Chicks On Lit discussion

Other Hot Book Discussions > Funniest Book You've Ever Read?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 83 (83 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Andrea (new)

Andrea I've read a lot of sad books lately so I'd like to know which books really made you laugh in the past in order to get some ideas for myself.

message 2: by Mary (last edited Feb 22, 2012 05:21AM) (new)

Mary (marybt) | 336 comments Anything by Erma Bombeck. Any of Dave Barry's old work. Anything by Celia Rivenbark. Bill Bryson. (Those 4 write short stories.)

If you prefer a whole book, I'd say the funniest thing I've ever read was Huckleberry Finn followed closely by The Architecture of the Arkansas Ozarks.

message 3: by Mary (new)

Mary | 6 comments I like Carl Hiassen for humor.

message 4: by Mandy (new)

Mandy Petrocelli I don't read many funny books, but I really enjoyed Sh*t My Dad Says by Justin Halpern .

very clever. and ultimately endearing. some strong language, though.

message 5: by Misty (new)

Misty | 171 comments I love the Sookie Stackhouse novels because they make me laugh! Honestly though, I only listen to them because I absolutely love the way Johanna Parker narrates them. I don't know if I'd find them as funny if I were reading them. I might, but I'm not going to try it! :)

message 6: by Mary (new)

Mary (marybt) | 336 comments Roughing It by Mark Twain is pretty hilarious too.

Did you find anything, Andrea?

message 7: by Beth (new)

Beth  (techeditor) | 30 comments Marley & Me: Life and Love with the World's Worst Dog
I never deliberately pick a book that's supposed to be funny because deliberately funny isn't funny to me. But I read this because Grogan, the author, grew up in a city very near me, and we're about the same age. This book is sometimes laugh-out-loud funny

message 8: by Viola (new)

Viola | 1014 comments Beth wrote: "Marley & Me: Life and Love with the World's Worst Dog
I never deliberately pick a book that's supposed to be funny because deliberately funny isn't funny to me. But I read this becaus..."

Uh... yes, there are very funny parts, but that is also a very sad book.

message 9: by Tyler (new)

Tyler (tyleralysea) | 63 comments All of David Sedaris' books have made me lol. David Sedaris

message 10: by Nicole D. (new)

Nicole D. (thereadingrebel) I think Jane Austen and Georgette Heyer's books are really funny.But I don't really know what the funniest book I have ever read is.

message 11: by QueenAmidala28 (new)

QueenAmidala28 Milkrun by Sarah Mlynowski Extremely funny if you are a young woman out of college . . .

message 12: by Jamie (new)

Jamie | 1 comments Tina Fey' "Bossypants". Hilarious! I found myself laughing out loud several times.

message 13: by Mish (new)

Mish Mandy wrote: "I don't read many funny books, but I really enjoyed Sh*t My Dad Says by Justin Halpern.

very clever. and ultimately endearing. some strong language, though."

Mandy, this book sound very funny...i think i might enjoy reading it :)

message 14: by Shelley (new)

Shelley | 74 comments I agree w/both Nicole and Jamie. Jane Austen and Tina Fey are worlds apart, but they both have some really witty things to say about the world of men.

Shelley
Rain: A Dust Bowl Story
http://dustbowlpoetry.wordpress.com

message 15: by Beth (last edited Feb 28, 2012 08:05AM) (new)

Beth  (techeditor) | 30 comments Viola wrote: "Beth wrote: "Marley & Me: Life and Love with the World's Worst Dog
I never deliberately pick a book that's supposed to be funny because deliberately funny isn't funny to me. But I read..."

Yes, sad in the end as are most books about animals.

message 16: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lmmmml) | 82 comments This is not real serious reading, but the Stephanie Plum series always makes me laugh out loud.

message 17: by Megan (new)

Megan Underwood | 267 comments Lisa wrote: "This is not real serious reading, but the Stephanie Plum series always makes me laugh out loud."

