The Sword and Laser discussion

Scifi / Fantasy News > Beyond Pluto

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Warren (new)

Warren | 1556 comments (The planet,not the dog)
There's an article on IO9 about the possibility of a giant planet hidden far beyond Pluto. Link- http://goo.gl/7VWw3
It's existence is a real long shot but should generate some good SF stories.

message 2: by Nick (new)

Nick (whyzen) | 1295 comments Wasn't Planet X the planet hiding behind Jupiter back in the day. It was used in some really bad sci-fi stories until the voyager probes and better scientific tools helped prove it wasn't there. I wonder if this will be the same.

message 3: by Warren (last edited Feb 22, 2012 07:50PM) (new)

Warren | 1556 comments You might be right. It was that or Neptune. They used Planet X to explain why their calculations were off. Sort of a astronomical Finagle's Constant.In this case I still don't understand how you hide a giant planet behind Pluto.

message 4: by Joseph (new)

Joseph | 2293 comments Yuggoth on the Rim. Rivers of pitch flowing through cities of black stone towers.

message 5: by Israel (new)

Israel | 80 comments I don't know anything about giant planets out there but there is some odd stuff out on the rim. Radiolab did a podcast recently that had a section on the voyager craft and the weirdness they are up to now. Here's the section of the episode. http://www.radiolab.org/2012/feb/20/e...

message 6: by Warren (new)

Warren | 1556 comments Israel wrote: "I don't know anything about giant planets out there but there is some odd stuff out on the rim.

It's an extreme long shot that there's a big planet out there. I think they put the odds at around 2%. Still, until disproved it's fair game for Scifi writers.

message 7: by terpkristin (new)

terpkristin | 4188 comments Israel wrote: "I don't know anything about giant planets out there but there is some odd stuff out on the rim. Radiolab did a podcast recently that had a section on the voyager craft and the weirdness they are up..."

I just listened to that episode. I thought that segment was far and away the weakest part of it.

message 8: by Doug (new)

Doug (dougoftheabaci) The Egyptians had another, larger planet in our solar system as well. If someone points that out it's going to be the damned Mayans all over again...

message 9: by Joseph (new)

Joseph | 2293 comments Doug wrote: "The Egyptians had another, larger planet in our solar system as well. If someone points that out it's going to be the damned Mayans all over again..."

As long as I don't have to watch 2012.

message 10: by Doug (new)

Doug (dougoftheabaci) Nope, just "2112: Beyond The Rim."

message 11: by Jared (new)

Jared | 5 comments Considering that the hypothetical Oort cloud is nearly 1 light year from the Sun, I figure there could be anything out beyond Pluto. For sure there has to be a Starbucks. :P