Historical Fictionistas discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Featured Author Group Reads > Featured Author Group Reads- 2012

Comments Showing 1-50 of 62 (62 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Jackie, That's Her Constableness to you! (new)

Jackie (thenightowl) | 2463 comments Mod
It’s that time again for our Featured Author Read!!

The purpose: The Featured Author Read is Historical Fictionistas way of introducing our members to authors who are in our group. It is also our way of showing thanks to authors who take time out of their busy schedules to participate in our group.

The schedule for this year is as follows:
March 15- April 15
June 15-July 15
Sept 15- Oct 15

Here is how it will work this year:

1] Authors: Please sign up in this thread to have your book entered into consideration for the group read. Please note that we will be looking for ACTIVE members before books will be eligible for discussion. This means you must have 25 or more comments in order to participate in the FA read. Spam posts do not count and will you get you deleted from the group, so please refrain from spamming the group just to get 25 comments in. If you currently don't have the required 25 comments don't worry! This thread will remain open the entire year. Once you've reached the required number of comments post your name and your book you would like to nominate in this thread. During the next Featured Author date I will check it and update accordingly.

For authors who were featured last year you can still participate this year if you have a new book that is coming out or you have a second book you would like featured. In the case of a new book , please let me know the release date so I can add you to the poll during that time.

2] All authors who sign up will have their name entered into a randomizer for each Featured Author month. This year we are heavily stressing participation. The more you participate throughout the year the more times your name will get thrown into the hat.

Names will be entered as follows:
25-100 comments= name entered once
100-199 comments= named entered twice
200 + comments= named entered three times

The top three names that come out of the randomizer will move onto the poll where members will get to vote on which one they would like to read for the month. I will post a picture of the randomizer with the names of the top three authors in this thread before I open the polls.

3] Once the group votes, we will do the group read as usual.
However, as some may not be comfortable with author participation, we will have two different discussion threads: one in which authors are allowed and encouraged to participate in the discussion, and an "Author Free" thread. The Author Free thread can be viewed by authors, but they can't participate in it. We want everyone to feel comfortable discussing the book that is chosen and we feel that this is a good compromise. :)

4] We would like to giveaway a copy of each featured book, but this is not guaranteed.
Authors: If you have a copy of the book that you are willing to give away if your book is chosen, please PM me with this information. Also , please let me know of any deals that you are willing to extend to our members. Please do not mention this in the thread as we want to keep all voting as fair as possible.

-----------------

Since the first featured read of the year is for March 15th all authors will have up to Wednesday, February 29th to sign up for this first round. I will post the top three winners of the poll the next day (March 1st) and post the poll on March 2nd so our members can vote on a winner. :)

-----------------

OK - I think that's most of the details covered. Let me know if you have any questions. You can either ask them in this thread or feel free to message me. Thank you all for your participation!

message 3: by Tina (new)

Tina Boscha (tinaboscha) | 15 comments Wonderful! Thanks for reopening this thread. I'd love to be a Featured Author.

Tina Boscha
River in the Sea - WWII, coming-of-age; based on true events
Amazon link

Thank you!

message 4: by Zoe (last edited Feb 23, 2012 04:28AM) (new)

Zoe Saadia (zoesaadia) Thank you for this wonderful opportunity :-)

I would be delighted to be featured with the first book in my pre-Aztec trilogy.
At Road's End is historical novel bordering with historical romance that deals with the fall of the Southwestern Cliff Dwellers (Anasazi).

Thank you :-)

message 5: by Libbie Hawker (new)

Libbie Hawker (L.M. Ironside) (lmironside) | 252 comments Yay, I'm glad the thread is open again! I don't know whether I'm up to 25 comments yet...I think I probably am. Or I'm close, anyway. :)

My book is The Sekhmet Bed, about the mother of Hatshepsut. Hatshepsut was the first woman to rule Egypt as Pharaoh, for those who are unfamiliar with the name.

Can't wait to see who's chosen! I'm sure it will be a fun read in any case. Zoe, I am definitely going to check out your book. I am crazy for good Native American and/or paleolithic fiction. Sounds right up my alley!

message 6: by Gordon (new)

Gordon Doherty | 14 comments Sounds brilliant. I'd love to be considered as a featured author with my Byzantine-era novel
Strategos - Born in the Borderlands

Cheers,
G

message 7: by Victoria_Grossack (last edited Feb 23, 2012 04:57AM) (new)

Victoria_Grossack Grossack (victoriagrossack) | -18 comments Please consider Jocasta: The Mother-Wife of Oedipus - it almost made it last year, but the story is classic, so it is just as timely.

