SA Book & Challenge Lovers discussion

Other Discussions & Chats > Sales and Special Offers

Comments Showing 1-50 of 400 (400 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8

message 1: by Crusader (last edited Feb 22, 2012 11:14AM) (new)

Crusader (crusaderza) | 2453 comments Mod
I thought it would be a good idea to have a thread where we can share sales or special offers.

[Note to authors: This is not the place to promote your own books. Please stick to appropriate thread for that.]

The Book Depository has The Fall for $4.63 - over here. It's the follow-up to The Strain which quite a few of us have read.

Kalahari.com has up to 80% off books. There's some nice deals there, so worth a look.

message 2: by Claudia (new)

Claudia (claudiavstoomanybooks) | 1779 comments www.loot.co.za has free shipping at the moment and most of the books are discounted a little.

No huge savings, but nice if you're getting only one book or so and the shipping would've added a substantial amount to the total.

message 3: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Smith At the Book Lounge in Cape Town:

Wednesday, 29 February - Sunday, 4 March: LEAP YEAR SALE!
Yes, Wednesday, 29 February will see the start of our Leap Year Sale - while jumping up and down in excitiement, we will be marking down a lot of stock by up to 40%, so if you've always had your eye on that one title, but had to grimace at the price... do come in to see if it's on the sale!
Sale stock will be clearly marked and on tables in the downstairs area of the shop. We're excited - and you should be too!

AND: to make it even more exciting, for one day only, on Wednesday 29 February itself, we will also offer 10% off everything else in the shop.
So yes - a leap year only comes around every 4 years: make sure you make the most of this one!

message 4: by Crusader (last edited Mar 23, 2012 01:41AM) (new)

Kobo has an awesome deal where you can get any ebook in the Hunger Games series at a discount of 85%. I picked up the Hunger Games Trilogy (containing all 3 books) for $5.02! It normally retails for $33.49 ($30 on Amazon). Offer details on my blog

Unfortunately you'll have to have an ePub capable reader or app to make use of the offer (or have knowledge about how to strip DRM and convert to a Kindle format).

message 5: by Lu (new)

Lu | 12655 comments Mod
That's a great deal!

I would have gotten it if I didn't have all 3 books on my shelf :)

message 6: by Crusader (new)

Hey, at that price you could just as well get the ebook version as a mobile backup! ;)

message 7: by Liezel (new)

Liezel (liezkl) | 736 comments Kalahari's deal of the week:
Buy 5 books for only R125 (& free delivery)
Buy any 5 books from this catalogue for only R125. Please note that 5 books need to be added to your basket for the offer pricing to kick in. Note that these prices are available on a limited quantity of stock, which is allocated on a first pay first served basis. Basket items are not reserved and your purchase is only secure after it has been processed and invoiced. Terms and conditions apply

message 8: by Lu (new)

Lu | 12655 comments Mod
Oooooh!

message 9: by Claudia (new)

Claudia (claudiavstoomanybooks) | 1779 comments That is so mean! I already bought all the Deon Meyer, Byleveld and that overpriced Patricia Cornwell books. *Gives Kalahari a dirty look*

message 10: by Lu (new)

Lu | 12655 comments Mod
There are some awesome books! Getting :)

message 11: by Claudia (new)

Claudia (claudiavstoomanybooks) | 1779 comments Some of the books aren't changing to R25 - already sold out or just me? Can someone please check : Val McDermid Retribution from that list. :(

message 12: by Lu (new)

Lu | 12655 comments Mod
you have to have 5 in your basket for it to change

message 13: by Liezel (new)

Liezel (liezkl) | 736 comments If it doesn't change, then it's sold out.

message 14: by Lu (new)

Lu | 12655 comments Mod
Also if you have 6 in your basket - 5 will go to 25 and the other one normal price

message 15: by Claudia (new)

Claudia (claudiavstoomanybooks) | 1779 comments Thanks.

message 16: by Lu (new)

Lu | 12655 comments Mod
My pretties :)

Photobucket

message 17: by Claudia (last edited Mar 26, 2012 05:18AM) (new)

Claudia (claudiavstoomanybooks) | 1779 comments Photobucket
I took too long to decide and one of the books I wanted wasn't available any more. So I just added the first thing I saw - Melissa Marr Box set. Don't know what's in there, Googled the ISBN but hmmm.

