Unholy Magic (Downside Ghosts, #2)
This topic is about Unholy Magic
THE FIRST THREE > UNHOLY MAGIC

Comments Showing 1-50 of 165 (165 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4

message 1: by Stacia (new)

Stacia Kane (staciakane) | 157 comments Mod
Questions/discussion about UM here!

Alexa (Once Upon a Chapter) | 4 comments I LOVED it!

SPOILERS
However, I was heartbroken during the second half of the novel when Terrible finally told Chess how he feels and she shot him down. Then the graveyard scene where he saw her humping on Lex and figured out that right after he told her he wanted her she went to have sex with Lex! Broke my heart!

I have to say my favorite scene, other than where Terrible tells Chess how much he likes her, is when Terrible and Chess are getting close when she is marking him before their grand adventure into the whore house. This scenes was so great to see them get close and I actually liked that Terrible was an ass and told her that he could give her pills in exchange for sex later on that night. Showed how much Terrible loves her that he couldn't bring himself to hit her back. Sigh I love Terrible now and have The Fever! I can't wait to see if they can finally get together in book three!

Sharon ∞❥ is an emotional book junkie ❥∞ i agree w/u Alexa...loved those parts too.

Jennifer (thebooknympho) LAMO. You paint quite a picture of Bump in his pink furry zebra print pjs. He just screams PIMP.

Jennifer (thebooknympho) UGH! Just finished up the roof scene between Chess and Terrible.

I definitely have the Terrible Fever!

Jennifer (thebooknympho) Finished up the audio tonight. DANG. I've got to finish up some homework and another book then I'm staring City of Ghost. Already bought it from audible.com.

Laura *Little Read Riding Hood* (lauralittlereadridinghood) | 148 comments Jennifer (a.k.a The Book Nympho) wrote: "Finished up the audio tonight. DANG. I've got to finish up some homework and another book then I'm staring City of Ghost. Already bought it from audible.com."

I am a little jealous of you right now. I wish I were reading the books for the first time so close to SM coming out; the wait wouldn't be as bad! :-) Enjoy!

Jennifer (thebooknympho) Laura wrote: "Jennifer (a.k.a The Book Nympho) wrote: "Finished up the audio tonight. DANG. I've got to finish up some homework and another book then I'm staring City of Ghost. Already bought it from audible.com..."

I want to start City of Ghosts NOW but I need to finish up the book I reading right now.

Is there a big cliffhanger at the end of CoG? If so I might try to wait to mid March to listen to it so I don't have to wait as long.

message 9: by Jennifer (last edited Feb 24, 2012 05:59AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jennifer (thebooknympho) Alexa (Pages of Forbidden Love) wrote: "I LOVED it!

SPOILERS
However, I was heartbroken during the second half of the novel when Terrible finally told Chess how he feels and she shot him down. Then the graveyard scene where he saw h..."

I listened to the grave yard scene 2 times. My heart just broke so many times for Terrible during this one. And it broke a little for Chess but I was also pissed at her too.

I also loved the part when she was marking him and him asking her how many pills it would cost him to sleep with her. OUCH. But she deserved it. And it shows how much he really cares for her if he is hurt this bad by what she did.

I just knew before the book was over one of them would be badly hurt because that is the only way I thought that Terrible would have anything to do with her. I figured she would be the one badly hurt.

message 10: by Jen (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jen Davis (redhotbooks) Jennifer (a.k.a The Book Nympho) wrote: "Is there a big cliffhanger at the end of CoG? If so I might try to wait to mid March to listen to it so I don't have to wait as long.

No... no cliffhanger on CoG at all. In fact, an amazing ending.

Yodamom Omg this one throttled my heart with one big stick ! Could Chess have been more destructive ? I don't know, she does bring it on and deal with it. I went through a box of tissues -Tear jerker +
Loved it, it made me feel.

Jennifer (thebooknympho) One thing I love about this series is that Chess and Terrible do not get together in the first book. I think it's more interesting when it takes a few books to get the couple together (FEVER series for example).

