Jane Austen discussion

Can anyone tell me why...

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sophie (new)

Sophie | 1458 comments ... The 1999 Mansfield park is rated a 15!?!
How can Austen be a 15!!
Are there racy or disturbing scenes?
Considering watching and just want to be warned ;) and I was interested :)

message 2: by Nicole D. (last edited Feb 22, 2012 05:51PM) (new)

Nicole D. (thereadingrebel) | 80 comments what's a 15?Is it like PG-13 in America?

message 3: by Sophie (new)

Sophie | 1458 comments Really the Mansfield Park in which Johnny Lee Miller plays Edmund is rated 15 in England.
Have you seen it Nicole?
Are there any disturbing scenes?
I know there is something to do with slave trade in the book but yeah...

message 4: by LadyDisdain (new)

LadyDisdain I know, I was surprised too (I'm in New Zealand) and there is one scene that shows some skin so that's probably why. And also some crude drawings of the slaves, from what I can remember :S Not a lot though.

message 5: by Margaret (new)

Margaret Metz | 112 comments This particular adaption is not my favorite. I have it (because I'm slightly obsessed and it was on sale). I haven't seen it in so long that I only remember thinking that it seemed overly modern and not like Fanny Price - in character. She was ... more brash and confronting people more often if I remember right.

The 2007 version either isn't totally faithful either, but the characters are closer to how they were written. While the 2007 version may have Fanny a bit more forthright and show a romance developing before Austen's book would have given a shadow of a hint, the 1999 version seems to be writing about entirely different people.

Also, for the warnings - I found this under the '99 version: A woman's bare breast is visible for a few seconds in one scene of s**ual intercourse where a naked man is shown heaving between the thighs of a naked woman.

In one scene a woman is looking at drawings. One of the drawings shows a man raping a woman. His buttocks and her breasts are visible.

There is no such warning for the 2007 version.

message 6: by Tracey (new)

Tracey (stewartry) | 44 comments A sex scene? In a Jane Austen adaptation?! I remember people having fits over the kiss at the end of Keira Knightley's Pride and Prejudice ...

message 7: by Nicole D. (last edited Feb 23, 2012 05:28AM) (new)

Nicole D. (thereadingrebel) | 80 comments Don't Fanny and Mary kiss?I remember reading it in a book about everything Jane Austen that there was some kind of Fanny/Mary kiss in the 1999 version.

I also think I read somewhere that it is so crazy that some Jane Austen fans call it Wuthering Park(a play on Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte)

message 8: by Sophie (new)

Sophie | 1458 comments Lady Distain wrote - 'I know, I was surprised too (I'm in New Zealand) and there is one scene that shows some skin so that's probably why. And also some crude drawings of the slaves, from what I can remember :S Not a lot though.'
some skin haha!

Thanks you Margret and it doesn't seem worthy of a 15 in my opinion but thanks. so would you recomend the 2007 as the one to watch??

Tracey wrote - 'A sex scene? In a Jane Austen adaptation?! I remember people having fits over the kiss at the end of Keira Knightley's Pride and Prejudice ...'
I know!! In Austen!
and that is why i was glad that is ended before that in the 'english' version and was only included on the extra features as it is too raunchy for an austen however, on its own it is really romantic and i really love it.
For me, i would have liked a kiss, at the dawn moment maybe, as i like to have a kiss in the adapdtions - something inbewteen the english end and the US ending :)

Nicloce wrote - 'Don't Fanny and Mary kiss?I remember reading it in a book about everything Jane Austen that there was some kind of Fanny/Mary kiss in the 1999 version.'
Really?!!

'I also think I read somewhere that it is so crazy that some Jane Austen fans call it Wuthering Park(a play on Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte) '
Haha from comments on it that sounds possible ... :)

now which version to watch...