Romance, Historical or Otherwise discussion

Books Like??? > I've been craving...

Comments Showing 1-32 of 32 (32 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

So. I read this book once about a hero/heroine who hooked up drunkenly and the girl ended up having a baby later without telling him, mostly because she couldn't remember him. He searches for her and can't find her. Years later they run into each other. I can't remember the title of the book, and I'm not really looking for it again, but any suggestions along a similar plot line? Mostly with the unknown baby father coming back into the picture years later?

Thanks a bunch!
-J

message 2: by Regina (new)

Regina (reginar) Kay read a book on this subject recently ......

message 3: by D.G. (new)

D.G. Here's a list of books with the Secret Baby trope.

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

Thank you so much for your help!

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) I'm going to spoiler tag it because it sort of has to do with one of our group's books and people may not want to know. J, you can look if you want.

(view spoiler)

message 6: by Leea (new)

Leea That's the book I thought of when I read J's post. haha!

message 7: by Kay (last edited Feb 24, 2012 02:11PM) (new)

Kay (calikay) | 1216 comments Regina wrote: "Kay read a book on this subject recently ......"

Yes, it was Take This Regret by Amy Lichtenhan but I didn't love it. I also read Nobody's Baby But Mine (Chicago Stars, #3) by Susan Elizabeth Phillips and Baby Be Mine by Paige Toon (which is the 2nd book of Johnny Be Good by Paige Toon . Also, there is Simply Irresistible (Chinooks Hockey Team, #1) by Rachel Gibson . There might be some others that I've read....I got to think about it.

message 8: by Kay (new)

Kay (calikay) | 1216 comments I'm bumping this thread...I'm in the mood for a secret baby themed book. Suggestions welcome :)

message 9: by Regina (new)

Regina (reginar) There is one in Virgin River!! Let me find the title .....

message 10: by Regina (new)

Regina (reginar) Here you go (I really liked this one) Angel's Peak (Virgin River, #10) by Robyn Carr

message 11: by Kay (new)

Kay (calikay) | 1216 comments Oh yay Thanks! Good to know there's one in Virgin River. That means I have to read books 7-9 before I can get to the secret baby!

message 12: by Leea (new)

Leea Hahaha! Lots of HR use that theme in their books. Not sure why, but I love it!!

message 13: by Kay (new)

Kay (calikay) | 1216 comments So true, Leea! HR does use that theme more than I can find in contemporaries.

message 14: by Kay (new)

Kay (calikay) | 1216 comments I decided to read about a secret baby in Almost Perfect (Fool’s Gold #2) by Susan Mallery . It's a small town romance set in Northern California. It's not as rural as Virgin River. In some ways it reminds me of Lucky Harbor Simply Irresistible (Lucky Harbor, #1) by Jill Shalvis and Whiskey Creek When Lightning Strikes (Whiskey Creek, #1) by Brenda Novak . So far the book is a light but I'm enjoying it enough.

message 15: by Regina (new)

Regina (reginar) I can't wait to hear what you think. I just received an arc for another book by her Three Sisters by Susan Mallery

message 16: by Kay (new)

Kay (calikay) | 1216 comments Have you read any books by her before, Regina? I've only read the first book of Fools Gold which was just okay for me. But I see her books all the time at Target and she seems to have a ton that she has written. She must have a good following.

message 17: by Regina (new)

Regina (reginar) This will be my first. She had a ton of books.

message 18: by Angie Elle (last edited Dec 14, 2012 10:13AM) (new)

Angie Elle (angieelle) | 602 comments Kay wrote: "Have you read any books by her before, Regina? I've only read the first book of Fools Gold which was just okay for me. But I see her books all the time at Target and she seems to have a ton that sh..."

I've read quite a bit of hers. Holly & Mistletoe is actually a story I read every year around this time.

