City of Ghosts (Downside Ghosts, #3)
This topic is about City of Ghosts
THE FIRST THREE > CITY OF GHOSTS

Comments Showing 1-30 of 30 (30 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Stacia (new)

Stacia Kane (staciakane) | 157 comments Mod
Just what it says in the title!

Sharon ∞❥ is an emotional book junkie ❥∞ Chess' and Terribles whole journey. Some parts were hard to take but i loved it.

message 3: by Yodamom (last edited Feb 24, 2012 07:46AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Yodamom The church the princess, grrrrr, her betrayal, her emotion retardation (yes i would say so), her steps to the edge....amazing. I felt so satisfied with the ending, i could breath again. yes once again LOVED IT
Chess and Terrible are so wonderful together. They are almost compete when together. they fill each others dark places with some light. Lex is sexy, passionate and has what she needs,and she needs.

midnightblooms | 11 comments spoiler: (view spoiler)

Stacia writes these powerful, evocative moments of pain for these characters. It breaks my heart. And then they pull themselves back up time and time again a little more broken in some ways but in other ways fixed and a lot stronger.

Jennifer (thebooknympho) In the middle of it. It's so heart breaking.

Angry hot sex. Sadness afterwards.
Hot bathroom sex.

Carla | 2 comments Of the 3 this is my favorite so far! The absolute intensity those crazy hot scenes add to the overall flavor, oh so delicious. The emotion that Chess is smoldering with, reflected back with the stoic mannerism of Terrible makes me want to just scream! I also love all the stuffed toads, the "twisted handless deformed" children of Maguinness. Just wondering what the next one has in store for us.

Laura *Little Read Riding Hood* (lauralittlereadridinghood) | 148 comments I was at an event tonight, and heard the song "I want to be your Dog" and all I could think of was Chess running into the bathroom crying and everything that follows. I must have looked like and idiot. :-)

Jennifer (sadstrumpetjenny) Just finished for the third time, sigh. Now I am all set for tomorrow!

message 9: by Ferdy (last edited Mar 26, 2012 05:36PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ferdy (ferdy21) | 42 comments City of Ghosts is my fave in the series..so far anyway. I love the angst and pain between Chess and Terrible. Most authors tend to write about being betrayed/lied to/hurt and then just brush it under the carpet, so it just makes the reader feel cheated..especially when all you've been waiting for a confrontation and/or seeing the damage/change in a realtionship when someone's hurt/lied or betrayed the other person.
It was great to read how Terrible and Chess's relationship changed and how they argued and dealt with one another.

Hi Stacia! I just wanted to ask a question or two about Terrible: What did Terrible think and feel when Chess told him she was in the fire at the slaughterhouse and that she tried to call him and found out his number was no longer in use??
Why didn't Terrible give his new number to her after finding out what happened to Chess? Did he want to give it her? or was he just too angry and mad to even think about it??

Laura *Little Read Riding Hood* (lauralittlereadridinghood) | 148 comments Ferdy wrote: "City of Ghosts is my fave in the series..so far anyway. I love the angst and pain between Chess and Terrible. Most authors tend to write about being betrayed/lied to/hurt and then just brush it und..."

It's my favorite too! And those are great questions ... I wonder about that each time I read the book. And also, when did he change his number?

Ferdy (ferdy21) | 42 comments Laura wrote: "Ferdy wrote: "City of Ghosts is my fave in the series..so far anyway. I love the angst and pain between Chess and Terrible. Most authors tend to write about being betrayed/lied to/hurt and then jus..."

Yea, C of G is the best:) I think he must have changed it after finding out about Chess's sexy Lexy time..

Laura *Little Read Riding Hood* (lauralittlereadridinghood) | 148 comments But she had been calling him after they left the hospital and he wasn't taking her calls ... so sometime between there and the slaughter house he changed it. I am just wondering the timeline.

message 13: by Stacia (new)

Ferdy wrote: "Hi Stacia! I just wanted to ask a question or two about Terrible: What did Terrible think and feel when Chess told him she was in the fire at the slaughterhouse and that she tried to call him and found out his number was no longer in use??
Why didn't Terrible give his new number to her after finding out what happened to Chess? Did he want to give it her? or was he just too angry and mad to even think about it??"

Oh, he felt horrible when he found out. But also meanly vindicated; remember, he was trying at that point--still--to make her think he didn't care about her anymore, so there was a flash of "See, that's what you get when you betray me; I'm not there to help you" kind of pettiness. But mostly horrible. And guilty, and sick.

