Strangers on a Train Strangers on a Train discussion

Help Me Find the Next Great One!

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Matt (new)

Matt I'm looking for the next great riveting book (or series) to read. What I love most in a book is twofold: 1) Compelling, well-realized characters and 2) Masterful storytelling. The last 2 series I read that wowed my socks off were Harry Potter and Game of Thrones. (It's not essential to me that they be fantasy or sci-fi. Just turns out these were.)

I hate, absolutely hate, airport novels. Vapid characters and transparently hack uses of plot devices that are ridiculous in the light of credible motivation. Right now I'm reading The Passage, by Justin Cronin, and it's just pissing me off --as did Boneshaker, by Cherie Priest, just before that. The characters are cardboard cutouts and I find myself skipping over whole paragraphs because they don't have anything to say.

To Kill a Mockingbird, most of Patricia Highsmith, works that really breathe and sing. Somebody help me, please.

Keith Try James Lee Burke's Dave Robicheaux series - great writing, fascinating characters, wonderful description of the environment.
Or try John Sandford's 'Prey' series - an interesting lawman based in Minnesota. He's smart, the plots are well-handled and the books can occasionally be very, very funny. He writes well about people in a work environment - here, it happens to be in the police force. His follow-on series about Virgil Flowers are also a fun read.
If you haven't already done so, you could try Vonnegut's Slaughterhouse 5 or Joseph Heller's Good as Gold. Both hilarious but from different perspectives.

Rick Homan Good suggestions there from Keith. I have enjoyed Burke and Sandford. Michael Connelly is an author who wins my trifecta: plot, character and theme -- good at all three. Try his series with L. A. homicide detective Harry Bosch.

Janet Hatcher Have you read Highsmith's Ripley series? LOVE. THEM. You may like Raymond Chandler's Philip Marlowe novels, although not technically a "series," but riveting all the same. Chester Himes also has a great Harlem detective series (i.e. A Rage in Harlem, The Real Cool Killers, etc.) Don't let the "genre" turn you off--these are important literary works, all excellent writing.