The Sword and Laser discussion

Do you love your kindle?

Comments Showing 1-26 of 26 (26 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Mike (new)

Mike | 43 comments An ereader has never been on my radar until I found this site and noticed many of your use kindles. Why do you like your kindle? Thinking of getting one, but love my books!

message 2: by Napoez3 (new)

Napoez3 | 158 comments For me, the best part of having a Kindle is, that I don't have to go buy my next book, or wait until it arrives in my mailbox, 3 clicks in and I bought a book to read. Before having the kindle I read 2-3 books a month, because I don't have time to go every week to the bookshop... now, in the last month I read 4 books and I'm reading the 5th (one was 1Q84, that should count like 3 books!).

Second thing I like -although it might not the best experience- I scan the pages I have to study for my exams and I can take them with me leaving my textbooks at home. Yeah... that might be illegal, but before having a kindle I made photocopies of the books that too was illegal, and I care less than nothing, actually I never thought that as something illegal until now...

I think this are the 2 main reasons I love having a Kindle (eReader), and then again the first one might be a good reason to not buy one.

PS: another good reason is that you can read indi books better... I haven't read any yet, but I already downloaded some.

PS2: Yeah, and having free access to old classics, any book publish 75 years ago (this might depend in your country) , should be public domain aka free :D

message 3: by Alterjess (new)

Alterjess | 319 comments I love my Kindle WAY more than I thought I would. It's a very pleasant reading experience, and there is nothing better than getting to the end of a book and buying the next one in the series RIGHT THERE in bed at 11pm.

The only downside is it's difficult to lend books out. I have a neighbor whose reading tastes overlap with mine, but since we both acquired Kindles we spend a lot of time going "I just read this fantastic book you'd like...oh wait, I only have it on Kindle."

I've recently started taking advantage of the Kindle Lending Library on Amazon, and it's got a lot more in there than I was expecting.

message 4: by Aloha (new)

Aloha | 919 comments I had a Kindle, but now am using an iPad, with the Kindle reader app. I only go back to the cumbersomeness of a paper book only if an eBook is not available. It's especially handy when I'm writing a review. I highlight passages I'm interested in. Sometimes I'd remember a key word, look it up, and find significant passages with that word in it.

My eyesight is bad, so I like to be able to manipulate the lighting, font sizes, and color. Some of those paper book's types are so hard to read, I'd rather not read the book. When I find a passage I want to share, I take a screen shot (with an iPad you can do that) and eMail the picture to a friend to read it.

You can use the text to speech if you're physically busy like cooking dinner or driving, but want to continue with the book.

You can get instant books whenever you feel like reading something, instead of waiting for the item to come in.

I have an iPad, and I love it tons more than the Kindle. If you can save a little more, I'd recommend getting an iPad instead of a Kindle. It's a powerful little computer with tons of apps. available for anything, organization, gaming, drawing, photo, writing, etc., Plus you can eMail, and take video and photos.

message 5: by Brandon (new)

Brandon | 178 comments I am a pretty big reader last year I averaged about 9 books a month and for me the kindle is close to perfect.

I get to have my books in one convenient location, I have no storage space concerns vs. the bookshelves for hundreds of books and tracking down misplaced books. I love being able to quickly buy the next book in a series or another book by the same author instantly. With some older books I would either have to order it online or try 3 or 4 different book stores to find it.

Some ebooks are also cheaper than their new counterpart though that is not a big issue for me as I would have paid the full price for the physical book.

Downsides are lending is rather limited, my family shares books alot so we are on a Kindle account together which makes it easy. But if I want to loan to someone else most of the time they are out of luck.

message 6: by Micah (new)

Micah (onemorebaker) | 1071 comments Try a nook simpel touch. Its $99 without ads and while it doesn't have Amazons library behind it B&N does have just about everything. Plus it has a matte grey finish and thats just better IMO

message 7: by Nick (new)

Nick (whyzen) | 1295 comments I'm not tied to my kindle device. I love the whisper sync system and being able to be just about anywhere and have my kindle book where I can read it. You have the cloud reader which means all you need is a internet connection and a browser and you can get to your books. You can load the reader on your phone and PC. And you can sync across all these different ways of read to where you are reading in your kindle book. This is why I use amazon instead of google books or nook. They simply have readers on every device and whisper sync is awesome.

message 8: by Warren (new)

Warren | 1556 comments I enjoy my kindle more then I expected. My reasons-
1. I was offered my choice at Christmas and got the keyboard version.(That's the least expensive version) It seemed to have the fastest page change.Or at least fast enough for my needs.
2. Amazon sample chapters. Those help me find a style & story I like.It saves me from having to check out six books from a library and Lemming five of them.
3. I can afford the books.
4. I can easily pick up where I left off.
I still read hardcopy when that's the only version available.
I'm more interested in the content then the media.

message 9: by Jill (new)

Jill I have to admit that I have been reluctant to get an ereader - I buy most of my books second hand out of charity stores plus I have shelves filled with books I have yet to read... it just seemed like a waste of money. However I borrowed a friends when I last took a vacation and I was won over completely! I spend a few months a year away from home and being able to travel minus the weight of the books in my bag is appealing. Fairly sure that a kindle is my next purchase - everything everyone has said on this thread just makes me even more excited :)

message 10: by Paul (new)

Paul Nelson (pauln) Noticed recently that more and more books that I like the look of are easily available on kindle for relatively low costs and simply not available in print, or are out of print with a resulting high cost.

