Justin Torres
This topic is about Justin Torres
Ask... Justin Torres

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Simon (new)

Simon (savidgereads) | 449 comments Mod
Dear All,

If all goes to plan (its 90% likely) we will have Justin Torres, debut author of 'We The Animals' (which I currently cannot put down - only just managed to type this) will be appearing on The Readers at the start of March.

Would you like us to ask him anything?

Bestest

Simon

message 2: by Elizabeth☮ (last edited Feb 23, 2012 01:25PM) (new)

Elizabeth☮ wow! oh my goodness. now this i have to hear!

my questions for torres are:

is poetry a part of his background? i felt that many of the passages in his book are poetic in nature and could be part of a poem.

how did growing up in upstate new york help to shape the setting of his story?

he touches on the issue of teen pregnancy peripherally. how does he think this will affect the next generation of kids being raised by kids?

the last third of the book comes as something of a surprise. did he intentionally leave out hints in the rest of the book? why give us the last portion of the book without much history?

ultimately, this book is about shared history and how it can bring a family closer in spite of differences. does torres have close bonds with his own siblings? what is the source of the relationships depicted in the book?

i am making an assumption that torres is latino. i like that this particular novel doesn't necessarily become an autobiographical depiction of growing up as such. how important does he feel it is to weave in his own cultural history into his work? what does he think of current latino writers out there?

what does he typically like to read? how does this drive his own creative process?

message 3: by Katy (new)

Katy | 8 comments I'm almost done with We the Animals, and am really enjoying it. I am interested in hearing whether Torres feels that his experiences in writing courses or programs influenced his novel; is his style, particularly the short-story/episodic structure of We the Animals, informed by his time in various courses and programs? How does he teach writing to his students? Looking forward to the interview!

message 4: by Simon (new)

Great questions, I will see which ones of these we can throw in the mix, will do my best.

message 5: by Tasha (new)

Tasha I'm hoping to read ths one before the listen to the podcast. Have heard great things about it!

message 6: by Simon (new)

Its great and a book you can read in a few hours, I'll though I would hazzard a gues you will want to read it again after.

message 7: by Tasha (new)

Tasha Hahaha! :) now I think I should run out to the library tomorrow! :)