Number the Stars Number the Stars discussion

The title

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

LeeAnna I just read this yesterday and I don't quite understand why it is titled what it is. Can anyone shead some light on this for me? Thanks!

Rashae Welll. I'm not too sure either. I think it's because all of the Jews have a star necklace and they need to find or count all of the Jews. If that helps.

LeeAnna oh! I hadn't thought of that. I was thinking it had something, maybe, to do with them passing through the woods at night..

message 4: by Dee (new) - added it

Dee the majority of Jews wear a Star of David (the 6 pointed star). the same star was also used on clothing to represent jews (yellow), as well as various other colors (IIRC pink was homosexuals, white was political prisoners maybe). So I just figured number the stars had something to do with that

Emily It was probably named that because, as other people have said before me, the Jews wore a six pointed star and they were most likely counted at some point in history (probably to see how many were dead but...) and they were also numbered in concentration camps.

Sara To add to the great comments here, when I hear this title, I always envision a photo I saw from the first soldiers who found the concentration camps of a huge pile of Jewish jewelry, much of which constituted the gold star necklaces that were given to many children at Bar Mitzvahs and other special occasions. And all I could think about was the fact that all the owners of that huge pile of jewelry were dead. It was heartbreaking and is still one of the most haunting photos because it was all so anonymous and massive.

message 7: by E. (new) - rated it 4 stars

E. I would think that the title is what it is because of the fact that it is about the Jewish people.

message 8: by Maisie (last edited Mar 01, 2012 08:39AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Maisie I assumed the title came from the bible in Genesis, when God promises to Abraham that his family/lineage will be so great that it'd be impossible to number, much like us counting the stars.

"And he brought him forth abroad, and said, Look now toward heaven, and tell the stars, if you are able to number them: and he said to him, So shall your seed be. - Gen. 15:5 "

message 9: by Laura (last edited Oct 10, 2012 03:03PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Laura Maisie wrote: "I assumed the title came from the bible in Genesis, when God promises to Abraham that his family/lineage will be so great that it'd be impossible to number, much like us counting the stars..."

I agree with Maisie's assessment. Jews are sometimes referred to as the sons/daughters of Abraham.

In the bible passage, G-d tells Abraham that he will have so many children, he won't even be able to number them (just like there are so many stars, it's impossible to number them).

It's a heartbreaking title for the book, because as we know, about two thirds of the entire Jewish population of Europe were killed in the WWII Holocaust. In some countries, over 95% of the Jewish population were murdered.

What had once seemed like an impossible task (counting the number of Abraham's children/Jews), sadly became devastatingly easy.

Because so many Jews were killed, counting them was no longer an impossible task. In short, one could "number the stars."

Laszlo They read "Number the Stars" in the book, in fact.

message 11: by Erin (new) - rated it 5 stars

Erin According to the author:

"The story's title is taken from a reference to Psalm 147, in which the writer of the book relates that God has numbered all the stars in the universe. It is meant to tie into the Star of David, specifically to Ellen's necklace, which is symbolic to the story."

Amber Ummm. . . . It

Amber Sorry! Hit the wrong button! Haha
The reason of the title is in the book! It is as simple as that.

Maddison is beautiful

Julia Because she is Jewish, Ellen is, and she has a necklace and it has a star on it and her friend, Annemarie keeps it until she sees Ellen again

Marta Pastori actually, it comes from history accounts, the Nazi had ordered for all the jews to wear a easly visible star of david on their clothes, so it comes from that.

this doesnt relate but it is a fact that shows how smart king Christian was. he ordered that every single citizen must wear a star, so the nazi get confused, because they never said that other ppl must not wear the stars!

message 17: by Lisa (last edited Apr 15, 2013 04:19PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lisa Ninian wrote: "According to the author:

"The story's title is taken from a reference to Psalm 147, in which the writer of the book relates that God has numbered all the stars in the universe. It is meant to tie ..."

You are right Psalm 147:4

Jessica In the story at Aunt Bertha's funeral, the psalm is read that says "number the stars" and it also has to do with the Jewish stars the Jews were required to wear on all articles of clothing.

Isabelle Jews were tattooed on their arms with numbers. Therefore they are "numbered". Jews also were forced to wear the Star of David on their clothing. Therefore they were the "stars". So in conclusions, the stars (Jews) were being numbered. "Number the Stars"