Science and Inquiry discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Book Club 2012 > April 2012: Book Club Selection

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Betsy, co-mod (new)

Betsy | 1705 comments Mod
It's time to think about what we want to read for April 2012. Please post your recommendations Below, by March 5, 2012. If you're looking for ideas, don't forget that there are many possibilities in the group bookshelves; if the book is not in the Book Club folder then we haven't read it as a group yet.

message 2: by Jenny (new)

Jenny Hemming The 4 Percent Universe: Dark Matter, Dark Energy, and the Race to Discover the Rest of Reality

I've just started this: the mystery about where the rest of the Universe, the 4% being all the stuff we actually know about including us. It's very readable so far.

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (susannag) | 368 comments Death by Black Hole: And Other Cosmic Quandaries, by Neil deGrasse Tyson.

Looks very interesting.

message 4: by Daniel (last edited Feb 22, 2012 03:44PM) (new)

Daniel | 106 comments The Drunkard's Walk: How Randomness Rules Our Lives by Leonard Mlodinow (Co-Author with Stephen Hawking of The Grand Design)

I've been wanting to get around to this one for a while now.

message 5: by Boots (new)

Boots (rubberboots) | 1 comments I know this one has been suggested before but I'm going to suggest it again mostly because I haven't gotten around to reading it yet and I'd like to. Incognito: The Secret Lives of the Brain

message 6: by Betsy, co-mod (new)

Boots wrote: "I know this one has been suggested before but I'm going to suggest it again mostly because I haven't gotten around to reading it yet and I'd like to. [book:Incognito: The Secret Lives of the Brain|..."

We welcome re-nominations. Often a book is selected the second or third or fourth time around. If it's something you really think we should read, keep at it.

message 7: by David (new)

David Rubenstein | 900 comments Mod
Susanna wrote: "Death by Black Hole: And Other Cosmic Quandaries, by Neil deGrasse Tyson.

Looks very interesting."

Susanna, that is an excellent book. I'm sorry to say, that it was already our Book of the Month back in 2009. We had neglected to put it on the group's bookshelf. :-(

Please nominate another book!

message 8: by Pete (new)

Pete | 16 comments I saw Debating Science: Deliberation, Values, and the Common Good at the book store the other day and it looked fascinating. I think everyone would enjoy discussing it.

message 9: by Jerry (new)

Jerry Daniel wrote: "The Drunkard's Walk: How Randomness Rules Our Lives by Leonard Mlodinow (Co-Author with Stephen Hawking of The Grand Design)

I've been wanting to get around to this o..."

I'd like to second this choice. I've had this on my list too.

message 10: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca (rhouseman) | 4 comments "Taking Wing" by Pat Shipman about the paleontology of bird flight.

message 12: by Possum (new)

Possum Paderau (tacotime) Daniel wrote: "The Drunkard's Walk: How Randomness Rules Our Lives by Leonard Mlodinow (Co-Author with Stephen Hawking of The Grand Design)

I've been wanting to get around to this o..."

This book is really good, so I third that suggestion.

message 14: by Phylwil (new)

Phylwil | 19 comments Ooooo, Quirk sounds good. I think that one will get my vote.

message 15: by Autumn (new)

Autumn   (sweetdenial) | 1 comments Phylwil wrote: "Ooooo, Quirk sounds good. I think that one will get my vote."

Ditto.

message 16: by Brad (new)

message 17: by Eric (new)

Eric Bingham | 72 comments Rebecca wrote: ""Taking Wing" by Pat Shipman about the paleontology of bird flight."

Here's the link for this book: Taking Wing: Archaeopteryx and the Evolution of Bird Flight. At least I think that's the right one.

message 19: by Betsy, co-mod (new)

NOMINATIONS ARE CLOSED.

You can vote on the poll here:

http://www.goodreads.com/poll/show/62...

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.