Lisa - I was going to say the same thing about Plum books. They were funny.

message 18: by Abby (new)

Abby | 119 comments Two - 1. Lamb by Christopher Moore is fantastic; and 2. Baby Laughs: The Naked Truth About the First Year of Mommyhood. #2 is particulary funny if you are a mother.

message 20: by Andrea (new)

Andrea Thanks for all of the suggestions. I'll definitely try some of those!

message 21: by Usako (new)

Usako (bbmeltdown) | 654 comments I love anything by Terry Pratchett. It's ridiculous, humorous, and witty.

message 22: by Novi (new)

Novi | 4 comments I find Ellen DeGeneres' books to be very funny :)

message 23: by [deleted user] (new)

I highly recommend Domestic Violets, it's smart, it's relevant to our everyday lives and above all, very, very funny.
Also, as it was mentioned, Georgette Heyer. Her mysteries are positively hilarious and are bound to put you in a good mood.

message 24: by Amanda (new)

Amanda (imamandamichele) Good Omens. I laughed the whole way through.

message 25: by Lynn (new)

Lynn Reynolds (lynnreynolds) HI all - I haven't posted in ages - been trying to spend less time on the Internet these days - but I had to join in on this one. I definitely agree about David Sedaris, especially Holidays on Ice, which includes his essay about his stint as a Christmas elf at Macy's. I also still think the two Bridget Jones novels by Helen Fielding are some of the funniest books I've ever read in my life. And last but definitely not least, I recommend Douglas Adams to anyone who's a Terry Pratchett fan.

message 26: by Renee (new)

Renee (elenarenee) | 275 comments I laugh at the Stephanie Plums,Terry Pratchett and Christopher Moore

message 28: by Cassie (last edited Mar 30, 2012 08:09PM) (new)

Cassie | 487 comments Admittedly, they aren't novels but the Get Fuzzy comics by Darby Conley have been collected into books, and they always make me laugh.

I totally agree with Terry Pratchett--he can be both hilarious and profound. Also, P.G. Wodehouse novels usually make me smile at least.

message 29: by Catherine (new)

Catherine Robertson Mary wrote: "Anything by Erma Bombeck. Any of Dave Barry's old work. Anything by Celia Rivenbark. Bill Bryson. (Those 4 write short stories.)

Erma Bombeck was a genius.My mother bought all her paperbacks and I still have every tattered, well-read one!

message 30: by Catherine (new)

Catherine Robertson The Tent, the Bucket and Me
This is a non-fiction account of the author's ill-fated childhood camping trips. I was genuinely in pain from laughing so much. I was compelled to read out parts to my husband and sons, even though they have expressly forbidden me from doing do because I do it all the time and it drives them crazy - and THEY laughed!

message 31: by Barbara (new)

Barbara (auntbarb) | 164 comments Anything by David Sedaris, especially if he's reading it out loud. And Sarah Vowell.

message 32: by Ann (new)

Ann | 28 comments It may sound odd, but the first book I always think of for humor is 'Lolita.' Another book with great moments is 'Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close.' i read the first chapter aloud to the hubs and it took almost ten minutes because I was laughing so hard, I was crying. (Of course both of these books are much darker, but so funny in places.) Lastly, and maybe a bit more acceptable, I would recommend 'Northanger Abbey' by Jane Austen. Very funny. Had me smiling all the way through.

message 33: by Vered (new)

Vered (vered_ehsani) I loved My Sweet Saga - laugh out loud sections with quirky insights and great writing.

message 34: by Samirah (new)

Samirah | 6 comments I think Can you keep a secret by Sophie Kinsella was pretty funny

message 35: by Corie (new)

Corie | 2 comments A Walk in the Woods by Bill Bryson

message 36: by T. (new)

T. (caffeinejunkie) | 2 comments Bitter is the New Black, Such a Pretty Fat and My Fair Lazy all by Jen Lancaster. Books by Celia Rivenbark like We're Just Like You, Only Prettier and You Can't Drink All Day If You Don't Start In the Morning.

message 37: by Melissa (new)

Melissa T. wrote: "Bitter is the New Black, Such a Pretty Fat and My Fair Lazy all by Jen Lancaster. Books by Celia Rivenbark like We're Just Like You, Only Prettier and You Can't Drink All Day If You Don't Start In ..."

