Richard III discussion

How does this work?

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Joan (new)

Joan Szechtman | 401 comments Greg House (his real name), a fellow writer and Goodreads' author has just reviewed his own book here. I well understand the need to promote one's work, and judging from what I've read of House's works, his own review is probably not too different from what others would give the book, *but* this is for me beyond the pale. Am I misinterpreting the review? What do others think?

message 2: by Darkpool (new)

Darkpool | 91 comments I didn't read the review, but it seems to me he needs to be invited to become a goodreads author, so then the review would get tagged as being "from the author."

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (susannag) Like his spelling of sorcery! It'll be no thank you on this one for me.

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (susannag) Darkpool wrote: "I didn't read the review, but it seems to me he needs to be invited to become a goodreads author, so then the review would get tagged as being "from the author.""

Good point.

message 5: by Misfit (new)

Misfit | 1139 comments Mod
That is pretty tacky. I know GR authors will put their books on their shelves (some times with a rating, sometimes not) but it usually says review from author somewhere.

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (susannag) I believe, in fact, that he can just click the "Is this you?" button at the bottom of the page for Gregory House.

message 7: by Joan (new)

Joan Szechtman | 401 comments Having your own book(s) on their shelves just means that you may get a request from a reader to send it.

message 8: by Andrew (last edited Feb 22, 2012 05:52PM) (new)

Andrew Ashling (andrewashling) | 39 comments Strange.
As an author you can talk at length about your book in the description. You can also blog about it and publish a sample. All this on your author's page.
I will admit I put my own books on my own stuff-i-wrote-shelf, and in groups that allow it, I have been known to put them on the group shelves as well. If and when appropriate.
No need to review your book and certainly no need to rate it. It's a given you think it's fine, or you wouldn't have published it.
On a side note: if I ever decide to write a R-III-related book (unlikely, but you never know), can I put it on the groups shelves, or is that frowned upon?

message 9: by Misfit (new)

Misfit | 1139 comments Mod
Andrew, you may put your own RIII books on the group's shelf.

message 10: by Darkpool (new)

Darkpool | 91 comments Now I've read it, it's clear he's talking about his own book... which apart from anything else seems extremely cheesy to me!

message 11: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer | 2 comments I don't think he's breaking any rules, but he's not establishing any credibility for himself either.