**Edit
Saw it at TakeAlot. It has : Wicked Lovely, Ink Exchange, Fragile Eternity, Radiant Shadows, Darkest Mercy.

message 18: by Lu (new)

Lu | 12655 comments Mod
Wow that is a nice boxset! 5 books for R25? You can't go wrong :)

We might need to make Divergent a group read :P

message 19: by Claudia (new)

Claudia (claudiavstoomanybooks) | 1779 comments I've been putting it off for so long (got the ebook ages ago), a group read might be just the thing.

message 20: by Lu (new)

Lu | 12655 comments Mod
Sweet will nominate it when the time comes :)

Anyone else get anything?

message 21: by Liezel (new)

Liezel (liezkl) | 736 comments Will second the Divergent nomination, since I got it as well. Cant get into photobucket at work :( Also got

Prince of Thorns (The Broken Empire, #1) by Mark Lawrence Graveminder by Melissa Marr Reamde by Neal Stephenson The Desert Spear (Demon Cycle, #2) by Peter V. Brett

message 22: by Crusader (new)

I can't seem to checkout. The Kalahari site isn't working for me. :(

message 23: by Lu (new)

Lu | 12655 comments Mod
Yea I'm also struggling! I think it might be overloaded :(

message 24: by Crusader (new)

Argh... I'm so gonna hate them if I lose my basket.

message 25: by Lu (new)

Lu | 12655 comments Mod
I'll go off, maybe that helps :P

message 26: by Nadine (new)

Nadine May (nadinemay) | 41 comments If anyone lives in Cape Town, visit the Wisdom Cave library in Clovelly. http://www.clovellywisdomcave.com we have lots of books for 10% up to 50% discount.
if you visit our SA website: http://www.kimaglobal.co.za you will find even more specials!

message 27: by Lu (new)

Lu | 12655 comments Mod
I just got my package and the books are sooo pretty!

message 28: by Chrizette (new)

Chrizette | 906 comments Mine STILL says "ready to pack" :(

message 29: by Lu (last edited Mar 29, 2012 12:44AM) (new)

Lu | 12655 comments Mod
:( What did you order?

message 30: by Crusader (new)

I've received one order, one is en-route and the biggest order has been saying "ready to pack" for two days now.

The first order was amazing service since I got it the following day. The rest are a disappointment though since they were ordered just a few hours after the first one.

I think they got overwhelmed with order quantities. I saw on Tuesday morning they had over 2000 items and by the end of the day it was down to 400 or so.

Guess we'll have to be patient. *Grumbles*

message 31: by Chrizette (new)

Chrizette | 906 comments Fateful
Hereafter
The Mall
The Tomorrow Code
and a Copic (non-fiction) book.

Can't wait for it to arrive!

message 32: by Chrizette (new)

Chrizette | 906 comments Crusader wrote: "I've received one order, one is en-route and the biggest order has been saying "ready to pack" for two days now.

The first order was amazing service since I got it the following day. The rest are ..."

I am dissapointed as it said "one day delivery" and I was naive enough to get my hopes up.

message 33: by Crusader (new)

Chrizette wrote: "I am dissapointed as it said "one day delivery" and I was naive enough to get my hopes up. "

Yeah, that's what irks me too. Don't advertise a service you can't provide, or at least keep your customers informed.