For more information on our books, please see: www.tapestryofbronze.com

message 8: by Christina (new)

Christina Clair (christina777) | -11 comments Sign me up for my book, Unexpected Journey

message 9: by Andrew (new)

Andrew Levkoff (alevkoff) | 15 comments Thank you, your Constableness. My offering is The Bow of Heaven, a novel of late Republican Rome, which was just selected as one of two Editor's Picks at the Historical Novel Society's quarterly review.

message 10: by Donna (new)

Donna Morin | 8 comments I hope you find The King's Agent worthy. My fourth novel which has recently received a starred review in Publishers Weekly. An adventurous quest in Renaissance Italy with undercurrents of the supernatural, powers that could change the balance of supremacy throughout Europe. Thank you for the opportunity.

message 11: by JoAnn (new)

JoAnn Spears | 8 comments Hi Jackie!

Like Pam, I am new to this...do I need to be active specifically in this thread to qualify for the Featured Authors Read, or do posts in other historical fictionistas threads count as well? My book, Six of One, is a historical comedy about the Tudors.
Six of One

message 12: by Holly (new)

Holly Weiss (hollyweiss) | 305 comments Thank you for this post, Jackie. I would love for you to include Crestmont for the group's consideration.

message 13: by Jackie, That's Her Constableness to you! (new)

Joann wrote: "Hi Jackie!

Like Pam, I am new to this...do I need to be active specifically in this thread to qualify for the Featured Authors Read, or do posts in other historical fictionistas threads count as w..."

Posts in the group threads are what really count towards participation. If you have 25 comments by next week then you can qualify to get on the poll.

Right now I'm just adding everyone's name who is interested and then next week I will tally the comments to see who is eligible.

message 14: by Gary (new)

Gary Inbinder | 174 comments I'd be pleased if you'd consider my Neo-Victorian novel set in the late 19th century European Art world, The Flower to the Painter.

Thanks!

GaryThe Flower to the Painter

message 15: by Tami (new)

Tami Lynne | 25 comments I would also like to sign up! I have not gone through and calculated the amount of posts, but I think I am there and then some! I offer you

A Dreaming Moon by Tami Lynne

message 16: by Jackie, That's Her Constableness to you! (new)

Tami wrote: "I would also like to sign up! I have not gone through and calculated the amount of posts, but I think I am there and then some! I offer you

A Dreaming Moon by Tami Lynne"

Your book doesn't have a description?

message 17: by Susan (new)

Susan Spence | 3 comments Jackie,Thanks so much for entering me. I guess I better get busy posting.

message 18: by Jackie, That's Her Constableness to you! (new)

You're welcome Susan. :)

message 19: by Shomeret (new)

Shomeret | 248 comments Jackie wrote: "Tami wrote: "I would also like to sign up! I have not gone through and calculated the amount of posts, but I think I am there and then some! I offer you

A Dreaming Moon by Tami Lynne"

Your..."

As a librarian I was able to add a description to
A Dreaming Moonby Tami Lynne. I copied it from the publisher's website.

message 20: by Becky, Moddess (new)

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) | 3676 comments Mod
Thanks Shomeret! :)

message 21: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia Haggard (cynthiasallyhaggard) | 15 comments Thanks for doing this! I'd love to have one of my novels entered. I'm looking forward to the conversation, and to making new friends!

message 22: by Jackie, That's Her Constableness to you! (new)

Thank you Shomeret!

-----------

Cynthia, it looks like you have one novel and a series...which one did you want to nominate? Also, your books are missing descriptions.

Rose of Raby
Thwarted Queen

message 23: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia Haggard (cynthiasallyhaggard) | 15 comments Jackie,

Thanks for letting me know. I thought my books all had descriptions. The way I did my novel this first time was to offer it in its entirety (THWARTED QUEEN) or split it up into bits, offering a 4-volume e-book set and a 3-volume paperback set.

Am not sure what to offer. The whole book is long (about 478 pages). The bits appeal to different audiences, so before I tell you more, do you think HF would prefer e-books or paperbacks?

Thanks!

