The Sword and Laser discussion

80's sci fi movies

Comments Showing 1-41 of 41 (41 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Brad Theado (new)

Brad Theado | 217 comments We have spent a lot of time discussing 80's books and video games but no reference has been made to 80's sci fi and fantasy movies. Or least none that I have seen.

Being a child of the 80's myself, I remember when the video rental company came to town and all the cheesy 80's sci fi became available to me.

I am thinking of movies like Legend, Krull, Conan, Beastmaster, Aliens, Blade Runner. Here is a good source for 80's sci fi movies: http://listverse.com/2009/02/20/top-2...

I didn't list obvious ones like Ghostbusters or ET because I really like the cheesy ones.

message 2: by Micah (last edited Feb 22, 2012 07:05AM) (new)

Micah (onemorebaker) | 1071 comments You mean like Highlander? Just recently rewatched that one and man it does not hold up for me at all.

You might be interested in a podcast also on The Frogpants network called Film Sack. They take old '80s movies (for the most part) and discuss them today. It's really entertaining and can be very insightful.

http://filmsack.com/

message 3: by Boots (new)

Boots (rubberboots) | 499 comments The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai Across the 8th Dimension - great movie or the greatest movie?

message 4: by Graeme (last edited Feb 22, 2012 12:24PM) (new)

Graeme Ellis (kapt_kipper) | 65 comments Boots wrote: "The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai Across the 8th Dimension - great movie or the greatest movie?"

Agreed, Monkey Boy

Sincerely John Bigboote

For Chessy try

Repo Man
Looker
Trancers

message 5: by Patrick (new)

Patrick (fluffrick) | 6 comments Best eighties sci-fi movie and no mention of "The Last Starfighter"?

For shame, Sword and Laser group, for (mock)shame!

Eighties sci-fi doesn't always hold up, but that movie really does.

And on the Sword side of the eighties equation, "Labyrinth" is still excellent on Blu-Ray.

message 6: by aldenoneil (new)

aldenoneil | 1000 comments I've been watching quite a few on Netflix of late. Liam Neeson was the Kevin Bacon of 80s sci-fi/fantasy films.

message 7: by Derrick (new)

Derrick (noetichatter) They Live

/thread

message 8: by Andy (new)

Andy Runton | 19 comments "Weird Science" holds up.
"Megaforce" ... does not. ;)
"They Live" works in concept... but there's an extended wrestling scene in the middle there that totally kills it.

message 9: by Derrick (new)

Derrick (noetichatter) Andy wrote:
"They Live" works in concept... but there's an extended wrestling scene in the middle there that totally kills it."

Truthfully, I usually end up losing interest about half way through it. But I love that first half!

message 10: by Irene (new)

Irene McHugh (irenemchugh) | 25 comments Has anyone watched The Dark Crystal as an adult? I loved that movie as a kid, but I haven't watched it in years. I think I'll be let down.

message 11: by Warren (new)

Warren | 1556 comments There were some great movies made in the 80's.
My guess is that after Spaceballs people tried to just forget the entire decade.

message 12: by Graeme (new)

Graeme Ellis (kapt_kipper) | 65 comments Irene wrote: "Has anyone watched The Dark Crystal as an adult? I loved that movie as a kid, but I haven't watched it in years. I think I'll be let down."

I wasn't. It was still good.

message 13: by Jlawrence, S&L Moderator (last edited Feb 22, 2012 08:44PM) (new)

Jlawrence | 960 comments Mod
How could Tron have missed mention so far?? (Yes, it's bad, but it's cheesy-fun-bad for me, and the abstraction of the CGI helps it still be visually charming).

Actually, there was some previous discussion of 80's sci-fi & fantasy movies on the Ready Player One-inspired How does 80s pop culture hold up thread (along with a lot of other 80's stuff, naturally).

Graeme wrote: "Irene wrote: "Has anyone watched The Dark Crystal as an adult? I loved that movie as a kid, but I haven't watched it in years. I think I'll be let down."

I wasn't. It was still good."