And he didn't offer it to her at that point because he felt it would have been giving her too much after what had just happened in the tunnel. He was fighting so hard with himself, basically, and because of what had just happened--what he'd basically just admitted to her even though he hadn't wanted to, which was that no matter how much he was denying it he was still crazy about her--he thought if he gave her his number it would look like he wanted to talk to her and make her think he was ready to forgive her. Which he wasn't.

But finding out she'd been in the fire, which he realized when he came to pick her up at her place, was also a small part of what made him vulnerable in the tunnel to begin with; it was part of the reason he was so nasty to her in the car and in the building before they went down into the tunnel.

He changed his number at some point in the week or so before she got assigned the case; she gave up calling him after ten days/two weeks or so out of the hospital, but at that point he'd already decided he needed to change it. So she gave up just before he changed it; he didn't want to see her calls but he also didn't want to wonder why she wasn't calling, if you know what I mean. :-)

Jennifer (thebooknympho) Stacia wrote: "Ferdy wrote: "Hi Stacia! I just wanted to ask a question or two about Terrible: What did Terrible think and feel when Chess told him she was in the fire at the slaughterhouse and that she tried to ..."

My mouth dropped open when Chess found out that Terrible changed his number.

Laura *Little Read Riding Hood* (lauralittlereadridinghood) | 148 comments Me too! I couldn't believe it ... but I totally got it. I never thought he had that in him!

Laura *Little Read Riding Hood* (lauralittlereadridinghood) | 148 comments Listening to the end ... Terrible's speech ... *sigh* :-)

Ferdy (ferdy21) | 42 comments Stacia wrote: "Ferdy wrote: "Hi Stacia! I just wanted to ask a question or two about Terrible: What did Terrible think and feel when Chess told him she was in the fire at the slaughterhouse and that she tried to ..."

I felt so sorry for Chess when she tried to ring him..even if she deserved it.
I wanted to ask: Was Terrible sleeping with anyone after finding out about Chess and Lex??
What made Terrible forgive Chess..her saving his life? her nearly dying? Was it anything specific or just a combination of things?

message 18: by Stacia (last edited Apr 03, 2012 09:53AM) (new)

Ferdy wrote: "I felt so sorry for Chess when she tried to ring him..even if she deserved it.
I wanted to ask: Was Terrible sleeping with anyone after finding out about Chess and Lex??
What made Terrible forgive Chess..her saving his life? her nearly dying? Was it anything specific or just a combination of things?"

He did sleep with Sela in between, yes. And anyone else he could get his hands on, basically. :-) Mostly as a form of revenge and to try to convince himself he was over Chess/to try to forget about Chess. Whether or not he was actually *thinking* about Chess while with those other women is another story, though. ;-) That's why Amy stopped seeing him a couple of weeks before UM (he mentioned Chess at a rather inopportune moment, and Amy was sick of hearing about Chess anyway so that was the final straw, which I don't think anyone can blame her for; Terrible certainly didn't, although you'll notice that when Chess asked about Amy in UM he didn't actually tell her that Amy no longer wanted to see him, but just says he hasn't seen her in weeks).

He'd always had a few girls he dated casually, who he genuinely liked but didn't have any really intense feelings for. Mostly they dated him because they genuinely liked him as well (but keep in mind how powerful he actually is in Downside, too, which he at least believes/believed is mainly why they dated him). None of them knew him as well as Chess or saw as many of the sides of himself as he showed Chess, though.

And it was a combination of things that made him forgive her:

That she saved his life in UM, yes, especially given that how she did it was such a serious crime and he knew/knows how much the Church means to her, so for her to betray that was a big deal for him.

What she told him in the tunnel about how & why she started up with Lex; he did believe her, and when he thought about it he realized that none of the things he'd told her had backfired--like no information he'd given her seemed to have been acted on--which made him think maybe she was telling the truth about never having passed on any of that info.

It was how totally emotional/desperate she actually got in the tunnel, because while he knew she was/is a good liar he didn't necessarily think she was *that* good.

It was the sex, of course, not just how passionate it was or how he completely lost himself or how clearly she wanted it as bad as he did, but that it proved to him that he really couldn't get over her so easily, and he was totally shaken by it/after it. And felt guilty about it, too.

How she took the insults etc. he threw at her and how genuinely apologetic she seemed.