Typical books include
Brent Weeks - Perfect shadow
David Dalglish - A dance of cloaks
David Dalglish - A dance of blades
David Dalglish - A dance of death
Brandon Sanderson - the alloy of law, and Infinity blade
Jennifer Pelland - machine
Will Viharo - It came from hangar 18
B. Justin Shier - zero sight

I'm sure there are many more out there especially books not backed by the top end publishers.
I still like to actually read the book and I have a shelf of 50+ books waiting for me so is it time to bow to technology and get the kindle, probably saving on cost and space?

message 11: by Graeme (new)

Graeme Ellis (kapt_kipper) | 65 comments I bought my wife a Kindle (keyboard version) last year, she loved it. I must have helped Amazon sell quite a few Kindles to my wife's friends. This year for Xmas I bought the new Kindle, the keyboardless version for my kids. Even they loved it. I bought a Kobo Vox since the Fire is not available in Canada, if ever. I'm OK with it. It's a bit too slow and I keep thinking it should work more like the Android tablet it isn't. I have to keep reminding myself it's a colour e-reader and not a tablet. It's great for my comics and I have the Kindle app installed on it.

message 12: by Tassie Dave, S&L Historian (new)

Tassie Dave | 3542 comments Mod
As an older reader (almost 50) I love the Kindles ability to change font style and size.

Even with reading glasses, some of my older books are unreadable due to their tiny font size.
As I get older I can make the font larger and still enjoy my reading.

I use the Kindle app on my iPad instead of the stand alone Kindle.

The main reason I love the Kindle app is the instant access to books, I live in a remote mining town and used to rely on mail order and infrequent trips to cities.
But now I can choose and have books in seconds.

message 13: by Ken (new)

Ken (kenwong) | 10 comments Love it, one of the best electronic gadget I bought in years. I use it pretty much everyday and I bring it everywhere.

message 14: by Vicky (new)

Vicky (librovert) | 52 comments I don't own a Kindle, but I do own a Nook Simple Touch and I love it for a few reasons.

For me, the biggest draw was being able to fit thousands of books onto a device that barely the size of one book. I keep a lot of books to re-read (though I rarely actually re-read them), so knowing that I can keep all the books I read without them taking up physical space in my life is a big plus for me.

It's great for travel, no need to carry around tons of books when you can take one eReader!

I do a lot of my reading in bed, and the eReader is so much more comfortable to me. No more awkward positions trying to keep the book all the way open.

eBooks are usually a significant amount less than a physical book, so it puts a little extra money in my pocket. (Not to mention the free books - but you can get them using the Kindle/Nook apps for PCs or Smartphones without buying the reader).

The only thing I don't like about it is that the Simple Touch doesn't have any support for apps. I can connect and share through Facebook and Twitter, but I can't get the Goodreads app.

message 15: by Stan (new)

Stan Slaughter | 359 comments *SIGH*

I wanted a kindle or a nook for a birthday present, but instead my wife got me an ipad2 :(

What was I to do ? Tell her to take it back ?

Now I use the kindle app and nook app both on my iPad - but I still think of how nice a dedicated e-reader would be. Read books in bright lights, go for weeks without re-charging, light weight, etc..

But having an ipad2 as a consolation isn't too bad :)

message 16: by Micah (new)

Micah (onemorebaker) | 1071 comments Stan wrote: "*SIGH*

I wanted a kindle or a nook for a birthday present, but instead my wife got me an ipad2 :(

What was I to do ? Tell her to take it back ?"

yeah hard knock life.....

:)

message 17: by Jason (new)

Jason Bergman (loonyboi) | 166 comments I absolutely love my Kindle.

For a couple of reasons:

I have really bad eyes. I spend all day staring at computer screens, and I get a lot of eye strain. I can increase the font on my Kindle to the point where it's easier on my eyes than most books.

Also, I carry about 50 books at any given time on my Kindle. I love finishing one book and then immediately picking another one from my huge backlog.

I used to have to carry around heavy books all the time (I like big sci-fi and fantasy books, like a lot of people here). It's not an issue anymore!

My local library participates in the Overdrive program for e-book lending, so I always have a book or two I'm waiting on.