I really liked her Marcelli Sisters of Pleasure Way trilogy: The Sparkling One by Susan Mallery The Sassy One (Marcelli, #2) by Susan Mallery The Seductive One (Marcelli, #3) by Susan Mallery

This series was also a good read: Delicious (Buchanans, #1) by Susan Mallery Sizzling (Buchanans, #3) by Susan Mallery Irresistible (Buchanans, #2) by Susan Mallery
Tempting (Buchanans, #4) by Susan Mallery

I'm not sure of the order, but I enjoyed them.

message 19: by Kay (new)

Kay (calikay) | 1216 comments Thanks, Angie. That is good to know. I will look to add more of her books to my list.

message 20: by Angie Elle (new)

Angie Elle (angieelle) | 602 comments Kay wrote: "Thanks, Angie. That is good to know. I will look to add more of her books to my list."

You're welcome! She's one of my faves. Her 'category' Silhouette romances are hit or miss for me, but her other ones are mostly hit!

The only series I read by her that I didn't like (and didn't even finish the first book) was the one about the sisters who owned a bakery. It didn't even seem to me like I was reading Susan Mallery at all when I read them.

message 21: by Brunhilde (new)

Brunhilde I have been craving my husband, oh wait, that wasn't the question. Sorry. I have been mentally rereading the Bronze Horseman. Any books like that one out there? Are Simmons other books good?

message 22: by Kay (new)

Kay (calikay) | 1216 comments I'm craving my husband too! LOL

I loved The Bronze Horseman but I haven't read any of her other books. Have you read Mistress of Rome (Rome, #1) by Kate Quinn ? I found that to be epic like TBH.

message 23: by Brunhilde (new)

Brunhilde Kay wrote: "I'm craving my husband too! LOL

I loved The Bronze Horseman but I haven't read any of her other books. Have you read Mistress of Rome (Rome, #1) by Kate Quinn? I found that to be epic like TBH."

A lot of people have mentioned the that series to me. But I feel a little burned out on ancient history. I also find it hard for writers to get the history right and that is a big deal for me.
Is it just epic? or moving and emotional gripping. I think what I love the most about TBH is how well Simmons she draws her characters. They are human, believable, and real. You can absolutely feel what they are feeling. Is it like that at all?

message 25: by Nadine (new)

Nadine | 26 comments Thank you for these wonderful sites

message 26: by Regina (new)

Regina (reginar) I hope they help!

message 27: by Kay (new)

Kay (calikay) | 1216 comments Brunhilde wrote: "A lot of people have mentioned the that series to me. But I feel a little burned out on ancient history. I also find it hard for writers to get the history right and that is a big deal for me.
Is it just epic? or moving and emotional gripping. I think what I love the most about TBH is how well Simmons she draws her characters. They are human, believable, and real. You can absolutely feel what they are feeling. Is it like that at all?
"

I think this book is moving and emotional. I wasn't sure what to expect when I picked this book up but the first few pages grabbed me and sucked me in. The heroine is a slave and she falls for a Gladiator which makes it impossible to be together. I can't say I know much about Greek history so I'm not sure how accurate the details are. I don't suggest you read the other books in the series though b/c those weren't as good as Mistress of Rome.

message 28: by Kay (new)

Kay (calikay) | 1216 comments Regina wrote: "Kay I found these lists:

http://www.rtbookreviews.com/content/...

http://www.amazon.com/s?ie=UTF8&p..."

Thanks, Regina! These lists are great. It's funny how many secret baby contemporary books are category romances...harlequin, Boones, Silhouette, etc.

message 29: by Regina (new)

Regina (reginar) It really is interesting. I can't wait to see what new books you dig up. You are so good at making discoveries for the rest of us. :)

message 30: by Kay (new)

Kay (calikay) | 1216 comments I hope to find something interestingly enough. I just have to decipher through the category novels as those are just too short for me.

message 31: by Brunhilde (new)

Brunhilde Kay wrote: "Brunhilde wrote: "A lot of people have mentioned the that series to me. But I feel a little burned out on ancient history. I also find it hard for writers to get the history right and that is a big..."

Thanks Kay, I just ordered it from the library. I need to get a great big pile of books for the holidays. Lots of travel and family obligations.

Regina, loved the list. Thank you as well.

message 32: by Kay (new)

Kay (calikay) | 1216 comments Brunhilde wrote: "Thanks Kay, I just ordered it from the library. I need to get a great big pile of books for the holidays. Lots of travel and family obligations."

I hope you like it! Please let us know what you think when you're done.