Jane Austen discussion

Pride and Prejudice - The Musical

Comments Showing 1-24 of 24 (24 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Nicole (new)

Nicole | 18 comments I'm pretty new to the group and have not searched through all the older posts, so if this has already been under discussion, I apologize!

I was wondering if anyone has had a chance to see "Pride & Prejudice - the Musical"?? It's obvious the play is a bit different from the book in order to adapt to the stage (i.e. Throughout the play, Jane Austen is writing P&P, and in the end Darcy asks her for a second chance to propose to Lizzy) but the music sounds beautiful!

http://www.pride-prejudice-musical.com

What do you think?

message 2: by Caity (new)

Caity | 144 comments I LOVE LOVE LOVE "Fine Eyes", Darcy has a good voice!

message 3: by Sophie (new)

Sophie | 1458 comments WHAT! the musical? i have never heard of this. now i am interested!!! how do they turn it musical ?!?
and how is it? good?

message 4: by Caity (last edited Feb 22, 2012 03:49PM) (new)

Caity | 144 comments Soph wrote: "WHAT! the musical? i have never heard of this. now i am interested!!! how do they turn it musical ?!?
and how is it? good?"

I haven't seen it (YET) but it definitely looks good! :D I do hope there is a soundtrack! I know they have a few free MP3's,(including Fine Eyes) but Idk if they have an official cd yet.

message 5: by Sophie (new)

Sophie | 1458 comments its a film yes? when did it come out? new or older? really intriging...
understand why they would have a fine eyes song... ;)

message 6: by Nicole (new)

Nicole | 18 comments I don't think they have a film of this...The website says the show is going to New York, so it will probably become big. I hope they have made or will make a soundtrack - I would LOVE to hear all the songs in their entirety.

message 7: by Sophie (new)

Sophie | 1458 comments oh right!! its a show. i see, in America i take it. shame - i live in England ... if you have a link to a sound clip or something i would love to hear a bit :) or if anyone has or is going to see it would love to hear a little more about it :)

message 8: by Caity (new)

Caity | 144 comments http://www.pride-prejudice-musical.co...

well here is the link to the music page on the website where you can listen to bits of the songs.
I would love to see it at some point, and if I do, I'll be sure to tell you how it is! but I doubt I'll see it in NY, thats wishful thinking! ;P

message 9: by Sophie (new)

Sophie | 1458 comments Thanks and yeah same... 16 year old who lives pretty far away - unrealistic!!!

message 10: by Caity (new)

Caity | 144 comments Soph wrote: "Thanks and yeah same... 16 year old who lives pretty far away - unrealistic!!!"

me too! lol

message 11: by Nicole (new)

Nicole | 18 comments Soph wrote: "shame- i live in England ..."

oooh! I don't that's a shame at all! ;) I would love to visit England some day! My sisters, Mom, and I love to watch all these JA films and we LOVE trying to copy the lovely accents that the actors & actresses have. :]

message 12: by Sophie (new)

Sophie | 1458 comments 'oooh! I don't that's a shame at all! ;) I would love to visit England some day! My sisters, Mom, and I love to watch all these JA films and we LOVE trying to copy the lovely accents that the actors & actresses have. :] '
ahaha thats hilarious!!! that is one thing i love about being english - the strong connection with JA

Also, if you ever do i recommend trying to see some of the houses that our used in the adapations :)
for example, i live near Basildon House (about 20 mins away which is BRILLIANT for me) and that was used as Netherfield in the 2005 P&P.
I visit it often and love it their - feels a bit like im from the 19th century when im their :D love being able to vivst the places where the magic happens :)

message 13: by Nicole (new)

Nicole | 18 comments Soph wrote: "i live near Basildon House (about 20 mins away which is BRILLIANT for me) and that was used as Netherfield in the 2005 P&P."

ARE YOU SERIOUS?!?! That is SO cool!!! And that is a great suggestion; if I ever get to visit over there, I will have to look up the lovely houses!

I also love the Bennet's house in the 2005 P&P, and how in the film you can definitely see the evidences of 6 women living beneath it's roof :)

message 14: by Sophie (new)

Sophie | 1458 comments That's soo true! And Pemberley is STUNNING!! it is in the series too...
I have a jumper that says 'i'd rather be at Pemberley' unfortunately it's true!!

message 15: by Caity (new)

Caity | 144 comments No. Way. !!!! I can't believe you live near Netherfield!!! so, wait, you've been INSIDE!?!? that is EPIC!
I would have loved to be English! ;D
I will definitely be visiting England someday....It's a must! lol
Aw! so true! I've seen that saying on pins and t-shirts and mugs and cards and so on; so cute!

message 16: by Sophie (new)

Sophie | 1458 comments Alice wrote - 'No. Way. !!!! I can't believe you live near Netherfield!!! so, wait, you've been INSIDE!?!? that is EPIC!'
I have... many times! it gorgoeous! and in all the grounds and outside the front and everything!!!
i have also been to Pemberely (2005) and... the Crown Inn (where she stays when in Derbyshire and recieves the letter from Jane - again 2005)

message 17: by Nicole (new)

Nicole | 18 comments Soph wrote: "I have... many times! it gorgoeous!"

Did you get to watch them do any of the filming in 2005?!

message 18: by Sophie (new)

Sophie | 1458 comments No unfortunately as I am now 16, when It was made I was only 9 so I wasn't old enough to be interested really. But it's so cool to see the ballroom and all that !!! Love it there! Go their a lot!!! Xx

message 19: by Isabel (new)

Isabel (isabelc) | 13 comments I saw the play with Susan Hampshire in it. Was really good, and funny too :)

message 20: by Caity (new)

Caity | 144 comments Soph wrote: "No unfortunately as I am now 16, when It was made I was only 9 so I wasn't old enough to be interested really. But it's so cool to see the ballroom and all that !!! Love it there! Go their a lot!!! Xx"

Ugh sounds like a dream! Lol Ooh the ballroom is so awesome! I would love to see it sometime. Is it set up like in the movie (furniture n stuff) or is it different?
Haha I was too, so I hardly knew what P&P was! XD Lol
well, Soph, I must say all this sounds thrilling!

message 21: by Caity (new)

Caity | 144 comments Isabel wrote: "I saw the play with Susan Hampshire in it. Was really good, and funny too :)"

the play? or the musical?

message 22: by Sophie (new)

Sophie | 1458 comments Alcie wrote - 'Ugh sounds like a dream! Lol Ooh the ballroom is so awesome! I would love to see it sometime. Is it set up like in the movie (furniture n stuff) or is it different?
Haha I was too, so I hardly knew what P&P was! XD Lol
well, Soph, I must say all this sounds thrilling!'

It is pretty similar though they had to change somethings to protect the real furtinure and the walls but it is very recognisable!! basically amazing - sorry im propbably making you more and more jealous!!!
oh so are you also 16? and i wish i was older when it was filmed as i would have appreciated it more - but i am pleased that i can visit it and i have stood in the spot where Darcy (MacFayden) helped Lizzy into the carriage and looked at her with those eyes... and skin on skin touch... #swoon# :D

message 23: by Caity (new)

Caity | 144 comments Oh no, not jealous, I'm glad you get to enjoy it, your just making me more excited about hopefully someday visiting!
Yes, I am. :D
That is SO coooool!!!!!!! *sigh* ;)

message 24: by Ev (new)

Ev (navysister) OH MY GOD! YES!!!