I like my iPad. It's a fun toy. I love my kindle. I don't ever want to go back to reading physical books all the time.

message 18: by Nick (last edited Feb 24, 2012 07:29AM) (new)

Nick (whyzen) | 1295 comments Jason wrote: "I love finishing one book and then immediately picking another one from my huge backlog."
Being able to instantly buy and read a book seems to be a main reason people like kindles ( or eBooks in general)
I believe this song summerizes why people love their eBooks and online stores over traditional dead-tree editions and brick and mortar stores.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uMyCa3...

.. because the waiting is the hardest part.

message 19: by Linguana (new)

Linguana | 148 comments I never wanted a Kindle because I simply don't want to be bound to Amazon. So my boyfriend got me a Kobo for Christmas. It was either that or a Sony reader, but we found the Kobo to be the most open device out there.

I love it very much and would never, in a million years, have believed that I'd rather pick up my reader than an actual paper book. I'm still stunned but it's literally my favourite device ever.

message 20: by Jlawrence, S&L Moderator (new)

Jlawrence | 960 comments Mod
Like many here, I really love being able to instantly buy and read books on the Kindle. I also love the dictionary look-up of any word in the text, that's the feature I most addicted to. I like that my highlights and bookmarks are synced across the various Kindle app/device permutations. I have also (there was a thread about this a while back) run out of shelf space in my apt., so going the ebook route is essential now!

I have fallen a bit out of love with the device itself, though, despite its excellent design and ease-of-use, because I surprisingly find myself preferring backlit reading - I like the experience of reading on the kindle app on my phone better than on my 2nd gen Kindle, which goes against my expectations, hearing so much about eye strain with backlit reading (I haven't done any marathon reading sessions with backlit, though). I know the Fire is backlit, but I'm thinking about getting an iPad later this year, and likely will switch to using the Kindle app there for most ebook reading (unless the backlighting does indeed anger my eyes).

message 21: by Micah (new)

Micah (onemorebaker) | 1071 comments Jlawrence wrote: "I also love the dictionary look-up of any word in the text, that's the feature I most addicted to."

Same thing here. Now I have only had a Nook since christmas but have read 4 or 5 books on it since then. I switched over to a dead tree edition for Thinner since I had already picked it up awhile back. When I got to a word that I wasn't sure what it meant I almost tried to tap the book to look it up. That feature is really killer for me.

message 22: by Brad (new)

Brad | 21 comments I own a Nook Color, which I love. Like others have said, you get to control a lot of the text's appearance and tailor it to your eyesight. A drawback is that it kind of sucks when you want to read in sunlight outside. You have to jack up the screen's brightness, which drains the battery.

If reading outside and ultra-long battery life are a must for you in an e-reader, look into the Nook Simple Touch or original Kindle, which use E-Ink technology.

The best part about using an e-reader, in my opinion, is just the reduction in clutter in the house. You don't have to go through the exercise of trying to clear out shelf space.

The downside to using an e-reader is that sharing a book with friends becomes cumbersome. Plus, there's something about a well-kept library of great books that adds to the charm of a home.

I haven't abandoned regular books completely, but the majority of books I buy are for my Nook.

message 23: by Tazzmann (new)

Tazzmann | 16 comments We got a Kindle fire for Christmas (joint gift between my wife and I to each other), and although we enjoy it, we use it more as a tablet than an e-reader. I ended up picking up a Kindle Touch last moth though, and it's awesome. This is the $99 model (in the US), and I feel it is well worth the extra $20 for the onscreen keyboard, since it makes text entry so much easier. I read on by breaks at work, and this is a very convenient way to keep my latest read with me, along with the next if I am getting close to finnishing the current one.

TL;DR - Yes I do!

message 24: by Stuart (new)

Stuart (asfus) | 67 comments I love my Kindle as I find the percentage counter quite addictive. I find myself in bed trying to remain awake just move the count up...

message 25: by terpkristin (new)

terpkristin | 4144 comments Yeah. I find that I split my reading these days between my old 2nd gen Kindle and my Kindle Fire.

I love the portability, especially since I travel a lot. I don't like the annotation features in Kindle, so I find myself taking notes every now and then instead of just flagging pages like I do with DTB's. But I too love the word look-up. It was very handy when reading Infinite Jest. Also handy was the "hyperlink" type feature, where I could go back and forth easily between the main text and the footnotes.

message 26: by Dazerla (new)

Dazerla | 222 comments As someone who remembers using mobipocket back in the day, I've been so happy with verity that can be found on kindle, and love being able to cart around me an iPad that doesn't just have my current book but most of my previous purchases on it. I've always loved the idea of ebooks and am glad to see them coming of age. I'm more likely to weight for a book to come out in eformat, that just pick up a physical version these days and I love that.