Glens Falls (NY) Online Book Discussion Group discussion

Movies, DVDs, and Theater > Movie: "Twilight"

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Joy H., Group Founder (last edited Dec 06, 2008 06:50PM) (new)

Joy H. (joyofglensfalls) | 16697 comments During this group's first Movie-Meet, we saw the film: "Twilight".

To see the discussion, see messages number 11 & 12 at the following website, named:
"Movies and Theater > Have you seen any good movies lately?" ====>
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/7...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comments about the movie can be posted either here or at the above website.
Have you seen the movie or read any of the "Twilight" series?

message 2: by Katie (new)

Katie Like I've said before, I'm utterly addicted to these books, the movie, Rob Pattinson, and the fact they filmed it in Oregon:) Anyone want to travel to Oregon and stalk some Vampires? Just kiddin:)

message 3: by Joy H., Group Founder (last edited Dec 06, 2008 08:01AM) (new)

Joy H. (joyofglensfalls) | 16697 comments I'd like to travel to Oregon, Katie, but I don't like to fly. If I were one of Stephenie Meyer's vampires, I could appear in Oregon without even flying. In her "Twilight" books, she certainly has changed the definition of vampires.

How do you folks feel about that? Do you prefer the traditional vampire or the new style of vampire which Stephanie Meyer has created?

message 4: by Joy H., Group Founder (last edited Dec 06, 2008 06:47PM) (new)

Joy H. (joyofglensfalls) | 16697 comments For folks who prefer to talk about "Twilight" under our books category, below is a link to that topic, named:
"Books by Title/Title=topic name > _The Twilight Saga_ by Stephenie Meyer": ====>
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/8...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

message 5: by Joy H., Group Founder (last edited Dec 06, 2008 06:45PM) (new)

Joy H. (joyofglensfalls) | 16697 comments "Twilight is also being discussed at the following topic of this group:
"About Books and Reading > What are you reading these days?"
Below is the link: ====>
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/7...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

message 6: by Jackie (last edited Aug 28, 2009 08:18PM) (new)

Jackie (thelastwolf) | 4050 comments I saw the movie with Joy, and I loved it. I have since bought it and watched it about 5 times, as well as read the entire series.
I think Stephenie Meyer stuck to the traditional vampire themes for the most, with a few unique changes which I approved of. I can hardly wait for the next in the series to come to theaters in November
Here's a clip of New Moon:
http://www.worstpreviews.com/trailer....

And a newer one:
http://www.worstpreviews.com/trailer....

You'll have to see a 15 second commercial first.

message 7: by Joy H., Group Founder (last edited Aug 29, 2009 05:40AM) (new)

Joy H. (joyofglensfalls) | 16697 comments Jackie wrote: "I saw the movie with Joy, and I loved it. I have since bought it and watched it about 5 times, as well as read the entire series.
I think Stephenie Meyer stuck to the traditional vampire themes f..."

Thanks for the clips of "New Moon", Jackie!

message 8: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (thelastwolf) | 4050 comments Are you going to see it, Joy?

message 9: by Joy H., Group Founder (new)

Joy H. (joyofglensfalls) | 16697 comments Jackie wrote: "Are you going to see it, Joy?"

I'll put it on my DVD queue (release date, unknown). After I see it, I'll let you know if you've created another "Twilight" fan. :)
I watched the clips. Does all that impossible jumping through the air ever seem silly to you? Maybe I'm not ready for science fiction yet.

Anyway, below is the Netflix description:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The Twilight Saga: New Moon(2009) NR
In this sequel to Twilight (based on Stephenie Meyer's popular novels), Bella Swan (Kristen Stewart) is reeling from the departure of her vampire love, Edward Cullen (Robert Pattinson), and finds comfort in her friendship with Jacob Black (Taylor Lautner). Before she knows it, she's thrust into a centuries-old conflict, torn between the memory of her one, true love and the affections of her best friend.
Genre: Vampires, Teen Screams, Dramas Based on Bestsellers"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

message 10: by Jackie (last edited Aug 29, 2009 11:55PM) (new)

Jackie (thelastwolf) | 4050 comments Joy wrote: Does all that impossible jumping through the air ever seem silly to you?