Best, Cynthia.

message 24: by Holly (new)

Holly Weiss (hollyweiss) | 305 comments Jackie,
Do you need a description of Crestmont to enter it? Thank you!

message 25: by Becky, Moddess (new)

Cynthia - this thread is just for sign-ups - please PM Jackie regarding that aspect.

message 26: by Becky, Moddess (last edited Feb 28, 2012 10:21AM) (new)

Holly, I don't think they are necessary to sign up, just for verification of genre and to help readers decide what to vote for.

If one can be added (if needed), that would be best though. :)

message 27: by Holly (new)

Holly Weiss (hollyweiss) | 305 comments Here is a short summary for the group's information. Crestmontis a historical fiction novel set at a bustling summer in during the 1920s. Opera, jazz, romance, bootlegging...Take a peek into the lives and loves of the staff.

message 28: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia Haggard (cynthiasallyhaggard) | 15 comments Becky wrote: "Cynthia - this thread is just for sign-ups - please PM Jackie regarding that aspect."

Sorry Holly. Am new to this. What does "PM" mean and how do I post to Jackie alone about this?

message 29: by Becky, Moddess (new)

Click on her profile picture to go to her account profile, and then click the link that says "send message".

That will send her a private message (PM).

message 30: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia Haggard (cynthiasallyhaggard) | 15 comments Becky wrote: "Click on her profile picture to go to her account profile, and then click the link that says "send message".

That will send her a private message (PM)."

Thanks!

message 31: by Jackie, That's Her Constableness to you! (new)

As of tonight here are the authors that qualify for the first round of FA:

Tina Boscha- 28 comments
Zoe Saadia- 48 comments
Lavender Ironside- 67 comments
Gordon Doherty- 25 comments
Victoria Grossack- 312 comments (3x)
Holly Weiss- 210 comments (3x)
Gary Inbinder- 28 comments

-------------------------------------------

Here is what the randomizer picked:
1. Victoria Grossack2
2. Gordon Doherty
3. Zoe Saadia

4. Gary Inbinder
5. Victoria Grossack1
6. Victoria Grossack3
7. Holly Weiss3
8. Tina Boscha
9. Holly Weiss1
10. Lavender Ironside
11. Holly Weiss2

Top 3 bolded authors will go onto the polls.

Congratulations Victoria, Gordon and Zoe! Best of luck!

Victoria_Grossack Grossack (victoriagrossack) | -18 comments Cool! Had no idea I was writing so much!

message 33: by Zoe (new)

Zoe Saadia (zoesaadia) So excited!!! :)

message 34: by Holly (new)

Holly Weiss (hollyweiss) | 305 comments Congratulations to Victoria, Gordon and Zoe!

message 35: by Zoe (new)

Zoe Saadia (zoesaadia) Thank you so much, Holly!!! :-)

message 36: by Sherry (new)

Sherry (msjones) | 53 comments Please enter me in future rounds for my new novel, Four Sisters, All Queens. Thanks so much!

message 37: by Jeff (new)

Jeff Foltz | 62 comments http://www.birkebeinerthenovel.com/. Please consider my book, Birkebeiner, A Story Of Motherhood And War, for future rounds of featured books. Thanks.

message 38: by Becky (new)

Becky Jackie wrote: "Authors who have signed up:

Tina Boscha- River in the Sea
Zoe Saadia- At Road's End
Lavender Ironside- The Sekhmet Bed
Gordon Doherty- Strategos - Born in the Borderlands
Victoria Grossack- Jocas..."

Having read the review, I added this book to my "to read" list and went to B&N to order for my Nook so I could read it on my upcoming vacation but, alas, it is not in Nook format yet. Though it remains on my list of books to read, it will have to wait.

message 39: by Jeff (new)

Jeff Foltz | 62 comments Becky wrote: "Jackie wrote: "Authors who have signed up:

Tina Boscha- River in the Sea
Zoe Saadia- At Road's End
Lavender Ironside- The Sekhmet Bed
Gordon Doherty- Strategos - Born in the Borderlands
Victoria ..."

This is unfortunate. I purposely took Birkebeiner off of B&Ns Nook to qualify it for the Kindle promotional program. The decision, based on who carries the book, seems a bit arbitrary and not in the spirit of Good Reads. I hope it changes.

message 40: by Becky, Moddess (new)

Jeff wrote: "The decision, based on who carries the book, seems a bit arbitrary and not in the spirit of Good Reads. I hope it changes. "

Jeff, I'm not sure what you mean by this. Which decision is based on "who carries the book"? What are you asking to be changed?

