going to try this challenge. March is my bday month, so sounds fun to celebrate this way. :D

3/4

►1. A book with a green cover:
An Irish Country Doctor (3/26/12)
2. A book with the word "Green" in either the title or authors name:
Sir Gawain and the Green Knight
►3. A book that has to do with Saint Patrick's Day:
Plum Lucky (3/16/12)
►6. A book with the title that is in Gold or Green writing:
Murphy's Law (3/20/12)

message 32: by Jessa (new)

Jessa (ufeelcrunchy) | 52 comments Melissa wrote: "I am really going to try this challenge. March is my bday month, so sounds fun to celebrate this way. :D

1. A book with a green cover
2. A book with the word "Green" in either the title or author..."

Happy early birthday

Melissa (ladybug) (ladybugsdoodles) | 112 comments Thank you :D

message 34: by Nicolette (new)

Nicolette (cocopuff09120) | 68 comments I'm going to try to do a few of these! I'll add which here when I figure it out.

message 35: by Diana S (last edited Mar 30, 2012 07:45PM) (new)

Diana S | 67 comments March "Green-filled" Challenge
Books Read: 2/6
Updated: 3/30/12 Just Two this Month!

1. Green Cover - Elvis and the Grateful Dead by Peggy Webb (3/23/12)
2. "Green" - Bloodroot by Amy Greene
3. St. Patrick's Day
4. St. Patrick's symbols (shamrocks on cover) -St. Patrick's Day Murder by Leslie Meier
5. Ireland (set in Ireland) - The Death of an Irish Tinker by Bartholomew Gill
6. Gold/Green Title - Dance of the Gods by Nora Roberts (3/30/12)

It's not easy being "green"!
Elvis and the Grateful Dead (A Southern Cousins Mystery, #2) by Peggy Webb Dance of the Gods (Circle Trilogy, #2) by Nora Roberts

message 36: by Rachel Jorquera , Moderator (new)

How is the green challenge going for everyone? :)

message 37: by Varla Fiona (new)

Varla Fiona (dory_42) Rachel Skye wrote: "How is the green challenge going for everyone? :)"

Great! It is actually quite fun searching out books to fit the topics. I found a kids series by Isaac Asimov about a spaceman called Lucky Starr which I am looking forward to reading, and borrowed an idea from someone else's list to cover the Green category. Got lots to finish this month, better get reading...

message 38: by Karen Michele (new)

Karen Michele Burns (klibrary) I still plan to jump in here this month and post my books, but I just got back from a conference and I had to post that while I was waiting for my son to get off work to meet me for dinner in Seattle last night, I was in a place called "Coffee and Books"!

message 39: by Jessa (new)

Jessa (ufeelcrunchy) | 52 comments Finished my March reads and there was some interesting reads in there :-)

message 40: by Petra (new)

Petra Rachel Skye wrote: "How is the green challenge going for everyone? :)"

I'm not doing well this month. Only 2 books have fit into the tasks. I'm still trying, though, and hope to find another one or two before the challenge ends.

message 41: by Jenny (last edited Apr 02, 2012 06:43PM) (new)

Jenny (jennyc89) | 135 comments 1/1

A book with a green or gold title: Skinny Dip by Carl Hiaasen

message 42: by Rachel Jorquera , Moderator (new)

Petra wrote: "Rachel Skye wrote: "How is the green challenge going for everyone? :)"

I'm not doing well this month. Only 2 books have fit into the tasks. I'm still trying, though, and hope to find another on..."

No worries Petra! Do whatever you can :)

message 43: by Petra (new)

Petra Thanks, Rachel. I'm having fun and that's what this group is all about. I kind of enjoy the tough challenges. They make me look through my TBR list. :D

message 44: by Rachel Jorquera , Moderator (new)

Petra wrote: "Thanks, Rachel. I'm having fun and that's what this group is all about. I kind of enjoy the tough challenges. They make me look through my TBR list. :D"

Good! Great to hear! :D Keep it up!!

message 45: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (ineedlu) | 16 comments http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/10...

This is a cute little joke book, I actually got it for my boyfriend, as a "cheer me up", but it's really funny, and for March, thought I would share!

message 46: by Carrie (new)

Carrie (carrieaj) Finished this one

message 47: by Kel (new)

Kel | 66 comments I finished mine :) I could only read one book for this one. But hey that's one more off my list!!

message 48: by Teneal (new)

Teneal | 227 comments Done! With literally five minutes to spare! :)