Jennifer (thebooknympho) Jen wrote: "Jennifer (a.k.a The Book Nympho) wrote: "Is there a big cliffhanger at the end of CoG? If so I might try to wait to mid March to listen to it so I don't have to wait as long.

No... no cliffhange..."

You're killing me. LOL

And there are two shorts I can read while I wait for the audio for SM.

message 14: by Jen (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jen Davis (redhotbooks) Yes!! (**Sigh**) I loved "Home"!

midnightblooms | 11 comments Gah, yes. I loved this book. Yodamom was right on, "It made me feel." But I wanted to yell at Chess so much through the book. "What are you doing? You are screwing it up!" Then I sobbed like a baby at the graveyard scene.

message 16: by Mona (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mona Bliss (missblissreads) | 75 comments The first time I listened to this book I had to stop during the withdrawal scene. That scene still kills me, when Terrible shows up and she says, "I can't, shit I'm sorry, thank you, please help me thank you so much...please Terrible I'm so sorry...". Turns me inside out every time.

Jennifer (thebooknympho) I love how Stacia made us wait to see who she called for help. But really there was no doubt who the he was that she called.

LOVE TERRIBLE!

Yodamom I know sniff, sniff, what a scene. "What are you doing? You are screwing it up!" Then I sobbed like a..."

message 19: by Mona (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mona Bliss (missblissreads) | 75 comments So here is a question for Stacia about all the Downside books: How did you come up with the slang? It feels so organic to the world but also recognizable as any urban slang anywhere. Did you write a Downside slang dictionary that you use to make sure it stays consistent? Because I am amazed by the word combinations and choices. They always feel right but I wouldn't have seen them myself. Things like, "Whatany" or "weselves". The use of the word "chatter" just makes me gleeful (sorry it's true I'm a total word geek) because its meaning and its sound are so similar.

Laura *Little Read Riding Hood* (lauralittlereadridinghood) | 148 comments Jennifer (a.k.a The Book Nympho) wrote: "Jen wrote: "Jennifer (a.k.a The Book Nympho) wrote: "Is there a big cliffhanger at the end of CoG? If so I might try to wait to mid March to listen to it so I don't have to wait as long.

No... n..."

But I don't know how long Home will be available, and you have to read it after your finish the series up to this point. :-)

Sarah (SB) ღ | 91 comments Yodamom wrote: "I know sniff, sniff, what a scene. "What are you doing? You are screwing it up!" Then I sobbed like a...""

I actually had to force myself to take a small break here....I was making myself ill, jaw locked up tight, not enough air, blurry eyed. I went outside for a few mins to remind myself that I wasn't actually there, stuck,sick and f**king it all up with her.

Laura *Little Read Riding Hood* (lauralittlereadridinghood) | 148 comments I have a question, I have noticed that several people have said they listened to the books. Did you buy an audio book? Did you use a specific publication with a specific reader? Are there more than one, and if so, is one better than another? I am thinking about listening to them, after having read them twice. I think it would be fun to hear Downspeak spoken aloud.

message 23: by AH (new) - rated it 5 stars

AH I just read the Downspeak out loud to my husband, who then rolls his eyes and asks me how I can read these books.

Yodamom I got 2 through audio.com and the other one from my library. I use my ipod or my sanza player (cheap and wonderful) Check your library if you already have the books, almost all library's now have extensive ebook/audio listings.Laura wrote: "I have a question, I have noticed that several people have said they listened to the books. Did you buy an audio book? Did you use a specific publication with a specific reader? Are there more than..."

message 25: by Jennifer (last edited Feb 26, 2012 03:31PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jennifer (thebooknympho) Laura wrote: "I have a question, I have noticed that several people have said they listened to the books. Did you buy an audio book? Did you use a specific publication with a specific reader? Are there more than..."

I got my copies through audible.com and then after the download I put it on my ipod or iphone and listen to them.