The Featured Author group read that we do here is not associated with Goodreads in any way, except that they provide the platform site for this group to exist. This is our group's way of giving author members a chance for their books to be read and discussed as part of the group, so the rules in place are our rules, not Goodreads.

I personally think that the selection process is quite fair, and gives those authors who participate here a greater chance of having their book selected. That is the main criteria for inclusion - not book vendor availability.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding your comment?

message 41: by Jackie, That's Her Constableness to you! (new)

Diana, it's one book per author. Do you want to pick which one? All 3 sound good :)

message 42: by [deleted user] (new)

Jackie - I'm sorry! (I shall work on my reading comprehension...)

Let's try A Killing Among the Dead
It's a shorter novel, specific in time, and based on a major scandal.

Diana

Victoria_Grossack Grossack (victoriagrossack) | -18 comments Jeff, I don't think it's reasonable to expect most readers - or even moderators - to understand the parameters put by the different publishers on authors in what they will and will not permit.

Amazon has the widest distribution and is using that advantage to flex its muscles.

message 44: by Jackie, That's Her Constableness to you! (new)

Diana wrote: "Jackie - I'm sorry! (I shall work on my reading comprehension...)

Let's try A Killing Among the Dead
It's a shorter novel, specific in time, and based on a major scandal.

Diana"

LOL. Thanks Diana. I've added you to the list.

message 45: by Zoe (new)

Zoe Saadia (zoesaadia) Becky wrote: "Jeff wrote: "The decision, based on who carries the book, seems a bit arbitrary and not in the spirit of Good Reads. I hope it changes. "

Jeff, I'm not sure what you mean by this. Which decision i..."

I think it was a sort of misunderstanding.

I guess Jeff thought you tried to pick the book for the next group read and not for the personal reading :)

message 46: by Jeff (new)

Jeff Foltz | 62 comments Becky wrote: "Jeff wrote: "The decision, based on who carries the book, seems a bit arbitrary and not in the spirit of Good Reads. I hope it changes. "

Jeff, I'm not sure what you mean by this. Which decision i..."

Forgive me if I misunderstood something. The implication I got was that because you couldn't find my book on Nook, it could not be considered for this period. My point is that if someone offers his or her work for consideration, the process of consideration should not depend on vendor availability. Saying it would not be considered because it was not on Nook, does smack of vendor availability being a criteia. Is one of the selection rules that it must be available on Nook?

message 47: by Becky, Moddess (new)

Umm... I think the Becky who mentioned not being able to find the book for the nook was a different Becky, not me, and not associated with selection of group read books in any way, other than being able to vote on them in a poll. That's probably the confusion here.

So, the short answer: No, book availability has nothing at all to do with the selection for the Featured Author group reads. You'd nominate your book, and then the only thing that we look at after that is that you've made the required minimum of non-spam comments, and then you're entered into the randomizer and the top 3 go onto the poll.

That's it.

message 48: by Jeff (new)

Jeff Foltz | 62 comments Becky wrote: "Umm... I think the Becky who mentioned not being able to find the book for the nook was a different Becky, not me, and not associated with selection of group read books in any way, other than being..."

Thanks for the clarification, Becky, and thanks for your efforts on behalf of writers. I sincerely appreciate it.

message 49: by Jackie, That's Her Constableness to you! (new)

Featured Author Read is coming up on June 15th. As of tonight here are the authors that qualify:

Tina Boscha- 28 comments
Zoe Saadia- 96 comments
Lavender Ironside- 76 comments
Gordon Doherty- 25 comments
Holly Weiss- 251 comments (3x)
Gary Inbinder- 54 comments
Tami Lynne – 26 comments
Jeff Flotz- 61 comments
Diana Wilder- 29 comments
Sherry Jones- 35 comments
--------------------------------------

This what the randomizer picked:
1. Sherry Jones
2. Lavender Ironside
3. Jeff Foltz

4. Holly Weiss3
5. Gordon Doherty
6. Tina Boscha
7. Holly Weiss2
8. Holly Weiss1
9. Gary Inbinder
10. Diana Wilder
11. Zoe Saadia
12. Tami Lynne

Randomized list generated Jun 4 2012 at 20:46:27

Top 3 bolded authors will go onto the poll, which I will be putting up tonight.

Congratulations Sherry Jones, Lavender Ironside and Jeff Foltz!! Best of luck!

message 50: by Michal (new)

Michal (binadaat) | 5 comments I'm new here. How do I get the books? thanks!
Michal

« previous 1
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.