The argument in the car, too, and the things she said and--again--how genuinely apologetic and upset she was, and how well she knew/understood him. Her point about how if he didn't still care about her none of that would bother him really hit home.

How when he saw her get hurt--the wounds on her wrists at Bump's place, for example, right at the beginning--it still upset him and his first instinct was to help her/take care of her.

How guilty he felt about changing his number when he realized she'd tried to call him for help from the slaughterhouse.

Her telling him she wasn't seeing Lex anymore; he wasn't sure he believed her but it made an impression that she was telling him, that she wanted to tell him.

Seeing her at Chuck's, because he was jealous when she started flirting with the guy beside her, and pissed off, and just when he was starting to think maybe she really *was* flirting with that guy the song came on, and she clearly remembered--which was a big deal to him, that she remembered--and her facial expression totally changed, and she ran away. And at that point he basically just kind of thought "Fuck it," heh, because he couldn't stop thinking about her anyway. The car argument was the first moment where he really started to think he might--MIGHT--be able to forgive her one day, but Chuck's was when he realized he actually was sort of starting to forgive her, because he just couldn't get her out of his head. (And when he went into the bathroom there he meant to just talk to her some more, but as soon as he saw her--and saw she'd been crying--that wet right out the window and he realized what he'd *really* come in there for.) He fell in love with her during UG--well, no, he *started* to fall for her during UG, but he actually put a name to it between UG and UM--so he'd been semi-obsessively fantasizing about her for months at that point. So it was extremely hard to turn away from something he'd wanted so bad for so long.

And really, he couldn't completely believe he'd been as wrong about her as it appeared to him that he'd been, or at least he didn't want to believe it. Because he'd trusted her so much, so it was hard to think he'd really been such a bad judge of character and so wrong. So her explanation in the tunnel kind of fit in with exactly the sort of scenario he'd been "hoping" for when he was thinking of a way he could have not been so stupid and misled. No matter how little he thinks of himself/his intelligence--and he does--he couldn't believe he'd just imagined that connection between them and he knew he didn't imagine how truly good she always made him feel. And her explanation fit in with what he knew of Chess, as well; it made sense to him given what he knew of her and the way she divorced sex from emotion. He also knew she'd still been picking men up on occasion in the time between Chester and the graveyard, so unless she was leaving the bar with these guys just for show and then ditching them, obviously she didn't take her relationship with Lex that seriously.

Certainly their discussion in the bathroom there made a difference as well, and her attempts at total honesty.

The fact that she told him she loved him was very important; again, that was something he'd essentially dreamed about hearing for ages. He knew how hard that was/would be for her to say, too. And to have her say it there and then, when there didn't seem to be anything she could gain from it and no reason for her to say it other than to just honestly say it, and then she didn't try to call him or get in touch with him after the battle was over--she left the ball in his court--made him think she might really mean it.

Seeing her with Lex did make a difference, because it was obvious that there wasn't some kind of deep love relationship there. The fact that Lex backed off and let Terrible pick Chess up told him something about how Lex saw his own relationship with Chess. And although Terrible wouldn't let him, Lex did try in his own semi-clumsy, semi-arrogant way while the two men were driving around to let Terrible know that he and Chess had never been anything serious, and that it was always obvious to him that she'd had some sort of special closeness with/special feelings about Terrible. He didn't manage to say much without Terrible telling him to shut up, but he did try. He did manage to make it clear how Chess totally freaked out when Terrible got shot.

And finally, yeah, all of that was stuff for him to think about, and he would have come around eventually, but when he thought she was dead...that really clinched it for him. Because when he left her at Lauren's he was still determined that he wasn't going to forgive her so quickly, that he was going to make her work for it, that he was going to hold her at bay for a bit. But then he thought she was dead and felt sick and scared and alone and miserable, and it was so painful. And he started thinking about how little time they might have anyway (given that neither of them lead exactly safe lives), and that he was wasting it being angry at her for something that was a huge betrayal, yes, but one he believed she honestly hadn't intended to be such a huge betrayal; he believed her when she said she'd been planning to end it with Lex and be with him. That made him realize that as angry and upset as he'd been he'd never seriously believed it was totally over between them, and if he felt that way what was he waiting for? He wasn't lying when he said he wasn't sure he could believe her, but he wanted to try, because he'd realized that not trying was worse. And like I said in another reply--and like he said in CoG--he really had missed her horribly, and had felt so empty without her (just the way she'd felt without him). He'd picked up his phone to call her dozens of times, he'd lurked around the Market hoping to catch a glimpse of her without even admitting to himself that's what he was doing, he'd driven past her place telling himself it was to see if Lex was there and kill him but really that wasn't the reason at all, he'd lain awake for hours at night trying to think of something else but not being able to, he'd drunk more than usual trying to think about something else and not been able to, he'd found people to beat up for practically no reason and been rougher with people for smaller debts than he usually would be...he was just miserable, basically, and he didn't want to be that way anymore, not after realizing how much worse it would be if she was honestly not around anymore forever.