I've emailed them to see what the delay is.

message 34: by Lu (new)

Lu | 12655 comments Mod
I wanted to get these too! Enjoy :)
Hereafter
The Mall

message 35: by Chrizette (new)

Chrizette | 906 comments Crusader wrote: "Chrizette wrote: "I am dissapointed as it said "one day delivery" and I was naive enough to get my hopes up. "

Yeah, that's what irks me too. Don't advertise a service you can't provide, or at lea..."

Let us know what the reply is.

message 36: by Crusader (new)

Chrizette wrote: "Let us know what the reply is. "

Will do. That's if I get a reply.

message 37: by Claudia (new)

Claudia (claudiavstoomanybooks) | 1779 comments In my experience it usually takes Kalahari a week to respond to emails. So I wouldn't get your hopes up.

My orders shipped on Tuesday, but SpeedServices website won't open so I don't know if they've arrived yet. Will go check at the Post Office tomorrow.

message 38: by Crusader (new)

Just got a shipment notification for the last package. Hopefully I'll have it tomorrow night.

I must say that I had a very quick response from them for an email I sent on Monday. They came back to me that same afternoon. Today's email, not so much.

I'm just happy the package shipped.

message 39: by Chrizette (new)

Chrizette | 906 comments Even though my order still says "ready to be packed" - it arrived this evening! Yay!! Very excited!

message 40: by Lu (new)

Lu | 12655 comments Mod
Whohoo that is great news!

message 41: by Chrizette (new)

Chrizette | 906 comments Lu wrote: "Whohoo that is great news!"

I have never received a package with 5 books! Wow :) It is great!!

message 42: by Crusader (new)

Chrizette wrote: "I have never received a package with 5 books! Wow :) It is great!!"

Ha, ha ha ha ha....

message 43: by Chrizette (new)

Chrizette | 906 comments Crusader wrote: "Chrizette wrote: "I have never received a package with 5 books! Wow :) It is great!!"

Ha, ha ha ha ha...."

Dont laugh, Crusader! I know 5 books are nothing for you! :)

message 44: by Crusader (last edited Mar 29, 2012 11:10AM) (new)

Chrizette wrote: "Dont laugh, Crusader! I know 5 books are nothing for you! :)"

That's why I'm laughing. At my own folly and complete addiction when compared to sane people. You'll see what I mean when I put a new arrival post together.

message 45: by Barbara (last edited Mar 29, 2012 12:25PM) (new)

Barbara | 4434 comments Mod
I once (about 3 years ago) got a package of books and I had to get it at the postofice since I wasn't home when they tried to deliver it. Normally I don't mind doing that since it is about a 10 minutes walk to my nearest post office. But when the postal worker got the package from the back I was terrified and didn't know how to get it home. It was that big. Once I got it home and opened it there were 21 books in there. I must say I got quite the work out that day.

message 46: by Lu (new)

Lu | 12655 comments Mod
Lol the post office worker must have wondered what was in it!

message 47: by Barbara (new)

She did look a bit funny, but she didn't say anything :)

message 48: by Chrizette (new)

Chrizette | 906 comments Wow, 21 books! Must have been heaven! I got ANOTHER package yesterday with three more review books. This has been an amazing week!

message 49: by Barbara (new)

Yeah it was, but I do regularly place large orders for books and I must say the best is always Bookdepository. Since they dispatch most of there books in seperate envelopes there are times when my hallway is filled with lots and lots of delicious envelopes containing a book that I can then unpack seperately and all day long. The most I got on one day was 10 envelopes. That is true heaven :)

message 50: by Claudine (new)

Claudine | 163 comments LOL! 21 books wow! I might use Kalahari again. First time I used them this week during their special R25 for 5 books sale. Their prices have normally been way more expensive than others.

However, now that our kitchen and study cupboards have finally been installed (don't ever attempt to use Easylife Centurion!) I can finally unpack 6 boxes of books I brought up from Cape Town when we moved here 7 years ago. Yes, some of those books have not been seen in 7 years!

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8