Jennifer (thebooknympho) AH wrote: "I just read the Downspeak out loud to my husband, who then rolls his eyes and asks me how I can read these books."

Anytime my husband rolls his eyes at my books and there character names I just LOL and say Lord of the Rings to him. Like anyone can fucking pronounce those name. LOL

message 27: by AH (new) - rated it 5 stars

AH Good comeback line. I'll try that.

Sharon ∞❥ is an emotional book junkie ❥∞ Jennifer (a.k.a The Book Nympho) wrote: "AH wrote: "I just read the Downspeak out loud to my husband, who then rolls his eyes and asks me how I can read these books."

Anytime my husband rolls his eyes at my books and there character name..."

LOL sooo true!

Sarah (SB) ღ | 91 comments That's yet another reason I love my nook! Hubby doesn't see the covers and has no reason for eye rolling. And I stopped reading awesome bits out loud when he started responding with engine timing or tire backspacing. We've agreed to keep our pleasure reading to ourselves ;)

message 30: by Hindley (new) - added it

Hindley (hindlebug) | 29 comments i really would like to know which real american city triumph city is based on,im guessing it is san francisco,satcia said there was a big hint in U/M,which iam totally oblivious to,its just me being daft!!there was a mention of the bay,and the golden gate bridge picture,hence me thinking its san francisco.i could be totally off the mark!

Sarah (SB) ღ | 91 comments Hind wrote: "i really would like to know which real american city triumph city is based on,im guessing it is san francisco,satcia said there was a big hint in U/M,which iam totally oblivious to,its just me bein..."

I missed it too and am also very curious.

Laura *Little Read Riding Hood* (lauralittlereadridinghood) | 148 comments Sarah wrote: "Hind wrote: "i really would like to know which real american city triumph city is based on,im guessing it is san francisco,satcia said there was a big hint in U/M,which iam totally oblivious to,its..."

Yeah, I am in the same boat. I even googled the Chester Airport, to see if that would help, it didn't. I just don't know my cities. :-)

midnightblooms | 11 comments Odd. I always thought it was on the east coast...New York and Washington D.C. being my two favorites, though I'm not convinced it's either one of them. All I remember is the ocean is nearby (less than an hour's drive maybe), a river runs through the city, and there are docks.

I think the Church's similarity to the Puritans and Salem puts me in mind of east coast as well. Maybe Boston? I hadn't thought of that before...

Also, Chester sounds like an abandoned military base to me--barracks, cheap housing near by, lots of open land.

I could be totally off the mark though! LOL

Laura *Little Read Riding Hood* (lauralittlereadridinghood) | 148 comments midnightblooms wrote: "Odd. I always thought it was on the east coast...New York and Washington D.C. being my two favorites, though I'm not convinced it's either one of them. All I remember is the ocean is nearby (less..."

I always thought east coast too ... and Chester was a military base before it was just an airport. But I still don't know where it is! :-( Stacia please help us poor lost souls!

message 35: by Sarah (SB) ღ (last edited Feb 27, 2012 07:14AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sarah (SB) ღ | 91 comments I googled Chester too, then Greenwood, ref page 242 UG. Chess and Terrible went to talk to Earl in Bumps pipe room. He was saying it's not good that they got planes going through there again after what happened. Greenwood air base burned down in 1917. All I came up with was a Canadian Air Base built in 1940-42. It feels like an eastern city to me as well. I think I'm barking up the wrong tree with my clues :( I totally missed the hints in UM...... I was too busy lusting on T ;)

message 36: by Hindley (new) - added it

Hindley (hindlebug) | 29 comments ha,thought i was the only one who googled stuff from the downside ghosts lol!i still think its on the west coast because in COG ,chess mentioned that lauren aka cassie came to triumph city from new york or somewhere near there,so im still guessing it is san francisco or maybe seattle.

message 37: by Hindley (new) - added it

Hindley (hindlebug) | 29 comments i would be really chuffed if stacia answered this particular one,as it has been bugging me for quite some time.

