Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Book Issues > Merging an Author's Legal and Penname

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lumumba (last edited Feb 22, 2012 09:36PM) (new)

Lumumba Shakur (lumumba_s) | 2 comments I apologize if this was answered already, but I am new to being a librarian. Is there a way to merge an author with their penname without renaming one set of published works? There is a particular author who has been published under both names, but is well-known by each of them. I saw that some people have worked around this by making a link to the other author, but I was wondering if there was a way that aliases are incorporated into authors names. Thanks.

message 2: by Peter (last edited Feb 22, 2012 09:42PM) (new)

Peter (pete_c) | 388 comments Lumumba wrote: "Is there a way to merge an author with their penname without renaming one set of published works?"

Not at this time. (There is talk of this being "in the works", but it has been that way for a long time.)

The currently accepted way of doing it is to put the author name the book was originally published under (be it a pseudonym or actual name) as the primary author and to put the author name the edition was actually published under as the next name. This allows all editions of the book to be combined under one author yet still allows the search function to find it under the other name.

Let me know if this wasn't clear, as I fear it may not be.

message 3: by Peter (new)

Peter (pete_c) | 388 comments Lumumba wrote: "I saw that some people have worked around this by making a link to the other author"

Author links are also usually placed (sooner or later) in the author's biography for ease of finding their other books.

message 4: by Lumumba (new)

Lumumba Shakur (lumumba_s) | 2 comments Peter wrote: "Lumumba wrote: "I saw that some people have worked around this by making a link to the other author"

Author links are also usually placed (sooner or later) in the author's biography for ease of fi..."

Okay. Thank you.