I agree! I love Jen Lancaster and Celia Rivenbark.

message 38: by Melissa (new)

Melissa Corie wrote: "A Walk in the Woods by Bill Bryson"

I agree with this one also - many laugh out loud moments. I also loved Sh*t My Dad Says. This book had me laughing out loud the entire way through. A definite must if you've only been reading weepy books or super intense novels as well.

message 40: by T. (new)

T. (caffeinejunkie) | 2 comments Suzzette wrote: "The Idiot Girls' Action-Adventure Club: True Tales from a Magnificent and Clumsy Life

This is drop dead funny. I love Laurie Notaro"

I haven't read that one yet. Going on my TBR list.:)

message 41: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie Haefner | 16 comments I really loved the Queen of Babble Series by Meg Cabot: Queen of Babble (Queen of Babble, #1) by Meg Cabot And for a hilarious memoir.....funny only if you've already experienced the miracle of pregnancy, labor and delivery, terrifying if you haven't, Jenny McCarthy's Belly Laughs: Belly Laughs The Naked Truth About Pregnancy and Childbirth by Jenny McCarthy

Terri ♥ (aka Mrs. Christian Grey) (mybookboyfriend) | 149 comments Two of the funniest books I've read are Nice Girls Don't Have Fangs (Jane Jameson, #1) by Molly Harper Bite Me A Love Story by Christopher Moore

message 43: by Zoe (new)

Zoe Brooks (potok) | 21 comments When I was in hospital the nurses kept asking what was making me laugh, it was My Family and Other Animals

message 44: by Michele (last edited Jul 08, 2012 03:54AM) (new)

Michele Brenton (banana_the_poet) | 17 comments The No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency (No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency #1) by Alexander McCall Smith The No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency
This is a lot of fun and the good news is it is the first of a LONG series by Alexander McCall Smith so if you love it (and I expect you will) there are plenty more to go.

Each book stands alone so you don't feel suckered in to buy the next one - I ended up reading them all in a few weeks because they are such good escapist fun.

Marialyce (absltmom, yaya) Three Men in a Boat and Three Men on the Bummel. Although and oldie made me lol when these spoiled British chaps get together for a boating vacation.

message 46: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn Brooks | 1 comments Six of One, Rita Mae Brown, though sad in places, is really funny in others.Six of One

message 47: by Agnesbooks (last edited Aug 04, 2013 01:31PM) (new)

Agnesbooks | 1 comments 1) Three Men In a Boat - Jerome K Jerome. Amused me no end. It was supposed to be a travel book, which is why the humour flows so naturally and effortlessly for the reader. The dog Montmoracy made me laugh the most. It's very old but some of the archaic language makes it even funnier in my opinion. It's free on Kindle as well

2) The Supply Chain Mong - S.C Lawson. I found this book pretty funny. It's a bit more forced than Three Men in a Boat and some of the writing is a bit sloppy. But it's an amusing account of a workplace i'm sure we've all experienced at one time or another.

3) Round Ireland with a fridge - Tony Hawks. Bizarre concept, but quite a funny read as well. A little slow in places, but i personally found it easy to picture the scenarios he got himself in to. The follow ups were not as good as far as i'm aware but not read any of them myself.

message 48: by Danielle (new)

Danielle Rohr (wybearpress) | 23 comments Has to be : Good Omens: The Nice and Accurate Prophecies of Agnes Nutter, Witch
Each page brought another hysterical smile to my face. What I liked most about this book, is that I can imagine it was just as funny to write, as it was to read!

Petra X is very happy & even more confused (petra-x) What We Did On Our Holidays is very black, quite offensive and insanely funny. Not in a bizarro way, but just the 'normal' black humour way. I wrote a short review of it but essentially it is about a family holiday where all the main characters are almost normal, at least superficially. It was snorking, spluttering funny.

message 50: by Nathalia (new)

Nathalia | 26 comments My Family Right Or Wrong by Ephraim Kishon and The Secret Diary of Adrian Mole, Aged 13 3/4 (Adrian Mole, #1) by Sue Townsend

Both of these had me laughing so hard I stopped reading them in public, but felt like reading them to other people under convulsions.

« previous 1