In real life I'd find it odd, and in a normal movie character, but Jacob's not 'normal', he's a werewolf so I find it acceptable. I want to see all aspects of this extraordinary creature he has become.

I love special effects even though some are unrealistic. I'm not really looking for realism in all movies, I have enough reality in reality, LOL

message 11: by Joy H., Group Founder (last edited Aug 30, 2009 10:06AM) (new)

Joy H. (joyofglensfalls) | 16697 comments Jackie wrote: "...In real life I'd find it odd, and in a normal movie character, but Jacob's not 'normal', he's a werewolf so I I find it acceptable. I want to see all aspects of this extraordinary creature he has become.
I love special effects even though some are unrealistic. I'm not really looking for realism in all movies, I have enough reality in reality, LOL "

OK, we're back with the idea of stretching the imagination, as Jim suggested in the topic at:
http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/1...
(Post #30)

I guess I have to learn to "suspend disbelief", as they say. I've done it with other genres, but not with science fiction... yet. :)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
QUOTATION:
"That willing suspension of disbelief for the moment, which constitutes poetic faith."
-Samuel Taylor Coleridge (1772-1834), Biographia Literaria, chapter 14, 1817
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

message 12: by Jackie (last edited Aug 30, 2009 10:42AM) (new)

Jackie (thelastwolf) | 4050 comments I've liked sci fi and horror since I was a kid, so I guess it's natural for me just go with it. I see it less as 'suspending disbelief' and more as creativity and imagination.

I really don't know how I'd feel about sci fi if I were coming into it as an adult, it would probably be difficult if it's not what you're used to. All I can say is, I'm really glad I'm a life long sci fi geek, it's given me enourmous amounts of pleasure on both the page and the screen.

A lot of sci fi isn't what the uninitiated think, if it's good, it'll make you think...deeply. Often, there's a story beneath the story you're reading or watching. And those are the best reads in the world!

message 13: by Joy H., Group Founder (new)

Joy H. (joyofglensfalls) | 16697 comments Jackie wrote: "I've liked sci fi and horror since I was a kid, so I guess it's natural for me just go with it. I see it less as 'suspending disbelief' and more as creativity and imagination. I really don't kn..."

I see your point, Jackie.

As time goes by, perhaps I'll try to delve more into science fiction. In the back of my mind, I've always wanted to try it, but other books have gotten in the way, so to speak. As you know, I'm going to start with _This Immortal_ by Roger Zelazny, as soon as the library fulfills my reserve request.

message 14: by Earl (new)

Earl (read_for_entertainment) | 375 comments I managed to resist Twilight in the theater as I judged it was aimed at 12 year old girls. But with Jackie and Joy talking it up I finally rented it from RedBox today. Guess it IS for 12 yr old girls, cause they don't need captions. I spent 20 minutes trying to turn them on. I DID find the menu, set at 'NONE' and no way to bump it. This was a Summit Entertainment DVD, and cheap and cheesy it was. If they don't have captions they should tell you up front. It's like those gas stations that won't tell you their printers are broken until AFTER you pump the gas. I give Twilight a couple of stars. Glad I only spent $1 on it. I've seen worse vampires. The lack of captions were a BIG detraction for me.

message 15: by Joy H., Group Founder (new)

Joy H. (joyofglensfalls) | 16697 comments Earl wrote: "I managed to resist Twilight in the theater as I judged it was aimed at 12 year old girls. But with Jackie and Joy talking it up I finally rented it from RedBox today. Guess it IS for 12 yr old girls, cause they don't need captions. ... ... The lack of captions were a BIG detraction for me."

I'm always disappointed when a DVD doesn't have captions. In fact, I won't do the Netflix streaming because they don't provide captions. I especially need captions to understand some of the British accents.

message 16: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (thelastwolf) | 4050 comments I like having the option. Too often the 'background' music drowns out the dialogue and I have to use the caption button so I can hear it. And I have excellent hearing, so I know it's not me. It's an annoying thing that seems to be happening more and more frequently.

Twilight is definitely appealling to teenage girls, but I liked it and so did my husband and son.

Glens Falls (NY) Online Book Discussion Group

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

This Immortal (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Roger Zelazny (other topics)