Sarah (SB) ღ | 91 comments Hind wrote: "i would be really chuffed if stacia answered this particular one,as it has been bugging me for quite some time."

maybe if we ask nice ;) Please Ms. Kane, would you please give us a really good and helpful clue? Please

Laura *Little Read Riding Hood* (lauralittlereadridinghood) | 148 comments Sarah wrote: "Hind wrote: "i would be really chuffed if stacia answered this particular one,as it has been bugging me for quite some time."

maybe if we ask nice ;) Please Ms. Kane, would you please give us a ..."

Pretty pretty pretty please with sugar on top? Some of us are geographically challenged, and bad at picking up hints for locations. I will totally mail you cookies :-).

Sarah (SB) ღ | 91 comments oooh, cookies..... that's good! I hadn't thought of bribery!!!

message 41: by Hindley (new) - added it

Hindley (hindlebug) | 29 comments Sarah wrote: "oooh, cookies..... that's good! I hadn't thought of bribery!!!"

i think the best bribery would be funky coloured nail polish,she seems to be partial to them.

Laura *Little Read Riding Hood* (lauralittlereadridinghood) | 148 comments Hindley wrote: "Sarah wrote: "oooh, cookies..... that's good! I hadn't thought of bribery!!!"

i think the best bribery would be funky coloured nail polish,she seems to be partial to them."

Hmmm ... way to think outside the box. If I had an address I could put together a kickin care package. With a brother in Afghanistan, I know how to do that!

message 43: by Stacia (new)

Stacia Kane (staciakane) | 157 comments Mod
Lol!

You know, the funny thing is it never occurred to me that people wouldn't know where it was or wonder about it. It wasn't until after UG was released, I think, that I realized people wanted to know.

There *is* a big hint in UM; it's the name of the cemetery. Google it. (And Triumph City is definitely on the east coast.)

I pretty much give it away in CHASING MAGIC, anyway, I think, because I mention states which border Triumph City in that one.

Sarah (SB) ღ | 91 comments ooh ooh, yay!! I'll start googling right now!!! lol... that's one big bummer about the nook, skimming for quickies is more difficult. Thanks for the hint!! You may collect on our bribe offer as soon as you wish!!

Sarah (SB) ღ | 91 comments OMG! I feel so stupid! I got it! am I not supposed to tell? I don't know how to do the spoiler thingy! WOW,how did I miss that? The pic's I found when I googled fit the mental image perfectly.
Btw, did everyone already know about a search function on a nook? Incredible! A night for discoveries!!! Woo Hoo!!

Sarah (SB) ღ | 91 comments Oh, I just figured out how I missed it.....It was a totally super duper turbo scene! My brain was slightly less than fully functional.

Thanks Stacia!!!

message 47: by Hindley (new) - added it

Hindley (hindlebug) | 29 comments Sarah wrote: "Oh, I just figured out how I missed it.....It was a totally super duper turbo scene! My brain was slightly less than fully functional.

Thanks Stacia!!!"

ohhh,i want to cry now i lent the books to a friend of mine,so i cant do any investigations.ahhhh so frustrating!

message 48: by Hindley (new) - added it

Hindley (hindlebug) | 29 comments Stacia wrote: "Lol!

You know, the funny thing is it never occurred to me that people wouldn't know where it was or wonder about it. It wasn't until after UG was released, I think, that I realized people wanted t..."

thank you so much stacia,it was bugging me for quite some time.

message 49: by Hindley (new) - added it

Hindley (hindlebug) | 29 comments and i still dont know where it is!

Laura *Little Read Riding Hood* (lauralittlereadridinghood) | 148 comments Sarah wrote: "OMG! I feel so stupid! I got it! am I not supposed to tell? I don't know how to do the spoiler thingy! WOW,how did I miss that? The pic's I found when I googled fit the mental image perfectly..."

I have a Kindle, and am not sure if it has the same search function ... I don't remember the name of the cemetery :-( Oh well, guess I have to go read the books yet again!

« previous 1 3 4