Literary Exploration discussion

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Melki (new)

Melki | 205 comments It's been established, through a book review no less, that Kim, Xeni and I like The Decemberists.

What music does everyone enjoy?

message 2: by Melki (last edited Feb 23, 2012 02:31AM) (new)

Melki | 205 comments I like The Who, Motown and other oldies, and yes - I still have vinyl!

I'm happy to say I have no idea what Justin Bieber sounds like.

As far as new stuff, I used to like Florence and the Machine, but since my teenager started listening to her... she just doesn't seem that cool anymore.

message 3: by Sandie (new)

Sandie | 39 comments I listen to pretty much everything (Rock, Instrumental, Pop, Mellow, Electric, Metal, J-rock, J-pop, K-rock, K-pop, Spanish pop, Country, Oldies) except rap. I love rock music (Anberlin, Breaking Benjamin, Hinder, Three days grace, 3 doors down, Theory of a Deadman, Taking Dawn, Apocalyptica, Company of Thieves, Pop Evil, etc). I recently discovered Lacuna coil which is an Italian gothic metal band with a great beat and vocals.

message 4: by Kim (new)

Kim I'm in to a bit of everything really but am mainly into indie, ie. The Decemberists, The Shins, Okkervil River, etc.

message 5: by Adrian (new)

Adrian (adrianbarnes) | 4 comments I listen to all sorts of music. Favourites include the Kinks, Elbow, Thelonious Monk, Nick Drake, Bob Dylan, and the Smiths. Lately, however, I've become obsessed by the idea that the 68-74 Rolling Stones are, in fact, the greatest 'rock' band ever...

message 6: by Dan (new)

Dan Raymo (dan_raymo) | 3 comments I like most music (including the Decemberists)...I try to keep my ear to the ground for new stuff... my latest favorite new song is Little Talks by Of Monsters and Men

message 7: by Celeste (new)

Celeste (chete) | 7 comments I love music, I basically love a little bit of everything. Right now I'm Really like Ray LaMontagne, The Black Keys, and I've always been obsessed with Ella Fitzgerald.

message 8: by Franky (new)

Franky I like mostly classic rock (Journey, Foreigner), alternative rock (Chevelle, Foo Fighters, Three Doors Down), some harder style rock, some indie or softer alternative (The Airborne Toxic Event). I tend to like acoustic stuff too, love finding acoustic unplugged versions of songs.One of my favorite CDs is a acoustic concert of Pearl Jam which I love to listen to when traveling. I'm a big fan of the grunge style (Pearl Jam,Soundgarden, Nirvana, Stone Temple Pilots, etc) from the 90s. What I'm not much into is rap.

message 9: by Michael, Mod Prometheus (new)

Michael (knowledgelost) | 1255 comments Mod
I'm a huge Chevelle, it's pretty much all I've been listening to the past few weeks

message 10: by Tasha (new)

Tasha I like classic rock, hard rock, punk, heavy metal, and classical.

message 11: by Mary, Quiet Observer (new)

Mary (fruity) | 128 comments Mod
Melki, if you like Motown, do you know human nature? They've been doing stuff with Smoky Robinson for the last few years. I've been a fan since I was a teenager but they now insist on constantly repeating Motown that they now make me a little sad.
I can be a bit eclectic in my taste of music. Mostly been listening to christian stuff lately for work so my play list is full of Matt maher and Rob Galea.
I also like Kate miller heidke, Ingrid michaelson, mumford and sons, gotye, Washington, death cab for cutie,

message 12: by M.L. (last edited Feb 25, 2012 09:19AM) (new)

M.L. | 309 comments Adele, Michael Jackson, The Stones, Francis Cabrel; big band Jazz; and recently discovered that I like Frank Sinatra.
Classical - Vivaldi; soundtrack from Amadeus; opera - Farinelli il Castrato.

message 13: by Annapurna (new)

Annapurna Barry (_annapurna) | 3 comments Top four favourite bands: The Smiths, Interpol, Joy Division, The Cure.

Some other stuff: Bombay Bicycle Club, George Harrison, Neutral Milk Hotel, Yeah Yeah Yeahs, The Thermals, Django Django.

message 14: by Franky (new)

Franky Knowledge Lost wrote: "I'm a huge Chevelle, it's pretty much all I've been listening to the past few weeks"

Yeah, I really like their stuff, too many songs to list. To me they are one of the most underrated rock bands ever. They have a DVD out of a live performance in Chicago called Any Last Words that I've been checking out on youtube. Pretty cool concert.

message 15: by Michael, Mod Prometheus (new)

Michael (knowledgelost) | 1255 comments Mod
Franky wrote: "Yeah, I really like their stuff, too many songs to list. To me they are one of the most underrated rock bands ever. They have a DVD out of a live performance in Chicago called Any Last Words that I've been checking out on youtube. Pretty cool concert. "

I will have to check it out

message 16: by Graham (new)

Graham (giraham) | 19 comments My dad brought me up on stuff like Led Zep, Joe Cocker, Beatles, Clapton, Bob Dylan, Janis Joplin, Hendrix, The Clash etc, then I got into punk as a teen, which I still lisen to alot.

These days I listen to that still but way more acoustic/folk and blues stuff, even some reggae, because that's what I like to play myself, especially stuff with harmonica.

And I hated the Rolling Stones until I randomly saw Stones in Exile and I bought Exile on Main St and thought it was great. Jagger is still a massive tool though Keef rules on guiitar.

Oh and I'm wearing an Elvis Costello shirt today.

message 17: by Melki (new)

Melki | 205 comments Mary - thanks for the human nature recommendation. I watched a few of their videos on You-Tube. It's always nice to listen to people who can really SING.

I have to agree with you on the Boron thing too.

message 18: by Celeste (new)

Celeste (chete) | 7 comments Flash Beagle wrote: "Adele, Michael Jackson, The Stones, Francis Cabrel; big band Jazz; and recently discovered that I like Frank Sinatra.
Classical - Vivaldi; soundtrack from Amadeus; opera - Farinelli il Castrato."

Me and my family are obsessed with Michael. Frank Sinatra is definitely one of our favorites as well.

message 19: by Sonali (new)

Sonali V I love Dylan, have to listen to him after listening to others.Beatles,CCR and Fogerty himself,Garth Brooks,Presley,Clapton, Knopfler,Lobo,Don Maclean,Adele,Billy Joel,Sprinsteen,Bryan Adams,Leonard Cohen,Old and new country songs, Blues, in fact melody and good lyrics work for me.I get updated by my son and students and listen to their recommendations. If it suits my taste I carry on listening.Oh forgot to mention The Eagles, Bee-Gees,Mumford and sons,some of Lady Anti bellum,John Mayer....