I don't love it as much as I did as a kid, some of its clunkiness is much more apparent, but it's still good, and the imagination that went into its world is still great to experience.

message 14: by Irene (new)

Irene McHugh (irenemchugh) | 25 comments Thanks JLawrence and Graeme.

I am afraid of the clunkiness bothering me, but also the plot line. I re-watched The Neverending Story a couple of years ago and I was kind of disappointed. The movie was still gorgeous; I felt immersed in the world of Fantasia. Thematically, I still loved the message about the power of books (ignoring that this message was being presented in the easier-to-digest movie form). However, I couldn't believe how quickly everything happened.

Perhaps I've watched the extended versions of The Lord of the Rings too many times.

message 15: by Ryan (new)

Ryan Curtis (kingtriton92) | 62 comments enemy mine... nuff said.

message 16: by Pickle (new)

Pickle | 192 comments No John Carpenter :(

message 17: by Martin (new)

Martin (martinc36au) | 79 comments Boots wrote: "The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai Across the 8th Dimension - great movie or the greatest movie?"

No matter where you go, there you are. Greatest.

message 18: by John (new)

John Bullock (beagrie) | 120 comments Micah wrote: "You mean like Highlander? Just recently rewatched that one and man it does not hold up for me at all.

You might be interested in a podcast also on The Frogpants network called Film Sack. They ta..."

Notion seconded. I love Filmsack.

message 19: by Brad (new)

Brad | 21 comments I remember watching Ice Pirates over and over again when I was a kid. That was very cheesy and very fun.

message 20: by Alterjess (new)

Alterjess | 319 comments Dark Crystal totally still holds up, as does Labyrinth.

message 21: by Sean (new)

Sean O'Hara (seanohara) | 2365 comments I don't know that Labyrinth is a great film, but it did give rise to the greatest website of the '90s.

message 22: by Stan (new)

Stan Slaughter | 359 comments The Best 80's fantasy movie:
Big Trouble in Little China - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0090728/

The best 80's action adventure sci fi movie:
Escape from New York - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0082340/

Note: Big Trouble holds up great. Escape from new york - not so much. But I still think Snake Plissken was one of the coolest characters from the 80's

message 23: by Micah (last edited Feb 23, 2012 10:13PM) (new)

Micah (onemorebaker) | 1071 comments Sean wrote: "I don't know that Labyrinth is a great film, but it did give rise to the greatest website of the '90s."

YOU BASTARD!!!! I FOLLOWED THE LINK!!! NOW IM RUINED FOR EVER!!!! :)

message 24: by Chet (new)

Chet Williams (clamontwilliams) | 7 comments Boots wrote: "The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai Across the 8th Dimension - great movie or the greatest movie?"

Great movie, we were just debating this in the office the other day. Rockstar scientist, two thumbs up!

message 25: by Alex (new)

Alex (metal-king) | 19 comments Even though its not faithful to Conan lore, Conan the Barbarian is absolutely one of my favorite films ever made. I get chills during the intro about Krom and the enigma of steel. Watching the movie on DVD with commentary on is hilarious as well. John Millius is very serious about the movie and its clear that Arnold hasn't thought about it since it was released.
I also agree with Stan about Big Trouble in Little China, I just watched that one again a few weeks ago. I used to be a Jack Burton quote machine. Some of them probably embedded permanently in my vocabulary.

message 26: by Boots (new)

Boots (rubberboots) | 499 comments I agree with Stan as well, Big Trouble in Little China and Escape from New York were awesome in fact I like Kurt Russel movies in general, although I tried watching Escape from L.A. the other day and couldn't handle it, once was enough for that one apparently. He has that movie Soldier and it was such a horrible movie but I've lost track of how many time I've watched that movie now.