So...all of those things. And really, he just loves her, and it's hard to stay mad at someone you love that much even when you know you should and even when you're so hurt and upset. He tried, he honestly did, but ultimately he just couldn't stay away.

Emily | 110 comments Stacia wrote: "Ferdy wrote: "I felt so sorry for Chess when she tried to ring him..even if she deserved it.
What made T..."

I must admit I love your replies! Wow you even answered a question that I wanted to know but did not want to post cause I have posted so many ;) I wanted to know what Edsel meant when he said, Terrible running around acting like his dog died.........well you just answered it :) HAHAHAHHAHA I also thought Terrible felt more hurt from the knowledge that she went right to Lex bed after he told her his feelings. When he figured that out my heart bleed for him!

HeatherJay | 2 comments Stacia wrote: "Ferdy wrote: "I felt so sorry for Chess when she tried to ring him..even if she deserved it.
What made T..."

Thanks, Stacia! This totally made my morning!!!!!!

Sharon ∞❥ is an emotional book junkie ❥∞ Another thanks for all the great info. I loved reading all those things about how Terrible felt!

message 22: by Mona (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mona Bliss (missblissreads) | 75 comments Oh Stacia that was an awesome reply! It was like getting a little Terrible POV on it all.

Ferdy (ferdy21) | 42 comments Stacia wrote: "Ferdy wrote: "I felt so sorry for Chess when she tried to ring him..even if she deserved it.
What made T..."

Love Love Love the reply Stacia..thank you so much!! It's so great to get Terrible's POV on the situation. LOL at Terrible and Amy and him maybe shouting out Chess's name whilst having sex with Amy:) I find it really sad but also very sweet that Terrible was miserable and lonely without Chess..I'm so glad he gave Chessie a second chance.

Laura *Little Read Riding Hood* (lauralittlereadridinghood) | 148 comments Oh my gosh. That was *alomost* as good as reading a book. Goosebumps and everything. I really need ... WE really need something from Terrible's POV. Like now. ;-) Pretty pretty please with sugar on top?

toofondofbooks | 22 comments Thank you Stacia! You are amazing:) Thanks for giving us behind-the-scenes tidbits. As everyone else said, that totally made my day!!!

Ezinwanyi Chinyere I was prepared to quit this series after book 1. The whole heroine "crackhead" thing wasn't working for me. But 2 weeks later and I am about to read Book 4 (Sacrificial Magic)--LOL!
There is something so engaging about Chess' personal journey as well as her journey with Terrible. Also, I feel like the Church and their "Truth" is coming apart at the seams and I really want to witness their "facts" unravel.

I think I will go ahead and read book 4 tomorrow after I re-read some favorite passages in City of Ghosts

message 27: by Emily (last edited Apr 16, 2012 06:42AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Emily | 110 comments Ezinwanyi wrote: "I was prepared to quit this series after book 1. The whole heroine "crackhead" thing wasn't working for me. But 2 weeks later and I am about to read Book 4 (Sacrificial Magic)--LOL!
There is someth..."

I always tell people not to give up after book one. Some people have issue with the drug thing and the slang but those I pushed ended up LOVING the series :)

Ezinwanyi Chinyere I usually give books 2 tries. I can tell after Book 2 if I will like the series. So I am glad I read book 2. That made the difference for me.

toofondofbooks | 22 comments I felt the same way in the beginning of book 1, I felt like in no way could I relate to Chess. The first chapter had me going "Really? A druggie ghostbuster? This is what I'm reading about?". If I hadn't had it on audio and nothing else to listen to, I might have stopped after the first few chapters, but then it sucked me in (I think it was about the time she and Lex were in the tunnels for the first time going home from her abduction that I realized I was hooked). Now its one of my favorite series and I'm recommending it left and right;)

Jennifer (sadstrumpetjenny) toofondofbooks wrote: "Really? A druggie ghostbuster? This is what I'm reading about?"

LOL.