Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Book Issues > Updating Book Info not Taking

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

I updated this book's record today, changing the title and description:

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/14...

But for some reason, the old title (it's in the URL) isn't being detached from the book. Searching on the ISBN gives me the correct edition "Ein Feuerwerk für den Fuchs" and I can find this title correctly written when I go to the "combine editions" screen. But, I cannot search on the correct title.

I cleared my cache, and it's been longer than 10 minutes. Is this a bug, or a glitch of some kind?

message 2: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

rivka | 43589 comments Mod
For whatever reason, "Feuerwerk Fuchs" (without the quotes) works, although it brings up a different edition.

message 3: by vicki_girl (new)

vicki_girl | 2765 comments I just copied and pasted the full title into the search and it's working for me, pulling up the exact edition even. Maybe the search function just had a hiccup...

message 4: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

rivka | 43589 comments Mod
vicki_girl wrote: "I just copied and pasted the full title into the search and it's working for me, pulling up the exact edition even."

Me too, now. I did edit and re-save (without changes) earlier, which forces the search to re-index it, but I waited 15 minutes before searching. Maybe it needed 20. ;)

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

Well, it does work now, but it took about 4 hours for the book id to accept the new title. The old title was even showing up when I cursored over the "Other Editions" book covers. Definitely a hiccup. Thanks.

message 6: by Cait (new)

Cait (tigercait) | 5005 comments Jeannette wrote: "Well, it does work now, but it took about 4 hours for the book id to accept the new title. The old title was even showing up when I cursored over the "Other Editions" book covers."

That's caching on the webpages -- it ought to be unrelated to the search indexing. (And a secret about the titles in the URLs: nothing after the id number actually matters. You could make a URL for this book which says "http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1425487.Just_About_Anything" and it would work! The title is just included to make the URL friendlier-looking.)

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

Whatever the case, it refused go away. ;) I had to search on the ISBN or the "deleted" title to find the book. Some pointer to the old title was clinging on, rather tenaciously. I waited 3 hours between the time I updated the record to the time I posted here.