Another couple of good ones that were cheesy in a good way were Evil Dead and Evil Dead II

message 27: by Warren (new)

Warren | 1556 comments While in ICU some patients find the Escape from New York quote funny. Greeting each other with, "Snake Plissken I heard of you…."
They're families don't always see the humor.
Oh well.

message 28: by Robert (new)

Robert H (chiroho) | 25 comments For me the best SciFi movies of the 80s were, in sort of an order:
- The Empire Strikes Back (1980), which I haven't seen mentioned at all here
- Blade Runner (1982)
- The Terminator (1984)
- Back to the Future (1985)
- Outland (1981)
- Predator (1987)
- Aliens (1986)
- RoboCop (1987)
- The Last Starfighter (1984)
- The Abyss (1989)
- Short Circuit (1986)
- Electric Dreams (1984)
- D.A.R.Y.L. (1985)

Not sure how well some of these films would hold up now, especially ones like Electric Dreams and D.A.R.Y.L, but there were a lot of great SciFi movies throughout the 80s.

message 29: by Adam (new)

Adam Matheson Andy wrote: ""Weird Science" holds up.
"Megaforce" ... does not. ;)
"They Live" works in concept... but there's an extended wrestling scene in the middle there that totally kills it."

If by kills it you mean MAKES THE WHOLE MOVIE AWESOME, then yes I agree with my whole heart.
As for 80's sci-fi movies I think one of my favorites was Saturn 3 with Kirk Douglas and Harvey Keitel!

message 30: by Brad Theado (new)

Brad Theado | 217 comments Weird Science is a favorite of mine, Id forgotten about it.

message 31: by Charles (new)

Charles Cadenhead (thatcharliedude) | 190 comments No one mentioned Time Bandits (81) which is mostly sword with a little lazer thrown in. Super cheesy and still holds up.

message 32: by Charles (new)

Charles Cadenhead (thatcharliedude) | 190 comments BTW, Iceman is on Netflix streaming in 3/1. If you have never seen it catch it before it's gone (at least from streaming).

message 33: by Pickle (new)

Pickle | 192 comments The Explorers was a great 80's kids movie.

message 34: by AndrewP (new)

AndrewP (andrewca) | 2481 comments Adam wrote: "As for 80's sci-fi movies I think one of my favorites was Saturn 3 with Kirk Douglas and Harvey Keitel! "

Except for the scene where a 50 year old plus Kirk Douglas fights naked with Harvey Keitel! The nearly nude Farrah Fawcett sort of balances it out I guess :)

message 35: by Louie (last edited Feb 28, 2012 09:19AM) (new)

Louie (rmutt1914) | 881 comments Two words: Inner Space.

EDIT: Although, now that I looked it up, it's spelled as one word. Oops.

message 36: by AndrewP (new)

AndrewP (andrewca) | 2481 comments Here's a couple of cult ones nobody has mentioned.

Sheena
Deathstalker I-IV
Barbarian Queen I and II
Gor and Gor II

( I never said they were good ones. )

message 37: by Skip (new)

Skip | 517 comments I have one word for you all ... KHAAAAAAN!

message 38: by Skip (new)

Skip | 517 comments Graeme wrote: "Boots wrote: "The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai Across the 8th Dimension - great movie or the greatest movie?"

Agreed, Monkey Boy

Sincerely John Bigboote"

It's Bigbooté.

I loved that movie too. I cannot believe it hasn't been remade.

message 39: by Joseph (new)

Joseph | 2269 comments There were some great fantasy movies out of Hong Kong back in the day also -- Zu: Warriors from the Magic Mountain, Chinese Ghost Story, Bride with White Hair, etc.

message 40: by Keith (new)

Keith (keithatc) Joseph wrote: "There were some great fantasy movies out of Hong Kong back in the day also -- Zu: Warriors from the Magic Mountain, Chinese Ghost Story, Bride with White Hair, etc."

Robotrix!

...err, maybe less so

message 41: by Glenn (new)

Glenn | 24 comments Nobody Mentioned Return of the Jedi?
You mean no one remembers Return of the Jedi before it got Lucused.

What about Battle beyond the stars.
Hanger 18?
Superman 2?
Heavy Metal?
ET? anyone?
Swamp thing?
Tron?
Anna to the Infinite Power?
2010?
Dune?
Firestarter?
Night of the Comet?